Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.

We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream.

We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache
web server.

We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines.

The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't
see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can
ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get
nothing back.

If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug
it into the network, all works OK.

At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy
server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge
really.

Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from
the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ?
0
pgrebby (9)

On 8 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X <pgrebby@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream.
>
> We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache
> web server.
>
> We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines.
>
> The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't
> see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can
> ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get
> nothing back.
>
> If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug
> it into the network, all works OK.
>
> At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy
> server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge
> really.
>
> Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from
> the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ?

I don't know what a kilostream is so I have no clue how you are routing
from B to A (through internet or VPN?).  But Windows sometimes does some
funky routing, so it may be a routing issue.

Yesterday I was totally reinstalling Win98se on my boss' personal PC that
he was giving to his daughter.  And from our company LAN, I had trouble
accessing www.adobe.com to install Acrobat reader.  I noticed that adobe
had a 192... IP, and that for some reason Win98 had a local route for
192.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 (that explains it).  I refreshed its DHCP IP and it
ended up with corrected 255.255.255.0 for its 192.168.x.0 network, and
then I was able to access www.adobe.com.

So run "route print" (or is it "route /print"?) on the Win boxes to see if
they have any strange routing or conflicts that may explain why B Win PCs
cannot reach server on net A.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
0

Have you tried running tcpdump on the webserver to see if connections are
actually hitting the webserver? You mentioned it can ping but cant telnet
to port 80. From that it sounds as if routing is working. Do you have any
firewalls?

Like i mentioned, i think the best place to start would be to see if
tcpdump shows packets coming in to the webserver.

Hope that helps
Yas

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:01:23 -0700, Agent X wrote:

> We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream.
>
> We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache
> web server.
>
> We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines.
>
> The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't
> see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can
> ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get
> nothing back.
>
> If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug
> it into the network, all works OK.
>
> At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in location B as a proxy
> server for the Windows machines in location A, but this is a bodge
> really.
>
> Any idea why the WIndows machiens in location B can't see pages from
> the apache server in A, whilst Linux machines in B can see A ?

0
yasser (9)
7/9/2004 3:07:33 PM
I don't think it can be routing, as you can ping OK. Also the Windows
PC's have fixed IPs, though they do use WINS, whatever that is, and
don't use DNS (cos our techies don't even know what DNS is.........)

Ta, I'll check the routing. A kilostream is a 256 or 512K private
leased line between two locations, i.e. no internet or VPN involved.
0
pgrebby (9)
7/9/2004 5:23:00 PM
please let us know what ip addressing scheme are you using for
location A and B? might be the cause that iptables has been configured
to provide access to location A.

try running ethereal to see the diagnosis messages.

raqueeb hassan
congo (drc)
0
wideangle (197)
7/10/2004 3:02:03 PM
> to port 80. From that it sounds as if routing is working. Do you have any
> firewalls?

No firewalls. To me the mystery is why can the Linux box on location B
see everything on the Linux box in location A fine, whilst the windows
boxes can really do nothing more than ping.

> Like i mentioned, i think the best place to start would be to see if
> tcpdump shows packets coming in to the webserver.

I've had a cursory look at tcpdump but have been been blinded by the
number of parameters on the command. What parameters do I need to pass
to it to filter only on a particular incoming IP address, and what can
I tell from the result sof the command ?

Thanks for your help.
0
pgrebby (9)
7/10/2004 5:22:24 PM
Agent X wrote:

>> to port 80. From that it sounds as if routing is working. Do you have any
>> firewalls?
>
> No firewalls. To me the mystery is why can the Linux box on location B
> see everything on the Linux box in location A fine, whilst the windows
> boxes can really do nothing more than ping.
>
>> Like i mentioned, i think the best place to start would be to see if
>> tcpdump shows packets coming in to the webserver.
>
> I've had a cursory look at tcpdump but have been been blinded by the
> number of parameters on the command. What parameters do I need to pass
> to it to filter only on a particular incoming IP address, and what can
> I tell from the result sof the command ?
>
> Thanks for your help.
The command line string should be tcpdump host 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and
192.xxx.xxx.xxx

0
jsmiley (51)
7/10/2004 8:14:29 PM
> please let us know what ip addressing scheme are you using for
> location A and B? might be the cause that iptables has been configured
> to provide access to location A.

