Wireless standardization ever going to happen?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi all,

It seems to me that wireless technology is today
where sound cards used to be: A chaotic mess of
cards each requiring a different driver. Then came
the AC97 standard which I gather (I could be wrong)
set things right.

My question is though, when are wireless cards
going to be standardized too? So long as we are
forced to get drivers from the manufacturers
alternative OSes other than perhaps Linux will be
hamstrung-- prevented from supporting what is
arguably the most important feature a computer
can have nowadays: wireless connectivity.

Thoughts?
0
Reply qyz (1) 12/13/2009 6:43:00 PM

See related articles to this posting

In article
<222e78a5-15a8-4ffd-b81e-f4365f56d201@p30g2000vbt.googlegroups.com>,
 Qyz <qyz@myway.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It seems to me that wireless technology is today
> where sound cards used to be: A chaotic mess of
> cards each requiring a different driver. Then came
> the AC97 standard which I gather (I could be wrong)
> set things right.
>
> My question is though, when are wireless cards
> going to be standardized too? So long as we are
> forced to get drivers from the manufacturers
> alternative OSes other than perhaps Linux will be
> hamstrung-- prevented from supporting what is
> arguably the most important feature a computer
> can have nowadays: wireless connectivity.
>
> Thoughts?

Many vendors are including the hardware as a standard feature, not an
option; for example, all Macs now sold, and for a while now, have had
built-in wireless client hardware.

There are standards (or at least drafts) for the radio side
(802.11a/b/g/n).

I don't expect vendors to get interested in supporting alternative OSes
until they become a much larger fraction of the market than they now
have.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:43:00 -0800 (PST), Qyz <qyz@myway.com> wrote:

>It seems to me that wireless technology is today
>where sound cards used to be: A chaotic mess of
>cards each requiring a different driver. Then came
>the AC97 standard which I gather (I could be wrong)
>set things right.

Well, sorta.  Via introduced the AC'97 driver when it integrated the
sound function into various glue chips.  Here's a partial list:
<http://majorgeeks.com/VIA_AC97_Vinyl_Audio_driver_d4505.html>
Despite the buzz and noise that this introduced, the conglomeration
did produce a substantial drop in price.  That attracted the bottom of
the line system integrators.  The rest is history.

To do the same with a wireless chipset would require a much higher
level of integration.  Bluegoof and Wi-Fi integration is a no-brainer.
WiMax, GPS, AM/FM, TV, HDTV, Wireless USB, cellular modems, IrDA, and
whatever else I forgot, will need to be conglomerated into a single
chip in order to do the same thing that Via did with the AC'97.  This
is already happening in space cramped devices such as PDA's and cell
phones.  You may get you wish, but I suspect there will be more than
one nightmares attached.

>My question is though, when are wireless cards
>going to be standardized too?

Probably when some company buys out all the dot.com survivors and
declares themselves dictator of computers.  It's difficult to build an
interface standard, without first building a functionality standard.

Standards come in two flavors, de facto (in practice) and de jure (in
principle).  The AC'97 driver is a de facto standard because in
practice, it's used in a rather large number of systems.  It was never
endorsed by any standards organization.  802.11 is a standard in
principle because an organized mob of experts, inscribed a document to
that affect, and it's members and supported adopted it with minimal
butchery and protest.  However, they missed one obscure patent, which
is now causing extreme grief:
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/158194,csiros-wi-fi-patent-victory-earns-200m-and-counting.aspx>
The inability of getting this horde all going in the same direction
was demonstrated by the protracted and often absurd battle over
802.11n (MIMO).  If you want an interface standard, it will need to
come from the various wi-fi chipset vendors, few of which are even on
speaking terms.  By 2011, the industry expects to ship about 1 billion
wi-fi chipsets.  Good luck changing the direction of that avalanche.

>So long as we are
>forced to get drivers from the manufacturers
>alternative OSes other than perhaps Linux will be
>hamstrung-- prevented from supporting what is
>arguably the most important feature a computer
>can have nowadays: wireless connectivity.

The same chipset vendors are often unwilling to share chipset
internals.  Some, such as Atheros are fairly liberal with information.
Others, such as Broadcom are utterly secretive and paranoid.  I had to
sign NDA's in order to get an accurate data sheet and programming
info.  If you feel the need, please do try to organize this herd of
cats.  Otherwise, pick your favorite chipset vendor, and stay with
them.

