problem networking Linux and XP

I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
using a crossover cable.
I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
addresses.
I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.

The problem is:
I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.

I would appreciate some help with this.
0
mk1771 (3)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom wrote:

>> I would appreciate some help with this.

get rid of XP?
0
mister
6/27/2008 12:22:28 AM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to
say:

> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
> a crossover cable.
> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
> addresses.
> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>
> The problem is:
> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>
> I would appreciate some help with this.

Turn off the built-in XP firewalls.
0
none18 (402)
6/27/2008 12:23:36 AM
david wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to
> say:
>
>> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
>> a crossover cable.
>> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
>> addresses.
>> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>>
>> The problem is:
>> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
>> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
>> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>>
>> I would appreciate some help with this.
>
> Turn off the built-in XP firewalls.

He already said that he did

--
Tayo'y mga Pinoy
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom passed an empty day by writing:

> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
> a crossover cable.
> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
> addresses.
> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>
> The problem is:
> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>
> I would appreciate some help with this.

Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.

--
begin  oefixed_in_2005.exe
0
On Jun 27, 9:45=A0am, Klunk <bill.ga...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom passed an empty day by writing:
>
> > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
> > a crossover cable.
> > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
> > addresses.
> > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>
> > The problem is:
> > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
> > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
> > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>
> > I would appreciate some help with this.
>
> Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
> what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.
>
> --
> begin =A0oefixed_in_2005.exe

Subnets are the same, workgroups are not. But workgroups shouldn't
matter. All I'm trying to do is ping between the machines.
ICMP is enabled on the XP box. And as I said before, firewalls on both
boxes are disabled.
0
mk1771 (3)

http://www.ust.hk/itsc/itsecurity/firewall/sp2_icmp.html
In news:48648c85$0$10646$fa0fcedb@news.zen.co.uk,
Klunk <bill.gates@microsoft.com> typed:

>> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
>> using a crossover cable.
>> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
>> addresses.
>> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>>
>> The problem is:
>> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I
>> try to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP
>> machine but no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>>
>> I would appreciate some help with this.
>
> Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
> what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.

Samba has absolutely nothing to do with ping or its responses.

You'd do better to ask the OP how he _knows_ "the ping request arrives at
the XP machine".

You'd also do better to ask the OP what the "/sbin/ifconfig -a" on the
CentOS machine returns, as well as the "ipconfig /all" on the XP box. Do the
IP addresses and netmasks of each allow TCP/IP communications? Is it really
a crossover cable? Is the cable good?

I'd respond directly to the OP except for the fact that I killfile all
gmail.com addresses in Usenet postings, since they are the major source of
spam. To the OP: munge your address to something fake such as
you@garbage.corn. You'll get more help that way.

0
me4 (19624)
6/27/2008 7:29:30 AM
esrom schreef:
> On Jun 27, 9:45 am, Klunk <bill.ga...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom passed an empty day by writing:
>>
>>> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
>>> a crossover cable.
>>> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
>>> addresses.
>>> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>>> The problem is:
>>> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
>>> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
>>> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>>> I would appreciate some help with this.
>> Subnets and workgroups the same? Is ICMP disabled on XP box? Not sure
>> what the deal is xp-linux without Samba running.
>>
>> --
>> begin  oefixed_in_2005.exe
>
> Subnets are the same, workgroups are not. But workgroups shouldn't
> matter. All I'm trying to do is ping between the machines.
> ICMP is enabled on the XP box. And as I said before, firewalls on both
> boxes are disabled.

I would try another cable.

--
Max

Open Source is an ode to common sense
0
Max
6/27/2008 9:08:29 AM
On Jun 27, 2:08=A0am, Max <nom...@4me.nl> wrote:

> I would try another cable.
>
> --
> Max

You think a cable can tell the difference between a ping and a ping
reply?!

DS
0
davids (1371)
6/27/2008 10:28:56 AM
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:28:56 -0700, David Schwartz passed an empty day by
writing:

> On Jun 27, 2:08 am, Max <nom...@4me.nl> wrote:
>
>> I would try another cable.
>>
>> --
>> Max
>
> You think a cable can tell the difference between a ping and a ping
> reply?!
>
> DS

when the xmit is on one pair and the receive is on the other, there is a
logic in the thinking - but I can't say how it reflects in reality.