It can't be an iptables thing, because:

a) its turned off
b) if you move a laptop from location B to A it works fine.

> try running ethereal to see the diagnosis messages.

I'll try that too thanks.
0
pgrebby (9)
7/11/2004 11:02:56 AM
> The command line string should be tcpdump host 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and
> 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

ta, will try that tomorrow
0
pgrebby (9)
7/11/2004 11:04:34 AM
> > The command line string should be tcpdump host 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and
> > 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

OK tried that, and saw a nice lot of output when my PC telneted or
pinged the Linux box.

Now, bizarrely, the windows box in location B showed no output when
either pinging (which worked) or telnetting (which worked) or
telnetting to the apache server on port 80 (which didn't work).

Weird.
0
pgrebby (9)

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

Why can't the rest of my network see my Linux box's hostname?
Hi all, Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ - I couldn't find an FAQ list. I would appreciate some help/advice about getting my network right. I have a small business network with Macs (running Mac OS X) and a variety of Windows PCs. This network is connected to a Netgear DG834 ADSL router and thence to my ISP. I have added a new Linux box to this network today, running Fedora Core 2. When I look at the list of attached devices in the Netgear console it sees the Linux box as hostname marple and ip address 192.168.0.6. The hostname setting on the box is marple. However when I...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

Samba: Windows can't see Linux
I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, etc. The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found that the nmb test fails. That is, nmblookup -B 192.168.5.255 RH72 does not find the RH72 box -- even when that command is run on the RH72 box itself! Changing the IP in that command from the "broadcast" IP to RH72'2 IP does give the correct response, and "smbclient -L //RH72" produces a correct list of shares. So, it seems that RH72 is not responding when queried on the broadcast IP. How can I fix this? (I've already tried invoking nmbd with the "-B" option, but that didn't work.) Thanks! --Robert Robert Book wrote: > I have a Windows 98SE box and a Red Hat 7.2 box with Samba 2.2.8a. > > The Linux box has no problem seeing the Windows box, mounting shares, > etc. > The Windows box has no problem seeing the Linux box for non-Samba > purposes (ping, ssh, etc.) But, the Windows box can't see the Linux > box in Network Neighborhood, and can't access any shares. > > I went through the "troubleshooting" chapter on samba.org, and found > that the nmb test fails. ...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders
I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus). What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that Linux can see the XP Shares? Here is my smb.conf file, #======================= Global Settings ===================================== [global] log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m cups options = raw netbios name = Nimitz server string = Nimitz Samba socket options = TCP_NODELAY workgroup = workgroup os level = 20 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers encrypt passwords = yes winbind trusted domains only = yes security = user passdb backend = tdbsam max log size = 50 General Schvantzkoph wrote: > I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and > CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM > sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes > (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other > and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared > folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network ...

Can see Suse and Window server, but can't access SuSe shares
Using LinNeighborhood to look at network.I'm running SUSE 9 on the system.. have no clue what happened. I use to be able to see the Suse box and the Window boxes on the network. Now i can see the SuSe box..but can't access the shares. I can still see and access the window boxes.. and they can see the SuSe box and access them. Just can't get the SuSe box to access itself from the LAN network. I see alot about not being able to see the window boxes and stuff.. but can't find how to configure this box to access itself thru the LAN. ...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

What Can Linux do that Windows can not FOR ME?
This is not meant to start a flame war. I do not mean to imply one way or another that I know the answer to this question and that is why I am asking it. Now, here is the thing, I have been using windows for about 8 years now, and I have been using linux for about 2 years on and off. So clearly my experience with to OS's is far from being on par. Currently I have Win XP and MEPIS 2004 installed on my laptop. Win XP does everything I need it to do and my Linux system is about 90% there (I am sure that in a month or two I'll have it 100% usable for my needs). So both do there job quite w...

