User Mode Linux = Network Problem

Hi,

I have problems to set up the network with user-mode-linux, I can't
set up the eth0 interface under
UML.
The Host system is a Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.3, kernel 2.4.10
with tun/tap, netlink device
emulation...
For UML, root filesystem is Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.101,
kernel 2.4.16

To configure the network, I have done :

On the host :

[root @host]# tunctl -u root
Set 'tap0' persistent and owned by uid 0

[root @host]# ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255

[root @host]# ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:8D:90:2F
          inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:560 (560.0 b)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 b)

tap0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:FF:6F:7B:09:DD
          inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Well it works !

To configure the interfaces (routing)

[root @host]# bash -c 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'
[root @host]# route add -host 192.168.1.101 dev tap0
[root @host]# bash -c 'echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp'
[root @host]# arp -Ds 192.168.1.101 eth0 pub

I check the permissions for uml_net and /dev/net/tun

[root @host]# ls -l /dev/net/tun /usr/lib/uml/uml_net

crw-rw----    1 root     root      10, 200 Oct  7 12:34 /dev/net/tun
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     uml-net     18072 Apr 26  2002
/usr/lib/uml/uml_net

Everything is good

I launch UML :

[root @host]# linux ubd0=/uml/root_fs ubd1=/uml/swap_fs umid=root
eth0=tuntap,tap0 con=null con0=fd:0,fd:1 root=/dev/ubd0

Calibrating delay loop... 5.95 BogoMIPS

tracing thread pid = 2399
Linux version 2.4.16-1um (root@muetdhiver) (gcc version 2.95.4
20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Tue Feb 19 11:25:56 CET 2013
On node 0 totalpages: 8192
zone(0): 0 pages.
zone(1): 8192 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Kernel command line: ubd0=/uml/root_fs ubd1=/uml/swap_fs umid=root
eth0=tuntap,tap0 con=null con0=fd:0,fd:1 root=/dev/ubd0
Calibrating delay loop... 5.95 BogoMIPS
Memory: 32244k available
Dentry-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Buffer-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Starting kswapd
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
devfs: v0.120 (20011103) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot_options: 0x1
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
block: 64 slots per queue, batch=16
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
Netdevice 0 : TUN/TAP backend -
SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY (dynamic channels, max=256).
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
Universal TUN/TAP device driver 1.4 (C)1999-2001 Maxim Krasnyansky
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Initializing stdio console driver
Initializing software serial port version 1
mconsole initialized on /tmp/uml/root/mconsole
Mapper v0.1
devfs: devfs_do_symlink(mmapper): entry already exists
Mounted devfs on /dev
INIT: version 2.84 booting
Activating swap.
Checking root file system...
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
/dev/ubd/0: clean, 11122/25896 files, 51827/103424 blocks
Calculating module dependencies... depmod: Can't open
/lib/modules/2.4.16-1um/modules.dep for writing
done.
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.16-1um/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
Checking all file systems...
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Setting kernel variables.
Mounting local filesystems...
nothing was mounted
Running 0dns-down to make sure resolv.conf is ok...done.
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces: done.
Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run.
Initializing random number generator... done.
Recovering nvi editor sessions... done.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
parse_chan couldn't parse "null"
parse_chan couldn't parse "null"
Serial line 0 assigned device '/dev/ptyp0'

Everything is good but when I want to configure my eth0 :

[root @uml]# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101 up

tuntap_open_tramp : didn't receive a message
Exec of 'uml_net' failed - errno = 2
tuntap_open_tramp failed - errno = 22
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid Argument
tuntap_open_tramp : didn't receive a message
Exec of 'uml_net' failed - errno = 2
tuntap_open_tramp failed - errno = 22
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid Argument

It failed, what's going wrong, what can I do ?

