Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?`

Hello All:

I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
advice would be appreciated.

Here is some background info:

I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
wireless LAN card.

I have been looking at the archives of usenet groups to get an idea as
to which card would work, but most discussions are on newer releases of
Linux.

Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
this point.

I checked the Linksys site and they may still have 802.11b cards. They
refer the user to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng . I am not
sure if the drivers there would work with RH 7.2.

Deguza

0
deguza (29)

On 2005-09-12, Kompu Kid <deguza@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
> advice would be appreciated.

Most Wireless Nic have drivers that are only for kernels 2.6, running
such kernel on 7.2 means upgrading the whole distro. Afaik, the
Orinoco based cards have drivers that could run on 2.4, so the only
option for you is to try with such cards, but is a trial-and-error
procedure, and can get a lot expensive.

My advice is: upgrade to something more up-to-date or use a wired
network.

Davide

--
Unix: Where /sbin/init is still Job 1.
   -- From a Slashdot.org post
> I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
> advice would be appreciated.
I had an Orinoco card (AT&T) that worked just fine.  Perhaps you can
find a used one somewhere.  Caveats:  This was with RH 7.3, and I had
upgraded the kernel for other reasons.
> Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
> this point.
At least consider upgrading to 7.3.  You don't need a re-install for that.
0
nospam42 (262)
9/12/2005 11:28:28 AM
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:49:45 -0700, Kompu Kid wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
> advice would be appreciated.
>
> Here is some background info:
>
> I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
> wireless LAN card.
>
> I have been looking at the archives of usenet groups to get an idea as
> to which card would work, but most discussions are on newer releases of
> Linux.
>
> Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
> this point.
>
> I checked the Linksys site and they may still have 802.11b cards. They
> refer the user to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng . I am not
> sure if the drivers there would work with RH 7.2.
>
> Deguza

First off you need to upgrade to a modern distribution, no currently
available card is going to be supported in RH7.2. Put Fedora Core 4 on
your machine, don't do an upgrade do a clean install, RH7.2 is way to old
for an upgrade to work. Then you can do a search for Linux compatible
cards, if the card has support in the current kernel then it will work in
FC4.
0
schvantzkoph (1943)
9/12/2005 1:44:05 PM
> Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
> this point.

How about upgrading the kernel to 2.6 (for a test case, as dual boot)
and upgrade the associated dirvers?

--
Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

0
wideangle (197)
9/13/2005 10:02:26 AM
On 11 Sep 2005 21:49:45 -0700, "Kompu Kid" <deguza@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All:
>
>I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
>advice would be appreciated.
>
>Here is some background info:
>
>I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
>wireless LAN card.
>
>I have been looking at the archives of usenet groups to get an idea as
>to which card would work, but most discussions are on newer releases of
>Linux.
>
>Upgrading to a new version of Unix is not quite an option for me at
>this point.
>
>I checked the Linksys site and they may still have 802.11b cards. They
>refer the user to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng . I am not
>sure if the drivers there would work with RH 7.2.
>
>Deguza

The Orinoco Gold cards have always worked quite well for me.  They
used to be made by Lucent but are now sold as Proxim.  A quick search
on e-bay should produce some examples.
0
Ian
9/13/2005 7:20:37 PM
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:49:45 -0700, Kompu Kid wrote:
>

>>Hello All:
>>
>>I am looking for a WLAN card that would work with Redhat 7.2. Any
>>advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>Here is some background info:
>>
>>I have a Redhat 7.2 Linux computer that I would like to network with a
>>wireless LAN card.

Hi,
At least DAG and maybe ATrpms provide packages of recents modules and
apps for old redhat systems.
Basically they support rh7.3 but it works also with 7.3

Install yum ( if not already done ) and see if you can have  the
ndiswrapper kernel module and tools installed.
At this point you'll be able to install most wifi cards ( just a
question finding the windows driver )

Can't get PCI Network Card to Work
Hello, I have an IBM Pentium III 663MHz PC (desktop) which I've been trying to get a Linux Distro to work on with Networking successfully. I know it can be done, because this box has been loaded with an early version of Redhat and operated as a web server. I wanted to start fresh so I wiped the system clean with Redhat 8 - which was able to come up quickly and correctly detect the network card that was installed. However it could not "initialize" the card. I knew that Redhat 8 had some issues, so I installed Redhat 7.2. The results were the same. So know I've taken out the "big guns" - as it seems that Knoppix (4.0.2 in my case) will work with just about everything. But the results, sadly, are not much different. PCI is my only choice as the IBM only has PCI slots. I have two NICs that I've tried - and the results are pretty much the same: Card #1: This was the card that has been in there when the box was a web server - 3Com 10/100 TX Fast Etherlink XL PCI 2 - 3c905B-TX NM All three distros are able to probe the card correctly and select (what I would guess to be) the correct driver. I've tried toassign an IP through DHCP and also by assigning it a static IP - neither case worked. Card #2: (Test individually - not at the same time as card #1) - D-Link DFE-530TX REV-A1 All three distros were also able to select the correct driver for this card. I tried both DHCP and static IP. When I assigned the DLink an IP, and tried to ping my r...

