port tunneling over ssh (not port-forwarding in the traditional sense)

Does anybody know of a way to do port forwarding over ssh not using the
standard ssh functionality, but rather by running a utility on the server
and using a special client that forwards data through the terminal session.

I think PPP and slirp would do the job, but I would prefer to have a
standalone client that exists solely to forward one (or several) ports,
rather than acting as my main network connection.

0
C3

> Does anybody know of a way to do port forwarding over ssh not using the
> standard ssh functionality, but rather by running a utility on the server
> and using a special client that forwards data through the terminal session.
>
> I think PPP and slirp would do the job, but I would prefer to have a
> standalone client that exists solely to forward one (or several) ports,
> rather than acting as my main network connection.

I don't know of such a method, although it probably can be done.  But I'm
having trouble understanding what the advantage is.  You still have to run
an ssh client and ssh server.  Then you want to add an additional client and
server that will communicate over the ssh connection, in order to forward
some ports.  But the ssh session will already do this, so where's the
benefit?

Are you maybe thinking of automation?  That is, you want to ports to be
forwarded automatically as soon as you boot or log in, without you having to
start an ssh client session?  If so, then maybe autossh is what you want:
http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/.

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"
0

Ports....Ports....Ports...
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to be forwarded to allow for voice? Thanx, Grumpy On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:05:30 GMT, William Harper spoketh >I have a linksys WRT54G wireless access point and I have't been able to get >voice communications using Windows Messenger or Buddy Talk. With a direct >PPOE connection to my isp they voice items worked fine. What ports need to >be forwarded to allow for voice? > >Thanx, > >Grumpy > http://messenger.msn.com/Help/#LQ10 Lars M. Hansen http://www.hansenonline.net (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address) "You're an angel with your wings broken" ...

ssh port forward
Hi, Im trying to set up ssh local port forward. But I dont know the ports to connect to on the remote machine beforehand. Is it possible to setup forward for a range of ports? thanks rc You can specify multiple ports to forward on the command line, or establish a VPN if you have the need for UDP. See: http://www.securitybulletins.com/mediawiki/index.php/SSH_Tunnelling for info on both types. Doug On 21 Nov 2006 15:57:54 -0800 chandranramesh@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Im trying to set up ssh local port forward. > But I dont know the ports to connect to on the remote machine > beforehand. > > Is it possible to setup forward for a range of ports? -- For UNIX, Linux and security articles visit http://SecurityBulletins.com/ In article <1164153474.108673.130230@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> chandranramesh@gmail.com writes: > >Im trying to set up ssh local port forward. >But I dont know the ports to connect to on the remote machine >beforehand. You could perhaps use OpenSSH's "dynamic" port forwarding, i.e. SOCKS - see the -D option. >Is it possible to setup forward for a range of ports? Not as such (with OpenSSH), though (with OpenSSH) you can AFAIK give any number of -L options - i.e. a range is just a matter of giving one -L option for every port in the range. A bit verbose, but the end result would be the same - ssh (any flavour) would need to open a separate socket for every port in the range, the...

Port Forwarding: Device:Port = Router:Port?
- Webcam's IP addr = 10.0.0.140, and it's set up to use port 8000 - Router's IP addr = 1.0.0.1, and it's port forwarding is set up to forward port 8000 to 10.0.140. - I can view the camera using 10.0.0.140:8000, no problem. The Question: Should I be able to view the camera using 10.0.0.1:8000? -- PeteCresswell On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:13:01 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote: > - Webcam's IP addr = 10.0.0.140, and it's set up to > use port 8000 > > - Router's IP addr = 1.0.0.1, and...

To Port Forward or Not To Port Forward
System: DP MDD G4, OS 10.4.9 Inet connection: DSL with static i.p.,Broadcom Gateway to Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router using DHCP, 1 computer connected via enet, 3 connected wirelessly, basic home use only Wireless security is very basic: Unique router name and pw, SSID disabled, and connections allowed by MAC addresses only, Linksys firewall is enabled with all the other features set to their defaults, Mac OS firewall is disabled I recently purchased a Logitec QuickCam Pro 5000 webcam that works just fine with iChat right out of the box. Learning how to use it I found some Apple docs and ot...

