How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege?

I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an
external parallel port floppy drive with it.  I run slackware
10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is
functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the
floppy drive connected to the parallel port - I assume it
looks for it at the standard diskette drive port, which is not
the parallel port on this system.

Any way to make it work?

Gianni

0
gian3000it (19)
6/22/2006 4:46:24 PM
comp.os.linux.portable 1227 articles. 0 followers. larwe (1373) is leader. Post Follow

gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
> I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an
> external parallel port floppy drive with it.  I run slackware
> 10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is
> functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the
> floppy drive connected to the parallel port - I assume it
> looks for it at the standard diskette drive port, which is not
> the parallel port on this system.
>
> Any way to make it work?
>
> Gianni

The BIOS is set to look for the external diskette drive at a
port other than LPR1. It's a fixed setting that apparently
cannot be modified by accessing the BIOS the
standard way.  Is there a way to tell the BIOS (or linux)
to look for the floppy drive at LPR1?

Thanks,
Gianni

0
gian3000it
6/24/2006 2:54:39 PM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.portable.]
On 24 Jun 2006 07:54:39 -0700, gian3000it@yahoo.it
  <gian3000it@yahoo.it> wrote:
> gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
>> I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an
>> external parallel port floppy drive with it.  I run slackware
>> 10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is
>> functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the
>> floppy drive connected to the parallel port - I assume it
>> looks for it at the standard diskette drive port, which is not
>> the parallel port on this system.
>>
>> Any way to make it work?
>>
>> Gianni
>
> The BIOS is set to look for the external diskette drive at a
> port other than LPR1. It's a fixed setting that apparently
> cannot be modified by accessing the BIOS the
> standard way.  Is there a way to tell the BIOS (or linux)
> to look for the floppy drive at LPR1?

In the BIOS setup you have to choose whether the parallel port is used
for a printer or a floppy or disabled.

--
BOFH excuse #347:

The rubber band broke
0
Bill
6/24/2006 10:38:12 PM
Bill Marcum wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.portable.]
> On 24 Jun 2006 07:54:39 -0700, gian3000it@yahoo.it
>   <gian3000it@yahoo.it> wrote:
> > gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
> > The BIOS is set to look for the external diskette drive at a
> > port other than LPR1. It's a fixed setting that apparently
> > cannot be modified by accessing the BIOS the
> > standard way.  Is there a way to tell the BIOS (or linux)
> > to look for the floppy drive at LPR1?
> >
> In the BIOS setup you have to choose whether the parallel port is used
> for a printer or a floppy or disabled.

In the BIOS, at Parallel Port Mode, I have only two choices: "Std.
Bi-Direct" and "ECP."  I tried switching to ECP, but at Floppy
Disk I/O I still get "Floppy Disk = (3F2H/IRQ6/CH2)" just as it
was before - that is the port other than LPR1, and it is still a
fixed value, non-changeable.

0
gian3000it
6/26/2006 4:44:48 PM
gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
> In the BIOS, at Parallel Port Mode, I have only two choices: "Std.
> Bi-Direct" and "ECP."  I tried switching to ECP, but at Floppy
> Disk I/O I still get "Floppy Disk = (3F2H/IRQ6/CH2)" just as it
> was before - that is the port other than LPR1, and it is still a
> fixed value, non-changeable.

OK, that was under Peripherals. Under I/O Ports I do get four
choices for Parallel Port: LPR1, LPR2, LPR3 and disable.
But not a choice for external diskette drive.

0
gian3000it