[...]

What 3rd Party Wireless Network Card works In OSX 10.3.7
Does anyone know of any 3rd Party Wireless 54mbps that works under osx if so could they let me know which ones Thanks In article <41de7843$0$5690$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, Raymond Foo <satch@iinet.net.au> wrote: > Does anyone know of any 3rd Party Wireless 54mbps that works under osx > if so could they let me know which ones It would help a lot if you mentioned which Mac you want to put a wireless card in. Shawn Hearn wrote: > In article > <41de7843$0$5690$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>, > Raymond Foo...

Relation between Wireless Networking Cards and Wireless Routers #2
Hi, I want ot by a Dell Laptop. i am trying to configure it, but getting configuration conflicit at the wireless network cards and routers. Can anybody help me out in solving this. Also let me know which graphic card is good for a 15'.4''/2.16GHz/2GB RAM. thanks mpk ...

Wireless Network card for linux??
I have a Trendware networking card that doesn't seem to work on linux. it is a TEW-228PI 11Mbps Wireless LAN PCI Adapter. Are there any other Wireless network adapters that for sure work for linux?? "Ben Gregori" <ben1REMOVE@sfnet.com> wrote in message news:<1oOdnaRUBJYPD5_cRVn-pQ@speakeasy.net>... > I have a Trendware networking card that doesn't seem to work on linux. it > is a TEW-228PI 11Mbps Wireless LAN PCI Adapter. Are there any other > Wireless network adapters that for sure work for linux?? Hi Ben, please have a look here: http://pris...

Wireless Network Card In Linux
Hi All, I have Mandrake Linux 9 installed on my system. I have Netgear MA 521 wireless network card. Please could somebody instruct me how to install this card and configure it. Thank You very much ...

Any Documentaion about How Linux Networking IP stack looklike between Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces (LAN and WAN)?
Any Documenttaion about How Linux IP Networking stack looklike bwteen Linux PC (single NIC card) and Router with multiple Network interfaces running on Linux (LAN and WAN)?. appreciated for links or some documentation. Thanks. ...

strxns 0.9.2.7 Released
Package strxns-0.9.2.7 was released under AGPLv3 2008-10-31. The OpenSS7 XNS Networking package is an implementation of X/Open Network Services (XNS 5.2) for Linux Fast-STREAMS and provides OSI conforming CDI, DLPI and NPI header files as well as several DLPI and NPI modules and drivers that convert between Linux Native IP interface and the STREAMS DLPI and NPI interface. One allows DLPI drivers to be added to Linux as IP interfaces, another provides DLPI access to native Linux IP interfaces, and a third provides NPI access to the Linux IP subsystem. This is another separate release from the OpenSS7 Project of the OpenSS7 XNS Networking package, formerly part of the (now deprecated) Linux STREAMS (LiS) package. These networking modules provide DLPI, NPI and Linux IP drivers, as well as providing CDI, DLPI and NPI header files. The package contains all the necessary manual pages and other documentation for XNS components in a separate autoconf tarball. This release is primarily a maintenance release supporting recent distributions and tool chains. This release is a stable production release for Linux Fast-STREAMS. Major features since the last public release are as follows: - Minor documentation corrections. - Kernel module license made explicit GPL v2. And then changed back to GPL. - License upgrade to AGPL Version 3. - Modifications to build under Fedora 2.6.22.5-49 kernel. These changes also support 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 kernel. N...

Legato Networker 7.2.2 Build 422 -- Creating & Configuring a NDMP Client so that the CIFS Servers on a Celerra Networker Server Can be backed up
I am trying to run a backup of my Celerra Network Server NS40G. I am running backups through the Legato Networker Server 7.2.2. Build 422. For my two Celerra units I have two NDMP clients set up on the Legato Networker Server. I have created the clients no problem on the Legato Networker Server, added them to my Daily Backup Group and started the configuration -- here is how the clients are configured so far: In the General Tab of my client: The name of the client is netwincp.cph.local The saveset I have listed is -- userfiles ** userfiles is the name of one of my file system...