Thank you !
0
wfargo (1)

William Fargo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problems to set up the network with user-mode-linux, I can't
> set up the eth0 interface under
> UML.
> The Host system is a Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.3, kernel 2.4.10
> with tun/tap, netlink device
> emulation...
> For UML, root filesystem is Debian 3.0, ip adress 192.168.1.101,
> kernel 2.4.16
>
> To configure the network, I have done :
>
> On the host :
>
> [root @host]# tunctl -u root
> Set 'tap0' persistent and owned by uid 0
>
> [root @host]# ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
> broadcast 192.168.1.255

<much snippage>

> Everything is good but when I want to configure my eth0 :
>
> [root @uml]# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.101 up
>
> tuntap_open_tramp : didn't receive a message
> Exec of 'uml_net' failed - errno = 2
> tuntap_open_tramp failed - errno = 22
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid Argument
> tuntap_open_tramp : didn't receive a message
> Exec of 'uml_net' failed - errno = 2
> tuntap_open_tramp failed - errno = 22
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid Argument
>

> It failed, what's going wrong, what can I do ?
>
> Thank you !

I had the same problem. Check the permissions on tunctl. You may want to
make it (tunctl) SUID (possibly a security issue there). AFAIK, you need to
be root to set the tunnels up.

--
Donovan Hill
0

Users left out in cold as hundreds of network problems plague linux
Users left out in cold as hundreds of network problems plague linux http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=418935 Please help with my wireless problem -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a 2wire usb adapter 802.11g and I just installed the final release of feisty fawn. But it does not recognize my usb adapter. Here is more information on my usb adapter It works fine in Windows XP. But nothing in Feisty Fawn. I tried installing ndiswrapper then it tells me I need ndiswrapper common. Hopefully somebody can help and put me in the right ...

Any Documentaion about How Linux Networking IP stack looklike between Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces (LAN and WAN)?
Any Documenttaion about How Linux IP Networking stack looklike bwteen Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces running on Linux (LAN and WAN)?. appreciated for links or some documentation. Thanks. ...

Free Download Ebook for linux networking guide | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html
i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download it for free http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html Tony Andreas wrote: > i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download > it for free > http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > Tony Andreas wrote: >> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >> it for free >> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html > > i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: > http://www.mybook.000webhost.info/Linux%20Network%20Admin%20Guide.pdf What link is that? i.e. which one on the Home Page? There are over 30 of them. mybook.000webhost.info resolves to 64.235.54.104 The link you gave opens KPDF for me - I didn't look at its contents. Doug. Doug Laidlaw wrote: > goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be"> wrote: > >> Tony Andreas wrote: >>> i have linux networking guide, their format is pdf, you can download >>> it for free >>> http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/linux-network-admin-guide.html >> i have problems resolving the domain name of this link: >>...

linux network problem
we have many RHEL 3 Update 9 servers who's bnx2 driver (v52d) STOPS sending packets and they pile up in the SEND QUEUE when viewing through 'netstat -a'. This problem happens randomly and we cannot consistently duplicate it. What could I do on the local box between the 2 'on board' NICS to force loads of data from one NIC to the other to try to duplicate this problem? ...

I want to study linux network but I have not a network
HI, I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me to study it on this only one PC? Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within my PC? Any help appreciated! Chen On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:06:40 +0800, Chen Bin wrote: > HI, > > I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux > network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me > to study it on this only one PC? > > Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within > my PC? You can use Vmware (www.vmware.com), but it's quite expensive. The workstation edition costs $189. But you can get a 30 day fully functioning trial version. -- Rolf Arne Schulze Trans-atlantic weightloss challenge: http://tawlc.net/ Personal weblog: http://roffe.ronningveien.net/ In comp.os.linux.networking Chen Bin <binch@mobilesoft.com.cn>: > HI, > I am using debian 3.0 as my linux PC and I want to study the linux > network administartion. When I only have one pc, is it possible for me > to study it on this only one PC? > Is any emulation that can be done to construct a virtual network within > my PC? You can do almost anything just over loop-back, like "ssh localhost" no need for any emulation, you already have one. -- Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94) mail: echo zvpunry@urvz...

Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...
Guys: This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machine, then I booted with Windows, same problem. No problem on Linux side, then I changed my Router with new Router, samething. CAN SOME EXPERT SUGGEST ME, WHAT IS HAPPENING with my Win2K machine. But if I bypass Router and connect directly from DSL modem to my Win2K PC, then it is working. Why win2K pc is not working with Router. I have two more XP machines connected top 4-port switch (one is with cable and other one is with 802.11), they are working fine. Can somebody suggest me, how can I fix this. I verified MAC address, all are Unique MAC's. Thanks in advance. Santa wrote: > Guys: > > This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to > leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I > have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot > with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other...

problem networking Linux and XP
I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using a crossover cable. I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP addresses. I have disabled the firewalls on both machines. The problem is: I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but no reply arrives back at the Centos machine. I would appreciate some help with this. On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom wrote: >> I would appreciate some help with this. get rid of XP? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to say: > I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using > a crossover cable. > I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP > addresses. > I have disabled the firewalls on both machines. > > The problem is: > I can ping the Centos machine from the XP machine. However, when I try > to ping XP from Centos, the ping request arrives at the XP machine but > no reply arrives back at the Centos machine. > > I would appreciate some help with this. Turn off the built-in XP firewalls. david wrote: > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:01:49 -0700, esrom rearranged some electrons to > say: > >> I have Centos and XP installed on separate machines and connected using >> a crossover cable. >> I configured the network cards of both machines with static IP >&...

weird linux networking problem
Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, and if so, if they have any idea what could be causing it. A number of our boxes are HP dx5150 running Red Hat 4.3 (kernel 2.6.9-42). The onboard NIC is Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit. Every now and then, these boxes lose contact with the network: we find that the central network switch (Cisco) has shut down the port, having apparently detected that the MAC address of the connected box has changed. Once the security on the port is reset, everything continues as normal. (The incorrect MAC address detected by the switch is always 08:00:45:00:FF:F8.) Obviously, this is now a fairly old version of Red Hat, and we've found that an upgrade to kernel 2.6.9-55 seems to solve the problem (we have application-related constraints limiting the kernels to which we can upgrade.) However, it would be really good to understand this problem. Any ideas? On Wed, 5 May 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article <f68557e2-f392-4638-821c-b547d39013cc@a34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, pduffy wrote: NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server. >A number of our boxes are HP dx5150 running Red Hat 4.3 (kernel >2.6.9-42). The onboard NIC is Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit. [compton ~]$ etherwhois BROADCOM 00-10-18 (hex) BROADCOM CORPORATION 001018 (base 16) BROADCOM CORPORATION ...

Odd linux networking problem
Hi, I'm currently dealing with a very strange networking problem. I suspect it's the OS (Debian testing) on the client that is causing the problem, but as a matter of fact, I'm not absolutely sure. We're running a home network of about 10 PCs, which used to be connected with an 802.11b-network with a D-Link WLAN AP and DSL router (DL-713P). Now we're migrating from to a 802.11g AP (Linksys WAP54G) for the Wireless, which will eventually be connected to a Linux server, but currently is connected to one of the three ethernet ports on the D-Link router. Now, we've started to one by one switch the clients from the old 11 Mb AP to the new Linksys, which is working fine for all Windows clients. It also used to work with the aforementioned Debian machine, but somehow, it's not working any more. The symptoms are: - it connects to the AP just fine - it can connect to any other client on the network and vice versa - it can *not* connect to the D-Link router, neither ping nor anything else gets a connection - running "arp" takes very long, but eventually finds out all MACs - I don't really know what to make of what ethereal shows me; the router reacts immediately to ARP requests, but nothing else seems to come out of it. I'm totally clueless...any suggestions! Thanks Bela -- Bela Bauer - bela_b@gmx.net www.aitrob.de - www.drsl.de ...

