Resource temporarily unavailable

Hi,

I am using
Linux version 2.6.3-16mdk (qateam@updates.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version
3.3.2

(Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)) #1 Fri Aug 13 16:33:14 MDT 2004

and sometimes (usually the first time i try), I get

connect: Resource temporarily unavailable

when trying to make network connections.

This happens (for example) if I do a ping www.bbc.co.uk - the first time it
fails, then

it works:

[root@scoop proc]# ping www.bbc.co.uk
connect: Resource temporarily unavailable
[root@scoop proc]# ping www.bbc.co.uk
PING www.bbc.co.uk (212.58.224.35) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www5.thdo.bbc.co.uk (212.58.224.35): icmp_seq=1 ttl=248
time=27.7 ms

--- www.bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

It is not limited to ping - looking at my postfix logs, it has been
affecting Postfix

as well:

syslog:Sep  2 11:30:12 scoop postfix/smtp[16033]: A26F62CCFE:
to=<(REMOVED)@(REMOVED)>,

relay=none, delay=31999, status=deferred (connect to
mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:

Resource temporarily unavailable)

I thought it may be an interupt clash, but a cat of /proc/interupt shows
that the NIC

has a interput to itself:

           CPU0
  0:   48017289    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:        774    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 12:        170    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:     866643    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:         60    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd
 17:          0   IO-APIC-level  Intel ICH5
 18:     169084   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd, saa7146 (1)
 19:          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd
 21:     678036   IO-APIC-level  eth0
 22:     766231   IO-APIC-level  ohci1394, saa7146 (0)
 23:     734575   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd
NMI:          0
LOC:   48018946
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

I have googled a lot for this, and cannot find any answers. Can anyone tell
me where to

start looking please?

thanks

George

0
usenet6316 (13)

Forgot to mention, my ethernet chipset is

eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xe194e000, 00:10:a7:07:a8:f4, IRQ 21
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'

(The motherboard has onboard gigabyte ethernet, but I couldnt get Linus to
recognise it, so I put in a cheap 100 card)

cheers

usenet6316 (13)
9/2/2004 11:24:50 AM
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:04:25 +0100, George Styles wrote:
> I am using Linux version 2.6.3-16mdk
>(qateam@updates.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux
>10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)) #1 Fri Aug 13 16:33:14 MDT 2004 and sometimes
>(usually the first time i try), I get connect: Resource temporarily
>unavailable

See answer given in first news group you posted to.

net etiquette/Newsgroup tip:

Multi-posting is considered antisocial on Usenet.

If you want to send the same message to more than one newsgroup, CROSSPOST!
And if you crosspost, provide a Followup newsgroup.

Some will argue that you not even crosspost because of the amount/type
of newsgroups that we have today.

As an example to post to "comp.os.linux.security", and
"alt.security", use the following Newsgroups line:
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.security,alt.security

See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

You conserve resources on NNTP servers, and other readers
see the follow up answers and do not have to provide the same answer.
Also, once a reader has "read" a message in one group, they do
not have to see it again unless someone has provided a follow up.
0
BitTwister (751)
9/2/2004 12:47:34 PM
Sorry! I thought that crossposting was considered 'bad', thats why I went to
the trouble to post it
4 times

usenet6316 (13)
9/2/2004 1:34:37 PM
George Styles wrote:

> Sorry! I thought that crossposting was considered 'bad', thats why I went
> to the trouble to post it
> 4 times

If you cross post, once a message has been read in one forum, you won't see
it again in another.  If you multipost, each message will be read, even
though it's identical to the other copies.

--

(This space intentionally left blank)
0

thanks to everyone on usenet who solved my problem :) i am having happy
penguin once again :)

usenet6316 (13)

linux pthread_cancel resource temporarily unavailable
Hi, I have a problem cancelling threads with pthread_cancel under Linux. The logic is the following: Start a few threads in a mother thread which read different device files. The thread which finnishes first will cancel all sister threads. The mother thread joins all sister threads and repeats the whole procedure. This works without problems for a while, but after some time (in which the program does not need to run) it is not possible to cancel sister threads anymore and pthread_cancel is returning "resource temporarily unavailable" when the program is run the next time...

Doing fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
Hello, I would like to use the xcscope tool inside XEmacs. I have installed Cygwin/Windowmaker and XEmacs 21.4 on W2k and it works fine . I have copied cscope.exe and cscope-indexer into the /usr/bin an dI have loaded the xcscope.el into Xemacs. Every time when I try to run cscope I get the message "Doing fork: Resource temporarily unavailable" or "Can't exec program /bin/cscope.exe". I don't understand this, because the gdb, diff and gcc/make are running inside XEmacs. Any idea? Thank you very much Klaus >>>>> "klaus" == ...

timer_create(): Resource temporarily unavailable
Hi all! I'm trying to write an app using POSIX timers. But timer_create() fails every time I call it with "Resource temporarily unavailable". I think this is a Linux problem, as it works on QNX. What could be causing this problem? I have searched through google and mailing lists but there was nothing. (I hope this is the right group for that issue.) Many Thanks! Klaus My System: Distribution: SuSE 9.2 Linux werckmeister 2.6.8-24.13-default #1 Fri Mar 18 10:19:42 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3 (20040917), by Roland ...