Changing network settings on a NEC network card on Indigo 2
Help!! I need to change the newtwork settings on my Indigo 2, I know how to change them on the 10 base T but can not seem to work out how to do it on my 100 base t card. My machine is running Irix 6.2 and it need to change ip, Subnet and gateway. Thanks Gary In article <n1sna2teu4pv5sncfgq83kt78ubsugqmcs@4ax.com>, Codeman <abcd@abc.com> wrote: >I need to change the newtwork settings on my Indigo 2, I know how to >change them on the 10 base T but can not seem to work out how to do it >on my 100 base t card. >My machine is running Irix 6.2 and it need to change ip, Subnet and >gateway. Which NEC 100 base-T network card is that? There were a couple of Phobos GIO based cards, and some cards available by going through a convertor from BIT3, and my searching seems to indicate that people have a driver hack to make 3COM's 3c597 EISA work with the Indigo^2; I do not, though, -recall- hearing of any NEC 100 BaseT working with the Indigo^2. OK I was talking about a 3com card my mistake...... On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:30:26 GMT, roberson@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) wrote: >In article <n1sna2teu4pv5sncfgq83kt78ubsugqmcs@4ax.com>, >Codeman <abcd@abc.com> wrote: >>I need to change the newtwork settings on my Indigo 2, I know how to >>change them on the 10 base T but can not seem to work out how to do it >>on my 100 base t card. > >>My machine is running Irix 6.2 and it need to change ip, Subne...

OS 2 Compatible Network Card
Hi all, Does anyone have a recommendation for a OS2 2.11 - Warp 3 compatible ethernet card for a Fujitsu Scenic 815 tower PC? I had a Trap D recurring error that I think may have to do with 3-com's 3C905C-TX but am not sure, so I want to find a network card that people are happy to install on an OS2 server. On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:33:02 -0400, Sio wrote: > Hi all, Does anyone have a recommendation for a OS2 2.11 - Warp 3 > compatible ethernet card for a Fujitsu Scenic 815 tower PC? I had a Trap D > recurring error that I think may have to do with 3-com's 3C905C-TX bu...

Redhat Linux Network Security #2
Redhat Linux Network Security Covering everything about security would take several volumes of books, so we can only look at the basics. We can take a quick look at the primary defenses you need in order to protect yourself from unauthorized access through telephone lines (modems), as well as some aspects of network connections. We won't bother with complex solutions that are difficult to implement because they can require a considerable amount of knowledge and they apply only to specific configurations. Instead, we can look at the basic methods of buttoning up your Linux system, mo...

Wireless network Card Driver for Linux
Hi, I bought a Compaq 3045 US Laptop and it has an integrated wireless card. I have installed Linux on the Laptop but it does not detect the Wireless card. All I know about the wireless card is that it is a Linksys 54g card. Compaq customer support has been of no help and all attempts to contact Linksys have failed. Is there someway I can detect the Wireless card. I also need the driver for the same. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks, Akshat Trivedi <akshat.trivedi@columbia.edu> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~akshat ...

Wireless Ethernet Network PCMCIA card #2
Wireless Ethernet Network PCMCIA card D-LINK DWL-650 wireless 802.11b Ethernet networking card for PC notebooks. Opened, with software, works perfectly; regularly $60, just $29! Dan at 805-684-0175. (Other bargains at www.west.net/~compserv) ...

HELP wireless network card
I've been trying to get my wireless network card working under Linux FOR YEARS (talk about TCO! :-( ). Recently, I installed Linux-2.6.7 thinking it would finally support my card. I believe the card is called Intersil Prism 2.5 and it's a mini-PCI card (It's permanently inside my laptop). In any case, `lspci` shows that the card is present: 02:0d.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3873 (rev 01) Subsystem: Citicorp TTI: Unknown device 1169 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11 Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities: <available only to root> The kernel was compiled with the these options: CONFIG_PCI=y CONFIG_HERMES=y CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y So W.T.F is still wrong ?!?!?!?! `ifconfig -a` does not show anything except dummy0, eth0 and lo It should show wi0 among others. On 2004-08-16, French Connection <fcuk_spammers@yahoo.com> wrote: > I believe the card is called Intersil Prism 2.5 and it's a mini-PCI > card (It's permanently inside my laptop). Well... evidently your card is _NOT_ such thing. If you tryed the prism driver and they don't work, I think you're out of luck. Davide -- "Whom are you?" said he, for he had been to night school. -- George Ade ...

