Problem with networking - I am using RedHat 9 Linux kernel 2.4

Problem with networking - I am using RedHat 9 Linux kernel 2.4

I have the following environment:

A NetGADSL router IP address 192.168.0.100. Attached to this is my Linux
server which is dual homed. One nic is attached to the ADSL router - this
is the eth0 interface, ip address 192.168.0.22. This interface has the
NetGear router set as the default gateway address. The other nic - eth1 -
has an ip address of 10.0.0.1 and this is attached to an 8 port switch.
Connected to the 8 port switch is another machine running Microsoft
Windows XP Professional with an ip address of 10.0.0.23. It has a default
gateway set to be 10.0.0.1.

I only have one static IP address. The NetGear router is set up for NAT.
The Linux server is also set up as being in the DMZ of the NetGear router.
This only has the effect of passing all requests to the Linux server and
not dropping them.

On the Linux server I have stopped the IPTABLES service so as not to
complicate matters further and I have enabled IP forwarding. I have also
enabled and configured the web proxy Squid.

My linux server can ping the ADSL hub on 192.168.0.100, it can ping the
machine 10.0.0.23 and it can ping any valid address on the internet.

My XP machine - 10.0.0.23 - can ping the server on either of its
interfaces and it can ping the ADSL hub - proof that the server is
forwarding IP packets. I can also browse the web from 10.0.0.23 via the
Squid proxy.

However, I cannot ping any address on the internet.

I was wondering if I needed to implement IP Masquerading but thought that
the NAT on the NetGear hub should be sufficient.

Can anyone please shed any light on what I need to do to get the Windows
machine to be able to communicate to the internet via the server.

Thanks in advance

Graham Jones

comp.os.linux.networking 15677 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

"Graham Jones" <graham@fiveninessupport.com> wrote in

> I have the following environment:
>
> A NetGADSL router IP address 192.168.0.100. Attached to this is my
> Linux server which is dual homed. One nic is attached to the ADSL
> router - this is the eth0 interface, ip address 192.168.0.22. This
> interface has the NetGear router set as the default gateway address.
> The other nic - eth1 - has an ip address of 10.0.0.1 and this is
> attached to an 8 port switch. Connected to the 8 port switch is
> another machine running Microsoft Windows XP Professional with an ip
> address of 10.0.0.23. It has a default gateway set to be 10.0.0.1.
>
> I only have one static IP address. The NetGear router is set up for
> NAT. The Linux server is also set up as being in the DMZ of the
> NetGear router. This only has the effect of passing all requests to
> the Linux server and not dropping them.
>
> On the Linux server I have stopped the IPTABLES service so as not to
> complicate matters further and I have enabled IP forwarding. I have
> also enabled and configured the web proxy Squid.
>
> My linux server can ping the ADSL hub on 192.168.0.100, it can ping
> the machine 10.0.0.23 and it can ping any valid address on the
> internet.
>
> My XP machine - 10.0.0.23 - can ping the server on either of its
> interfaces and it can ping the ADSL hub - proof that the server is
> forwarding IP packets. I can also browse the web from 10.0.0.23 via
> the Squid proxy.
>
> However, I cannot ping any address on the internet.
>
>[...]

May be the router doesn't know the 10.0.0 network. Have you configured a
static route to that subnet?
Try to ping an Internet address from the server setting eth1 like the
source interface (ping -I interface_name). If your problem is the private
network, ping will fail.

Regards.
0
dimattia (3)

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] -new !
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] -new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, ...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, On 29 Nov 2003 04:26:12 -0800, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr (TEL) wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot .... what??? is 'Red Hot' [sic] a new distro? .. -- /// Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver, \\\ \\\ and author: "...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, TEL <tel4@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote: > Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat > Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - > new ! > If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up ...

[...]

need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?
Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we are using dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte IP address on LAN side, any chang...

NTP with linux kernel 2.6.9 vs. kernel 2.4.24
Hi, I got through this mailing list and asked google for several times and still, I found no answer or hint where to look at. So, the basic problem is that I have a couple of linux boxes that need to be synchronized via NTP. Those boxes have all the very same hardware and configuration. Running the kernel 2.4.24 NTP works fine. For various reasons there is the need to run -- at least a few of them -- with kernel 2.6.9 and here it happens. NTP complains. The Log states: ntpd[22804]: frequency error -512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM Using "adjtimex" does not alleviate the pr...