Resource temporarily unavailable problem.
ACE VERSION: 5.2.1 OPERATING SYSTEM and COMPILER: Linux version 2.6.10_SELP_MIPS (gcc version 3.4.3 (MontaVista Linux 3.4.3-25.0.87.custom 2006-11-24)) mips2_nfp_le-g++ 3.4.3 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: Naming_Service isn't running in my target. EXECUTION? No SYNOPSIS: I typed the instruction as you can see. ../Naming_Service -ORBListenEndpoints iiop://10.88.49.123:8000 After running it, system generated message as below. ACE_INET_Addr::ACE_INET_Addr: localhost: Resource temporarily unavailable notification pipe open failed: Inv...

Socket Resource temporarily unavailable
Hi, I am the following issue - the following program accept socket and tries to read and write to the socket. the "send" - has no problem but on "read" or "recv" I get the following error - "Resource temporarily unavailable" any idea what could be the problem? if((sock = accept(listener,(struct sockaddr *)&sin,&namelen)) < 0) { if(errno == EAGAIN) return(-1); if(errno != EINTR) { cl_error("Error %d accepting connection request on port %d", err...

ZMQError: Resource temporarily unavailable
I am using zero-mq for IPC between two machines. My zmq function is given below def recieve_messages(self): string = self.sub_socket.recv(flags=zmq.NOBLOCK) print('flow mod messages recieved {}'.format(string)) When I run the program however I get the following error. string = self.sub_socket.recv(flags=zmq.NOBLOCK) File "socket.pyx", line 616, in zmq.core.socket.Socket.recv (zmq/core/socket.c:5961) File "socket.pyx", line 650, in zmq.core.socket.Socket.recv (zmq/core/socket.c:5832) File "...

Error: input: Resource temporarily unavailable
I'm continually having vi die with the error: Error: input: Resource temporarily unavailable I don't do anything more than change context eg switch to another xterm temporarily, not sure if even that is necessary to cause this crash. Has anyone else seen this happen, and found a cure? I'm on 4.10, but have seen it on 4.9 too. thanks, joel In article <cfus15$3dj$1@bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au>, Joel Hatton <uqjhatto@mailbox.uq.edu.au> wrote: > > >I'm continually having vi die with the error: > >Error: input: Resource temporarily unavai...

HP-UX : Resource temporarily unavailable
Hello, I am getting this error intermittently on my HP-UX box. I am using ACE+TAO-1.2a. Here is a snippet with debug level 10. I have searched the support page and there are notes posted that this has been fixed in 1.2 beta version. Could you please confirm if the version I have does/does not have the fix. Thanks, Max.. TAO (6292|3) - TAO_Transport::drain_queue_helper, byte_count = 592, head_i s_empty = 1 TAO (6292|3) - TAO_Transport::drain_queue_i, helper retval = 1 (6292 |3) index in find <0> (6292|3) IIOP_Connector::connect - got an existing transport with i...

Resource temporarily unavailable launching idle under cygwin
Hello everyone. Trying to run idle from a cygwin session on Win2k (yuk, but I must) I'm getting the following error message. It seems something more Windoze-driven that Python driven, and I'm not and don't wanna be an expert on that OS. Since the group has a good mix of users in different platforms, perhaps someone can help. Python runs fine, my programs run fine, and I can edit in vim and run my code. However, would be nice to have idle available from time to time Thanks in advance!! $ idle 23367 [main] python2.4 1668 C:\cygwin\bin\python2.4.exe: *** fatal error - C:\ c...

error with system() command: Resource temporarily unavailable
Hi, We are running a C program on AIX version 4.3 and calling an exe using the system command. system(csCmd) -where csCmd = "myprog.exe parameter" This returns with errno=11 Resource temporarily unavailable the same command runs fine on the shell prompt. Max number of processes allocated to the user-id is 500 and the user-id is using 47 processes. what could be the problem ? thanks in advance Arti artpot78@yahoo.com (Arti Potnis) wrote in message news:<ece8ea46.0407060151.1efe110b@posting.google.com>... <snip> > We are running a C program on AIX version 4.3 an...

Web resources about - Resource temporarily unavailable - comp.os.linux.networking

Temporarily Yours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deb DeAngelo ( Debi Mazar ), a young woman is desperate for a luxurious, cheaply priced New York City apartment. She lies to the landlady about ...

The Daily Beast Temporarily Banned From Facebook Due To Painting Featuring Bea Arthur’s Breasts
With more than 350 million photos per day being added to Facebook, the social network’s huge work load of content moderation will inevitably ...

Facebook temporarily closes PMD program to new applicants due to demand
... had “halted” the PMD program. A Facebook spokesperson clarified to us that the program is still in effect, though new applicants are temporarily ...

I am unable to send links from my linkblogging tool to Twitter. This outage started at 5:45PM Eastern yesterday. The last four of my links didn't ...

The Laser Weapon System (LaWS) is temporarily installed aboard USS Dewey. - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
SAN DIEGO (July 30, 2012) The Laser Weapon System (LaWS) temporarily installed aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS Dewey (DDG 105) in San ...

Stevens Pass Operations Temporarily Suspended - YouTube
Unfortunately, Stevens Pass is suspending operations until we receive more snow. That said, we are committed to reopening if we get enough snow ...

ASOS temporarily offline after warehouse fire
A warehouse belonging to popular online fashion retailer ASOS has been damaged by fire forcing the internet retailer to cease taking orders. ...

Amazon temporarily stops Microsoft 950 XL sales in the UK and France
Following the halt of selling Lumia 950 XL in Germany, Amazon UK temporarily stopped the sales of the device in the UK and France.

Consumer confidence up, temporarily

Doomed cargo ship will temporarily make way for cruise liner
A cargo ship that has been blocking a Western Victorian port for more than a month will move aside to allow a cruise ship to dock.