Samba: Windows can't see Linux

I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a.

The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares,
etc.
The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba
purposes (ping, ssh, etc.)  But, the Windows box can't see the Linux
box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares.

I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found
that the nmb test fails.  That is,

    nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72

does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the
RH72 box itself!

Changing the IP in that command from the "broadcast" IP to RH72'2 IP
does give the correct response, and "smbclient -L //RH72" produces a
correct list of shares.

So, it seems that RH72 is not responding when queried on the broadcast
IP.

How can I fix this?

(I've already tried invoking nmbd with the "-B" option, but that
didn't work.)

Thanks!

--Robert
0
rbook1 (9)

Robert Book wrote:

> I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a.
>
> The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares,
> etc.
> The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba
> purposes (ping, ssh, etc.)  But, the Windows box can't see the Linux
> box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares.
>
> I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found
> that the nmb test fails.  That is,
>
>     nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72
>
> does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the
> RH72 box itself!
>
> Changing the IP in that command from the "broadcast" IP to RH72'2 IP
> does give the correct response, and "smbclient -L //RH72" produces a
> correct list of shares.
>
> So, it seems that RH72 is not responding when queried on the broadcast
> IP.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> (I've already tried invoking nmbd with the "-B" option, but that
> didn't work.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Robert

Did you check /var/log/messages and /var/log/samba/* for any indication of
whats not working?  nmbd should start at the same time samba does.  You
should be starting samba with /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start...and that should
start both services.  Also, you may want to post your smb.conf file.

Finally, sometimes it takes a while, 15+ minutes, before the smb machines
work out new elections.  It may show up if you just wait around for a
while.

Andy

Andy wrote:

> Robert Book wrote:
>
> > I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a.
> >
> > The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares,
> > etc.
> > The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba
> > purposes (ping, ssh, etc.)  But, the Windows box can't see the Linux
> > box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares.
> >
> > I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found
> > that the nmb test fails.  That is,
> >
> >     nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72
> >
> > does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the
> > RH72 box itself!
> >
> > Changing the IP in that command from the "broadcast" IP to RH72'2 IP
> > does give the correct response, and "smbclient -L //RH72" produces a
> > correct list of shares.
> >
> > So, it seems that RH72 is not responding when queried on the broadcast
> > IP.
> >
> > How can I fix this?
> >
> > (I've already tried invoking nmbd with the "-B" option, but that
> > didn't work.)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Robert
>
> Did you check /var/log/messages and /var/log/samba/* for any indication of
> whats not working?  nmbd should start at the same time samba does.  You
> should be starting samba with /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start...and that should
> start both services.  Also, you may want to post your smb.conf file.
>
> Finally, sometimes it takes a while, 15+ minutes, before the smb machines
> work out new elections.  It may show up if you just wait around for a
> while.
>
> Andy

Andy,

I did check the log files, and did some tests with nmblookup, and the
problem seems to be that the Linux box (Samba server) doesn't respond to
queries on the broadcast IP number.  It does respond on it's own IP
number, but I don't know if it's possible/advisable to tell the windows
box that the broadcast IP is the IP of one specific machine on the
network.

I am starting smbd and nmbd with "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start"; I've
checked and both are running.  In fact, the Unix box can access itself
with smbclient, and can access the Windows box with smbclient and even
smbmount.

And, I've waited a LOT longer than 15 minutes -- I blew a couple of
hours on this before posting the problem.

My smb.conf file is below.  The RH72 box is named "Melody" and has IP
192.168.5.1; the Win98 box is "laptop" and has IP 192.168.5.2.  Samba
version is 2.2.8a, Linux kernel version is 2.4.20.

Thanks!

--Robert

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
"testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   #workgroup = MYGROUP
   workgroup = BOOKHOME
   netbios name = MELODY

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   #server string = Samba Server
   server string = Dell XPS-R350 (Linux - Samba %v)

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    hosts allow = 192.168.5.1 192.168.5.2 192.168.5.20 192.168.5.255
127.0.0.1

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = lprng

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   #max log size = 0
   max log size = 64

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   #security = user
   security = SHARE

# Use password server option only with security = server
# The argument list may include:
#   password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
# or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
#   password server = *
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8
  password level = 8
  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following is needed to keep smbclient from spouting spurious
errors
# when Samba is built with support for SSL.
;   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