Linux
Hi all, I have quite unusual problem with my home network and i hope there is someone who knows the solution. there are 3 networked computers I run dual boot machine with winxp and slackware 9.1 linux, NIC is via-rhine running on default kernel driver, i think that version is 1.10, i have few services running like proftpd, httpd, samba, and they are accessible from the internet thanks to noip software. the problem is that im connected to the internet using internet connection sharing on winXP machine. when i use winxp on my comp everything works fine, but when i want to use linux (that would be probably most of the time) everything works fine for a while, sometimes its 3 hours sometimes 3 minutes, and then windows machine 'forgets' about my linux box. from that moment there is nothing i can do, i can't ping to that computer because it looks like its switched off. when i reboot it won't help, i can't see connection even in windows (network cable disconnected). the only thing that helps is disabling and enabling network connection on winXP machine sharing the internet. problem is that i have very limited access to that machine and it's real pain sometimes when i cant use internet for the rest of the day, just because i wanted to use linux for a while. i think i didnt have that problem before i upgraded slackware from 9.0 to 9.1, NICs in winxp are some kind of realtec cards, one of them built into the motherboard, but the problem is with both of them. i&#...

problem with Linux box on network
I have a small home Ethernet network. One machine is running Slackware Linux 13.0, KDE 4.2.4 and KMail 1.11.4 and Firefox. The other runs Windows XP. My ISP is Time-Warner and I have a broadband connection to the Internet. Everything was working fine with the network, but suddenly email downloads from Time-Warner's Road Runner POP server started to get erratic. At first it seemed that rebooting helped, but now I can't download my email at all. I can usually ping the POP server, and I can always download my email from the Windows machine, so it appears there is nothing wrong on the server side. I can generally send email (although it appears to be a little slow, and sometimes a perfectly ordinary email gets stuck in the outbox). Coincidentally, Firefox on the Linux box is also behaving erratically. HTML processing get's stuck on "Waiting for xyz.com...". HTML requests do not time out at the server, but the page never comes. (Again, Firefox on the Windows machine works normally.) The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail (a KDE app) *and* Firefox makes me suspect there is a problem with the underlying TCP/IP plumbing on the Linux machine. Is there a buffer overflowing somewhere? A corrupted cache? Is there a log file I can look at? Thanks & Best Regards, Vwaju NYC On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:48:07 -0400, Vwaju <slack@rcn.com> wrote: > The fact that I have problems with *both* KMail (a KDE app) *and* > Firefox > makes...

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOWTO: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html -- - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation - free; as in free speech and free beer remove '.eh' to email ...

[News] [Linux] Linux the Platform of Choice for Network Processor
Dual-core network processors sample with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux | 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, | make files, and a VoIP-enabled PBX application. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3501901164.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Dual-core network processors sample with Linux > > ,----[ Quote ] >| The OpenWRT BSP includes the open U-Boot bootloader, a Linux >| 2.6-series kernel, filesystem, drivers, web-based configuration system, >...

Linux 2.6.20.1 and User Mode Linux
This is beginning to bug me -- or maybe I (and for that matter Gentoo!) am missing something? Stock 2.6.20 kernel, patched to 2.6.20.1, on a Gentoo i386 system, gcc 3.4.6, ntpl. # make menuconfig ARCH=um [no changes to settings, save and exit] # make linux ARCH=um HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/um/Kconfig SYMLINK arch/um/include/kern_constants.h SYMLINK include/asm-um/arch SYMLINK arch/um/include/sysdep SYMLINK arch/um/os SYMLINK include/asm-um/archparam.h SYMLINK include/asm-um/system.h SYMLINK include/asm-um/sigcontext.h SYMLIN...