>Thoughts?

None come to mind.  Thinking is a luxury.  These days, I just react.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.internet.wireless, in article
<222e78a5-15a8-4ffd-b81e-f4365f56d201@p30g2000vbt.googlegroups.com>, Qyz wrote:

reduces the chance of your post being seen.  Find a real news server.

>My question is though, when are wireless cards
>going to be standardized too? So long as we are
>forced to get drivers from the manufacturers
>alternative OSes other than perhaps Linux will be
>hamstrung-- prevented from supporting what is
>arguably the most important feature a computer
>can have nowadays: wireless connectivity.

Probably about the same time we will get uniform or standard drivers
for the rest of the hardware, such as printers, Ethernet and video
cards.  The manufacturers feel that their designs are superior to all
others and see no need to share such trade secrets with other
manufacturers, much less software authors.   You may recall when US
Robotics developed the "Winmodem<AE>" as a means of reducing the high
cost of their modems.  They didn't share with the rest of industry,
much less the other operating system software authors (there still is
no "free" driver for the USR loosemodem family).  The other
manufacturers saw how profitable this was, and developed their own
versions (continuing to eat USR's lunch by remaining much cheaper).
Have you noticed how many different loosemodems have "free" drivers?
Have a look at the Hardware and Modem HOWTOs:

-rw-rw-r--  1 gferg    ldp       1078686 May 23  2007 Hardware-HOWTO
-rw-rw-r--  1 gferg    ldp        338097 Jan 17  2007 Modem-HOWTO

This compatibility problem is no worse than elsewhere. How many parts
on your car are compatible/interchangable with parts from other car
manufacturers?

        Old guy
0
Reply ibuprofin 12/14/2009 8:03:15 PM
comp.os.linux.networking 15573 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

going wireless
We have a 400 with V4R5 that will be moved to a remote spot in our plant. Currently it is wired to the network, but no wires exist at the new spot. I have no experience with wirelessly hooking up a 400!!! We have an access point (2Wire Portal). 1. What do I buy to connect to the 400 to the access point? 2. Or do I need to use a bridge: 400-to-bridge -))))((((- bridge-to-Portal? 3. Or is there another (hopefully simple) way? I am assuming that any units must be configured via a PC & not the 400. -? Thanks, QD There are plenty of ways to achieve this, main concern is perform...

What ever happened to?
Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz? They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity. -- jay "jaysome" <jaysome@spamcop.net> wrote in message > Anyone know what ever happened to Lawrence Kirby and Dan Pop and Kaz? > They used to be some of the most influential posters here on c.l.c > (among others who are still around). I sure miss their segacity. > The nature of Usenet is that people come and go. Lawrence Kirby made a brief reappearance recentl...

how to go wireless./
I have a laptop Toshiba 2180CDT and a Nokia 5165 cell phone. what do I need to be able to get and send e-mails and get on the internet while on the road? Tim, Looking to expand Seniors (55 + ) Daytime Pool League Tim: Toss the phone away. It does not appear to allow a computer hook up to it. (At least it is not in the manual.) You need a phone that allows a serial port access to it like a Qualcom 2035 or better.(Kyocera) Then you can do a direct dial up using your serial port and connect to your ISP at around 14.4K. The other option and the one I use is to sign up for a 3G servic...

Going Wireless
I'm about to make the move from a dial-up to wireless if I can. Anybody help with: A wireless card for eCs 1.1? Security issues I'll need to look at? Ta Mike ...

going wireless
I have a 800mhz Ibook. I am thinking of going wireless, the appeal of the internet while watching TV! boy that sounds so sad... Anyway since I have the Ibook I bet I will need an airport card instead of a 3rd party card. What about base units? Do I have to use the airport base station or can I use any others? Thanks, Gary Williams The Ibook doesn't have any card slots. The airport card would go in an internal slot. > From what I've heard, you don't have to have an AirPort base station -- > third-party wireless base stations work as well. However, I think t...

What ever happened to...
....The Flipstart? http://www.flipstart.com/ It's still listed as one of Paul Allen's *achievements* on his website: http://www.paulallen.com/Template.aspx?contentId=16 -- The Texeme Construct http://you-read-it-here-first.com ...