# This parameter will control whether or not Samba should obey PAM's
# account and session management directives. The default behavior is
# to use PAM for clear text authentication only and to ignore any
# account or session management. Note that Samba always ignores PAM
# for authentication in the case of encrypt passwords = yes

;  obey pam restrictions = yes

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
   interfaces = eth0 192.168.5.1/255.255.255.0

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#	a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
   remote browse sync = 192.168.5.1 192.168.5.2 192.168.5.20
192.168.5.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44
   remote announce = 192.168.5.1 192.168.5.2 192.168.5.20 192.168.5.255

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no
;   local master = yes

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
;   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
;   preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
;   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
# 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be
specified
# the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the
unix
# system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts
OR
# DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config,
/etc/nsswitch.conf
# and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system
configuration
# dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
# in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
# The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that
are NOT
# on the local network segment
# - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast wins

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one	WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
  case sensitive = no

	min password length = 4

==============================
#[homes]
#   comment = Home Directories
#   browseable = no
#   writable = yes
#   valid users = %S
#   create mode = 0664
#   directory mode = 0775
## If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped to a guest
user
#; map to guest = bad user

[C]
	comment = Melody
	path = /c
	#revalidate = Yes
	browseable = yes
	valid users = rbook mbook Robert Mandy
	public = yes

[D]
	comment = Data
	path = /d
	#revalidate = Yes
	writeable = Yes
	valid users = rbook mbook Robert Mandy
	public = yes

[E]
	comment = Extra
	path = /e
	#revalidate = Yes
	writeable = Yes
	valid users = rbook mbook Robert Mandy
	public = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   #browseable = no
   browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
0
rbook1 (9)
7/27/2003 6:44:17 PM
Andy wrote:

> [...]

Logons
 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   #browseable = no
   browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge really. Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ? On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote: > We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. > > We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache > web server. > > We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. > > The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't > see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can > ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get > nothing back. > > If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug > it into the network,...

SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders
I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus). What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that Linux can see the XP Shares? Here is my smb.conf file, #======================= Global Settings ===================================== [global] log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m cups options = raw netbios name = Nimitz server string = Nimitz Samba socket options = TCP_NODELAY workgroup = workgroup os level = 20 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers encrypt passwords = yes winbind trusted domains only = yes security = user passdb backend = tdbsam max log size = 50 General Schvantzkoph wrote: > I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and > CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM > sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes > (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other > and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared > folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network ...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

OT, Linux: bash can't see a file that's there, really!
Sorry for the OT post, but I figure I'll get a quicker, more useful response here. Brand new computer, Xubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 12.04 I just copied over my Codesourcery directory to /usr/share/arm-none-eabi (where it was on the old machine, and where everything worked fine). Bash insists it's not there, even though I can see it in a directory: Here's ls: $ ls -l /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/*gcc -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 270608 Aug 6 2014 /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/ arm-none-eabi-gcc Here's when I try to run it: $ /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

Windows must be Broken! It's can't be fixed! I need to use Linux!
OK I've tried to clean all the spyware on my windows computer. As you know, when I was trying to examin a strange file on my hard drive, I couldn't use command like "file" to tell me what it is. And the system doesn't have a command like find ~/ -type f -perm +1 -cmin -40 -printf '%p\t%m\n' -exec rm {} \; which would have deleted ALL the spyware files. I was forced to do something like this http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000888.html June 15, 2007 How to Clean Up a Windows Spyware Infestation I recently upgraded my dedicated racing simulation P...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

[News] Debian Runs Windows Programs Also (Windows Can't Run Linux Programs)

Why can't Linux see my NIC?
I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag during boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm on Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router. Any ideas? Thanks. Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote: > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. It would be a little easier if you know which NIC is that. Davide -- | Reporter (t...

Amazon's top selling laptop doesn't run Windows or Mac OS, it runs Linux #2
http://goo.gl/xRymh <quote> We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. </quote> -- Big Brother is watching ... so are we On 1/11/2013 3:24 AM, Robin T Cox wrote: > http://goo.gl/xRymh > > <quote> > We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can > blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can > blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is > Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, > in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? > It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. > </quote> "Microsoft Corp has sold 60 million licenses and upgrades for its new Windows 8 operating system in the 10 weeks since its launch..." The latest Windows 8 figure means Microsoft sold around 20 million Windows 8 licenses and upgrades since the end of November, when it announced 40 million sales in the first month on the market. That put...

