Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...

Guys:

This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to
leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I
have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot
with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other
computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all
computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I
thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on
day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one
Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with
Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my
Router with new Router, samething.

CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine.
But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K
PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router.

I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with
cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine.

Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address,
all are Unique MAC's.

Thanks in advance.

Santa wrote:
> Guys:
>
> This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to
> leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I
> have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot
> with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other
> computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all
> computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I
> thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on
> day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one
> Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with
> Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my
> Router with new Router, samething.
>
> CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine.
> But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K
> PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router.
>
> I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with
> cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine.
>
> Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address,
> all are Unique MAC's.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I think you'd first verify if you have conflicts in IP addresses.
0
rsacco (15)
11/26/2004 10:37:56 PM
I verified that, no conflict for IP address at all. I  can see in DHCP
table, Ip addresses versus MAC addresses. Also my gateway (Router) is
192.168.0.1, my laptop is 192.168.0.2, my XP PC was 192.168.0.3, when
I boot by Win2K/Linux PC,  either in Linux or Win2K, it is always
192.168.0.4. I plugged in new NIC card, then I configurte that, if I
plugin cabble in that then I got 192.168.0.5. All IP addresses are
unique as well as MAC's are Unique, but strange is, when I boot with
Win2K, all computers are out of Network (when my Win2K is booting, I
am running "ping www.yahoo.com" on all other computers, once Win2K
comesup, all pings says "request times out").

Thanks.
Santa wrote:

> I verified that, no conflict for IP address at all. I  can see in DHCP
> table, Ip addresses versus MAC addresses. Also my gateway (Router) is
> 192.168.0.1, my laptop is 192.168.0.2, my XP PC was 192.168.0.3, when
> I boot by Win2K/Linux PC,  either in Linux or Win2K, it is always
> 192.168.0.4. I plugged in new NIC card, then I configurte that, if I
> plugin cabble in that then I got 192.168.0.5. All IP addresses are
> unique as well as MAC's are Unique, but strange is, when I boot with
> Win2K, all computers are out of Network (when my Win2K is booting, I
> am running "ping www.yahoo.com" on all other computers, once Win2K
> comesup, all pings says "request times out").
>
> Thanks.
Have you checked on the win2K PC if there are any IRQ conflicts and the
drivers are loaded correctly...??
0
jsmiley (51)
11/27/2004 3:23:57 PM
Well I didn't check the IRQ conflicts, but if there is any IRQ
conflict, then I didn't see this problem with Linux at all. I have
Win2K and Linux (dual boot) on that machine, if I boot Linux, no
problem at all, I am on Network. AnywaY i will check whether any IRQ
conflict.
Santa wrote:

> Well I didn't check the IRQ conflicts, but if there is any IRQ
> conflict, then I didn't see this problem with Linux at all. I have
> Win2K and Linux (dual boot) on that machine, if I boot Linux, no
> problem at all, I am on Network. AnywaY i will check whether any IRQ
> conflict.

This is not a Linux problem at all, so I don't know why you posted in
comp.os.linux.networking. It sounds like you have a firewall on the
Win2k box that is blocking your lan.

Malke
--
"I have a cunning plan..."
0
Santa wrote:

> Well I didn't check the IRQ conflicts, but if there is any IRQ
> conflict, then I didn't see this problem with Linux at all. I have
> Win2K and Linux (dual boot) on that machine, if I boot Linux, no
> problem at all, I am on Network. AnywaY i will check whether any IRQ
> conflict.

That would show up in device manager.
Another question: which services have you enabled on the w2k machine - is it
a "w2k _server_ edition" by any chance and running a (2nd) dhcp server, or
announce weird things through UpnP (turn this off)?
�to�remove�offending�incompatible�products.��Reactivate�your�MS�software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]
How can I check whether firewall is enabled on my Win2K PC?.
santa19992000@yahoo.com (Santa) wrote in

> How can I check whether firewall is enabled on my Win2K PC?.