SSH port forwarding/tunneling
I've got a question about port forwarding.... I have a machine that will be located remotely. I have ssh installed on this machine. I cannot install any sort of VPN on this machine. The machine will be behind a firewall, so I need a way to access this machine. What I'd like to do is set up a persistent ssh connection to my server, and then portforward back through this connection so I can connect to the ssh server on the machine..... One more time: machine A is at my desk. machine B is far, far away. Machine B connects to machine A via ssh, forwarding some port that connects back to itself.... I use ssh localhost -p someport on machine A to log into machine B. I've been playing around with all sorts of ways to try to portforward using -L and -R, but I always get something that doesn't work or a message that the port cannot be forwarded..... I've found all sorts of docs on how to forwards ports if I want to tunnel in the same direction as the ssh connection, but nothing that tells me how to tunnel 'backwards'.... TIA, --Yan Captain Dondo <yan@NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> writes: > I've got a question about port forwarding.... > > I have a machine that will be located remotely. I have ssh installed > on this machine. I cannot install any sort of VPN on this machine. > > The machine will be behind a firewall, so I need a way to access this > machine. > > What I'd like to do is set up a persistent ssh con...

Ports for DB2 behind firewall / ssh port forward
hi newsgroup, I'd like to connect to a remote DB2 Database V 8.2 using the "DB2 Steuerzentrale" (I guess it's called something like "DB2 management console" in the English version). Since the database host is behind a firewall I tried to communicate through ssh port forwarding. Therefore, I run: ssh -L 6789:remotename:6789 -L 50000:remotename:50000 -L 50001:remotename:50001 -L 523:remotename:523 remotename Though the ssh connection is established, my "DB2 Steuerzentrale" won't connect to localhost successfully and shows an error num...

SSH port forwarding/tunneling question
Before I waste a lot of time trying, I'm wondering if what I want is even possible. I want to connect via TightVNC from my home Linux system to my Win2k system at work. Unfortunately my work system is behind a firewall which filters out incoming ssh, so running an ssh server on the Win2k system at work won't fly. So my question is, is it possible to set up an ssh connection from a client machine (Win2k) to a server machine (my Linux box), then run VNC over it with the ssh client being the VNC server, and the ssh server being the VNC client? I'm hoping I can just set up a putty connection at work connected to home, then go home and run VNC back to it. Does that sound possible? If not, any other solutions to the problem? Thanks -- Remove _nospam to reply. Assuming your Corporate Security approves what you are trying to do, you can accomplish by using the -R option. Wes Gray (linuxwes_nospam@yahoo.com) wrote: : Before I waste a lot of time trying, I'm wondering if what I want is : even possible. I want to connect via TightVNC from my home Linux system : to my Win2k system at work. Unfortunately my work system is behind a : firewall which filters out incoming ssh, so running an ssh server : on the Win2k system at work won't fly. So my question is, is it : possible to set up an ssh connection from a client machine (Win2k) : to a server machine (my Linux box), then run VNC over it with : the ssh client being the VNC server, and the ssh server being ...

SSH-Tunnel and port-forwarding in usermode
Hello, I have a question concerning port forwarding and SSH-Tunnels. My sister has a laptop with Linux installed on it. She doesn't know so much about computers so I sometimes logged into her computer to fix problems or install programs. This did work fine a long time. But a few months later the residence she lives in installed a firewall. This firewall bars me from logging into her computer directly via ssh. So I had the idea of an SSH-Tunnel using pppd. If I want to log into her computer, she has to type in the following /usr/sbin/pppd noauth silent nodeflate nobsdcomp mru 1500 nodefaultroute lcp-restart 10 ipcp-restart 10 netmask 255.255.0.0 pty "ssh -t <my-ip-address> '/usr/sbin/pppd 10.0.0.5:10.0.0.1 nodetach '" nodetach This opens a private Point-to-Point connection between my computer and my sister's computer. This was very fine for some months. I could log in to her laptop using the SSH-Tunnel. But now, I have moved to a student's residence also, and unfortunately there's a firewall also which won't let my sister initiate an SSH-Tunnel connection to my computer. Now there's the problem that I can't reach her computer and she can't reach mine. But maybe there's a solution. The network I use, looks like this: my Computer ---- Firewall ---- Uni Network ---- Internet ---- Firewall ---- My sister's computer I can log on some linux servers within the Uni Network but I don't have root p...