My Linux is not your Linux

Linux Network
Hi, I just upgraded my motherboard. It was a bitch finding information that would get me past the kernel panics. Anyhow, that is solved. Problem now is that I cannot access the internet and cannot ping that machine, even on my internal network. Why? It is assigned eth0. I commented it out in modprobe.conf (not sure why, thought that may be an issue.) When the system boots, it detects eth0 fine as it displays and OK...... Any ideas? I'm a bit stuck right now....... Thanks! On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:53:29 -0800 (PST), art@unsu.com wrote: > > Hi, Hello You might want to read ...

Networking Under Linux
Hi, i am new to Linux, but have been running windows machines for years now. I have two boxes running dual boot systems, Windows XP/Suse Linux 9.1 Both boxes are connected via ethernet to a Zyxel 643 router complete with ADSL modem. Both can see the ,net and have no trouble browsing,emailing etc. I have setup Samba so the windows shares are available, but how do I go about setting up NFS/NIS to share part of my system to the other machine i.e. file sharing. I want to use this directory as a network archive. Regards Bob Moore On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:31:21 +0100, bobmoore wrote: > Hi, i am new to Linux, but have been running windows machines for years > now. I have two boxes running dual boot systems, Windows XP/Suse Linux 9.1 > Both boxes are connected via ethernet to a Zyxel 643 router complete with > ADSL modem. > > Both can see the ,net and have no trouble browsing,emailing etc. > I have setup Samba so the windows shares are available, but how do I go > about setting up NFS/NIS to share part of my system to the other machine > i.e. file sharing. I want to use this directory as a network archive. > The following is probably a good place to start for nfs... http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ For NIS, try : http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/ or http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html The second link is geared towards FreeBSD, but is still general enough that it's been a great help for me. --...

Why linux is linux

LINUX networking
hi guys, I am very new to LINUX. I have multiple win 2000 machine at my work networking with each other, now I installed Redhat9 linux in one of my machine in the network and make it work with my network domain and what not. I can see internet from my linux, My ping, ifconfig everything works fine, but I dont know how to access other computers from mine. Can someone help me out here? And i know this qn does not belong to this group, but can someone help me to install USB stuf in my linuc, I want my linux to see my usb harddrive and memory sticks? thanks a lot for your time. Try opening a file browser window and, in the location, type "smb://my_host" or something similar. For your USB stuff, plug it in and if it doesn't automagically mount try right-clicking on the desktop and see if it shows up in the "disks" subdirectory. Ramesh wrote: > hi guys, > > I am very new to LINUX. I have multiple win 2000 machine at my work > networking with each other, now I installed Redhat9 linux in one of my > machine in the network and make it work with my network domain and what > not. I can see internet from my linux, My ping, ifconfig everything > works fine, but I dont know how to access other computers from mine. > Can someone help me out here? > > And i know this qn does not belong to this group, but can someone help > me to install USB stuf in my linuc, I want my linux to see my usb > harddrive and memory sticks? > ...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Proper routes for linux machine with two network ports to same network
Hi, I run a Fedora Core 4 system with two network devices eth0 (assigned 10.10.10.30) and eth1 (assigned 10.10.10.31). The local network is 10.10.10.0, the gateway is 10.10.10.1 # route Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.10.10.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 10.10.10.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 default 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1 default 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 Although rules to 10.10.10.0 exists for both eth interfaces, It seems that traffic going to the local network at 10.10.10.* goes thru eth0 if no interface specified. If I pull out the network cable at eth0, ping 10.10.10.100 -> Destination Host Unreachable ping 10.10.10.100 -I eth0 -> Destination Host Unreachable ping 10.10.10.100 -I eth1 -> Works fine! Similar problems exist for the internet outgoing connections with the default and 10.10.10.1 gateway routes. How do I add the routes properly so that the machine will look at which interface is working or sort of, and choose the correct route? Thanks for any pointers. fuzzybr80@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I run a Fedora Core 4 system with two network devices eth0 (assi...

