Live-boot. Persistence not working with image file.

Package: live-boot
 Version: 4.0~a13-1_all

 persistence not working with image file
 test configuration
 Partition: Labeled: live-os
 formated as: ext4
 file name: persistence
 size: 512MByte
 formated as: ext2 filesystem
 echo "/home" > ./persistence.conf

 bootparameter: persistence

 When booting the system does not connect file "persistence."
 Persistence mode is not working. Tried to 3.0.1-1 then 4.0~a13-1_all,
everywhere
 one and the same result. Connect a section labeled "persistence" has
 turned out, the regime persistence works. Since the file does not work, try and
 ext2/3/4 - no result.
 Help please, how do you properly connect a file persistent?
 And excuse me for a curve English ;-)

 best regards Max Smit

 OS: Ubuntu 13.04
 Architecture: x86

 Kernel: Linux 3.8.0-26-generic
 Locale: LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
0
miramax166
7/17/2013 11:25:40 AM
comp.os.linux.portable 1227 articles. 0 followers. larwe (1373) is leader. Post Follow

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

Installing Mac OS 9 on linux (MOL) with disk image file
Hi! Do you know about a howto concerning the installation of OS 9 in conjunction with MOL / Linux in an existing Linux / OS X environment? I have Debian Woody with MOL, so I can boot the preinstalled OS X under Linux. However, I would like to be able to boot OS9, while I don't really want to repartition (and corrupt my existing OS X and Linux installations). So it would be nice to install OS 9 into a loopback device (hdd-image file). Is it possible and is there anybody out there who has done this? TIA+CU Lars. ...

Live USB won't boot because of full persistent image
I had a Fedora20 Live USB stick I use periodically, and it had persistant storage (~1 Gig) that I managed to accidentally fill up (stupid me, I ignored some warnings). Unfortunately, it stopped booting after that and falls to an emergecy dracut shell complaining that it cannot mount the root file system. After some Googling I find that this dire side effect is apparantly known & the persistent image if full flags itself as corrupted. 'dmsetup status' says: live-rw 0 8388608 snapshot Invalid How do I fix this? Any ideas? If more logs help I can post them. dracut does have an "rd.live.overlay.reset" option on the kernel commandline but that will just wipe out the persistent data (I think). That's very silly. Not sure what's the point. At that stage might as well do a fresh Live USB install. PS. I've been trying to follow these thread's related reccomendations without much luck: (1) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.devel/14644 (2) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveOS_image#Merge_overlay_into_new_image (2) gives this promising fix: # echo $'\x01' | dd of=/path/to/overlay-file bs=1 count=1 seek=4 conv=notrunc But I'm a bit lost what that path should be. Both /mnt/live/LiveOS/overlay-devicename-discUUID & /media/devicename/LiveOS/overlay-devicename-discUUID are absent on my system. On 06/01/2014 07:00 AM, Rahul wrote: > I ha...

Windows 8 live boot: "boot and overall speed were far superior to any Linux live distribution I have ever tested"
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/248654/8-best-innovations-windows-8-borrowed-linux Microsoft must've paid her to say that, right cola idiots? The author also claims Win8 borrows live OS booting from Linux. Horseshit. Live CDs were not a Linux creation: "The first live CD was FM Towns OS first released in 1989." 3-9 years before the first Linux LiveCD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD ...