--
begin  oefixed_in_2005.exe
0
esrom wrote:
> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
> using a crossover cable.
> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
> addresses.
> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>
> The problem is:
> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>
> I would appreciate some help with this.

If you can ping Centos from the XP machine, then your cabling and IP
routing is OK. Your XP machine is probably configured somewhere not to
respond to pings; there is no doubt a way of changing the configuration
but I don't know that much about them.

Robert
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:56:19 +0100, Robert Harris passed an empty day by
writing:

> esrom wrote:
>> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using
>> a crossover cable.
>> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
>> addresses.
>> I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>>
>> The problem is:
>> I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
>> to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
>> no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>>
>> I would appreciate some help with this.
>
> If you can ping Centos from the XP machine, then your cabling and IP
> routing is OK. Your XP machine is probably configured somewhere not to
> respond to pings; there is no doubt a way of changing the configuration
> but I don't know that much about them.
>
> Robert

You are 100% sure that you have either disabled the built in windows
firewall that most people forget about (part of the 'security centre') or
set it to allow ICMP (echo requests)?

If you run a command prompt on the XP box and ping 127.0.0.1 do you get a
response?

just in case:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/firewall.htm

--
begin  oefixed_in_2005.exe
0
wrote:
> esrom wrote:
> > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected
> > using a crossover cable.
> > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP
> > addresses.
> > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines.
>
> > The problem is:
> > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try
> > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but
> > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine.
>
> > I would appreciate some help with this.
>
> If you can ping Centos from the XP machine, then your cabling and IP
> routing is OK. Your XP machine is probably configured somewhere not to
> respond to pings; there is no doubt a way of changing the configuration
> but I don't know that much about them.
>
> Robert

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I finally discovered what the
problem was. The Checkpoint VPN software on the XP machine was
blocking ICMP requests. Even when I disabled the VPN it still
continued blocking the ICMP's. I couldn't find any configuration
settings to change this. Uninstalling the VPN solved the problem.
0
mk1771 (3)

Linux, Linux, Linux

Woo-hoo! Linux sees my network! Now how do I see Linux from XP?
Hello, I just put a nic card in my Linux Laptop, booted up and into Linux and it saw my network and cable internet connection without any problem! Now the question that I have is how can I check to see if Windows XP/ME/98Se can see my Linux Laptop? I don't know what my machine's name is, or how to map to it. It doesn't show up when I browse the network with XP. (haven't tried the others) Does anyone know what to do from here? I can ping the Linux Laptop... (Red-Hat 9.0) Thanks Dave On 2005-02-22, XxLicherxX <goldhors64@aol.com> wrote: > > Now the question that I have is how can I check to see if Windows > XP/ME/98Se can see my Linux Laptop? Define "see". > It doesn't show up when I browse the network with XP. That's a Samba thing. Install and configure Samba if that's what you want, but I'd define "see" first. What exactly do you want to do? If you want to simply copy files, you can use an scp client, for example. If you want to do something else, you'll need to tell us. --keith -- kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us (try just my userid to email me) AOLSFAQ=http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/cgi-bin/fom see X- headers for PGP signature information On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:09:51 -0800, XxLicherxX wrote: > Hello, > > I just put a nic card in my Linux Laptop, booted up and into Linux and > it saw my network and cable internet connection without any problem! > > No...

Any Documentaion about How Linux Networking IP stack looklike between Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces (LAN and WAN)?
Any Documenttaion about How Linux IP Networking stack looklike bwteen Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces running on Linux (LAN and WAN)?. appreciated for links or some documentation. Thanks. ...

