install snort on laptop using dhcp

I know you can install snort on laptop, but what if i take the laptop to di=
fferent networks (ect. mcdonalds hotspot) in the setup of snort it ask for =
an ip for example 192.168.1.2/32. If my laptop looks for a dhcp address how=
 would i set this up or what would i look for when searching the web

running Ubuntu 12.04
=20

thanks

hope this makes sense
0
nathanbrandt09
8/6/2012 6:51:06 PM
comp.os.linux.portable 1227 articles. 0 followers. larwe (1373) is leader. Post Follow

Linux on laptop: using touchpad makes system freeze (3 different users, 3 different laptops, 1 crappy OS)
"I have exactly the same probleme than elgaelo and porksome. ie: using my touchpad makes Hardy freeze if no external mouse is connected..." #7, #14, #15 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=779231&highlight=freezes&page=2 Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such problems." ...

Installing linux on desktop using my laptop as console
Hi, I bought a new mini-itx system. It has nothing installed. I also dont have a keyboard and monitor to attach to it to install RedHat. What I have is my XP laptop that I am wondering if it is possible to hook to the mini-itx to use as console to install RH. Mini-itx has a CD/DVD drive, along with standard monitor connectors and parallel and serial ports. The easiest way to use my laptop as a console to this mini-itx system ????? thanks In advance for your comments. J.L. John Lukar said the following, on 07/27/04 23:54: > > I bought a new mini-itx syste...

using an os x laptop as a Solaris install server
Hi, I have obtained the sol-nv-b110-sparc-dvd.iso and mounted it on my os x laptop. Before running .../Solaris_11/Tools/setup_install_server, as I understand I must from reading the Sol 10 documentation on installing from an install server on the lan, is this possible? I am trying to do a clean install on a Blade 1500 (now running Sol 10), and in the past, the dvds I burn on the os x machine have not been recognized by the Blade. Is this (install server on os x) a bad idea? Or, should it work ok? Thank you, Paul In article <9b1cb87e-4507-481e-b6a6-c4a56c1ca8d9@z1g2000yqn.googlegroups...

Install OS on laptop from another laptop?
I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it need a special (null?) cable? I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) attached to it. Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned...

Linux release notes: "use caution when installing on Samsung laptops"
"Known Issues Installation Booting the Ubuntu installer in UEFI mode from a USB disk on certain Samsung laptops (530U3C, NP700Z5C) may trigger a firmware bug that renders the machine unbootable. Users are advised to use caution when installing on Samsung laptops and ensure that they are configured for legacy BIOS mode, not UEFI mode. (1040557)" https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop Only Linux hobbyware has Release Notes which warn you about bricking your expensive laptop just by booting the OS. "DFS" <nospam@dfs...

Used Laptop Compaq Portable OS/2 MSDOS $9000.00 NEW@@
http://search.ebay.com/140375506397 Go figure. Louis Ohland wrote: > > http://search.ebay.com/140375506397 > > Go figure. I think the price is $199.00 he is asking for. However it is hard to believe that in 1991 this laptop cost 9000 dollars. EZoto On Jan 19, 9:40 pm, EZoto <xeuclid...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Louis Ohland wrote: > > >http://search.ebay.com/140375506397 > > > Go figure. > > I think the price is $199.00 he is asking for. However it is hard to > believe that in 1991 this laptop cost 9000 dollars. > ...

Using Motorola E680 Linux cellphone as modem for Linux laptop
My problem is to figure out how to use a Motorola E680 cellphone, which runs Trolltech Linux, and can function as a dialup USB modem, using Windows, to provide wireless access to the Internet, can be used as a modem with a laptop running Linux (in this case Mepis Debian 3.3, but that doesn't seem to matter). I have tried kppp and wvdial to no avail. What does work is to boot the laptop under Windows, and run a Motorola-supplied program called GPRSManager which issues dialup commands to the phone creating what I presume is a ppp connection. That works fine. I can browse, send and receive e...

[News] [Linux] Another Wireless Solution Uses Linux-based OS
Aerohive Courts Controller-less WiFi ,----[ Quote ] | One startup is trying to get rid of the controller to save customers | some important dollars. | | [...] | | Aerohive's cooperative control access point is called the HiveAP 20 | ag and runs HiveOS on top of standard hardware and a standard Linux | kernel. . Flynn explained that HiveOS is based on Linux, with | Aerohive sprinkling in some features for good measure. `---- http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3676391 ...

If I installed Linux on my laptop...
.... this is what I would get: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXCUKAvjnY?> -- Slimer Proud "wintroll" Encrypt. ...

Which Linux OS should I install
I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's, but I couldn't get any of them to work. Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My skill level is quite amateurish. Thanks Jeff P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. I...

[News] Video Proves That Linux Installation Easier Than OS X, Vista Installation
Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX, | and Ubuntu. `---- http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI Very recent items that support this: Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps ,----[ Quote ] | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on | Windows or the Mac OS. | | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they&...

How do I get the process id when starting a process using os.popen2 or os.popen3 on linux?
Is there a way to get the process id when starting a process using os.popen2 or os.popen3 on linux? Mike mikem76@gmail.com wrote: > Is there a way to get the process id when starting a process using > os.popen2 or os.popen3 on linux? on Unix, os.popen2/popen3 uses functions and classes from the popen2 module. they return file objects attached to the process, but there's no (non-hacky) way to get at the process itself. if you need more control over the subprocess, you can use the classes in the popen2 module, or, better, the subprocess module. </F> ...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

Can I use executables built using Appbuilder (windows version) on Linux with installed runtime engine?
Hi, I need to develop test routines for an ATE tester running Linux OS that does not have LabVIEW installed. I will be building my project using a windows version of LabVIEW&nbsp;and build executables using the appbuilder. Can I use these executables that I built in windows&nbsp; assuming I installed the correct runtime engine in the linux platform? FYI, I need to develop the test routines on an IMS Vanguard 500 ATE. Thanks. ...