Network problems under 4 different Linuxes!
Hello, I have the following problem: In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) - Morphix HD Install - Mandrake 9.1 - Knoppix Under Windows XP there are no problems... Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? Thanks, Phillip Phil Perkins <PhillipPerkmann@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have the following problem: > In the last couple of days, I have had no network connection under > - Morphix live-CD (M. is a debian-base small distribution) > - Morphix HD Install > - Mandrake 9.1 > - Knoppix > Under Windows XP there are no problems... > Linux detects my network cards, but DHCP seems to fail > (I have a cable modem). Any hints anyone? > Thanks, > Phillip You didn't describe your problem very accurately, but you might wanna check out a recent posting with caption something like ADSL & pppoe connection problem. It also concerns a dual boot system and windows not shutting down components properly. To be short, try this: - Shut down the system. - Pull all the plugs (or use a physical power switch on the computer, no need to touch the modem, but try it anyways). - Restart directly to linux. - Try the connection. If this fixes it, see the posting for a fix and a reason. (Though it partially is still under slight dispute) Just a suggestion. Could be a million other things. What d...

[News] [Linux] Company Offers Specialised Linux Networking Stack
Linux networking stack scales to 64 virtual MIPS64 cores ,----[ Quote ] | 6WindGate says its commercial Linux networking stack supports | a Continuous Computing (CCPU) ATCA board powered by 16 | MIPS64-compatible cores. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2103965321.html Related: Development Kit Simplifies Design of Linux Based Device Networking Products ,----[ Quote ] | Oxford Semiconductor has introduced a software development kit for | its OXETHU954 network connectivity controller chip aiming to | dramatically simplify the design of Linux based device | networking products. `----...

[News] Social Networking Site Proud of Linux; Linux Stereotypes Discussed
Social networking gets a Ringside seat ,----[ Quote ] | Bickel says he chose an open source business model and built Ringside with a | LAMP stack and all open source tools as a way to "give back" to a community | he has grown to love while involved in business strategy and implementation | at JBoss and Bluestone Software. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/132248 Is Linux Really Outgrowing Its Stereotypes? Does It Matter? ,----[ Quote ] | Having said that, the question I here far more often from non-technical | people is “What’s Linux?” Outside technical circles a lot of ...

Web resources about - User Mode Linux = Network Problem - comp.os.linux.networking

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

Cisco targets in-building network convergence
Computerworld Australia Cisco targets in-building network convergence Computerworld Australia Cisco ANZ's recently appointed IoT Solutions ...

'Miracle kid' impaled on stick in quad bike crash saved by mobile phone network quirk
Young surfer Solomon Lee was impaled on a stick on a lonely beach. He narrowly cheated death thanks to random access to mobile phone reception. ...

Victoria declared brunch capital of Canada by Food Network
The competition is toast, and they have egg on their face, because the Food Network has declared Victoria to be the brunch capital of Canada. ...

Victoria Declared Brunch Capital Of Canada By Food Network 0
... to choose from. Victoria's brunch spots have been bringing home the bacon (and eggs) in a major way for some time now, and the Food Network ...

SoftBank - Anime News Network Anime News Network
Columns (incl. Anime News Nina! , ANNtv , ANNCast , Answerman , Astro Toy , Brain Diving , Buried Treasure , Chicks On Anime , Crashing Japan ...

With cord cutting on the rise, TV networks have no choice but to be more like Netflix
If you can't beat them, join them. That appears to be the mentality of many U.S. TV networks as more and more cable subscribers choose to cut ...

Meet the virtual reality ad network
... are jumping into VR — who wants to be served with ads when they're fully immersed in a virtual world? Late last year, mobile ad network Airpush ...

IDG Contributor Network: Retail's gift card crackdown self-defeating
For many years, gift cards have been ultra-popular for both shoppers and thieves. As mobile domination has soared, the convenience of gift cards ...