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION�3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

Does IRS hate Linux? (Can't use forms in acroread in Linux)
(Note running Mepis 3.3, Firefox 1.0.1, Acroread 5.0.10 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120a.pdf Maybe its just my system, but when I go to the above official IRS PDF form for corporate taxes (1120), the form opens but I get errors saying it requires 5.1 or later than 5.0.5 of Acrobat. There is no 5.1 version for Linux but there is 5.0.10. I can fill it in but can ONLY print it a page at a time (fortunately its only 2 pages!). What's up with that? (But at least it prints!) I cannot save it with changes, because the IRS says... For users of Adobe Reader: beginning October 25, 2004 ...

Can't get sound from linux-mozilla + linux-realplayer 10
Hello all, I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF error about the OS. So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! Michael Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > Hello all, > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > had something to do with it) but, that did not work. It gave me an ELF > error about the OS. > > So, any idea on what I should try next? Please help! > > Michael OK, I found that it was artsd. When I killed, quite violently, artsd I got the sound. Does anyone know of a way I can use a wrapper or something so I do not have to kill the daemon every time. Michael "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> writes: > Michael J. Pelletier wrote: > > > Hello all, > > > > I just installed the linux-mozilla and linux-realpayer 10 ports. > > Everything works but the sound. I can see the video but, I can not hear > > anything. I use KDE so I tried using the artsdsp (thinking that maybe arts > > had something t...

Why Can't Linux Compete effectively against Windows?
Because it's unusable, user hostile Dung. And those who use it - dung eaters. On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 05:49:26 -0500, VistaEra wrote: > Because it's unusable, user hostile Dung. > > And those who use it - dung eaters. You're a dumb-ass lying troll.... -- Rick On Feb 7, 5:49 am, "VistaEra" <BushIsATrai...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Because it's retard proof, and impossible for me > to figure out. > I am a dung eaters. broken record. In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> wrote on 7 Feb 2007 03:40:05 -0800 <11708484...

[News] Windows Can't Just Do What Linux Does
Things I can easily do in Linux but can't in windows ,----[ Quote ] | This is a short sharp and shiny list of things that I can easily do in Linux | but find it hard or impossible to do in windows. | | * Connect more than four people across the internet to a graphical | interface at the same time. | * Tinker around with the source code. | * Compile my own Linux from scratch. | * Have as many or as little programs installed as I want. | * Change every aspect of the user interface to suit my needs. | * Never pay for any program. | * Use more of my memor...

My printers on WinXP, why can't Linux see it?
Yes, another problem networking with Windows! I have a printer on the Windows box and I can get the Windows box to see shares on the Linux box but I can't work out how to get the Linux box to see Windows. If I use "smbclient -L MAINPC" it doesn't list any shares but if i use "smbclient //MAINPC/SharedDocs" it gives me a "smb: \>" CLI. I can "ls" and list all the files on said share. I can even use "smbclient //MAINPC/deskjet -P" and get the same result but if I try and set up //MAINPC/deskjet as a SMB printer in printtool I can't get anything to print. If anyone could help me that would be really useful! Thanks David Lumm "David Lumm" <david.lumm@twinklebob.co.uk> wrote in message news:<bgg5c5$h8i$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>... > Yes, another problem networking with Windows! > I have a printer on the Windows box and I can get the Windows box to see > shares on the Linux box but I can't work out how to get the Linux box to see > Windows. > If I use "smbclient -L MAINPC" it doesn't list any shares but if i use > "smbclient //MAINPC/SharedDocs" it gives me a "smb: \>" CLI. I can "ls" and > list all the files on said share. I can even use "smbclient > //MAINPC/deskjet -P" and get the same result but if I try and set up > //MAINPC/deskjet as a SMB printer in printtool I can't get anything to > print. &g...

Can't input square bracket ']' on linux
Hi It seems that I'm unable to input the closing square bracket symbol (]), neither on the matlab command line nor in the m-file editor. I had a similar problem on Win2K with the closing curly bracket (}), which was solved by a fix published on mathworks.com: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/32432.shtml Apparently, it was a bug concerning only users with international (i.e. non-US) keyboards. I tried to apply the same fix, but it didn't work. Any ideas? My config: Matlab 6.5.1.199709 R13 (Service Pack 1) Linux: RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.20-28.9.1 Than...

Web resources about - Samba: Windows can't see Linux - comp.os.linux.networking