Samsung CLP-500 on linux redhat 9 networking problems
I must say installing the Samsung CLP-500 color laser printer is a headache. Appearantly I have to use Samsung's proprietary "linux-config" software that comes with the printer. Fine, but now I have to access EVERY printer via this program. Now I am trying to print remotely and everything seems to work when I install and configure "linux-config" but when I send a test page to the que all I get is a processing message and nothing else. The que has a postscript file on the list but somehow it is not making it to the printer. with linux-config I tried many various settings to get it to work. The one I thought would most likely work was to set the connection of the remote printer as a remote LPD with the appropriate host and que name. I also tried the IPP configuration where it requires a user and password. Still to no avail. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time. -Johann ...

Network Installation of RedHat Linux 9.0 using ISO images
Hello, I want to install Redhat Linux 9.0 through a network installation using ISO images i have recently downloaded from RedHat's official site. I am comparitively a newbie to Linux and someone please help me in the installation of RH Linux 9.0 over our LAN. Please send me the details as soon as possible. Thanking You ...

striso 0.9.2.4 Released
Package striso-0.9.2.4 was released under AGPLv3 2008-10-31. OpenSS7 ISO Stack (striso) is an OpenSS7 Project implementation of various Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) International Standards Organization (ISO) networking components for Linux Fast-STREAMS. This release is a separate release of the OpenSS7 ISO Stack package. Some of the components in this package were formerly present in the strss7 package. Various networking drivers are provided as well as CDI, DLPI, NPI, TPI and XTI header files for ISO/OSI operation. The package contains the necessary manual pages and other documentation for ISO/OSI components in a separate autoconf tarball. This release is a pre-alpha release, and is an optional part of the OpenSS7 Master Package (as of openss7-0.9.2.D). This release is the fourth open source release of the OpenSS7 ISO Stack package. Some of the components in this package were formerly present in the strss7 package. Various networking drivers are provided as well as CDI, DLPI, NPI, TPI and XTI header files for ISO/OSI operation. The package contains the necessary manual pages and other documentation for ISO/OSI components in a separate autoconf tarball. This is the fourth alpha release for Linux Fast-STREAMS and is part of the OpenSS7 Master Package (openss7-0.9.2.G). Note that, with release striso-0.9.2.4, the X.25 and Frame Relay related components have been removed to a separate strx25 package. Major features since the last public release...

strxns-0.9.2.2 Released
strxns 0.9.2.2 released January 4, 2006. This was the second separate public release from the OpenSS7 Project of the OpenSS7 STREAMS XNS modules, formerly a part of the Linux STREAMS LiS-2.18.0 package. These networking modules provide DLPI and Linux IP interface drivers, as well as providing CDI, DLPI and NPI header files. The package contains all the necessary manual pages and other documentation for XNS components in a separate autoconf tarball. This release is available as a tarball. See the OpenSS7 Project downloads page http://www.openss7.org/download.html For tarballs, SRPMs and RPMs, see the package page at http://www.openss7.org/strxns_pkg.html These components were formerly only contained in the Linux STREAMS releases, however, this tarball configures, builds and installs them separately in case you wish to use these components separate from the OpenSS7 Project Linux STREAMS releases (e.g. with Linux Fast-STREAMS). The current release builds and installs against both LiS and Linux Fast-STREAMS. See ChangeLog and NEWS in the release for more information. For the news release, see http://www.openss7.org/rel20060104_A.html --brian -- Brian F. G. Bidulock � The reasonable man adapts himself to the � bidulock@openss7.org � world; the unreasonable one persists in � http://www.openss7.org/ � trying to adapt the world to himself. � � Therefore all progress depends on the � ...

Crash when using wxTextCtrl with xwGTK-2.4.1 and wxGTK-2.4.2 Suse Linux 8.2
I am using trying to add some wxTextCtrl to a frame with the result that the program crashes when starting it. On console the errormessage is (in german) Speicherzugriffsfehler (Don't know what an english Linux would give out-> It means imho that an address is accessed that does not depend to the applications memory space.) It compiles without errors, I tried GTK-2.4.1 & 2.4.2 with the same result. (wxWindows is compiled without GTK2 support !) The code that doesn't work with Linux works on Windows. (9x) I found out that for any strange reason when I add the li...

