Core i7 laptop that supports high-resolution 27" external monitor and built-in-screen simultaneously

I'm looking for a laptop for software development and general-purpose use that has a fast CPU and can support a dual-monitor configuration that includes a high resolution external monitor requiring dual-link dvi.

Some of the "gotchas" I have encountered are "hybrid" GPU setups that have limitations on which GPU can be used to drive the external display, and limitations on GPUs regarding dual-link dvi.

I need something that works well with Linux, is likely to continue to work well, and has no "gotchas" regarding a high resolution external monitor in use simultaneously with the internal monitor.
0
Zigurd
1/11/2013 4:35:30 PM
comp.os.linux.portable 1227 articles. 0 followers. larwe (1373) is leader. Post Follow

Negroponte wants to dump linux and make Windows the sole OS on the OLPC laptop
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080422/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2 <quote> For about a year, however, Microsoft has been working to get a slimmed-down version of Windows to run on XO laptops. As a result, Negroponte said Tuesday that he expects XOs to soon have a "dual-boot" option, meaning users would be able to run Windows or Sugar. Eventually, Negroponte added, Windows might be the sole operating system, and Sugar would be educational software running on top of it. That might disappoint advocates of open-source software who helped bankroll OLPC and cheered the challeng...

Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment
Unix / Linux Program Port to OS/2 with GCC and LIBC: HowTo Support / Use of Unix Function "Symbolic Link" in OS/2 Environment Introduction by Example of the MPLAYER port 2007-07-16 22.00 first draft 1. Introduction and Credits The discussion of the MPlayer port comes up with the above subject. Thanks to Dave Yeo for the hint to the subject and the porting of the GNU Core Utils ( http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/) OS/2 port on Hobbes: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=coreutils_5.93 2.1 The Linux symbolic link function ( extract ) is introduced by the example of the MPlayer OS/2 port installation 2.2 Here are two of the directories / files used by MPlayer ~/.mplayer --> %MPLAYER_HOME% ~/.mplayer/font/ --> %MPLAYER_HOME%\font 2.3 Symbolic Link to a file, a directory In the Linux implementation "Symbolic Link" can be used to define/reference the location / the font to be used for OSD Here is a description of the function symbolic link in Linux (part of it - excerpt ) http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ln.htm ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME] Here with mplayer it is used ln -s TARGET LINK_NAME LINK_NAME used here with the example: for a file "subfont" located at ~/.mplayer/subfont.fft ...

"Does this laptop come with Linux OS?" Sorry...
"The Portege M780 ships with Microsoft Windows 7." http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/portege/M780 MS is doomed. On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:13:33 -0400, DFS wrote: > > MS is doomed. At least we agree on something. ...

[News] Linux Praised for Good Hardware Support on "Proprietary" Laptops

Ubuntu Lurid crapware victim: "freezes when plug an external monitor into laptop"
"Ubuntu still freezes when i plug an external monitor via vga on my laptop." #212 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=22 14-month old bug still not fixed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/319717 Keep hope alive - there are 80000 other open bugs they have to deal with. On Thu, 06 May 2010 23:33:48 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Ubuntu still freezes when i plug an external monitor via vga on my laptop." > > #212 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=22 > ...

Vodaphone drops Linux netbooks
<quote> Vodafone has dismissed the preinstallation of Linux onto its netbooks, citing consumers' perception that netbooks are equivalent to laptops in their functionality. David Pollington, the operator's head of consumer and internet technical research, said on Wednesday that netbooks - which originally came with Linux rather than Windows as their operating systems - had originally been intended as always-on web-browsing devices, but users had misinterpreted their purpose. "Unfortunately, when the public got hold of these devices, they thought they were small PCs,...

High resolution Linux Laptop?

RCI Special
We are pleased to announce a very special promotion bringing high specification 19" LCD (flat screen) monitors to users at the same price as a good 17" unit. Bearing in mind the high price normally associated with high spec 19" units, we have been quite literally amazed by this special offer from our suppliers. The monitors in question are brand new, with full warranty from their top-tier manufacturer - 19" LCD monitors with dual inputs - analogue and DVI digital. Speakers are included in the bezel of the monitor, removing the need for seperate speakers for general use. ...

Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!"
"It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS." http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3 "Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!! Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. Al...

Why does "Linux Company" IBM support a "crime against humanity" ????
The answer is money. It's always about money for these "linux companies" like IBM and Google. <quote> Electronic Frontier Foundation February 5, 2015 | By Nadia Kayyali EFF Files Amicus Brief in Case That Seeks to Hold IBM Responsible for Facilitating Apartheid in South Africa This case isn't about general-purpose technology being cleverly misused by a malicious government. Rather, this case is about corporate collaboration in governmental human rights abuses, through the creation of a customized technology solution for the known and intended purpose of...