Try asking a Windoze froup not a Linux forum.
0
IANAL_Vista (516)
11/29/2004 2:09:09 AM
I verified, I can see Modem IRQ is same as Network adapter (IRQ 9),
but memory range is different. I don't know how to check whether it is
DHCP server?. I can see DHCP enabled in the properties. How can I
check "w2k _server_ edition", also how to turnoff UpnP?. I don't have
much knowledge in Windows. Please help me, apprecited for your help.
Santa wrote:

> How can I check whether firewall is enabled on my Win2K PC?.

Hook it up to the internet and see how long it takes to get infected.  If
infected quickly, there's no firewall.  If it takes at least 5 minutes, the
firewall is enabled.  ;-)

0
james.knott (739)
11/29/2004 3:25:21 AM
Santa wrote:

> I verified, I can see Modem IRQ is same as Network adapter (IRQ 9),

IRQ 9 is a common ACPI "place holder", you should not need to worry. But in
case you don't need the onboard ac97 modem, it's always a good idea to
deactivate it in your bios.

> but memory range is different. I don't know how to check whether it is
> DHCP server?. I can see DHCP enabled in the properties. How can I

Just post the output of "ipconfig /all" and "route print" from the win2k pc,
as well as from one of your XP boxen, when connected to the router.
You may also compare "ifconfig" and "route" outputs in linux with these
obtained from windows. Especially important is the "default gateway".

> check "w2k _server_ edition", also how to turnoff UpnP?. I don't have
> much knowledge in Windows. Please help me, apprecited for your help.

I guess you don't have the server, and dhcp enabled means "client".
Do you have something like zonealarm or norton firewall on the box? Can you
ping it from XP, or get anything else but "connection refused" when you try
to open a command prompt in XP and "telnet <ip_of_2k> 445 (or 139)?
�to�remove�offending�incompatible�products.��Reactivate�your�MS�software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

linux network problem
we have many RHEL 3 Update 9 servers who's bnx2 driver (v52d) STOPS sending packets and they pile up in the SEND QUEUE when viewing through 'netstat -a'. This problem happens randomly and we cannot consistently duplicate it. What could I do on the local box between the 2 'on board' NICS to force loads of data from one NIC to the other to try to duplicate this problem? ...

Problem with Ad-hoc wireless network Windows to Linux (no ping)
Hello All, Sorry for the verbosity of this post... I am trying to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between two computers; one runing Windows XP and the other Linux (2.6.x, Slackware). After I have set them up I cannot ping the Linux machine from the Windows machine. This is what I have done so far: * Made sure that the Wlan card is running on the Linux machine (it is; it's a RT61 based D-Link DWL-G510). It works fine when in "managed" mode (connecting to an access-point); I'm using the latest firmware/drivers I could find. * Made sure that the Wlan card is running on the Windows machine (it is; Intel something-something built into a Dell laptop). Then I try to set things up. ** On the Linux machine: $ modprobe rt61 (load module, card is recognized) $ iwconfig ra0 essid box (ra0 is my RT61, set SSID) $ iwconfig ra0 channel 11 (we are in Europe) $ iwconfig mode Ad-Hoc (this is what I want; no encryption) $ ifconfig eth0 down (just in case; remember ra0 is the WLan card) $ ifconfig ra0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up (interface comes up) $ ifconfig ra0 ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:5B:70:2D:D2 inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::219:5bff:fe70:2dd2/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:...

Problem with multyplayer and direct connections with a windows network and a linux gateway
For some reason it's impossible to make direct connections to other computers on the internet wich means that no multi-player games and other programs like that never work. On the other side, I can connect to servers. For example, if I ping to a computer that's not a server all the data that it's sending as response gets lost somewere at the Linux Gateway computer. How can I solve this? ...

CUPS problem? or network problem? or printer problem?
Trying to configure CUPS to print to an HP LaserJet 5si over the network. Here is the relevant error_log stuff: I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Job 14 queued on 'ptr' by 'wm'. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 12120) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1 2121) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (P ID 12122) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprint er (PID 1...

problem networking Linux and XP
I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using a crossover cable. I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP addresses. I have disabled the firewalls on both machines. The problem is: I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but no reply arrives back at the Centos machine. I would appreciate some help with this. On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom wrote: >> I would appreciate some help with this. get rid of XP? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to say: > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using > a crossover cable. > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP > addresses. > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines. > > The problem is: > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine. > > I would appreciate some help with this. Turn off the built-in XP firewalls. david wrote: > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to > say: > >> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using >> a crossover cable. >> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP >&...