Why can't Linux see my NIC?
I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9. When I'm in Windows, my PC connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. I get the red "failed" flag during boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection. If it matters, I'm on Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router. Any ideas? Thanks. Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote: > problems. But in Linux, it doesn.'t. It would be a little easier if you know which NIC is that. Davide -- | Reporter (t...

OT, Linux: bash can't see a file that's there, really!
Sorry for the OT post, but I figure I'll get a quicker, more useful response here. Brand new computer, Xubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 12.04 I just copied over my Codesourcery directory to /usr/share/arm-none-eabi (where it was on the old machine, and where everything worked fine). Bash insists it's not there, even though I can see it in a directory: Here's ls: $ ls -l /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/*gcc -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 270608 Aug 6 2014 /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin/ arm-none-eabi-gcc Here's when I try to run it: $ /usr/share/arm-none-eabi/bin...

Every time my Linux PC gets new Ip address, I can't access remotely, how can I access?/
Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. Thanks. On 12 Oct 2005 17:08:57 -0700, GS <globalswamy@hotmail.com> wrote: >Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, >I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), >when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. >Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /etc/hosts files (ip address >machine-name), also when I do "hostname" it shows different name, how >can I name this machine as "tiger" so always I want the machine name as >tiger (if I do "ping tiger" with LAN shoud work), how can I do that?. >Thanks. DDNS GS wrote: > Everytime when I boot (sometimes kids reboots) it gets new IP address, > I did port mapping in the Router (any ssh requests to this Ip addr), > when it changed Ip address, I can't access rempotely, any solution. > > Also I added its names as "dhcppc3" in /et...

My printers on WinXP, why can't Linux see it?
Yes, another problem networking with Windows! I have a printer on the Windows box and I can get the Windows box to see shares on the Linux box but I can't work out how to get the Linux box to see Windows. If I use "smbclient -L MAINPC" it doesn't list any shares but if i use "smbclient //MAINPC/SharedDocs" it gives me a "smb: \>" CLI. I can "ls" and list all the files on said share. I can even use "smbclient //MAINPC/deskjet -P" and get the same result but if I try and set up //MAINPC/deskjet as a SMB printer in printtool I can't get anything to print. If anyone could help me that would be really useful! Thanks David Lumm "David Lumm" <david.lumm@twinklebob.co.uk> wrote in message news:<bgg5c5$h8i$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>... > Yes, another problem networking with Windows! > I have a printer on the Windows box and I can get the Windows box to see > shares on the Linux box but I can't work out how to get the Linux box to see > Windows. > If I use "smbclient -L MAINPC" it doesn't list any shares but if i use > "smbclient //MAINPC/SharedDocs" it gives me a "smb: \>" CLI. I can "ls" and > list all the files on said share. I can even use "smbclient > //MAINPC/deskjet -P" and get the same result but if I try and set up > //MAINPC/deskjet as a SMB printer in printtool I can't get anything to > print. &g...

Still can't network Linux and Windows
Still trying crack the Linux-Windows SMB networking nut and it's driving me nuts: So far, I can: - ping both the Windows (XP Pro, Sp2) and Linux (CentOS 4.3, RHEL4 clone) by both hostname and network address, so no issues with basic networking. - access the Windows shares and print to the Windows printer on the Linux box, so SMB (Samba) is working on the Linux side. - view both the Windows and Linux hosts in the "View Network Computers" boxes on the XP box, so the Windows box can "see" the Linux box. However, when I try to access the Linux sh...