SN#18864 Sun Installation Assistant Easily Installs Linux, Windows OS on Sun x64 Servers
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 116 Issue 5 2007-10-29 Article 18864 from section "SysAdmin's Section" How-To Guide Demonstrates in Just 12 Steps Installing supported Linux and Windows onto Sun x64 servers is easy with the Sun Installation Assistant (SIA). Just boot from the SIA CD or a local network copy of SIA, then choose the required OS from the list in the graphical menu and follow the installation instructions. The Sun SIA team has posted a brief how-to guide on using the installation tool so viewers can see just how effortless it really is. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=18864 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2005 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Can I use Mac OS 9.0.4 imac DV install cd to reinstall os on ibook
Can I use Mac OS 9.0.4 imac DV install cd as oppose to its Software restore I want to Reinstall OS 9 And I have Macos 9.0.4 on Imac DV install (not restore) discs. Ibook G3 300mhz Clamshell owner <mmfphotodude@hotmail.com> wrote: > Can I use Mac OS 9.0.4 imac DV install cd as oppose to its Software > restore I want to Reinstall OS 9 And I have Macos 9.0.4 on Imac DV > install (not restore) discs. Almost certainly not. If you try it, the CD might not even boot on an iBook. If it does boot, the installer will refuse to proceed. It is sometimes technically possibl...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrot...

Negroponte wants to dump linux and make Windows the sole OS on the OLPC laptop
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080422/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2 <quote> For about a year, however, Microsoft has been working to get a slimmed-down version of Windows to run on XO laptops. As a result, Negroponte said Tuesday that he expects XOs to soon have a "dual-boot" option, meaning users would be able to run Windows or Sugar. Eventually, Negroponte added, Windows might be the sole operating system, and Sugar would be educational software running on top of it. That might disappoint advocates of open-source software who helped bankroll OLPC and cheered the challeng...

How to Install New OS on my Laptop
Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix 6250 with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory in it (I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I last gave up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports. None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia n...

How to Install New OS on my Laptop
Okay I think I have one of the weirdest beasts of the laptop world, and I want to put a new operating system in it. Okay my system is an Itronix 6250 with a zippy 200Mhz processor, and I think it has 48 megs of memory in it (I'm not sure, can't find the adapter right now, long time since I last gave up on it). Yes sir, this unit has No Floppy disk, No Cdrom, No USB ports. None of that candy and fluff that most laptops have nowadays. It's just a plain Parallel Port, Serial Port, VGA Port, Built in 33.6 modem, and the pride of laptops, two 16-bit PCMCIA slots. For my multimedia n...

[News] VoIP Startup Uses Linux; Truphone Uses Linux
Mobile Phones VoIP services start-up uses Open-Source Technology ,----[ Quote ] | Recently, I came across a start-up company offering VoIP services for | mobile phones. Apparently, they have built the service using almost | exclusively open-source technology, such as Asterisk PBX, Debian | GNU/Linux and MySQL. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/85666/index.html There's also this one: ,----[ Quote ] | Truphone is the world's first software only network operator - the few | pieces of hardware we need we buy online from the same well-known | manufacturers as everyone else. No...

Which laptops are no-nos for installing Linux ..
Hi, Newbie here.Was thinking of buying a new laptop and partitioning it with Win Xp (or some other version) on one partition and Linux on the other (about 20GB of each) . Want to use the Linux partition mainly to run my C,FORTRAN codes. Any suggestions on what type of processors/comps to *avoid*? Any help on this would be highly appreciated Thanks, Balaji On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:01:34 -0800, Balaji Srinivasan staggered into the Black Sun and said: > Newbie here.Was thinking of buying a new laptop and partitioning it > with Win Xp (or some other version) on one partition and Linux on the...

Which Linux flavor to use on a laptop?
I have a laptop Sony Viao PCG-GRV670 (Intel 2.6ghz P4 w/1gb memory and 60gb partition on a 120gb hard drive) that I would like to configure with Linux. But since I am new to Linux, I'm not too sure which flavor of Linux would be best. I want to do a little bit of Linux investigation. I do some basic programming and scripting. I also have a home network with a few other PC w/MS Windoz and one Sun Blade 150 w/Solaris 10 loaded. Any recommendations on which distribution to use? Thanks, Mike On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 03:34:50 -0700, msargent100 wrote: > I have a laptop Sony Viao PCG-GR...

Web resources about - install snort on laptop using dhcp - comp.os.linux.portable

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

NowGaming on Apple TV: Which games should I install first?
... and help you narrow down the choices even further by giving you my take on the titles. This week, Ill be looking at the First Games to Install ...

Wattway will install 600 miles of solar roads in France
Filed under: Green , Plants/Manufacturing , Europe , Solar France's Colas says each kilometer along the "Wattway" can power 5,000 homes.

Extensify lets you install tweaks on your iPhone without a jailbreak
One of the many benefits of jailbreaking an iPhone is the ability to install various tweaks, customizing the smartphone experience far beyond ...

Snapchat has run its first app-install ad — a big sign the app is revving up its monetization engines ...
Snapchat ran its first app-install ad on Thursday, Adweek reported . The ad, for SNG-owned mobile game "Cookie Jam," ran within the iHeartRadio ...

SolarCity Installs 870 MW In 2015, But Slow Guidance For Q1’16
America’s dominant solar provider, SolarCity, has revealed it installed 870 MW in 2015, up 73% from 2014 figures. However, in an effort to provide ...