HELP does Linux support this wireless network card or not?
I've been trying to get my wireless network card working under Linux FOR YEARS (talk about TCO! :-( ). Recently, I installed Linux-2.6.7 thinking it would finally support my card. I believe the card is called Intersil Prism 2.5 and it's a mini-PCI card (It's permanently inside my laptop). In any case, `lspci` shows that the card is present: 02:0d.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3873 (rev 01) Subsystem: Citicorp TTI: Unknown device 1169 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11 Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetc...

strange network crash [Linux taco 2.4.20 #7 SMP Thu Jul 3 21:48:15 CDT 2003 i686 unknown] #2
I had a very strange network crash and was wondering if anyone has any insight. /var/adm/syslog shows it starting: Feb 2 07:24:21 taco kernel: eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register 0000. Feb 2 07:24:21 taco kernel: eth0: PCI bus error, bus status 800000a0 this continues many times a second (~30 times a second) for about 45 minutes. An occassional : eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status e003. is in there too. At 08:12:10, syslog gets garbled with what looks like uuencoded text for a few screens and then about 20 lines appear from the ftp log that has dates back in October and that doesn't even exist! The system was still active, but with no networking from the time it all started. We had a motherboard burn out a few days earlier, and it was a replacement. (at least it wasn't another mobo prob (maybe)) Any thoughts? DOS attack? post-crash fs hiccup? bad mobo? thanks - Alan ...

Does the NT 4 OS/2 subsystem support OS/2 network devices?
Tim? "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message news:46WUr.25879$Yf7.11775@newsfe16.iad... > Tim? I don't quite understand the question, but the network adapter drivers will be NT4's and MS LAN Manager and IBM LAN Server can be made compatible enough to co-operate in a common Domain, with a few considerations taken into account. Is that what you mean? -- Cheers, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) Guildford, U.K. Ugh... me hardware guy... no code do I... Stick network card into NT box... Use OS/2 drivers... How's that, Tim? I can drag my knuckles on the ground and do some mouth-breathing if you'd like... On 8/9/2012 17:43, Tim WBST Clarke wrote: > "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message > news:46WUr.25879$Yf7.11775@newsfe16.iad... >> Tim? > > I don't quite understand the question, but the network adapter drivers > will be NT4's and MS LAN Manager and IBM LAN Server can be made > compatible enough to co-operate in a common Domain, with a few > considerations taken into account. Is that what you mean? "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message news:iBXUr.18305$lA2.10252@newsfe07.iad... > Ugh... me hardware guy... no code do I... > > Stick network card into NT box... Use OS/2 drivers... > > How's that, Tim? I can drag my knuckles on the ground and do some > mouth-breathing ...

Networking under OS/2 2.1
Hi, I use an old notebook with 33 Mhz and 12 MB RAM and Warp Connect is terribly slow on this machine. I own OS/2 2.1 and Warp Connect. So I'd like to know if I can use networking (NetBEUI or TCP/IP are ok) and maybe even some internet services (telnet, irc, icq, ssh, www...?) on this machine. Anyway, is there a usable Office packet out for this configuration? Something like IBM Works or so would be enough... Thanks, Sebastian Sir: Sebastian Raase wrote: > Hi, > > I use an old notebook with 33 Mhz and 12 MB RAM and Warp Connect is terribly > slow on this machine. I own OS/2 2.1 and Warp Connect. > > So I'd like to know if I can use networking (NetBEUI or TCP/IP are ok) and > maybe even some internet services (telnet, irc, icq, ssh, www...?) on this > machine. > > Anyway, is there a usable Office packet out for this configuration? > Something like IBM Works or so would be enough... > We all know that a 386-33 is a very slow machine compared to todays monsters speed demons. The first thing I would do is see if I can add more memory up to 64 MiB. That followed by a faster hard drive would maximize the ability of your notebook machine to give you pleasure. As to using the Internet and networking services on OS/2 2.1, don't. Warp 3 was optimized to run in low memory and slow machines, like yours. OS/2 2.1 was not. You would have an even slower experience with 2.1 installed. I'll be honest, it would be be...