SSH port forwarding in OS X
Whenever I have to take the WinXP laptop away from the office I use TerraTerm SSH to set up an SSH tunnel back to our mail machine and also tell it to forward port 25 on localhost to 25 on the mail machine. This allows me to send mail via our mail server without being limited to only sending within the company (otherwise it won't send mail offsite when I am remote). Then all I do in addition is tell Eudora to use localhost as the mail server. Is there a way I can do the same under OS X? Thanks, In article <tim.streater-BEBB5C.11230424052004@individual.net>, Tim Streater <...

SSH from Windows to Linux w/port forwarding.
I have a Linux Server (Debian Sarge) behind a firewall that I need to tunnel into and forward ports from. I can orward all the ports I need from my laptop (Windows XP SP2) if I use either putty or Tunnelier from bitvise. I've been attempting to tunnel from OpenSSH on Cygwin but without much success. I can forward the RemoteDesktop port but not the others. Here is the command I use to start ssh and create the tunnel from xterm on Cygwin: $ ssh -F ~/.ssh/home_ssh_config myserver.dyndns.org -N -f -v Below are the contents of the above mentioned ssh config file: LogLevel DEBUG3 Host myserver.dyndns.org HostName myserver.dyndns.org GatewayPorts no TCPKeepAlive yes Compression no # This one works LocalForward 3390 myserver.dyndns.org:3389 #MS Windows Remote Desktop # These don't. Why? LocalForward 19150 myserver.dyndns.org:19150 #Gkrellm LocalForward 9000 myserver.dyndns.org:9000 #Slimserver Web Interface LocalForward 3483 myserver.dyndns.org:3483 #Slimserver SB Interface LocalForward 80 myserver.dyndns.org:80 #Local Apache Server (Please note that my server is not actually named myserver.dyndns.org) The debug output shows that ssh is listening and forwarding ports but the clients for the respective services just time-out. As I can succesfully forward ports with Putty and Tunnelier I'm assuming that there is a problem with Cygwin. Thanks in advance, R. Owen. > # This one works > LocalForward 3390 myser...

Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru On 18 Feb 2005, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from > Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. > Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would > like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Posting once is probably enough... There is a v2linux package by MontaVista. Googling v2linux currently turns up, "http://legacy2linux.sourceforge.net/v2linux.html". This is also useful if you develop/host vxWorks on a *nix machine. Instead of using the simulator, you can compile a native application using this compatibility layer. Not sure so much about going from Linux to vxWorks. There is a lot of functionality available in the bigger OSs that is not available in vxWorks. For instance, "fork", "pthreads", "mmap", etc. Genearally, you can steal routines from Linux (like libraries), but it is difficult to take an application. fwiw, Bill Pringlemeir. -- My kid had sex with your honor student. - Bumper Sticker vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html" Hi, For porting there are 3 approaches which are common in the industry. 1)Build an abstraction layer abo...

port forwarding for multiple ports
Hello, Is there any way to do a port forwarding (ssh -L localport:remotehost:remoteport) for a range of ports? If do not, can I do a port forwarding dinamically? (is there any application that do something like this?) Thanks, RFT. rodrigofteixeira@yahoo.com.br (RFT) writes: >Is there any way to do a port forwarding (ssh -L >localport:remotehost:remoteport) for a range of ports? Not readily that I'm aware. >If do not, can I do a port forwarding dinamically? (is there any >application that do something like this?) There's the -D command (which supports SOCKS right now). I've also hacked at the source to do more interesting things. It's certainly possible to do what you want with an unmodified SSH server. The trick is convincing a client to do it. I've been playing with Twisted.Conch to do this. --kyler In article <610789b8.0404261242.35824a3b@posting.google.com>, RFT <rodrigofteixeira@yahoo.com.br> wrote: >Is there any way to do a port forwarding (ssh -L >localport:remotehost:remoteport) for a range of ports? Use lots of "-L" command line options :-? >If do not, can I do a port forwarding dinamically? (is there any >application that do something like this?) It depends on what you mean by "dynamically". Some implementations (eg, PuTTY, OpenSSH, possibly others) have a "dynamic forward" option which implements a SOCKS server in the SSH client, so if you application understands...