Odd linux networking problem
Hi, I'm currently dealing with a very strange networking problem. I suspect it's the OS (Debian testing) on the client that is causing the problem, but as a matter of fact, I'm not absolutely sure. We're running a home network of about 10 PCs, which used to be connected with an 802.11b-network with a D-Link WLAN AP and DSL router (DL-713P). Now we're migrating from to a 802.11g AP (Linksys WAP54G) for the Wireless, which will eventually be connected to a Linux server, but currently is connected to one of the three ethernet ports on the D-Link router. Now, we've started to one by one switch the clients from the old 11 Mb AP to the new Linksys, which is working fine for all Windows clients. It also used to work with the aforementioned Debian machine, but somehow, it's not working any more. The symptoms are: - it connects to the AP just fine - it can connect to any other client on the network and vice versa - it can *not* connect to the D-Link router, neither ping nor anything else gets a connection - running "arp" takes very long, but eventually finds out all MACs - I don't really know what to make of what ethereal shows me; the router reacts immediately to ARP requests, but nothing else seems to come out of it. I'm totally clueless...any suggestions! Thanks Bela -- Bela Bauer - bela_b@gmx.net www.aitrob.de - www.drsl.de ...

problem with Linux box on network
I have a small home Ethernet network. One machine is running Slackware Linux 13.0, KDE 4.2.4 and KMail 1.11.4 and Firefox. The other runs Windows XP. My ISP is Time-Warner and I have a broadband connection to the Internet. Everything was working fine with the network, but suddenly email downloads from Time-Warner's Road Runner POP server started to get erratic. At first it seemed that rebooting helped, but now I can't download my email at all. I can usually ping the POP server, and I can always download my email from the Windows machine, so it appears there is nothing wrong on the server side. I can generally send email (although it appears to be a little slow, and sometimes a perfectly ordinary email gets stuck in the outbox). Coincidentally, Firefox on the Linux box is also behaving erratically. HTML processing get's stuck on "Waiting for xyz.com...". HTML requests do not time out at the server, but the page never comes. (Again, Firefox on the Windows machine works normally.) The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail (a KDE app) *and* Firefox makes me suspect there is a problem with the underlying TCP/IP plumbing on the Linux machine. Is there a buffer overflowing somewhere? A corrupted cache? Is there a log file I can look at? Thanks & Best Regards, Vwaju NYC On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:48:07 -0400, Vwaju <slack@rcn.com> wrote: > The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail (a KDE app) *and* > Firefox > makes...

weird linux networking problem
Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, and if so, if they have any idea what could be causing it. A number of our boxes are HP dx5150 running Red Hat 4.3 (kernel 2.6.9-42). The onboard NIC is Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit. Every now and then, these boxes lose contact with the network: we find that the central network switch (Cisco) has shut down the port, having apparently detected that the MAC address of the connected box has changed. Once the security on the port is reset, everything continues as normal. (The incorrect MAC address detected by the switch is always 08:00:45:00:FF:F8.) Obviously, this is now a fairly old version of Red Hat, and we've found that an upgrade to kernel 2.6.9-55 seems to solve the problem (we have application-related constraints limiting the kernels to which we can upgrade.) However, it would be really good to understand this problem. Any ideas? On Wed, 5 May 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article <f68557e2-f392-4638-821c-b547d39013cc@a34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, pduffy wrote: NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server. >A number of our boxes are HP dx5150 running Red Hat 4.3 (kernel >2.6.9-42). The onboard NIC is Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit. [compton ~]$ etherwhois BROADCOM 00-10-18 (hex) BROADCOM CORPORATION 001018 (base 16) BROADCOM CORPORATION ...

