portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device?

Hi!

I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
(I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
to the rooooots^^).

Since I want to replace my PalmOS PDAs with a device with big or huge
display (well, bigger as LifeDrive and even huger than HTC Advantage
X7500) I wanted to figure out, how I can determine a Linux to be ...
PDA-like:

I am looking for the device to turn on instantly - instant on without
booting it everytime.

Can You give me an advise in this? Can I do this with a common linux
or do I need a special one? Or do I have to get a real PDA-device for
the instant on feature?

Would be nice to hear from You.

CU, forcemaker

comp.os.linux.portable 1227 articles. 0 followers. larwe (1373) is leader. Post Follow

On 27 Oct, 17:34, forcemaker <forcema...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
> (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
> to the rooooots^^).

Well, there is the Pepper Pad, although application support is poor
and it lacks interfaces.
Then there are the Archos devices - the 430 has some PDA like features
and can act as a host to external USB devices.

Neither of them are, well err.. wonderful.  But both are fun.

0
robertharvey
11/13/2007 4:45:29 PM
Am 27.10.2007 19:34, forcemaker schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
> (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
> to the rooooots^^).
>
> Can You give me an advise in this? Can I do this with a common linux
> or do I need a special one? Or do I have to get a real PDA-device for
> the instant on feature?

Why, it this is currently discussed in a parallel thread starting from:

   From: Peter Flynn <peter.nosp@m.silmaril.ie>
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.os.linux.portable
   Subject: Recent Linux PDA?
   Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:50:56 +0100

VR
0
Visvanath
12/24/2007 11:21:25 AM
forcemaker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
> (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
> to the rooooots^^).
>
> Since I want to replace my PalmOS PDAs with a device with big or huge
> display (well, bigger as LifeDrive and even huger than HTC Advantage
> X7500) I wanted to figure out, how I can determine a Linux to be ...
> PDA-like:

ATM I'm using a Nokia 770. It's a nice internet tablet with a 800x480
display. You might want to look into the new Nokia N810 which also has
an integrated webcam, gps receiver and slide-down keyboard. The keyboard
is very nice, because now you can compile your software without having
to worry about the XKBD compatibility for the onscreen keyboard.

> I am looking for the device to turn on instantly - instant on without
> booting it everytime.

Well... The nokia does have a decent standby time, provided you switch
off Wifi an bluetooth. And when the displays switches itself off, the
standby time can last a few days.

> Can You give me an advise in this? Can I do this with a common linux
> or do I need a special one? Or do I have to get a real PDA-device for
> the instant on feature?

The Nokia runs Maemo, which is a trimmed down debian with a nice
customized matchbox interface. Afaik, that's the only linux available
for it. But I'm trying to compile my own little bootstrap with CLFS.

> Would be nice to hear from You.
>
> CU, forcemaker

0
Jurgen