port forwarding/ opening port
hi i'm having P4 2.4 256MB RAM with Win XP SP-2 Pro installed. i'm using 256 kbps connection using adsl2+ router SmartAX MT882 ADSL Router from Huawei, china its having NAT & built in firewall.,,, i'm also using Win XP Firewall to protect my pc.. i want to know how to use port forwarding & how to open port on router so that i can establish connection, also i didn't understand the UDP & TCP, what is it all about? i want to open port for radmin connection... also, how to know that how much secure my pc is from internet... any resource... i have referred to router manual but i didn't find the information.. Thank you in advance krunal jariwala jariwalakrunal@gmail.com wrote in news:1130958191.680401.263360 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > hi > i'm having P4 2.4 256MB RAM with Win XP SP-2 Pro installed. > i'm using 256 kbps connection using adsl2+ router SmartAX MT882 ADSL > Router from Huawei, china > > its having NAT & built in firewall.,,, i'm also using Win XP Firewall > to protect my pc.. > > i want to know how to use port forwarding & how to open port on router > so that i can establish connection, also i didn't understand the UDP & > TCP, what is it all about? > i want to open port for radmin connection... > > also, how to know that how much secure my pc is from internet... any > resource... > > i have referred to router manual but i didn't find the...

SSH tunneling/port forwarding and stateful packet inspection
Most firewalls have stateful packet inspection built in. I am having difficulty understanding how if a person is running an ssh tunnel from an internal client to an external server doing port forwarding all via port 443, than how come stateful packet inspection doesn't catch this and allow it to pass through? This is too vague. State the actual problem you are encountering, with precise configuration, products involved, and symptoms you are observing. -- Richard Silverman res@qoxp.net Richard E. Silverman <res@qoxp.net> wrote in message news:<m2ptc4uvck.fsf@darwin.oankali.net>... > This is too vague. State the actual problem you are encountering, with > precise configuration, products involved, and symptoms you are observing. Its not a problem per se but I am curious. I don't think actualy products involved are an issue. Lets just speak generally when talkimg about common firewalls. However, I think I may have answered my own question already when I was thinking about this earlier today. The scenario is this - point A - a machine running an ssh clinet that is tunneling via port 443 to point B - a server running an ssh server on port 443. Point A - the client is using ghe tunnel to port forward terminal service traffic. My question was, why doesnt the firewall pick this up in SPI because it is not really sll traffic. However, in doing a packet trace, I saw that the header of the packet really is ssl traffic, but the actual port 3389 (te...

Problem using PuTTY and Dropbear for port forwarding (ssh tunneling)
Hi all, I'm trying to do the following: I have a couple of 'client' pc's that are behind routers. I want to be able to connect to them (using VNC) from anywhere when needed without having to open up ports on the routers. My plan is to let those clients set up and keep open an SSH connection to a server on the Internet that I have access to (running Dropbear as an SSH server). The clients I want to take over, are running a startup script creating the connection and keeping it open. Over the connection, a tunnel is then created from client port X, to server port Y. From my PC I then create an SSH connection to the server and create a tunnel from PC port Z to server port Y. I'm currently testing this setup using two Windows pc's and a Linux server (running Dropbear) in my own network, and using PuTTY. One pc (A) is running ultra VNC. The other PC (B) is running the vnc viewer. I use PuTTY to create an SSH connection from PC A to the server and create a *remote* forward from server port X to PC A, port 5900 (this is where ultra VNC is listening). Then, I use PuTTY to create an SSH connection from PC B to the server and create a *local* forward from PC B, port 5900 to server port X. Then, I fire up Ultra VNC viewer on PC B and connect it to '<ip address PC B>::5900'. Now, I'm getting a connection error, saying something about a protocol error. I can connect directly from PC B to PC A fine ('<ip address PC A>:: 5900'). Do...

ssh tunnel to non-standard ssh port
I have an instance where I am wanting to connect to a remote server which has ssh listening on a non-standard port (22170). I cannot create a ssh tunnel without ssh also listening to port 22 or have no port assigned -- I also have to open port 22 on my firewall. Is there a way that I can create a ssh tunnel to a remote server which has ssh listening on a non-standard port? Here is my tunnel command: ssh -f -N -R 22170:localhost:22 user@10.10.10.1 TIA gmac63 Am Mon, 20 Aug 2007 04:03:38 -0700 schrieb gmac63: > I have an instance where I am wanting to connect to a remote server > which has ssh listening on a non-standard port (22170). I cannot > create a ssh tunnel without ssh also listening to port 22 or have no > port assigned -- I also have to open port 22 on my firewall. > > Is there a way that I can create a ssh tunnel to a remote server which > has ssh listening on a non-standard port? Here is my tunnel command: > > ssh -f -N -R 22170:localhost:22 user@10.10.10.1 > > TIA > gmac63 -p $RemotePort well son of a ...., that worked!!! Thanks Burhard! gmac63 On Aug 20, 7:54 am, Burkhard Ott <postmas...@derith.de> wrote: > Am Mon, 20 Aug 2007 04:03:38 -0700 schriebgmac63: > > > I have an instance where I am wanting to connect to a remote server > > which has ssh listening on a non-standard port (22170). I cannot > > create a ssh tunnel without ssh also listening to port 22 or have no > > port as...