Redhat Linux Network Security #2
Redhat Linux Network Security Covering everything about security would take several volumes of books, so we can only look at the basics. We can take a quick look at the primary defenses you need in order to protect yourself from unauthorized access through telephone lines (modems), as well as some aspects of network connections. We won't bother with complex solutions that are difficult to implement because they can require a considerable amount of knowledge and they apply only to specific configurations. Instead, we can look at the basic methods of buttoning up your Linux system, mo...

Network problems under 4 different Linuxes!
Hello, I have the following problem: In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) - Morphix HD Install - Mandrake 9.1 - Knoppix Under Windows XP there are no problems... Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? Thanks, Phillip Phil Perkins <PhillipPerkmann@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have the following problem: > In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under > - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) > - Morphix HD Install > - Mandrake 9.1 > - Knoppix > Under Windows XP there are no problems... > Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail > (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? > Thanks, > Phillip You didn't describe your problem very accurately, but you might wanna check out a recent posting with caption something like ADSL & pppoe connection problem. It also concerns a dual boot system and windows not shutting down components properly. To be short, try this: - Shut down the system. - Pull all the plugs (or use a physical power switch on the computer, no need to touch the modem, but try it anyways). - Restart directly to linux. - Try the connection. If this fixes it, see the posting for a fix and a reason. (Though it partially is still under slight dispute) Just a suggestion. Could be a million other things. What d...

Redhat Linux Network Security #4
Redhat Linux Network Security Covering everything about security would take several volumes of books, so we can only look at the basics. We can take a quick look at the primary defenses you need in order to protect yourself from unauthorized access through telephone lines (modems), as well as some aspects of network connections. We won't bother with complex solutions that are difficult to implement because they can require a considerable amount of knowledge and they apply only to specific configurations. Instead, we can look at the basic methods of buttoning up your Linux system, most of...

strxns 0.9.2.7 Released
Package strxns-0.9.2.7 was released under AGPLv3 2008-10-31. The OpenSS7 XNS Networking package is an implementation of X/Open Network Services (XNS 5.2) for Linux Fast-STREAMS and provides OSI conforming CDI, DLPI and NPI header files as well as several DLPI and NPI modules and drivers that convert between Linux Native IP interface and the STREAMS DLPI and NPI interface. One allows DLPI drivers to be added to Linux as IP interfaces, another provides DLPI access to native Linux IP interfaces, and a third provides NPI access to the Linux IP subsystem. This is another separate release from the OpenSS7 Project of the OpenSS7 XNS Networking package, formerly part of the (now deprecated) Linux STREAMS (LiS) package. These networking modules provide DLPI, NPI and Linux IP drivers, as well as providing CDI, DLPI and NPI header files. The package contains all the necessary manual pages and other documentation for XNS components in a separate autoconf tarball. This release is primarily a maintenance release supporting recent distributions and tool chains. This release is a stable production release for Linux Fast-STREAMS. Major features since the last public release are as follows: - Minor documentation corrections. - Kernel module license made explicit GPL v2. And then changed back to GPL. - License upgrade to AGPL Version 3. - Modifications to build under Fedora 2.6.22.5-49 kernel. These changes also support 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 kernel. N...

Network Packet Capturing Over Linux 2.4
Hello, I am a beginer at network programing. I have done Kernel Module Programing before. i wanted to enquire about that how a network packet can be captured on Linux 2.4 System? How can the packet be stored temporarily somewhere and its information can be accessed like source address, destination address etc? Currently I am reading Computer Networks By Tenenbaum and some CCNA Meterial. Please guide me from the scratch. Also suggest reading material. Abhishek Dike abhishekdike@indiatimes.com Abhishek Dike wrote: > Hello, > > I am a beginer at network programing. I have done Kernel Module > Programing before. i wanted to enquire about that how a network packet > can be captured on Linux 2.4 System? How can the packet be stored > temporarily somewhere and its information can be accessed like source > address, destination address etc? Currently I am reading Computer > Networks By Tenenbaum and some CCNA Meterial. > Please guide me from the scratch. Also suggest reading material. libcap.so and it's documentation will give You a good starting point. Cheers, Jack. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- My personal reading of the string "MicroSoft" expands to "NanoWeak"... "libpcap is a system-independent interface for user-level packet capture. libpcap provides a portable framework for low-level network monitoring. Applications include network statistics collection, security monitor...