Free Download Ebook for linux networking guide | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html
i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download it for free http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html Tony Andreas wrote: > i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download > it for free > http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > Tony Andreas wrote: >> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >> it for free >> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html > > i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: > http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf What link is that? i.e. which one on the Home Page? There are over 30 of them. mybook.000webhost.info resolves to 64.235.54.104 The link you gave opens KPDF for me - I didn't look at its contents. Doug. Doug Laidlaw wrote: > goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > >> Tony Andreas wrote: >>> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >>> it for free >>> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html >> i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: >>...

linux network problem
we have many RHEL 3 Update 9 servers who's bnx2 driver (v52d) STOPS sending packets and they pile up in the SEND QUEUE when viewing through 'netstat -a'. This problem happens randomly and we cannot consistently duplicate it. What could I do on the local box between the 2 'on board' NICS to force loads of data from one NIC to the other to try to duplicate this problem? ...

I want to study linux network but I have not a network
HI, I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me to study it on this only one PC? Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within my PC? Any help appreciated! Chen On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:06:40 +0800, Chen Bin wrote: > HI, > > I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux > network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me > to study it on this only one PC? > > Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within > my PC? You can use Vmware (www.vmware.com), but it's quite expensive. The workstation edition costs $189. But you can get a 30 day fully functioning trial version. -- Rolf Arne Schulze Trans-atlantic weightloss challenge: http://tawlc.net/ Personal weblog: http://roffe.ronningveien.net/ In comp.os.linux.networking Chen Bin <binch@mobilesoft.com.cn>: > HI, > I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux > network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me > to study it on this only one PC? > Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within > my PC? You can do almost anything just over loop-back, like "ssh localhost" no need for any emulation, you already have one. -- Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94) mail: echo zvpunry@urvz...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all this work without breaking anything else on my windows workgroup? centos -> browse windows network centos -> surf www Windows Zonealarm Firewall enabled. ?? thanks,mike -- Return address is VALID! Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here: http://mike.liveline.de/sale.html On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 05:00:37 +0000, mike rearranged some electrons to say: > > Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't > connect to the web. Uh, that's not a bug. If you're using a fixed IP address insread of DHCP, you have to tell it everything it would normally get from the DHCP server, including the IP address of your favorite DNS server (which your router gets from your ISP). PS: If you're still trying to run Linux inside a Virtual PC under Windoze (as I believe you were claiming to do in another newsgroup, against the advice of several people) then y...

Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...
Guys: This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my Router with new Router, samething. CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine. But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router. I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine. Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address, all are Unique MAC's. Thanks in advance. Santa wrote: > Guys: > > This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to > leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I > have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot > with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other...

problem with Linux box on network
I have a small home Ethernet network. One machine is running Slackware Linux 13.0, KDE 4.2.4 and KMail 1.11.4 and Firefox. The other runs Windows XP. My ISP is Time-Warner and I have a broadband connection to the Internet. Everything was working fine with the network, but suddenly email downloads from Time-Warner's Road Runner POP server started to get erratic. At first it seemed that rebooting helped, but now I can't download my email at all. I can usually ping the POP server, and I can always download my email from the Windows machine, so it appears there is nothing wrong on the server side. I can generally send email (although it appears to be a little slow, and sometimes a perfectly ordinary email gets stuck in the outbox). Coincidentally, Firefox on the Linux box is also behaving erratically. HTML processing get's stuck on "Waiting for xyz.com...". HTML requests do not time out at the server, but the page never comes. (Again, Firefox on the Windows machine works normally.) The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail (a KDE app) *and* Firefox makes me suspect there is a problem with the underlying TCP/IP plumbing on the Linux machine. Is there a buffer overflowing somewhere? A corrupted cache? Is there a log file I can look at? Thanks & Best Regards, Vwaju NYC On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:48:07 -0400, Vwaju <slack@rcn.com> wrote: > The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail (a KDE app) *and* > Firefox > makes...

weird linux networking problem
Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, and if so, if they have any idea what could be causing it. A number of our boxes are HP dx5150 running Red Hat 4.3 (kernel 2.6.9-42). The onboard NIC is Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit. Every now and then, these boxes lose contact with the network: we find that the central network switch (Cisco) has shut down the port, having apparently detected that the MAC address of the connected box has changed. Once the security on the port is reset, everything continues as normal. (The incorrect MAC address detected by the switch is always 08:00:45:00:FF:F8.) Obviously, this is now a fairly old version of Red Hat, and we've found that an upgrade to kernel 2.6.9-55 seems to solve the problem (we have application-related constraints limiting the kernels to which we can upgrade.) However, it would be really good to understand this problem. Any ideas? On Wed, 5 May 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article <f68557e2-f392-4638-821c-b547d39013cc@a34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, pduffy wrote: NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server. >A number of our boxes are HP dx5150 running Red Hat 4.3 (kernel >2.6.9-42). The onboard NIC is Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit. [compton ~]$ etherwhois BROADCOM 00-10-18 (hex) BROADCOM CORPORATION 001018 (base 16) BROADCOM CORPORATION ...