What is the difference between local port forwarding (-L) and remote port forwarding (-R)
Hi! I need to do an SSH tunnel to encrypt the data sent between an agent and a the server. I'm able to establish a tunnel but there's something that I can't understand... What is the difference between the bit -L and the bit -R. I've read the man of SSH on Fedora. It's seems to be simple but in practice, I don't understand. Can somebody help me on this subject? Thanks a lot! Yann > What is the difference between the bit -L and the bit -R. -L forwards a port from the client to the server. -R forwards a port from the server to the client. -- To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net" In article <d73d6e32.0404262310.5dd662ed@posting.google.com>, Yann Laviolette <yann_laviolette@gnome.org> wrote: >What is the difference between the bit -L and the bit -R. I've read >the man of SSH on Fedora. It's seems to be simple but in practice, I >don't understand. Example: "ssh -L 2000:1.2.3.4:2000 server" is a "local" forward and will listen on the client (ie the machine you ssh'ed from) on port 2000. If something connects to the client on port 2000, a "channel" will be opened inside the SSH connection and the server will connect to 1.2.3.4 on port 2000. Any data sent or received will be forwarded over this channel. In contrast, "ssh -R 2000:1.2.3.4:2000 server" is a "remote" forward, which will cause the *server* to listen o...

difference between port redirect and port forwarding
hi all can any body point out the difference between in port redirect and port forwarding? Actually i am trying to forward/redirect all the requests to port 26 to 25, as i cannt access port 25 from my current network. I would appreciate if somebody could suggest a solution for this problem. Thank you Anil On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:38:43 GMT, Anil Kommareddy <linuxkid@itslinuxhelp.com> wrote: >Actually i am trying to forward/redirect all the requests to >port 26 to 25, as i cannt access port 25 from my current network. Trying to set up an open relay for SMTP? Having trouble with port blocking? Sorry, but as I can't see any other reason for doing this, I'd not be interested in helping you. -- Joe Zeff The Guy With the Sideburns Where there's a flamethrower, there's a way. http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:38:43 GMT, Anil Kommareddy <linuxkid@itslinuxhelp.com> crossposted: > can any body point out the difference between in port redirect and port > forwarding? Actually i am trying to forward/redirect all the requests to > port 26 to 25, as i can't access port 25 from my current network. I would > appreciate if somebody could suggest a solution for this problem. Just one possible interpretation: Port forwarding: Forwarding connections from port XX on one machine, to port YY on another (such as a web server behind a firewall). Port redirec...

how do i forward ports and allow access on some port?
Hi all, I am using Norton System Works 2005 full edition (with nortn firewall) on a windows 2000 professional OS , now i want to forward port 80,99,100 to a linux box running in the same office and I also want to allow someone access on port 101 and 102. Can someone help me out , how to do it. Regards vivek kedia india vivekkedia@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > I am using Norton System Works 2005 full edition (with nortn firewall) > on a windows 2000 professional OS , now i want to forward port > 80,99,100 to a linux box running in the same office and I also want to > allow someone access on port 101 and 102. > > Can someone help me out , how to do it. Use am appropriate device (most routers will be able to to it and any Linux will be able to it) to do that and delete the Norton crap. Wolfgang ...

Why is port forwarding more secure than opening up a port?
I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. If I open up port 110 on my router: 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. Alternatively, if I "forward" port 110 to say 192.168.0.5 (my pop3 server PC): 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, will I will be flagged as closed? stealthed? worth a second visit? 2. Any Trojans, viruses or other port 110 malware will squirm through my router and arrive at 192.168.0.5?? Please can someone clear this up for me. Thanks Paul "Paul H" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%Ifwd.453$JI3.381@newsfe1-win.ntli.net... > I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. > > If I open up port 110 on my router: > > 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged > as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. Very unlikely. I'm not running anything on 110 here and I've forgotten when I last saw anything directed at 110. > > 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via > port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. What did you mean by "open up port 110 on my router"? It does no...