Validating an Image file is an image file
I know how to validate a file based only on the file name dot extension, but this seems wholly insecure to me. I feel that just testing for .jpg, .png, .jpeg, .gif, etc... is not enough. Clearly renaming a file to anything at all is easy to do. How can I read into the file and check to see if it is is actually a file of a given image type? Is there file header info to look for ? Such as a particular byte sequence at a particular location in the file? John Joyce El Jul 18, 2007, a las 4:25 PM, John Joyce escribi=F3: > I know how to validate a file based only on the file name dot =20 > extension, but this seems wholly insecure to me. > I feel that just testing for .jpg, .png, .jpeg, .gif, etc... is not =20= > enough. > Clearly renaming a file to anything at all is easy to do. > How can I read into the file and check to see if it is is actually =20 > a file of a given image type? Is there file header info to look for ? The canonical solution is to delegate to this library: http://grub.ath.cx/filemagic/ -- fxn On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Wayne E. Seguin wrote: > On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:25 , John Joyce wrote: >> I know how to validate a file based only on the file name dot >> extension, but this seems wholly insecure to me. >> I feel that just testing for .jpg, .png, .jpeg, .gif, etc... is >> not enough. >> Clearly renaming a file to anything at all is easy to do. >> How can I read into the file...

Creating Disk Image that works on OS 9 & OS X
My Carbon application has a Mach-O Framework embedded in its bundle. I created the framework to get at one Mach-O only function and it works well. But, the problem comes when distributing this app. Originally, I just created a stuffit archive and distributed this way. This works fine for OS 9 (which doesn't need to call the Mach-O Framework). But under OS X, it fails because the symbolic links to the various components of my framework aren't set up properly when unstuffing the data. So, I created a disk image using Disk Copy under OS X, and everything is fine again -- it must fix the symbolilc links when the file is copied from the disk image. The problem is that I can't make one file that works for everyone (i.e., I'm left with a stuffit file for OS 9 users, a disk image for OS X). I tried creating the disk image under OS 9, but the OS 9 version of Disk Copy doesn't seem to like the symbolic links inside the framework either. (It discards them...) Is there a way to solve this? I'd really like to have one file that everyone can use to install this software. Many thanks in advance, Mark In article <troika-A5C9AB.09033508072003@reader1.panix.com>, Mark Coniglio <troika@panix.com> wrote: > I tried creating the disk image under OS 9, but the OS 9 version of Disk > Copy doesn't seem to like the symbolic links inside the framework > either. (It discards them...) > > Is ...

boot a OS from linux
Hi, I have to check a sign on a crypted FS in a usb-key and then, after autenthication, boot a OS. I need a library to read in that FS and so I cannot boot directly from a loader (grub, lilo ). I think I can create a small linux distribution but I don't' know how to boot a new OS after the authentication... any suggestions ? (I cannot spend days & days to read the lilo or grub sources .. :-)) tnx, empo empedocle wrote: > Hi, > I have to check a sign on a crypted FS in a usb-key and then, after > autenthication, boot a OS. I need a library to read in that FS a...

Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files
I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics). Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load these later, that's not a big deal). In short, what will the below files allow me to do? Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do, in your mind's eye. Read the...

including .specification files (or other "dot" files) in Rake Package on Linux/Mac OS X
I've found that my instantiation of the Rake Package task for packaging up a Rails app isn't including the '.specification' files in the '/vendor/gems/**/*' pattern. I've recreated this on Linux and Mac OS X. It seems the issue is that the files, which are copied from their origin to the target folder, are missing the files. I'm guessing this is because of the underlying copy commands, but haven't dug into it yet. Has anyone else run into this? Is there anyway to get Rake to pickup '.specification' or any other "dot" files? ...

Problems booting in OS X after booting in OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, everything s...

Problems booting OS X after booting OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, everything s...

Problems booting OS X after booting in OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, ev...

Reading Image files in Linux
Hi all.. I tired to read a JPEG and BMP image by using the code - ImageReader fromFile:'path'---- in operating system Linux(Fedora Core 6) in Visual works. eg: (ImageReader fromFile:'/root/image006.jpg')image ( ImageReader fromFile:'/root/image006.bmp')image but i am not getting these images read correctly in Linux , but in Windows Operating system it is reading correctly and working fine. I can read GIF image correctly by using the same code in Linux. Is there any other way for reading JPEG and BMP images in Linux operating system?. HTH Aru...