Any laptop with large screen AND high resolution?
I am looking to replace my Inspiron 9100 (with 15.4" screen and 1920x1200 resolution). I'd really like a bigger screen and, if possible, higher resolution. I was attracted by the new generation of 20" laptops (Dell M2010, Acer 9800) but really disappointed when I found that both of these have a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 (as does the 19" Samsung M70). Most 17" laptops also only go to 1680x1050 (or less!), although there is the odd one which will go to 1920x1200. Question: Is there a large screen (over 17") laptop which has 1920x1200 (or higher) resolution? ...

17" Laptop Screen Resolution...
Hello, Buying a laptop which will be used downstairs in my house, has to have EXCELLENT multimedia functionality (Want MS Media Player 2005), and basically be a powerhouse. I really like the lookof the Qosmio G20-105 - and am ready to stick the �2K down tonight... The resolution? 1440 x 900 (I believe they call it WXGA or WXGA+) Is this a good resolution for such an expensive laptop with 17" screen? I know different aspect, but is it comparable in icon size etc to 1024 x 768, or 1280 x 1024 and so on... Would you recommend a 17" laptop which has a crazy resolution such as ...

Re: Informix support for Linux
This IBM's new policy sucks !!! Do IBM support DB2 with these same policies ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Thompson" <ben@nomonitorsoftspam.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 6:29 PM Subject: Informix support for Linux - "enterprise" Linux distros only in the > IBM seem to have changed their policy on what Linux distribution they > will support (source: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/). > > Roughly speaking it would seem that only RedHat and SuSE are now > supported rather than the previous policy of matching kernel and glibc > versions. This is OK for us but I am pleased we hadn't deployed our > systems on Mandrake, for example. > > As part of this policy it states that "our future direction is to > support enterprise versions only for major Informix releases." Now I > have just checked and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server comes in at �599+VAT. > OK, big deal but it effectively raises the outlay required for IDS per > server by that amount. One of the ways our company can justify IDS over > SQL Server 2000 (there are other reasons as well) is that we save money > by not having to buy Windows 2000 Server. The whole budget can be spent > on the DBMS. > > As we are experienced with Informix and rarely call technical support > and when we do it is it's invariably a bug we could m...

Re: Informix support for Linux
I take your words as mine. (Specially because I don't write english very well :-) Absolutely agree! Mario R. Canto Ben Thompson escribi�: >IBM seem to have changed their policy on what Linux distribution they >will support (source: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/). > >Roughly speaking it would seem that only RedHat and SuSE are now >supported rather than the previous policy of matching kernel and glibc >versions. This is OK for us but I am pleased we hadn't deployed our >systems on Mandrake, for example. > >As part of this policy it states that "our future direction is to >support enterprise versions only for major Informix releases." Now I >have just checked and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server comes in at �599+VAT. >OK, big deal but it effectively raises the outlay required for IDS per >server by that amount. One of the ways our company can justify IDS over >SQL Server 2000 (there are other reasons as well) is that we save money >by not having to buy Windows 2000 Server. The whole budget can be spent >on the DBMS. > >As we are experienced with Informix and rarely call technical support >and when we do it is it's invariably a bug we could maybe continue to >use SuSE Linux 9.0 if that was still possible. > >It does strike me as a slightly ill-thought move to effectively increase >the price in this way. You might say an ent...

Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
IT Sstandrads Hijack Threatens European Economix Competitiveness ,----[ Quote ] | To stop Europe being rail-roaded into an inadequate standard, the | ODF Alliance urges national supporters who have issues to raise | contradictions of ECMA's standard with existing standards to | encourage their national ISO representatives to raise formal | contradictions as quickly as possible, certainly | before 5th February 2007. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_dis ...

[News] Linux Supported by a Big Red
Don't let the trolls spew out just the negative spins to this story. Big Blue and Big Red now jointly work to address the demand for Linux (yesterday's news). Announcing Oracle Unbreakable Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle Unbreakable Linux is a support program that | provides enterprises with industry-leading global | support for Linux. Recognizing the demand for true | enterprise-quality Linux support and seeing an | opportunity to significantly reduce IT infrastructure | costs, Oracle is now offering Linux operating | system support. `---- http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/in...

Informix support for Linux
IBM seem to have changed their policy on what Linux distribution they will support (source: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/). Roughly speaking it would seem that only RedHat and SuSE are now supported rather than the previous policy of matching kernel and glibc versions. This is OK for us but I am pleased we hadn't deployed our systems on Mandrake, for example. As part of this policy it states that "our future direction is to support enterprise versions only for major Informix releases." Now I have just checked and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server comes in at �599+VAT. OK, big deal but it effectively raises the outlay required for IDS per server by that amount. One of the ways our company can justify IDS over SQL Server 2000 (there are other reasons as well) is that we save money by not having to buy Windows 2000 Server. The whole budget can be spent on the DBMS. As we are experienced with Informix and rarely call technical support and when we do it is it's invariably a bug we could maybe continue to use SuSE Linux 9.0 if that was still possible. It does strike me as a slightly ill-thought move to effectively increase the price in this way. You might say an enterprise database requires an enterprise OS but to me these are only really labels. Anyone else care to comment? Ben. "Ben Thompson" <ben@nomonitorsoftspam.com> wrote in message news:10cbqbhjtvm2aa1@corp.supernews.com......

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

Re: Informix support for Linux
Captain Pedantic said: > "Data Goob" <datagoob@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:6eYxc.8135$127.5769@fe41.usenetserver.com... > >> On the flip side there are some other Linux distros you should keep >> your eye on... The next step >> is in getting your boot cd's working, stop by Knoppix, Syslinux, or even >> the crazy rasta Dyne:Bolic and learn how to get your own bootable cd >> working. Knoppix seems to be taking the lead on the loop file system, >> something every Linux geek should know about. > > Do you get out much? Apart from the walks where he is accompanied by men in white coats, you mean? -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html sending to informix-list ...

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

[News] Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
Palm OS Clings To Life ,----[ Quote ] | Access, a mobile software company in Japan that acquired PalmSource, | the maker of the Palm OS, plans to introduce in the first half of | this year its Access Linux Platform, which will include an emulation | layer for running Palm OS-based applications. The company this week | announced it's renaming all products that originally had Palm-based | names. The first product to be renamed is Palm OS, which will be | known as Garnet OS. `---- http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?articleId=197000527 -- List of candidate M...

[News] [Linux] Laptops No Longer "Work With" Linux, They Just Come With It
Why I Don't Want a Laptop That Can Run Linux ,----[ Quote ] | So at home, do I want a laptop that can work with Linux? | | No. | | I'm interested in one that does. Flawlessly. | | [...] | | You could get a One Hundred would be from a Linux OEM. System76 has | shipped Ubuntu One Hundred?s for a while. Dell recently announced | laptops that shipped with Ubuntu, but have had problems with their | first round of Linux hardware. | | But in 2007, after a solid decade of interest in Linux on the | desktop, decent companies paying people to write open source | drivers, there quite a...

"Linux" vs "GNU/Linux"
Found this interesting transcript <http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html> of a talk given by Richard Stallman while he was over in the West Island recently. Among other things, he explains why he wants people to use the term "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux" when referring to the operating system: However after people started using essentially the GNU system with Linux added, and called it Linux, it no longer led then to the philosophy associated with GNU - the philosophy of free software. Instead o...

[News] "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"?
The "GNU/Linux" and "Linux" Controversy ,----[ Quote ] | (Column) - This famous controversy is there ever since I became aware of | operating systems known as GNU/Linux. The GNU General Public License (GPL), | which is used by Linux as well as most GNU software, armors both | characters. `---- http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Well, i think, Linus Torvalds did another troll statement. -----BEGIN...

Web resources about - Core i7 laptop that supports high-resolution 27" external monitor and built-in-screen simultaneously - comp.os.linux.portable

High-resolution scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harten, A. (1983), High Resolution Schemes for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws. J. Comput. Phys ., 49 :357–393. Hirsch, C. (1990), Numerical Computation ...

Facebook Stresses High-Resolution Images, Bookmarks To App Developers For New News Feed
A common theme in Facebook’s suggestions for how to adapt to the revamped news feed it introduced Thursday is the redesign’s emphasis on photos ...

Facebook Allows High Resolution Photos, Bulk Tagging, and Makes More Improvements to Photos
Today Facebook begins rolling out multiple improvements to its photos product. Users will be able to upload and download high resolution photos, ...

High resolution scan of Gutenberg Bible posted on-line
The Bodleian Libraries of the University of Oxford and the Vatican Library have joined together to digitize their collection of ancient texts. ...

Fotor HDR – HDR Camera & High Resolution Images Creator on the App Store on iTunes
Get Fotor HDR – HDR Camera & High Resolution Images Creator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Nokia Lumia 1020 high resolution - a set on Flickr
This set features the high resolution photos from my Nokia Lumia 1020. I used Nokia Photo Transfer on an iMac most of the time to get these off ...

Skybox Imaging Captures World's First High-Resolution, HD Video of Earth from Space (1080p HD) - YouTube ...
*Click on the 1080p HD and full screen toggle to see this video in full resolution. We are pleased to introduce the world's first high-resolution ...

CES 2015: Sony's Walkman makes a return with high-resolution audio, costs $1485
Sony is bringing back the Walkman, with a new model of the music player pioneer that comes with high-resolution playback and Bluetooth-connected ...

NASA releases stunning high resolution images of Mars
NASA releases stunning high resolution images of Mars

NASA releases first high-resolution colour images taken on Mars by rover Curiosity
NEWS.com.au NASA releases first high-resolution colour images taken on Mars by rover Curiosity NEWS.com.au NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has ...