Confirmed: never, Ever, EVER use nreverse unless you (I mean I) damn well know what is going on
I had no idea nreverse could reach this deep (amounting to shallow understanding/thinking?). This is the code snippet: (let ((data (tecplot-data data-pod var :type :boundary :avg avg))) (coerce (reverse data) 'vector))) Now (tecplot-data ... ) amounts to (aref (data object) 6) where (data object) returns a vector of 9 lists. `data' never existed in the let construct, and the direct reference to the original list was maintained across two function calls. Makes perfect sense in retrospect, but for a while I thought I was seeing gremlins. Argh ... Back t...

linksys wireless router wired to XP box, going wireless to Mac (I keep loosing the DSL connection)
I can get it hooked up to my XP box, but after some time (sometime 5 inutes, sometimes 30 minutes) to connection dies. I then have to reset to router by pushing the reset button to get it back. How can I fix this? Does it have something to do with my IP address? I think I only get 1 dynamic IP address for my DSL Thanks!!!! ...

What ever happened to the MacAir?
Wasn't that "revolutionary" also? You never hear a whisper about that underpowered, useless attempt to dominate the netbook market. On Apr 15, 12:27=A0pm, "Mocassin joe" <joemocasa...@aol.com> wrote: > Wasn't that "revolutionary" also? > > You never hear a whisper about that underpowered, useless attempt to > dominate the netbook market. It's right here..... http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air?mco=3DOTY= 2ODExMQ On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:27:44 -0400, Mocassin joe wrote: > Wasn&...

What ever happened to Loadstar?
It seems like they have closed down business or aren't advertising anymore. :( Paul ...

Info on going Wireless
I would appreciate suggestions on how best to get up to speed on the options for switching from ethernet to wireless for our home offices? I'd like to learn about the different types of wireless and the pros and cos, especially dependability and security. I was going to start with Adam Engst's book but haven't got there yet. My wife seems to have tired of the ethernet cables. I guess she has a point since I said they'd only be on the stairs from her office to mine for a short time. Think that was 2 years ago. ;) ;) I tried wireless about 3 years ago and it would keep dr...

what ever happened to BlueFlash?
http://vinchysky.angelfire.com/ On 6/26/2012 10:24 AM, aiiadict@gmail.com wrote: > http://vinchysky.angelfire.com/ Sounds like getting it working crushed his soul. The CFFA3000 was probably another blow - it does everything he was after except the bluetooth. Did you send him an email? Le mardi 26 juin 2012 16:24:46 UTC+2, (inconnu) a =E9crit=A0: > http://vinchysky.angelfire.com/ I think the iDisk was the final BlueFlash card. Alas, the fairy is gone... antoine ...

What ever happened to Symantec
Two of our key machines, they back up to the servers of cause, but because of the importance of the machines to the company I decided to go for mirroring too. The problem of mirroring client PCs is that a year or so after the mirror is started the user is likely to have forgotten to check the mirror is active, if they do happen to get a message that tells them on boot that one of their mirror pair is offline, they wont see it. So you have an important machine hanging by a thread and no one knows it. So I thought I would give ghost another run, I had tried it a long time ago and basically t...

ATT wireless a no-go
I just had AT&T Uverse service installed, replacing Comcast cable. The desktop, running Debian etch, performs with an ethernet connection, but I can't get wireless going on a laptop, IBM T30, also etch. The card is recognized: dmesg|grep wlan0: wlan0: vendor: 'NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card' wlan0: ethernet device [MAC addreess] using NDIS driver netwg511 . . . I changed /etc/network/interfaces: iface wlan0 inet dhcp wireless-essid 2wire341 wireless-mode managed wireless key *...

What ever happened to Oxford?
I used to really enjoy bantering with him. I had some very friendly off-newsgroup conversations with him in private email. His private email address was an official Apple address and the name had something to do with changing the world. Honestly, I was wondering because he stopped posting somewhere around the time that Jobs got pretty sick. Wondering if anybody has hear of him since then? All arguing aside and everything, he was actually a very nice and intelligent guy who helped me with Apple related IT issues on more than one occasion. "jerryeveretts" <ifreeley@...