Print to image file on linux?
Has anyone already setup all the necessary config files for defining a "printer" on linux under CUPS that actually just runs ghostscript to generate a series of .png files to a directory? I think I have the necessary ghostscript command working the way I want it, but I was hoping to avoid learning all the ins and outs of .ppd files and where they fit into CUPS. If someone else has already done this, I'd love to get the setup from you to avoid undue strain on my brain :-). Thanks. ...

Linux OS only dual boot
I am a newby to Linux and I have a computer which is only dedicated to Linux OS. There are many postings all over with people who have done dual boot with a MS os and Linux but none that I have found that do it this way. It must be common knowledge among Linux users so not even discussed. I have a computer with 30gb with Lindows 4.0 preinstalled and a new 80gb hd with Mepis that I installed. The hds are selected by a Trios II PLus HD selector before boot up. I would like to install more than one linux os on the 80gb since I have plenty of room. I can then try to find an os which I am happy with. I am presently a W98 user and not very geeky so try not to overwhelm me with Linux terminology. I know many Linux people have found out answers like this by hacking away until they get it. I prefer not to try to reinvent whe wheel and find someone who has done this type of dual boot. I am sure they are out there. Thank you. Richard On 5 Apr 2004 07:38:13 -0700 gagnonrchrd@netscape.net (Richard Gagnon) wrote: > I am a newby to Linux and I have a computer which is only dedicated to > Linux OS. There are many postings all over with people who have done > dual boot with a MS os and Linux but none that I have found that do it > this way. It must be common knowledge among Linux users so not even > discussed. I have a computer with 30gb with Lindows 4.0 preinstalled > and a new 80gb hd with Mepis that I installed. The hds are selected by > a...

working with raw image files
I am working on some medical image data, and I try to look into specific slice of 3d *.raw image. I know voxels are 16 bit int, and dimensions are 352*470*96. I checked it in some pro medical image viewer, it is alright. However, with the code I use, I display just white noise image.(but worked well for other, 8bit raw image). Also, printed size is half the original size, like it was 8 bit. I read some documentations on PIL, numpy etc but I think I just do not understand something. I open image data set, I change it to array, give it dimensions, dtype, and change it to image, right? I thin...

Internet live booting of Linux
Or, as promoted here: http://vamosproject.org/InternetBoot ...

BCP out image files not working
We have a table in our SQL2005 db with a varbinary(max) column in it. In this field we store images and pdfs that the user has uploaded in our .net 2.0 web app. I'm attempting to get the images out via sql using the bcp utility (-n option for preserving native format). The bcp command is not failing. The image file is being created correctly (filename and file size are intact). Opening the image results in a "Preview not available" message. BCP'ing out the PDFs in the exact same fashion works a treat. Any ideas how to bcp out images? Or alternatives to bcp? Thanks!! Jon I...

FTP is not working with rom image, but working with ram image... MPC852???
Hello, I'm working on a custom board based on mpc852. I added the code below to test the using of ftp on vxworks. iam("vxworks","vxworks"); netDevCreate("ohm:","192.0.1.59",1); dataFd = open("ohm:myfile.txt",O_RDONLY,0); if (dataFd == NULL) logMsg("Cannot open \n",0,0,0,0,0,0); while ((num = read (dataFd, buf, sizeof (buf))) > 0); Then I used visionICE to load the ram image to the target. As I espect, everything works fine. But the problem comes when I build the same code with rom_copy parameter. ...

Linux Boot-up Log file Where is?
Linux Boot-up Log file Where is? Hi there. Moving from win98SE to SuSE 9.1 Pro. When Linux boots I hit F2 and can see what to Windblows is like the bootlog.txt file. Is this saved somewhere where it can be perused to help a guy sort out some winmodem issues etc? I can see it recognizes my modem with the Linuxant drivers installed but it scrolls by too fast to see for sure what's going on. Have a ton of HowTos etc. Just a few more clues and I may have an idea what the heck's going on. :0) Once I get that modem on-line I hope to be able to get my NVidia 3D working by using ...

working with files the linux way...
OK, I have been writting applications for various OS's now for many years, and I know that there are 'good' and 'bad' methods of doing seeming trivial operations in each OS. Generally, the 'good' solution is more portable, more robust, and more secure. Such is my quest for writting hardened applications, I frequently revisit these basics to ensure that I am using the most approved methods. Enough with the introduction, here is my seemingly trivial question: In Linux, what is the 'recommended' method of verifying a file name string variable cont...