Networking XP with Linux box
I have a Linux computer on the same network as a Windows XP machine. The Linux computer automatically recognizes the presence of the Windows computer, allowing for file sharing. But the Windows machine doesn't see the Linux machine. How can I fix this? Thanks. Hiawatha Bray wrote: > I have a Linux computer on the same network as a Windows XP machine. The > Linux computer automatically recognizes the presence of the Windows > computer, allowing for file sharing. But the Windows machine doesn't see > the Linux machine. How can I fix this? Thanks. > >...

Odd linux networking problem
Hi, I'm currently dealing with a very strange networking problem. I suspect it's the OS (Debian testing) on the client that is causing the problem, but as a matter of fact, I'm not absolutely sure. We're running a home network of about 10 PCs, which used to be connected with an 802.11b-network with a D-Link WLAN AP and DSL router (DL-713P). Now we're migrating from to a 802.11g AP (Linksys WAP54G) for the Wireless, which will eventually be connected to a Linux server, but currently is connected to one of the three ethernet ports on the D-Link router. Now, we've started...

[News] [Linux] Automotive Networking Stacks Ported to Linux
Linux gains real-time networking stack ,----[ Quote ] | An Austrian vendor of real-time networking stacks for automotive, | off-highway, and aeronautics use has pledged to port its flagship | technology to Wind River Linux. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7539216347.html Recent: Prestigious Automotive Industry Consortium Selects Wind River Linux as Preferred Platform to Develop On-Board Equipment ,----[ Quote ] | VIIC selected Wind River's Linux distribution for automotive solutions | after a comprehensive review and thoughtful consideration that comparedo | ther Linux ven...

[News] [Linux] Network Manager Was NOT Fired Over Linux Recommendation
School District Did Not Fire Network Manager For Recommending Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I emailed the writer of that same article to ask if Curtis Mason was | really fired for recommending Linux. The reply confirmed my suspicion... | | [...] | | Lets not get into sensationalistic hissy fits, that?s reserved only | for Microsoft. `---- http://www.techybytes.com/school-district-did-not-fire-network-manager-for-recommending-linux/ Related: District to save money by switching computers to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Hyland said the district hopes to get all of its computers | running Linux exclusi...

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOW...

[News] [Linux] Linux the Platform of Choice for Network Processor
Dual-core network processors sample with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux | 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, | make files, and a VoIP-enabled PBX application. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3501901164.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Dual-core network processors sample with Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] >| The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux >| 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, >...

Network problems under 4 different Linuxes!
Hello, I have the following problem: In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) - Morphix HD Install - Mandrake 9.1 - Knoppix Under Windows XP there are no problems... Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? Thanks, Phillip Phil Perkins <PhillipPerkmann@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have the following problem: > In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under > - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small d...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] [Linux] Company Offers Specialised Linux Networking Stack
Linux networking stack scales to 64 virtual MIPS64 cores ,----[ Quote ] | 6WindGate says its commercial Linux networking stack supports | a Continuous Computing (CCPU) ATCA board powered by 16 | MIPS64-compatible cores. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2103965321.html Related: Development Kit Simplifies Design of Linux Based Device Networking Products ,----[ Quote ] | Oxford Semiconductor has introduced a software development kit for | its OXETHU954 network connectivity controller chip aiming to | dramatically simplify the design of Linux based device | networking products. `----...

Problem Converting Linux PC to Dual-Boot (XP, Linux)
I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to convert to a Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6). I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to partition the disk via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes right to WIndows every time. I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux install. So: what needs to be done here so I can run qtparted from Knoppix, partition the disk, install FC6 on the back half the disk and get this done? Thanks, -Richard Vaughn On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richa...