Linux
Hi all, I have quite unusual problem with my home network and i hope there is someone who knows the solution. there are 3 networked computers I run dual boot machine with winxp and slackware 9.1 linux, NIC is via-rhine running on default kernel driver, i think that version is 1.10, i have few services running like proftpd, httpd, samba, and they are accessible from the internet thanks to noip software. the problem is that im connected to the internet using internet connection sharing on winXP machine. when i use winxp on my comp everything works fine, but when i want to use linux (that would be probably most of the time) everything works fine for a while, sometimes its 3 hours sometimes 3 minutes, and then windows machine 'forgets' about my linux box. from that moment there is nothing i can do, i can't ping to that computer because it looks like its switched off. when i reboot it won't help, i can't see connection even in windows (network cable disconnected). the only thing that helps is disabling and enabling network connection on winXP machine sharing the internet. problem is that i have very limited access to that machine and it's real pain sometimes when i cant use internet for the rest of the day, just because i wanted to use linux for a while. i think i didnt have that problem before i upgraded slackware from 9.0 to 9.1, NICs in winxp are some kind of realtec cards, one of them built into the motherboard, but the problem is with both of them. i&#...

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOWTO: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html -- - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation - free; as in free speech and free beer remove '.eh' to email ...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all this work without breaking anything else on my windows workgroup? centos -> browse windows network centos -> surf www Windows Zonealarm Firewall enabled. ?? thanks,mike -- Return address is VALID! Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here: http://mike.liveline.de/sale.html On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 05:00:37 +0000, mike rearranged some electrons to say: > > Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't > connect to the web. Uh, that's not a bug. If you're using a fixed IP address insread of DHCP, you have to tell it everything it would normally get from the DHCP server, including the IP address of your favorite DNS server (which your router gets from your ISP). PS: If you're still trying to run Linux inside a Virtual PC under Windoze (as I believe you were claiming to do in another newsgroup, against the advice of several people) then y...

Network problems under 4 different Linuxes!
Hello, I have the following problem: In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) - Morphix HD Install - Mandrake 9.1 - Knoppix Under Windows XP there are no problems... Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? Thanks, Phillip Phil Perkins <PhillipPerkmann@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have the following problem: > In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under > - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) > - Morphix HD Install > - Mandrake 9.1 > - Knoppix > Under Windows XP there are no problems... > Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail > (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? > Thanks, > Phillip You didn't describe your problem very accurately, but you might wanna check out a recent posting with caption something like ADSL & pppoe connection problem. It also concerns a dual boot system and windows not shutting down components properly. To be short, try this: - Shut down the system. - Pull all the plugs (or use a physical power switch on the computer, no need to touch the modem, but try it anyways). - Restart directly to linux. - Try the connection. If this fixes it, see the posting for a fix and a reason. (Though it partially is still under slight dispute) Just a suggestion. Could be a million other things. What d...

strange networking problem with windows 98
I have 3 PCs hooked up to a hub, one is connecting to the internet via modem, another is hooked into the hub, with internet connection sharing activated. The third PC has the same setup as the second, except that I am unable to get it logged onto the network. I can view the files and the drives on that PC from the other PCs, but cannot acceess the internet or even get prompted to login to the network. I've changed network cards, formatted the drive, reinstalled, everything I can think of. Anyone ever see this before? www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm Carey "doug mccausland" <dmccausland@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:KvGIb.2893$6B.1539@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net... > I have 3 PCs hooked up to a hub, one is connecting to the internet via > modem, another is hooked into the hub, with internet connection sharing > activated. The third PC has the same setup as the second, except that I am > unable to get it logged onto the network. I can view the files and the > drives on that PC from the other PCs, but cannot acceess the internet or > even get prompted to login to the network. I've changed network cards, > formatted the drive, reinstalled, everything I can think of. Anyone ever > see this before? > > > Get a router and discard the hub and remove ICS. Routers are so cheap these days, why fool around with ICS and hubs. "doug mccausland" <dmccausland@earthlink.net> wrote in messa...