Can't ftp from Linux to windows-server
Trying to do ftp from a Linux pc-box (Red Hat - Fedora installation - FC1(?)). However, I get some problems with this and wonder if someone can help me. I have turned on debugging and see that I get: ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied I have tried ftp-command on to different servers and it works on one of the and not on the other. === 1) THE ONE WHICH DOES NOT WORK Server-platform: Windows Demands active ftp and do not accept passive ftp. ERROR: Some error messages and it hangs after some time. I have turned on debugging and see that I get: ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied === 2) THE ONE WHICH DOES WORK Server-platform: Unix Demands passive ftp and do NOT accept active ftp. This server demands that the ip-adress I present is available with forward and revers lookup which seems to work well in my case. === Unfortunately I need to do ftp to the windows server in 1). Does anyone have any clue as to what I can do to make this work? Any other app I can install and use? Any settings I can do on my machine to make it work? Other hints? Borge ...

How can Spy++ see windows that GetWindow() can't?
My program is launching another program using CreateProcess(), and then the launching program needs to control the launched program by sending it mouse and keyboard events. Nothing abnormal there. What is strange, is that the launching program isn't able to find the correct windows inside the launched program. Spy++ correctly sees that the main window of the launched program has 7 child windows, while both GetWindow(GW_HWNDNEXT) and EnumWindows() report only 4 child windows. Does anyone know what method Spy++ uses to find its windows? On Nov 8, 6:47=A0pm, Chris Shearer Coop...

How can Spy++ see windows that GetWindow() can't?
My program is launching another program using CreateProcess(), and then the launching program needs to control the launched program by sending it mouse and keyboard events. Nothing abnormal there. What is strange, is that the launching program isn't able to find the correct windows inside the launched program. Spy++ correctly sees that the main window of the launched program has 7 child windows, while both GetWindow(GW_HWNDNEXT) and EnumWindows() report only 4 child windows. Does anyone know what method Spy++ uses to find its windows? On Nov 8, 6:47=A0pm, Chris Shearer Coop...

Windows Can't see Sonicwall, Macs can.
I'm a programmer, not a networking guru, so maybe there's a easy answer to this, but I'm stumped. We have a SonicWall PRO 3060 Standard with a bunch of Macs and a few Windows PCs. The Macs are working great. But the Windows (XP Pro) machines have the following strange problem: They cannot ping the router (but Macs can). They cannot get on the internet (but Macs can). They DO see servers and other machines on our side of the firewall. BUT... They are listed in the router's ARP list. I can ping the PCs from the router. I can ping the PCs from other PCs and from Macs. All are on static IPs. As I said, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff Jeff Cooper wrote: > I'm a programmer, not a networking guru, so maybe there's a easy > answer to this, but I'm stumped. > > We have a SonicWall PRO 3060 Standard with a bunch of Macs and a few > Windows PCs. The Macs are working great. But the Windows (XP Pro) > machines have the following strange problem: > > They cannot ping the router (but Macs can). > They cannot get on the internet (but Macs can). > They DO see servers and other machines on our side of the firewall. > > BUT... > They are listed in the router's ARP list. > I can ping the PCs from the router. > I can ping the PCs from other PCs and from Macs. > > All are on static IPs. > > As I said, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions? > > Thanks,...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

Can't see computer hardwired to router, can see wireless computers
I have a network with one desktop, two laptops, and d-link di-624 router. Desktop (98se) is hardwired to router. One laptop (98 se) has d-link dwl g650 adapter. Other laptop (xp-home) has built-in Atheros adapter. All three do internet just fine. Laptops can see each other just fine. Laptop with d-link adapter and desktop can see each other fine. Problems are with laptop with xp (built-in Atheros) and desktop. Laptop doesn't see desktop at all nor the printer attached to it. I'm getting a message at that machine saying network cable not connected. Desktop sees laptop in...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

I can't see my Web site from Internet Explorer because I use LINUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help, I love linux, but i'm a major Web developer, but most my visitors use Internet Explorer. I cant' run Internet Explorer on linux. How the hell do I make sure everything looks ok on Internet Explorer? Crapo. Nick If you use all the right rules and make sure everything is standard, it should work. But in saying that, Ie throw's all the rules out the window. From my experience, it's the other browsers that you need to check with. IE will normally work, if you get it working on the others. to Run IE you have to run M$. You may aswell do a dual boot or look at VMware. ...

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

Web resources about - Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations. - comp.os.linux.networking