SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders

I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and
CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM
sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes
(both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other
and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared
folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus).

What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that
Linux can see the XP Shares?

Here is my smb.conf file,

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================

[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	cups options = raw
	netbios name = Nimitz
	server string = Nimitz Samba
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	workgroup = workgroup
	os level = 20
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	encrypt passwords = yes
	winbind trusted domains only = yes
	security = user
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	max log size = 50
0
schvantzkoph (1943)

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and
> CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM
> sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes
> (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other
> and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared
> folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus).
>
> What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that
> Linux can see the XP Shares?
>

> Here is my smb.conf file,
>
> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================
>
> [global]
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	cups options = raw
> 	netbios name = Nimitz
> 	server string = Nimitz Samba
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> 	workgroup = workgroup
> 	os level = 20
> 	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> 	encrypt passwords = yes
> 	winbind trusted domains only = yes
> 	security = user
> 	passdb backend = tdbsam
> 	max log size = 50

If it's a VM, then the VM server needs to open the relevant ports for SAMBA.

See the VMWare documentation.
0
Thunderbird (259)

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in locat...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Samba: Windows can't see Linux
I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, etc. The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found that the nmb test fails. That is, nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72 does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the RH72 box itself! Changing the IP in...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Linux box can't acess windows ntwrk...
hi, i'm running RedHat 8.0 with linux 2.4.18-14 with samba 2.2.8a I have no problem to acees shares on the linux box from win2k boxes BUT to access win boxes from he linux box is another problem : * Using LinNeighborhood, I can't browse anything the network seems to be empty... * using tools such as jags, xsmbrowser or TkSmb, i can browse the whole network neighborhood but can't display or access any share from the win boxes.... though theycan be between win2k boxes My smb.conf file (handled by swat / webmin) is as follow : **************************************...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

Can't connect to linux (censornet) box with Putty SSH on Windows XP (could before machine clean down)
Hi folks, I work in a school. All 3 of us technicians use Putty to connect from Wimdows XP machines to 2 Linux servers running web-filtering software (Censornet). I had to clean down my machine a couple of days ago and since then I haven't been able to reconnect. We get a network timeout message, but I'm guessing the server is rejecting my attempt to connect because it doesn't recognise it. Could this be something to do with Keys not existing on my machine. If so is there a way of rectifying the problem. Any help gratefully received. <bussand@googlemail.com> wrote: > I had to clean down my machine a couple of days ago and since then I > haven't been able to reconnect. We get a network timeout message, but > I'm guessing the server is rejecting my attempt to connect because it > doesn't recognise it. Could this be something to do with Keys not > existing on my machine. No. 'Network timed out' means that the server didn't respond to the initial attempt to make the SSH connection in the first place. PuTTY wouldn't have started sending keys down the line until long after the connection was established. Your problem is more fundamental than that; it's probably nothing to do with PuTTY or SSH at all, but will affect all of your networking on the affected machine. -- Simon Tatham "Selfless? I'm so selfless I <anakin@pobox.com> don't even know who I am." If you telnet to the cen...

Can't connect W2K Box To Linux Box
I've installed FC-5 and Using swat I configured samba But I Can't semm to Connect from the Win2K box to My Linux Box In my Network Places I can see the Linux box and the "Share" In my /Home/Share But when I click on the share I receive the following Error \\Linux\Share is not accessible The Network name cannot be found Since I can see the Share Then Samba setup seem to be OK I don't know what is wron I would appreciate some help Charles Snoopy :-)) wrote: > \\Linux\Share is not accessible > The Network name cannot be found i don't user swat, so YMMV. Is the user you're trying to connect with a valid user on your Linux box? On the Linux box, have you done: (as root) smbpasswd -a validuser (enter password of 'validuser' a couple of times) That will add the 'validuser' to the smbpasswd file. You may also need to do: smbpasswd -e validuser (to enable the validuser). Then try again. man smbpasswd for more info. -- Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks. (remove _eh to email) Snoopy :-)) wrote: > I've installed FC-5 and Using swat I configured samba > But I Can't semm to Connect from the Win2K box to My Linux Box > > In my Network Places > I can see the Linux box and the "Share" In my /Home/Share > But when I click on the share I receive the following Error > > \\Linux\Share is not accessible > The Network name cannot be found > > Since I can see the Shar...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

OT, Linux: bash can't see a file that's there, really!
Sorry for the OT post, but I figure I'll get a quicker, more useful response here. Brand new computer, Xubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 12.04 I just copied over my Codesourcery directory to /usr/share/arm-none-eabi (where it was on the old machine, and where everything worked fine). Bash insists it's not there, even though I can see it in a directory: Here's ls: $ ls -l /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/*gcc -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 270608 Aug 6 2014 /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/ arm-none-eabi-gcc Here's when I try to run it: $ /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

How can I network 3 Windows PC's and 2 Linux PC's?
I have three Winodws running PC's(Win 2K, XP), I downloaded lot of freely available programs (anti-virus and some other installable programs) and stored on one PC. I want to install the same programs on other Windows PC's, How can I access it. All are on the local LAN. I can ping each PC from any of the machine. The same way can I access the files on my Wiondows PC from Linux PC and viceversa?. How can I do that?. Please let me know. If I access my PC where I stored all of my programs from another PC, it will be very quick to install. Also I need to access some files across PC&...

Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!
OK I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know, when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't use command like "file" to tell me what it is. And the system doesn't have a command like find ~/ -type f -perm +1 -cmin -40 -printf '%p\t%m\n' -exec rm {} \; which would have deleted ALL the spyware files. I was forced to do something like this http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000888.html June 15, 2007 How to Clean Up a Windows Spyware Infestation I recently upgraded my dedicated racing simulation P...

[News] Linux... Because You Can't Really Buy Vista or OS X (You Can Rent Them Only)
Did you just buy a copy of VISTA? well, its not yours. ,----[ Quote ] | What has happened to consumer rights? We have signed them all away (myself | included). Its like buying a car , and having the manufacturer tell you that | you cannot drive it here or there and you can not let your Kids drive it | because you bought it, and you can not change the color because we (the car | company ) think it looks better in green. What a load of B*&s!*t. When was | the last time you actually took the time to read the terms and conditions on | any software you recently bought? in fact we trust these big companies so | much that even if they asked us to sign of our homes to them before we could | install Windows Vista or MAC OS/x we would, without even a second thought. `---- http://www.bligblogblag.com/windows-vista/2007/10/19/did-you-just-buy-a-copy-of-vista-well-its-not-yours.html Related: EULA: What Are You Signing Away? ,----[ Quote ] | EULAs are not negotiated or negotiable, they are rarely read, and they are | frequently difficult to obtain, said Rasch. "I just bought an iPhone and | couldn't even see the TOS until I opened the box, synched the iPhone and then | agreed to the TOS -- and had to pay a restocking fee and activation fee if I | disagreed," Rasch commented.     `---- http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/58451.html Windows Vista's new spin on licensing ,----[ Quote ] | As with corporate software licenses, the pri...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

[News] Debian Runs Windows Programs Also (Windows Can't Run Linux Programs)

Intel 82559 network adapter / Windows CE 5.0
Hi all, I'm having problems with my Intel 82559 network adapter under Windows CE 5.0. I generated an image which includes the driver for the adapter, and the connection icon appears. DHCP works fine too, and the device can access the internet normally via browser, ping other machines, etc. But it seems completely non-responsive to clients, even to any PING request. Has anyone had similar problems with this network adapter? This adapter is on-board, and the model of the board is ICP Electronics NOVA-4898. TIA, Wagner I solved the problem selecting the option "Cleanup Before Build" in Platform Builder and rebuilding the project. Regards, Wagner dias.wagner@gmail.com escreveu: > Hi all, > > I'm having problems with my Intel 82559 network adapter under Windows > CE 5.0. I generated an image which includes the driver for the adapter, > and the connection icon appears. DHCP works fine too, and the device > can access the internet normally via browser, ping other machines, etc. > But it seems completely non-responsive to clients, even to any PING > request. > > Has anyone had similar problems with this network adapter? This adapter > is on-board, and the model of the board is ICP Electronics NOVA-4898. > > TIA, > > Wagner ...

using NAT Router, can't block gmail, can I use Linux box instaed of NAT Router?
using NAT Router for small office, can't block gmail, can I use Linux box to block gmail (all web based e-mails) instead of NAT Router to do block, will it support?. Thanks santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > using NAT Router for small office, can't block gmail, can I use Linux > box to block gmail (all web based e-mails) instead of NAT Router to do > block, will it support?. Thanks If you need to allow other Web traffic, you're OOL. The webmails are just web pages and they cannot easily be distinguished from valid web traffic by the firewall. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi Tauno Voipio wrote: > santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote: > >> using NAT Router for small office, can't block gmail, can I use Linux >> box to block gmail (all web based e-mails) instead of NAT Router to do >> block, will it support?. Thanks > > > > If you need to allow other Web traffic, you're OOL. The > webmails are just web pages and they cannot easily be > distinguished from valid web traffic by the firewall. > I don't think the original poster was at all clear in describing what he/she wants to do. You could indeed block access to a particular web site, knowing its IP address. But when I read the posting, I thought the concern was with incoming mail from such web based e-mails (and there are many others besides gmail). So I think we need clarification. Or perhaps the OP is clueless (as evidenced by the g...

Can't route through Linux box
I'm trying to setup a linux box (Kernel 2.4.18) to act as a server/ router. We have an SDSL connection with a few static IP's. With the following setup, I can ping the sdsl router 66.80.220.65 from the linux system. I Can ping any of the PC's (66.80.220.67,68,69,70) from the linux system. I can ping the linux system (66.80.220.66,71) from any of the PC's. Problem is: I cannot ping the SDSL router(66.80.220.65) from any of the PC's. Here is ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:CC:5E:F9:9D inet addr:66.80.220.71 Bcast:66.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:1458 (1.4 Kb) TX bytes:1040 (1.0 Kb) Interrupt:5 Base address:0xd000 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:48:23:B5:DF inet addr:66.80.220.66 Bcast:66.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:693 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:525 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:69481 (67.8 Kb) TX bytes:365582 (357.0 Kb) Interrupt:9 Base address:0x2000 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 ...

Why can't Linux see my NIC?
I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag during boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm on Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router. Any ideas? Thanks. Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote: > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. It would be a little easier if you know which NIC is that. Davide -- | Reporter (t...

Web resources about - SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders - comp.os.linux.networking