linux/Windows XP boot problem
Hi all, In short : ---------- How can I prevent Windows XP (or "HP recovery") to replace lilo in the MBR ? This is very probably more a Windows than a linux question. The gory details : ------------------ I have a new PC (HP Pavilion t390.fr) with Windows XP Home edition preinstalled (and no XP CDROM, of course, the beginning of the problems !). As I cannot reinstall the PC from scratch, starting with linux, and then Windows as I usually do, I had to shorten the big NTFS partition, and install linux on the free space obtained, with lilo as a boot loader (with lba32 option because the /boot partition is beyond the 1024 cylinders limit ...). No problem booting on linux. When booting on Windows, it very sees that the MBR has been touched and asks me either to reinstall the whole system or to "repair the system". No option to avoid doing at least one of these 2 choices (even if recovery desactivated in the system panel). The screen is in entitled "reinstallation systeme pour PC HP" (it's in french) and mentions a reference to SoftThinks and version 5.0.33. Both choices result in Windows rewriting on the MBR and replacing lilo without being asked (In fact, I don't even know is it is Windows or the HP recovery tools that seem to be installed alltogether !) Of course, I can boot linux from a floppy, but it is quite tedious since I'm nearly uniquely a linux user (I just keep Windows to maintain the PC war...

strange networking problem with windows 98
I have 3 PCs hooked up to a hub, one is connecting to the internet via modem, another is hooked into the hub, with internet connection sharing activated. The third PC has the same setup as the second, except that I am unable to get it logged onto the network. I can view the files and the drives on that PC from the other PCs, but cannot acceess the internet or even get prompted to login to the network. I've changed network cards, formatted the drive, reinstalled, everything I can think of. Anyone ever see this before? www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm Carey "doug mccausland&q...

Windows 2000 and strange networking problem...
I have seen this with at least two machines. One that I am not longer physical near to get info on or try this with. But here is the problem. I am on a windows 2000 domain controller for a test domain. If I bring up a command prompt and type in ping <anything string> it returns with the ip address 213.130.63.233. Something with no association with our network. Even for valid machines on the domain in question it returns this invalid ip address for the machine. I have checked the IP configuration, and all is correct. Does anyone have any idea what would make this happen...

User Mode Linux = Network Problem
Hi, I have problems to set up the network with user-mode-linux, I can't set up the eth0 interface under UML. The Host system is a Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.3, kernel 2.4.10 with tun/tap, netlink device emulation... For UML, root filesystem is Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.101, kernel 2.4.16 To configure the network, I have done : On the host : [root @host]# tunctl -u root Set 'tap0' persistent and owned by uid 0 [root @host]# ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 [root @host]# ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:97:8D:90:2F inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b) Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:560 (560.0 b) TX bytes:560 (560.0 b) tap0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:FF:6F:7B:09:DD inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP B...

Problem Converting Linux PC to Dual-Boot (XP, Linux)
I have a Fedora Core 2 Linux PC (Dell Optiplex GX60) that I need to convert to a Dual-Boot machine (WIndows XP, Fedora Core 6). I installed XP, wiping out the existing Linux, but when I go to partition the disk via Knoppix/qtparted, the Knoppix CD is not seen on boot, it goes right to WIndows every time. I suspect this is due to the fact that there was a pre-existing Linux install. So: what needs to be done here so I can run qtparted from Knoppix, partition the disk, install FC6 on the back half the disk and get this done? Thanks, -Richard Vaughn On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:16:18 -0000, Richa...

Ping Problems On Two-Machine Linux Network
Hi. I wonder whether anyone out there can help me. I'm new to networking, and have set up my first simple network by connecting two P100 linux boxes with an RJ-45 crossover cable. The first of these machines, 'methuselah', is installed with a D-Link DE-220PCT jumperless NE2000-type card, and is running Slackware 9. The second, 'blockhead', is installed with an unidentified ISA RTL8019-based jumpered card, and is running Redhat 6.1. Both machines' LEDs come on when I plug in the crossover cable, and flickering on one end causes flickering at the other, but I can't ping properly between them. There seems to be a problem with blockhead - the RTL8019-based card seems unable to receive (and also seems to transmit in periodic bursts). I've disabled PnP in the BIOS on both machines, and have set the appropriate IRQ channels to Legacy ISA. I've also set the IO & IRQ jumpers on the RTL8019 card to the correct settings, using a document (8019AS.pdf) I found on the RealTek website, but I didn't know what settings to use for the BROM jumpers, so I've left them unjumpered. Anyway, I include below the data from both machines (first before pinging, and then during pinging, both from blockhead to methuselah, and from methuselah to blockhead). If there's any further information I could provide that would be useful, please ask! I'd be very grateful for any help, as I've run out of ideas! Thanks, Paul. ********************...

