ATEN USB 2.0 PC-Card crashes RH8 during shutdown

Have an ATEN USB 2.0 PC-Card in a Dell Latitude C800 running RH8.0
This works OK with my USB Memory stick, mouse, keyboard
but when I shut down the system, it freezes halfway, so I have to
turn power off.

When I reboot I then of course have to fsck the system...

I think but have not tried, that I can fix the problem by doing

# rmmod ehci-hcd

before shutting down.
Would like to automate this so the question is:

How can I automatically run a script when I shut down the system?

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

0
Ulf
8/18/2004 11:16:37 AM
comp.os.linux.portable 1227 articles. 0 followers. larwe (1373) is leader. Post Follow

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:16:37 +0200, Ulf Samuelsson
 <ulf@atmel.dot.com> probably wrote (unless it was a Kook):
> # rmmod ehci-hcd
>
> before shutting down.
> Would like to automate this so the question is:
>
> How can I automatically run a script when I shut down the system?

Look for anything that runs in runlevels 0 and 6.

Also, I've had problems with that EHCI module myself, so I wouldn't
even attempt to load it.

--
eval join"",map{chomp;s/^.+>\s*//;$_}grep{/>/}<DATA>; __DATA__
      .'  .'     Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price -- WolfSkunk Designs

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:16:37 +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> Have an ATEN USB 2.0 PC-Card in a Dell Latitude C800 running RH8.0 This
> works OK with my USB Memory stick, mouse, keyboard but when I shut down
> the system, it freezes halfway, so I have to turn power off.
>
> When I reboot I then of course have to fsck the system...
>
> I think but have not tried, that I can fix the problem by doing
>
> # rmmod ehci-hcd
>
> before shutting down.
> Would like to automate this so the question is:
>
> How can I automatically run a script when I shut down the system?

0
Me
10/16/2004 12:27:08 AM
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:27:08 GMT, Me staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged for easier reading
comprehension.

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:16:37 +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> Have an ATEN USB 2.0 PC-Card in a Dell Latitude C800 running RH8.0
>> This works OK with my USB Memory stick, mouse, keyboard but when I
>> shut down the system, it freezes halfway, so I have to turn power
>> off.
>>
>> When I reboot I then of course have to fsck the system...  I think
>> but have not tried, that I can fix the problem by doing
>> # rmmod ehci-hcd
>>
>> before shutting down.  How can I automatically run a script when I
>> shut down the system?
> Craft a script similar to what is in /etc/init.d then run chkconfig
> and tell it to run that on initlevel 6 I think.

Nope.  In SysV init setups (used by every distro except Gentoo and
Slackware) runlevel (not "initlevel") 6 is for "reboot".  Runlevel 0 is
for "halt".  The easiest/best thing to do may be to modify the "local"
script (/etc/init.d/rc.local?) so that it does "rmmod ehci_hcd" when
called with argument "stop".  Add the S99 symlink to this script to
directories /etc/init.d/rc6.d and /etc/init.d/rc0.d , or use chkconfig
to do that.

Note that if you have a USB2 device plugged in and mounted, and you try
to shut down or reboot, the rmmod will fail and your system will hang
when halt -p is executed.  There's no real way around that.  Maybe move
the rmmod somewhere before S99, so that the umount -a is done before
the rmmod.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!
Dances