2 cards 2 networks question
Hi, We have a collection of machines on our corporate network (100mbit) and I want to add a second card to selected machines (1Gbit) and connect them together via a switch , assign a 2nd IP address (10.0.0.x)and hostname, forming a private network, so that they can interact at high speed independed of our corporate network. The coporate network would provide general access to the machines, private comunication would be via the private network. Corp NET (100Mbit) Private NET (1000mbit) |----(Box_A) eth0(192.162.2.1) machine eth1(A) (10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0)--| | | | ---(Box_B) eth0(192.162.2.2) machine eth1(B) (10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0)--| | | -- (Box_C) eth0 machine | Box_X is corporate name, X is private name..Addresses are dummy My hope would be that if I went (example) telnet Box_B from Box_A it would go via the coporate network, but if I went telent B from Box_A it would go via the private network. The coporate nameservice would be via the corp. DNS server. for the private network it would be via the hosts tables of A and B. The gateway is set to the coporate one (192.162.2.254) Problem is it doesn't work..... where have I gone wrong. :-( How would it know which card to go out....??? What am I missing??? Thanks in advance Voigt > Problem is it doesn't work..... Can you be even a teeny bit more specific? Look back at similar threads in this group, see what information was required, then post it for your situati...

Help!!!! --- RedHat Linux 6.1 cannot detect my network card, what should I do
I have a question when i install RedHat 6.1 on my PII 200 MMX box with 48M memory and 2G HD. It has 3COM network card. I used to install win2k on it, there is no problem with the network card, when I changed to RH 6.1, it report the network card not found. What's the hack? How can I manually test the network card and configure it out? Thanks. Oliver Op Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:59:34 -0700, schreef Oliver Yao de volgende woorden: > I have a question when i install RedHat 6.1 on my PII 200 MMX box with > 48M memory and 2G HD. It has 3COM network card. I used to install > w...

Older IBM wireless card works with OS/2 drivers
The OS/2 wireless drivers officially work with the IBM "High Rate Wireless LAN" PC Card P/N 09N9904 and IBM FRU 22P4592. A little surprised to find that the OS/2 drivers also work with a different older wireless IBM PC 802.11b card with P/N 09N9864. That card only supports WEP64 encryption but it does work. -- Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52 and Sea Monkey 1.5a ...

US-TX-Austin: Network Specialist, 10+yrs networking, Cisco Cert., Cisco Works; 2 (45331457606)
US-TX-Austin: Network Specialist, 10+yrs networking, Cisco Cert., Cisco Works; 2 (45331457606) ============================================================================================== Position: Network Specialist Reference: SMC01804 Location: Austin TX Duration: 2Weeks Skills: 10+yrs exp in networking, network standards and protocols, communications standards and protocols and retain current Cisco Certifications. Applicable Cisco certification (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE). 2+yrs exp with Cisco Works. ...

US-TX-Austin: Network Specialist, 10+yrs networking, Cisco Cert., Cisco Works; 2 (45331452762)
US-TX-Austin: Network Specialist, 10+yrs networking, Cisco Cert., Cisco Works; 2 (45331452762) ============================================================================================== Position: Network Specialist Reference: SMC01804 Location: Austin TX Duration: 2Weeks Skills: 10+yrs exp in networking, network standards and protocols, communications standards and protocols and retain current Cisco Certifications. Applicable Cisco certification (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE). 2+yrs exp with Cisco Works. ...

Web resources about - Wireless networking cards that would work with Redhat 7.2?` - comp.os.linux.networking

Synchronous optical networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SONET and SDH, which are essentially the same, were originally designed to transport circuit mode communications (e.g., DS1 , DS3 ) from a variety ...

Contract Systems Analyst (Networking/LAN) 160226/SA/941

4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand
4 Must Own Technology Networking Stocks Seeing Huge Demand 24/7 Wall St. It's all around us, just look. Everywhere people are looking at phones ...

Report: Social Networking Apps Led Usage During the Super Bowl
... mobile device during the game. Specifically, Localytics , an analytics and marketing platform for mobile and Web apps, found social networking, ...

13 different Netgear networking products are all on sale today only
... huge sale on Netgear products. In this sale, you're going to find killer prices on everything from routers and cable modems to powerline networking ...

10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o...
10th Annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast Projects 70 Percent o... CNNMoney Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) Since 2000, when the ...

Aruba Shows Off HPE Integration With New Networking Offerings
At Aruba's user conference, officials unveil a range of integrated wired and wireless that take advantage of the best of both companies.

Review: Eero's Innovative Wi-Fi System Takes The Hassle Out Of Networking, For A Price
This startup's approach to Wi-Fi may be more Apple-esque than Apple's own Wi-Fi gear. More than a year ago, a startup called "Eero" announced ...

Blended Learning Universe Upgrades To Drive Educator Learning, Networking
We live in an amazing time where school leaders have the capability to advance student-centered learningthe combination of personalizing learning ...

Edtech providers eye social networking
An app that puts entrepreneurs in touch with mentors is among new innovations