Networking problem MacOS8.6-Suse Linux
Hi guys I really need an advice since I am getting crazy with all networking stuff.. I want to bild up a little home networking from my Suse Linux PC and My PowerBook G3 Mac OS 8.6. The PC is the server has an eth0 card connected via cross over cable to the mac and a dsl1 card connected to internet. I have installed Netatalk in the PC and everything works fine (at least the hardware), I can see the PC hard drive on my mac. I use mac ping and I can ping the PC ONLY if the Netatalk is running. The problem is: I can`t ping the eth0 card if I enter eth0 IP adrs 192.168.99.1. I think that Aplle talk is working but not the TCP/IP. What do I need to configure my mac? MacTCP/IP is enough or I need something else?. I never had problems when I connected in the office my mac to a LAN: Paolo Here is the route and ifconfig of the linux machine: bigdell:/home/paolo # ifconfig dsl1 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol inet addr:84.150.14.164 P-t-P:217.0.116.84 Mask:255.255.255.255 UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1 RX packets:657 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:732 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 RX bytes:484827 (473.4 Kb) TX bytes:108824 (106.2 Kb) eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:AD:78:5A:29 inet addr:192.168.99.1 Bcast:192.168.99.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::280:adff:fe78:5a29/64 Scope:Link UP...

Strange problem with puppy linux on Windows 98se
Strange problem with puppy Linux on Windows 98se I have a old Compaq ep desktop pro. Here what it does in puppy. When I either click on the puppy computer power off button or issue the power off command from a terminal. The computer only shutdowns partially. It turns off the power supply fan only. (Note this computer has a huge heat sink, instead of a CPU fan with a heat sink). I already have a windows 98se custom boot menu. Any fix for that? If not. How can a disable the power off button and power off command. I still want to keep the restart button and the reboot command. Thank Y...

Linux, Windows Dual boot problem with GRUB
Hi: I am very new to Linux and onlys installed it 3 days back after years of procastrination...and doing with Windows....The installation went ok......but when I pick to boot windows on GRUB, the system habgs with the following text on the screen...... root (hd0,0) makeactive chainloadre+1 On reading, I understand that the /etc/fstab file should contain my windows partition entry and it's details.....IT DOESN"T..... Right now my fstab reads like this /dev/hda3 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1 /dev/hda2 /boot reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2 /dev/hda4 swap swap pri=42 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0 /dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0 PLEASE ADVISE/HELP On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kunal wrote: > root (hd0,0) > makeactive > chainloadre+1 One of the silly things about GRUB is that it starts numbering partitions with number 0, rather than number 1 like fdisk does. > On reading, I understand that the /etc/fstab file should contain my > windows partition entry and it's details.....IT DOESN"T...

Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k
Hi I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K computer in order to learn better about Linux. My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the screen. I have tried accessing my server using the following methods: 1. Cygwin environment using SSH 2. telnet from cmd.exe If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the following after NAME: bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I get the following: bash �^' GNU Bourne�??Again SHell If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the following: bash ?�� GNU Bourne?��Again SHell And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in between. I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some escape sequence character. My question is the following. 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output, including what type of escape character they are using when somebody connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0 2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to properly interpret such an input? 3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to properly interpret sush an input? thanks, I apreciate whatever help ...

Linux Network build, kickstart file problems.
I have setup a Linux network server, NFS enabled and a client server, PXE enabled. The PXE, client server boots and loads the boot loader from the network server but I cannot get the client server to recognize or execute the kickstart file from the network server. I am trying to install Linux to a client over the network via a kickstart file. Anybody got suggestions? In comp.os.linux.setup ss-sandsideoaks <joepgjm@netzero.com>: > I have setup a Linux network server, NFS enabled and a client server, > PXE enabled. The PXE, client server boots and loads the boot loader > from the network server but I cannot get the client server to recognize > or execute the kickstart file from the network server. I am trying to > install Linux to a client over the network via a kickstart file. > Anybody got suggestions? I'd strongly suggest using http for downloading your ks config and performing the installation. Http is more robust/faster then using NFS for this task. Good luck -- Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94) mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/' #bofh excuse 17: fat electrons in the lines ...

Web resources about - Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down... - comp.os.linux.networking