Porting from linux to vxworks viceversa porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru ...

netscreen: not allowed to port forward port outside port < 1024 to one inside >= 1024?
I'm using a netscreen-25 and it seems to be the case that when I try to set up a port forward from virtual port 80 (outside) to port 8080 (inside) it won't let me: "port number should be between 1024 and 32767, or default 1024" .... and then it sets my port 80 to be 1024. Virtuals ports < 1024 are not allowed for some reason.... I am doing the port forwarding by using the VIP (virtual IP) feature btw. Why should there be such a limiation? Is there any compromise possible? alex Alex Hunsley wrote: > I'm using a netscreen-25 and it seems to be the case that when I > try to set up a port forward from virtual port 80 (outside) to port > 8080 (inside) it won't let me: > > "port number should be between 1024 and 32767, or default 1024" > > ... and then it sets my port 80 to be 1024. Virtuals ports < 1024 > are not allowed for some reason.... > > I am doing the port forwarding by using the VIP (virtual IP) > feature btw. > > Why should there be such a limiation? > Is there any compromise possible? > > alex Are you already using Port 80 with another policy or service for your NAT'ed IP address? Another good resource for netscreen issues is www.netscreenforum.com Not-My-Real-Name wrote: > Alex Hunsley wrote: > >>I'm using a netscreen-25 and it seems to be the case that when I >>try to set up a port forward from virtual port 80 (outside) to port >>...

ssh port forwarding
Hello, I am trying to get access to a friends' computer via ssh. Unfortunately, his computer is behind a router which doesn't support NAT (Network Adress Translation). Consequently, I cannot connect directly on his computer using a command like "ssh user@ip_adress" because his router is blocking me. Then, I got the idea that perhaps if my friend would start a ssh connection from HIS computer to MINE, and then somehow by tunneling I would be able to get access to his computer. But after having read the manpages of ssh and something on the internet, I must state that I do n...

ssh port forwarding
Hello! Please, explain me where I'm wrong. I have two machines with linux and FreeBSD and I desire to have a secure tunel for HTTP between them. So I make it in the following way: linux@lunc:~$ ssh -2 -L 1234:localhost:6661 lunc@freebsd freebsd@lunc|~$ and afer that I tried to make following HTTP request "http://localhost:1234/" on my linux box by Firefox browser. However, I saw by tcpdump that http wasn't tuneled: linux@root# tcpdump -X -s 128 -v port 6661 ......... 19:47:07.980462 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 62776, offset 0, flags [DF], proto: TCP (6), le...

Web resources about - port tunneling over ssh (not port-forwarding in the traditional sense) - comp.os.linux.networking

Port forwarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , port forwarding or port mapping is an application of network address translation (NAT) that redirects a communication ...

GitHub - lontivero/Open.NAT: Lightweight and easy-to-use class library to allow port forwarding in NAT ...
Open.NAT - Lightweight and easy-to-use class library to allow port forwarding in NAT devices with UPNP and/or PMP

iptables howto port forwarding - Google Search
Tags: iptables , networking, port forwarding .... 5 days looking for information on how to forward ports through my Linux gateway and read almost ...

Set up port forwarding with an AirPort base station
We show you how to navigate the treacherous networking waters by setting up port forwarding.

Set up port forwarding with an AirPort base station
We show you how to navigate the treacherous networking waters by setting up port forwarding.

Port Forwarding Issue Exposes Real IP of VPN Users
Users’ real IP addresses have been exposed by some VPN service providers that offer port forwarding, experts warned on Thursday. According to ...

All VPN users exposed by port forwarding flop
Torrent users especially exposed by IPSec, PPTP and OpenVPN mess Virtual Private Network (VPN) protocols have a bug that lets attackers identify ...

How To Setup Port Forwarding
... hosting services (web service, FTP service, game server) on your home network computers accessible from the Internet, then port forwarding is ...

IPTables and Port Forwarding? 41
$hy_guy asks: "I have been totally striking out finding some info on how to do port forwarding in Linux. I am currently running Mandrake 8.1 ...

VPN users menaced by port forwarding blunder
Torrent users especially exposed by IPSec, PPTP and OpenVPN mess, we're told