Information passed from OS/2 Master Boot Record ( MBR ) to OS/2 Bootmanager ( BMGR ) to OS/2 Partition Boot Record ?
Hello, I am working on the problem to boot from USB Mass Storage Device. The results and open problems has been documented at Howto Boot OS/2 - eCs from USB Mass Storage Devices ( MSD ) - English Version - Wiki http://p2066.typo3server.info/wiki-usb-boot-en.html The following information is needed for the project: Information passed from OS/2 Master Boot Record ( MBR ) to OS/2 Bootmanager ( BMGR ) to OS/2 Partition Boot Record ? The OS/2 MBR tests for I13X support and pass this information via flag at memory segment 3000:0000 (0030:0000). That informa...

BackupEdge boot and filesystem image files
I keep boot and filesystem floppy disks for all my customer systems at my office so when a hard drive fails I dont't have to worry about finding the disks on-site. I checked some of my disks recently and realized I cannot read some of them so I need to re-create them. I want to dial into the sites, create the diskette images and transfer them to my system where I can create the floppies. I believe I read in this group a few years ago that is was possible to create a image of these disks instead of the actual disks themselves. I *think* it had something to do with a ramdisk. The remote ...

Actuall I am a LINUX dipschit who has to work for a living!
I will try this again. I am at work and have to install xp pro on a bunch of dell's and none of the disks that came with the things are to be found and I have tried dells site and the drivers do not all of the drivers seem to work. On 4 Jul 2006 17:55:00 -0700, BradShoults@gmail.com wrote: > I will try this again. I am at work and have to install xp pro on a > bunch of dell's and none of the disks that came with the things are to > be found and I have tried dells site and the drivers do not all of the > drivers seem to work. So what's the problem, go down to a comput...

Web resources about - Live-boot. Persistence not working with image file. - comp.os.linux.portable

The Persistence of Memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the painting by Salvador Dalí. For the novel by Tony Eprile, see The Persistence of Memory (novel) . For the novel by Amelia ...

Persistence - Goal and Habit Motivator on the App Store on iTunes
Get Persistence - Goal and Habit Motivator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Macbook Pro Retina Display Temporary Image Persistence Issue (Burn-In) - YouTube
After displaying a high-contrast image, e.g. black and white, for a few minutes, the retina display retains a ghost image for a few minutes (temporary ...

The ultimate journey of persistence for injury-ravaged sprinters Brandan Galic and Brendan Matthwes
Coach Matt Beckenham describes them as the &quot;ultimate story of persistence&quot;, but Brandan Galic and Brendan Matthews were prepared to ...

Neoconservatives despair over US persistence with diplomacy
They argue that America should be going after Syria and Iran, which are Israel's enemies but also the enemies of the US, writes Michael Gawenda. ...

The remarkable persistence of power and privilege
A new study finds social status rippling across the centuries

Persistence pays off for Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Damien Cook
Damien Cook always thought he'd figure prominently in Canterbury's playoff campaign.

CPC leadership stress persistence in "mass-line" campaign
CPC leadership stress persistence in "mass-line" campaign People's Daily Online "The ultimate score of the campaign is subject to people's ...

The Persistence of Gay Memory - Advocate.com
The question of whether or not former Tennessee congressman Harold E. Ford Jr. will challenge incumbent Kirsten Gillibrand for the Democratic ...

Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays
This article explains how to avoid image persistence on certain Apple displays, and describes the unique characteristics of IPS display technology. ...