What ever Happen to that 48G?
A while back Mitch Tompson was offered a 48G to the best reason. I was wondering what happened with that? What was the winning reason? Anyone know? M@ I do. (See the original, errr second, thread) "MG" <deadgrey19@htomail.com> wrote in message news:bpukpo$b4d$1@tomahawk.unsw.edu.au... > A while back Mitch Tompson was offered a 48G to the best reason. I was > wondering what happened with that? What was the winning reason? Anyone know? > > M@ > > ...

Going wireless... a few questions
Up until just recently I had no need of a wireless connection. Now that my wife just bought one of the new little G4 iBooks, I'm thinking I'd like to try the wireless route but I don't really want to give up the speed of my hardwired connection. I have a few simple questions regarding all of this. 1 - IS a wireless connection slower than my hardwired Comcast one? 2 - If I do go wireless, what options, other than Apple's Airport, work with printing,(I just read a bit of George Graves wireless thread)? 3 - Can I mix wireless and hardwired so I can increase the number of ...

What ever happened to PageMill?
For us Desktop Publisher types, what is there for us in OSX, like PageMill? I liked PageMill's DTP type of interface. Is there a reasonable replacement? -- Member AAAAAAAA American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity. There is Go Live CS, by guess who: Adobe. Jeepers wrote: > > For us Desktop Publisher types, what is there for us in OSX, like > PageMill? I liked PageMill's DTP type of interface. Is there a > reasonable replacement? > > -- > Member AAAAAAAA > American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity. In article <m...

What ever happened with Wimp2?
It looks like the last release was in 1999. I haven't tried running it yet, but it looks like a good proof of concept of putting a PMT layer on top of RISC OS, and allowing CMT apps to run alongside it, to gradually move to a more PMT-compatible system without having to rearchitect the entire OS in one go. Also, the PMT layer could have support for multiprocessing, to take advantage of multi-core CPUs (or a Hydra with five StrongARMs stuffed in it, but that'd be bus starved anyway.) Are there any downsides to such an approach? Yes, there'd have to be bugs that would be worked out...

What ever happened to devfs?
Anybody know? It was dead useful since you didn't have 1,000 device nodes that were jsut confusing the issue. I used the patch on SuSE 7.2 and was impressed. However, upgrading the kernel for fixes meant that I had to rerun the changes. A bit of a PITA. I was hoping that it would become the default. It doesn't look like it. Any reason why? Cheers On 28-may-2004, Mark Hackett <mark.hackett@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote´┐Ż: > Anybody know? It was dead useful since you didn't have 1,000 device nodes > that were jsut confusing the issue. [...] In 2.6 kernels, it is ph...

What do I need to go wireless?
I have the main computer (DELL 8300) upstairs in my home. It's connected to a cable modem (Comcast), works great. It is in my office area and has to stay there. The wife has a knee problem and would rather not have to climb stairs to use the PC/internet. We had a DELL (2200, I think) small desktop given to us. Both machines are Windows XP Home Edition. I'd like to have the small downstairs unit to be able to access email/internet, etc. The upstairs DELL 8300 is on all the time. So, I was wondering, what do I need in both of these machines to accomplish this? Thanks ...

Confused re wireless standards
I'm planning a wireless set up in my home, between a desktop and printer on a lower level, and a laptop on an upper level of my house, and am a little confused about exactly what the latest wireless standards are. I read about 802.11 a-g and different transmission frequencies used and possible interference from home phones tv's etc. For all practical purposes what should I be concerned with in deciding which wireless routers and laptop cards to buy? Do some wireless device manufacturers products have a more reliable reputation than other? Should cost be the guiding factor? I'd app...

What ever happened to stem(1)?
Hi All Does anyone know why stem(1) was dropped from AIX 5.1? Is there some replacement I should be using instead? Thanks, Shaun ...

Is MobileMe ever going to work?
WTF, my poor old neighbor. Apple is making and selling some seriously broken shit lately. MuahMan wrote: > WTF, my poor old neighbor. > > Apple is making and selling some seriously broken shit lately. Apple just announced they are extending everyone's subscriptions an *additional* 60 days on top of the 30 days already offered. (This was supposedly done in an email to all subscribers, but I haven't received it yet. They probably can't send mail to everyone at once without breaking it). I hope John tells them that he has had "ZERO problems" and declin...