Linux kernel 2.4.21 problem?
I am having a cable connection and a linux server as router/server with two eth cards, where i have MS-Windows machine connected on private (192.168.1.x) network. Currently the linux machine is running 2.4.20 kernel with firewall rules for masq. Everythg works well where i can access internet from my MS Windows machine etc. until recently when I upgraded my linux machine with 2.4.21 kernel and i found that MS-windows m/c unable to access the internet any more. I didn't make any changes to firewall rules neither much changes to /usr/src/linux/.config while building 2.4.21 kernel (new additions were AMANDA and TFTP modules) wrt 2.4.20 /usr/src/linux/.config file. Has anyone else observed this kind of issue with kernel 2.4.21? Comments/suggestions. Thanks Praveen In article <UVSdnauEeaDBFJCiXTWJhg@comcast.com>, Praveen Sharma wrote: > masq. Everythg works well where i can access internet from my MS Windows > machine etc. until recently when I upgraded my linux machine with 2.4.21 > kernel and i found that MS-windows m/c unable to access the internet any > more. I didn't make any changes to firewall rules neither much changes to > /usr/src/linux/.config while building 2.4.21 kernel (new additions were > AMANDA and TFTP modules) wrt 2.4.20 /usr/src/linux/.config file. How much experience do you have in configuring / compiling kernels? Was the 2.4.20 a custom kernel you configured, or did it come from your distro? Was the .config file from the...

problem with oracle 9.2 on linux redhat
Hi , I had a major situation this morning . My group is designing a 3 tiers application . Recently we upgraded our old server to a new one , a dell with 2 processors and 3Go of ram with 2 disk of 60 go on raid one and 3 disks on raid 5 on linux redhat AS 2.1 . The oracle server is 9.2.0.4 . our application is using the network to reach the instances . I have two instances , configured on two different port (1521 & 1522) with ASYNCHORNOUS I/O . This morning , people try to connect to the databases as usual but instead of succeeding , they failed to do so . The connection hanged wit...

[LINUX] Info: Intel D845GEBV2 mainboard and Linux 2.4.21/2.4.22
I recently had to install Linux on a i845 based system (D845GEBV2 mainboard). In short: Using 2.4.21 and possibly some earlier 2.4 kernels will enrich your system with "DMA timeout" and "hda: lost interrupt" errors. Using 2.4.22 will fix this. -- Mvh. / Best regards, Steen Suder <http://www.suder.dk/> ICQ UIN 4133803 ...

[News] Sabayon GNU/Linux GNOME 4.2 Released, Puppy Linux 4.2 Reviewed

Web resources about - Problem with networking - I am using RedHat 9 Linux kernel 2.4 - comp.os.linux.networking

Upstream (networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , upstream refers to the direction in which data can be transferred from the client to the server ( uploading ). This ...

Contract Systems Analyst (Networking/LAN) 160226/SA/941

4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand
4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand 24/7 Wall St. It's all around us, just look. Everywhere people are looking at phones ...

Report: Social Networking Apps Led Usage During the Super Bowl
... mobile device during the game. Specifically, Localytics , an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, found social networking, ...

13 different Netgear networking products are all on sale today only
... huge sale on Netgear products. In this sale, you're going to find killer prices on everything from routers and cable modems to powerline networking ...

10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o...
10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o... CNNMoney Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) Since 2000, when the ...

Intel Turns Its Focus to 5G Networking
At the Mobile World Congress show, the giant chip maker unveils a range of partnerships and products designed to accelerate the transition to ...

Review: Eero's Innovative Wi-Fi System Takes The Hassle Out Of Networking, For A Price
This startup's approach to Wi-Fi may be more Apple-esque than Apple's own Wi-Fi gear. More than a year ago, a startup called "Eero" announced ...

Ten Things Never To Do At A Networking Event
Here are ten "To Don't" items for networking events!

Edtech providers eye social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations