Problems with Samba, can't see or mount shares

Hello,

I am running samba 3.06 on Mandrake 10.0.  I can see shares with
smbclient but I am unable to mount shares or see them from my windows
computer. All of the other network services such as ssh ftp and http
apparently work fine.

When I attempt to mount shares on my Linux computer as a user with the
command "smbmnt Mark //localhost/homes" I do not get any error message.
When I cd to the directory that is mounted   (mounting the share on the
directory "Mark") and try to ls the directory I get the message: "ls: .:
Input/output error"
The same thing happens when I issue the df command.
I can access the shares with smbclient with no apparent errors.

When I try to umount the share as user, it hangs for a while but does
not give any error message. But df reveals that the share is still
mounted.  The only way that I can umount the share is by su ing and then
it will umount by issuing "umount /mount-point"

My smb.conf file is below. (With most of the comments deleted.)  I also
tried the smb.conf file which worked fine on my Mandrake 9.0 machine,
but I got the same results.  Can anyone offer some advice?  I would like
to be able to access files and printers on my samba server from my
windows laptop

[global]

    workgroup = MDKGROUP

    server string = Samba Server %v

    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes

    printing = cups

    printer admin = @adm

    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

    max log size = 50

    hosts allow = 172.16.0. 127.

   map to guest = bad user

    security = user

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

==============================
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

#location (the default of the ntlogon rpm available in contribs)
#root preexec = /usr/bin/ntlogon -u '%u' -g '%g' -o %a -d
/var/lib/samba/netlogon/

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
#   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer drivers.
    print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use
generic PostScript on clients).

[print$]
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    write list = @adm root
    guest ok = yes
    inherit permissions = yes
    # Settings suitable for Winbind:
    # write list = @"Domain Admins" root
    # force group = +@"Domain Admins"

# A useful application of samba is to make a PDF-generation service
# To streamline this, install windows postscript drivers (preferably colour)
# on the samba server, so that clients can automatically install them.
# Note that this only works if 'printing' is *not* set to 'cups'

[pdf-gen]
    path = /var/tmp
    guest ok = No
    printable = Yes
    comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = cups
    #print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf file path
win_path recipient IP &
    print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H"
"//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &
     lpq command = /bin/true

SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders
I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus). What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that Linux can see the XP Shares? Here is my smb.conf file, #======================= Global Settings ===================================== [global] log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m cups options = raw netbios name = Nimitz server string = Nimitz Samba socket options = TCP_NODELAY workgroup = workgroup os level = 20 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers encrypt passwords = yes winbind trusted domains only = yes security = user passdb backend = tdbsam max log size = 50 General Schvantzkoph wrote: > I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and > CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM > sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes > (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other > and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared > folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network ...

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Samba: Windows can't see Linux
I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, etc. The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found that the nmb test fails. That is, nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72 does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the RH72 box itself! Changing the IP in that command from the "broadcast" IP to RH72'2 IP does give the correct response, and "smbclient -L //RH72" produces a correct list of shares. So, it seems that RH72 is not responding when queried on the broadcast IP. How can I fix this? (I've already tried invoking nmbd with the "-B" option, but that didn't work.) Thanks! --Robert Robert Book wrote: > I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. > > The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, > etc. > The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba > purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux > box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. > > I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found > that the nmb test fails. ...

can't see shared drives on home network
I have two computers at home. One is an older Dell running XP Home with all patches *except* SR2 (tried, but can't make it boot with SR2). I just bought a dimension 3000 with XP Home with all patches including SR2. Both connect to the internet through a Linksys hub/wireless port (they are both hardwired). I have set up networking on both by going through the wizard and selecting ("Computer connected to the internet through residential gateway"). I gave them both the same workgroup name of "mynameHOME". The older one is called "kitchen" and the ...

iTunes help: I can't see any shared libraries on my home network
I have a Mac running Jaguar and a Windows XP Pro machine at home on a network with a Linksys cable router acting as DHCP server and gateway to the internet. I have iTunes 4.2 running on both the Mac and XP machines but cannot seem to access any shared libraries. The Mac can see my shared library on the XP machine but when I actually click on the library I get a mesage that the shared library is not accessible and to check if any firewall software is blocking port 3689. I have verified that: - Both iTunes are version 4.2 - The Mac is not using the firewall software to block port 3689 - Both i...

Don't see RISC OS computer in 'My network places'
Hi, I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98. I can ping both ways. Laptop's 'Workgroup' name = Iyonix's 'Local domain' name. Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'. LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my Iyonix. But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's 'My network places' or 'View workgroup computers'. Any clues? (I'll see any replies and will be able to reply on Tuesday.) Chris Bell. In message <5116f14253news@highpath.net> Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote: > Hi, > I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98. > I can ping both ways. > Laptop's 'Workgroup' name = Iyonix's 'Local domain' name. > Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'. > LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my Iyonix. > But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's 'My > network places' or 'View workgroup computers'. Any clues? > (I'll see any replies and will be able to reply on Tuesday.) > Chris Bell. So are you sharing the Iyonix folders via !smbserver , if not then this is the reason they can't be seen. -- Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.16, the thinking person's alternative operating system to Microsoft Windows. In article <5116f14...

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe...

samba won't become local master browser and can't resolve netbios names (broadcast address problem)
i am trying to set up samba 3.0.4 as a domain controller for a set of approximately 7 computers as a means of coordinating workgroup login passwords on each in my lab on my university campus. originally i used a linksys wireless router in gateway mode with its dhcp server enabled and everything worked magnificently when all the computers were behind this wireless gateway. i then decided that it would be better to open everything up and use the wireless router as a switch because there were other computers beyond the uplink cable that were using windows filesharing that i wanted to ac...

Stumped
They say a picture is worth a thousand words - So here's the picture (OK, would you believe a < 100K PDF screenshot of my Xcode window?) <http://home.comcast.net/~dakiddfishhook/Problem.pdf> Comments in it give the details, and I think I've managed to make everything that's relevant visible. Needless to say, this one is a stumper for me. Any help out there? -- Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info Don Bruder <dakidd@sonic.net> wrote: > They say a picture is worth a thousand words - So here's the picture > (OK, would you believe a < 100K PDF screenshot of my Xcode window?) > > <http://home.comcast.net/~dakiddfishhook/Problem.pdf> > > Comments in it give the details, and I think I've managed to make > everything that's relevant visible. Needless to say, this one is a > stumper for me. Any help out there? Could it be that you defined 'isTheValueAtIndex:::' on TableViewController, when you really want in in NSDictionaryAdditions? (as an aside, naming an NSDictionary ivar 'ItemList' is a bit confusing) patrick In article <oPydnXfXpYWwIh...

Samba clients can't see partitions mounted via loop device from image files
Is there something special about filesystems mounted via the loop device, which prevents Samba from sharing them? I have a small LAN with several PCs on it. It has a few Windows machines, and a Linux machine running Mandrake 10 (kernel 2.6.3), which shares out its root ("/") read-only as "c". (Temporarily, for testing, it is shared with full write permissions, which I know is terrible.) On the Mandrake (er, Mandriva) Linux box, I have image files from a few small hard disk drives. While logged on as root, I've mounted partitions on two of those image files, via the loop device: # first partition in drive1.ima is an NTFS partition: losetup -r -o 32256 /dev/loop1 drive1.ima mount -t ntfs /dev/loop1 /mnt/img1 # first partition in drive2.ima is a FAT32 partition: losetup -o 32256 /dev/loop2 drive2.ima mount -t vfat /dev/loop2 /mnt/img2 The drive*.ima files and /mnt/img* mount points are all owned by root and are wide-open ("chmod 777"). The loop device mounts work fine: From the Linux box, I can view the files in both /mnt/img1/* and /mnt/img2/* with no problems, and I can create or modify files in /mnt/img2/* Samba is also working: From a Win2K or WinNT 4.0 client PC, I can see everything else on the Linux box, and I can read (and temporarily write) files in any of the other partitions which are mounted on the Linux box. But the Windows client machines cannot see any files on either of the two loop-device-mounted partitions...

I can share internet but computers can't see each other
I have two XP machines, a laptop and desktop, I can share an internet connection using a D-Link wireless broadband router, but when I try to share a printer or files, the PC's cannot see each other. I've enabled sharing on everything on both machines. I ran the IP address from the start menu (\\192.168.0.101) and it does not good. My wife needs to print her work out and she's getting frustrated at me and my lack of networking skills. Help! Make sure both PCs are on the same workgroup, but have different names. Right click on "My Computer" and select &quo...

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

Can't see external network; internal network is OK
Hi, I am setting up a small office network with some Linux boxes (RHEL, CentOS) and some Windows XP laptops. These computers are all behind a Netscreen 5GT firewall which also serves as DHCP server. >From the Windows computers I can see external hosts (ISP nameservers, Google, Yahoo). >From the Linux computers I can see the other hosts on the local network (both Linux and Windows) and the other hosts can see the Linux boxes too. But the Linux boxes cannot see any host (e.g. ISP nameservers, Google's ip address) external to the local network. I'm guessing that I've forgotten something very simple. If you can think of something I should check, I'd be interested to hear about it. Thanks for your help, Robert Dodier PS. The same equipment was working in a different location, we're just trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together. On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:29:39 -0800, Robert Dodier wrote: > Hi, > > I am setting up a small office network with some Linux boxes > (RHEL, CentOS) and some Windows XP laptops. > These computers are all behind a Netscreen 5GT firewall which > also serves as DHCP server. > >>From the Windows computers I can see external hosts > (ISP nameservers, Google, Yahoo). >>From the Linux computers I can see the other hosts on > the local network (both Linux and Windows) and the other > hosts can see the Linux boxes too. But the Linux boxes > cannot see any host (e.g. ISP nameservers, Google...

Why can't I see my OS X HD when booted in OS 9?
I have a G4 466 machine with two partitions. It was reformatted for OS X without the OS 9 boot capability checked for either partition. When booting from a Norton CD under OS 9, the two partitions can't be seen, either by the OS or by the Norton utility. Is this normal, or did the Computer Tech do some trick to keep me from modifying it? I'm trying to add my old sounds collection to the Classic OS 9 System. It doesn't seem to be possible while running a Classic program. It jumps out of classic as soon as I attempt to move a sound file. Fred Fred McKenzie <fmmck@aol.com> wrote: > I have a G4 466 machine with two partitions. It was reformatted for OS X > without the OS 9 boot capability checked for either partition. > > When booting from a Norton CD under OS 9, the two partitions can't be > seen, either by the OS or by the Norton utility. Is this normal, or did > the Computer Tech do some trick to keep me from modifying it? OS 9, no matter what device it is booted from, must load drivers for ATA and SCSI drives from the drives themselves. If the device has no driver compatible with OS 9, no volumes on it can be mounted in OS 9. (This does ~not~ apply to running Classic in OS X, which provides all storage devices for use by Classic.) Apple should have made the language next to the check box in Disk Utility read something like "Make this drive usable in OS 9". ...

Can't connect to network share as other user unless I disconnect network drives
I hope someone can offer some insight here. I work in a 140+ PC network using a Windows Domain (Windows 2000 Server) and a mix of PCs running withwer Windows XP pro or Windows 2000 pro. Our file server is Linux (Debian). All works well for most functions. However there is one puzzle. When I am installing something on an end user's PC, I need to install it under my own profile (administrator rights) and access a directory on that file server, as that is where the install files are located. When I click Start --> Run --> "\\server-name" it prompts me, as expected, for ...

Can't connect to network share as other user unless I disconnect network drives
I hope someone can offer some insight here. I work in a 140+ PC network using a Windows Domain (Windows 2000 Server) and a mix of PCs running withwer Windows XP pro or Windows 2000 pro. Our file server is Linux (Debian). All works well for most functions. However there is one puzzle. When I am installing something on an end user's PC, I need to install it under my own profile (administrator rights) and access a directory on that file server, as that is where the install files are located. When I click Start --> Run --> "\\server-name" it prompts me, as expected, for ...

OT, Linux: bash can't see a file that's there, really!
Sorry for the OT post, but I figure I'll get a quicker, more useful response here. Brand new computer, Xubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 12.04 I just copied over my Codesourcery directory to /usr/share/arm-none-eabi (where it was on the old machine, and where everything worked fine). Bash insists it's not there, even though I can see it in a directory: Here's ls: $ ls -l /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/*gcc -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 270608 Aug 6 2014 /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/ arm-none-eabi-gcc Here's when I try to run it: $ /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin...

Can see Suse and Window server, but can't access SuSe shares
Using LinNeighborhood to look at network.I'm running SUSE 9 on the system.. have no clue what happened. I use to be able to see the Suse box and the Window boxes on the network. Now i can see the SuSe box..but can't access the shares. I can still see and access the window boxes.. and they can see the SuSe box and access them. Just can't get the SuSe box to access itself from the LAN network. I see alot about not being able to see the window boxes and stuff.. but can't find how to configure this box to access itself thru the LAN. ...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Maybe it's a security problem? File() can't see remote drives
It seems that the java.io.File() class can't see files and directories on other computers on a particular Windows network. For example: C:\ is a local drive Z:\ is a mapped drive on another computer (new File("C:\\mydir\myfile.txt")).exists() == true; (new File("Z:\\mydir\myfile.txt")).exists() == false; myfile *does* exist on the Z: drive. You can navigate to it using Windows Explorer, click on it, and edit it. You can also cd to this drive at the command prompt. My best guess is that this is a security/authentication issue. The network uses Active Directory to au...

PPTP VPN client can make connection but can't see network resources
Hi, I am trying to setup a VPN between my home and the office and can only get it partially working. Office ------- * Small network connected to the internet by a Draytek router (Draytek 2600). * Draytek router has an inbuilt VPN server which is setup and running. Home ----- * Win98 Box. Have installed VPN client and can successfully attach to the Draytek routers VPN server across the intenet and get access to all the office network resources. This was very simple to do and works fine. * SUSE Linux box. Have installed pptp and can establish a connection to the Draytek routers VPN server over the internet but can't get access to any of the office network resources. Can succesfully ping the Draytek over the VPN connection on 192.168.1.1 but can't ping any other computer on the office network. * At home my Win98 box and SUSE Linux box are connected to the Internet through a Dlink router with VPN passthrough enabled. Can anyone shed any light on why I can connect to the Draytek VPN server on my Linux Box but can't see or ping any of the computers hanging off it. Win98 VPN client does it fine so all the hardware side seems to be able to communicate ok. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. JP ...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

Web resources about - Problems with Samba, can't see or mount shares - comp.os.linux.networking