User Mode Linux = Network Problem
Hi, I have problems to set up the network with user-mode-linux, I can't set up the eth0 interface under UML. The Host system is a Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.3, kernel 2.4.10 with tun/tap, netlink device emulation... For UML, root filesystem is Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.101, kernel 2.4.16 To configure the network, I have done : On the host : [root @host]# tunctl -u root Set 'tap0' persistent and owned by uid 0 [root @host]# ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 [root @host]# ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:97...

Linux Network
Hi, I just upgraded my motherboard. It was a bitch finding information that would get me past the kernel panics. Anyhow, that is solved. Problem now is that I cannot access the internet and cannot ping that machine, even on my internal network. Why? It is assigned eth0. I commented it out in modprobe.conf (not sure why, thought that may be an issue.) When the system boots, it detects eth0 fine as it displays and OK...... Any ideas? I'm a bit stuck right now....... Thanks! On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:53:29 -0800 (PST), art@unsu.com wrote: > > Hi, Hello You might want to read ...

Networking Under Linux
Hi, i am new to Linux, but have been running windows machines for years now. I have two boxes running dual boot systems, Windows XP/Suse Linux 9.1 Both boxes are connected via ethernet to a Zyxel 643 router complete with ADSL modem. Both can see the ,net and have no trouble browsing,emailing etc. I have setup Samba so the windows shares are available, but how do I go about setting up NFS/NIS to share part of my system to the other machine i.e. file sharing. I want to use this directory as a network archive. Regards Bob Moore On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:31:21 +0100, bobmoore wrote: > Hi, i a...

LINUX networking
hi guys, I am very new to LINUX. I have multiple win 2000 machine at my work networking with each other, now I installed Redhat9 linux in one of my machine in the network and make it work with my network domain and what not. I can see internet from my linux, My ping, ifconfig everything works fine, but I dont know how to access other computers from mine. Can someone help me out here? And i know this qn does not belong to this group, but can someone help me to install USB stuf in my linuc, I want my linux to see my usb harddrive and memory sticks? thanks a lot for your time. Try opening a file browser window and, in the location, type "smb://my_host" or something similar. For your USB stuff, plug it in and if it doesn't automagically mount try right-clicking on the desktop and see if it shows up in the "disks" subdirectory. Ramesh wrote: > hi guys, > > I am very new to LINUX. I have multiple win 2000 machine at my work > networking with each other, now I installed Redhat9 linux in one of my > machine in the network and make it work with my network domain and what > not. I can see internet from my linux, My ping, ifconfig everything > works fine, but I dont know how to access other computers from mine. > Can someone help me out here? > > And i know this qn does not belong to this group, but can someone help > me to install USB stuf in my linuc, I want my linux to see my usb > harddrive and memory sticks? > ...

Web resources about - problem networking Linux and XP - comp.os.linux.networking

Synchronous optical networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SONET and SDH, which are essentially the same, were originally designed to transport circuit mode communications (e.g., DS1 , DS3 ) from a variety ...

Contract Systems Analyst (Networking/LAN) 160226/SA/941

4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand
4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand 24/7 Wall St. It's all around us, just look. Everywhere people are looking at phones ...

Report: Social Networking Apps Led Usage During the Super Bowl
... mobile device during the game. Specifically, Localytics , an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, found social networking, ...

13 different Netgear networking products are all on sale today only
... huge sale on Netgear products. In this sale, you're going to find killer prices on everything from routers and cable modems to powerline networking ...

10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o...
10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o... CNNMoney Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) Since 2000, when the ...

Aruba Shows Off HPE Integration With New Networking Offerings
At Aruba's user conference, officials unveil a range of integrated wired and wireless that take advantage of the best of both companies.

Review: Eero's Innovative Wi-Fi System Takes The Hassle Out Of Networking, For A Price
This startup's approach to Wi-Fi may be more Apple-esque than Apple's own Wi-Fi gear. More than a year ago, a startup called "Eero" announced ...

Blended Learning Universe Upgrades To Drive Educator Learning, Networking
We live in an amazing time where school leaders have the capability to advance student-centered learningthe combination of personalizing learning ...

Edtech providers eye social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations