access linux partitions from mac os and opposite

Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition
(YDL 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk?

And what about the other way?

Knottulf

0
knottulf (8)
1/5/2004 11:57:33 AM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

H Birkeland <knottulf@yahoo.no> wrote:

> Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition (YDL
> 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk?

I don't think Linux and Darwin use quite the same variant of UFS.

> And what about the other way?

Linux can read HFS+.

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Fan of Woody Allen

> Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition
> (YDL 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk?

What partition type - ext2, ext3 or reiser? Try to google for 'FreeBSD
mount $fs_type'

> And what about the other way?

'cat /proc/filesystems' and '/sbin/lsmod' should show a line with
'ufs' both - if not try to load the module with /sbin/modprobe ufs.
Then you should able to mount the volume(s) with the type specifier
'ufs' and the appropriate ufstype option ('44bsd' for a BSD-like OS).

HTH

Tilman Heinrich

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.
H Birkeland wrote:

> Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition
> (YDL 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk?

If you want to share a mutually writable partition, use HFS

--
Copyright 2004 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are
> If you want to share a mutually writable partition, use HFS

Isn�t HFS+ R/W-able for linux?

Hallvard

0
knottulf (8)

H Birkeland a �crit :
>> If you want to share a mutually writable partition, use HFS
>

> Isn�t HFS+ R/W-able for linux?

Yes hfs and hfsplus *are* R/W-able for Linux. For 2.4.x  (recent kernels
only) . hfs since a long time. hfsplus since nearly one or two month
(don't remember exactly )

For 2.6.x , only 2.6.0 can do this, because hfs is broken in
2.6.1rc1-ben1 (hfsplus works properly).

Regards, eric

--
NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. See / Voir
http://swpat.ffii.org/

eric bachard

0
ericb
1/7/2004 3:11:45 PM
H Birkeland wrote:

>> If you want to share a mutually writable partition, use HFS
>
> Isn?t HFS+ R/W-able for linux?
>
> Hallvard

MAYBE... if there's a new version that doesn't corrupt data...
a few months ago there was no such version... I haven't tracked it.

--
Copyright 2004 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are
private between the parties. http://www.kahealani.com/
0
angela (65)
1/7/2004 10:27:06 PM
> What partition type - ext2, ext3 or reiser? Try to google for 'FreeBSD
> mount $fs_type'

ext3

Now at least I have made a successful mount in osx of the ufs volume
with http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx v.1.0.1 (haven�t tried
writing yet due to permission problems).
At first I had an errormsg that the volume could not be mounted because
of verifications error. So I booted up and closed down linux, and
afterwords it seems to work.

Here is a thread about it:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=ff71ccbdd6a8cc4eff71284095fadbae&threadid=19195

Hallvard

0
knottulf (8)
1/8/2004 7:41:01 AM

> .. ext3
>
> Now at least I have made a successful mount in osx of the ufs
> volume with http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx v.1.0.1
> (haven�t tried writing yet due to permission problems).
> At first I had an errormsg that the volume could not be mounted
> because of verifications error. So I booted up and closed down
> linux, and afterwords it seems to work.

From http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=597903+0
+archive/2003/freebsd-questions/20030831.freebsd-questions:

| BTW: ext3 is compatible w/ext2 *ONLY* when the dirty bit is unset.
|      When it is set, journal rollback is necessary which only ext3
|      can handle.

Conclusion: Make sure, your linux is shut down clearly, e.g by adding a
'sync; sleep 10; sync' or 'sync || (sleep 30; sync)' to the end of your
/etc/init.d/halt.local.

Tilman Heinrich

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.

Linux, Linux, Linux

Choosing the right OS between Mac OS X, Linux dist, Win
Hi Guys, I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 5100 P4-2.8 GHz (1.25 GB RAM, 40GB HDD). Its been running fine with some heating problems, and a few fresh installations of win-xp needed. Now, I have a need to buy a second laptop (it has to be a laptop since I am moving place to place every few months). Thats when I hit the question.. What to buy... Well, before anything else, I should mention my intended usage of the system... - Running software like - Oracle 10g Server, - Oracle Warehouse Builder - Some ETL tools... - some shell programming - some perl programming - lots of...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Resize partition for Linux without Mac OS cd
Hi, I got an old G3 Powerbook 300 MHz (old world) from a friend running Mac Os 8.6 but without any CD. I'm trying to install Yellow Dog 4.0 on it, I managed to launch the YDL setup by using a kernel file posted on the YLD board website. However, YLD doesnt seem to allow me to resize my existing partition and create a new one, and I didn't find any free tool for doing that. Actually I don't care about my Mac OS partition, but I read that I need t keep it because an old world powerbook cant run another OS on its own. Do you know if there is a way for me to get the partition tool from the Mac OS system cd or another one? I tried to install Mandrake 10.1 which is supposed to have a partition utility but the installer always crash. I'm a bit desperate about using Linux on this laptop... Thanks a lot for your help. Francois ...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147262/os_smackdown_linux_vs_mac_os_x_vs_vista_vs_xp.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang <ron916@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT) <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>: > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP > > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, > Computerworld > > http://www.pcworld.com/bu...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs
More Unix in Apple's Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to | the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future | be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of | interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is | DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring | of the performance of programs during run-time. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09 Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. Watch the list: Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update ,----[ QUote ] | Apple on Wednesday afternoon released Mac OS X 10.4.10, a free | maintenance update recommended for all PowerPC and Intel-based Mac | computers running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. `---- http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/20/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_4_10_update.html ...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset | designer Enteos. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9710475530.html Open Linux developer phone opens up more ,----[ Quote ] | Trolltech has loosened key licensing restrictions on its | user-modifiable Linux-based mobile phone for open source software | developers. Users of the Greenphone will no longer be restricted to | running Qtopia software on the device, nor to using the device only | in its supplied hardware/software configuration. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4872069549.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will >| provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many >| thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") >| a...

Run Linux App over Mac OS X via Mac X11
Hello. I have a working Linux GUI app and tried in vain to run it over MacOS X via X11. The error msg from X11 is as follows: ------------------------------------------------- $ Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) serial 16453 error_code 2 request_code 45 minor_code 0 ------------------------------------------------------ The app was built using gcc-3.4.2 (gcc-3.4.2/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2), and libwx_gtkd_gl-2.4.a. Could some tell me how to fix or get around it. Many thanks ming -----Original Message----- From: Henk Boons...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

Mac OS X and Linux
I want to ask (what may be) a stupid question: If Mac OS/X is based on some kind of BSD/Unix OS and it can run apps like MS Powerpoint and Adobe Photoshop (and others), what does this mean? 1. Does it mean those apps have been ported by MS and Adobe (etc) to run under a BSD/Unixy paradigm? 2. Does it mean that Apple has the source for those apps and has compiled it for their OS? 3. Does it mean they are running under some kind of WINE or somesuch? And finally, If these are ports, why have they not arrived on the Linux desktop yet? Even commercially? I await my licks! -- Bats ~..~ (I can onl...

Linux and Mac OS X
Fed up with all the spyware, viruses and other XP problems,so I switched over (again) to Mandrake 9.2 a couple of weeks ago on my AMD 2100+. Well, I must say Linux is maturing to a viable alternative to Windows. It is drop dead gorgeous, more configurable and more stable than Windows. There are still a few quirks and the help needs improvement but overall I am very impressed. Do any of you run Linux on your Mac H/W? Would you consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as an alternative to Mac OS X? In article <pan.2003.11.20.21.39.59.633697@telus.net>, Martik <martik@telus.net> wrote: > Would you > consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as an > alternative to Mac OS X? No -- ------------------------------------------- Swedish Webcams http://zap.to/webcams ------------------------------------------- In article <pan.2003.11.20.21.39.59.633697@telus.net>, Martik <martik@telus.net> wrote: > Fed up with all the spyware, viruses and other XP problems,so I switched > over (again) to Mandrake 9.2 a couple of weeks ago on my AMD 2100+. Well, > I must say Linux is maturing to a viable alternative to Windows. It is > drop dead gorgeous, more configurable and more stable than Windows. There > are still a few quirks and the help needs improvement but overall I am > very impressed. Do any of you run Linux on your Mac H/W? Would you > consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as a...

Mac OS apps on Linux
Hello, Can anyone tell me how to run off the shelf Mac OS X apps, eg. Pages, or any of the iLife stuff, on Linux? Since Mac OS is a BSD, it should be easy, methinks, but what's the exact software needed, and the exact procedure? Since besides the kernel, the programs would also need facilites on the part of X and whatever desktop system like Gnome or KDE, it's not just a question of the kernel itself. So - what's needed, is it possible, and how do I do it? Thanks. begin virus.txt.scr binary-nomad@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone tell me how to run off the shelf M...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | sequence; largely adapted installer and graphical installer | front-end; enhanced installer for meta tasks; new artwork;o | ffline manual... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9846.phtml Related: Sidux: A live CD for Debian unstable ,----[ Quote ] | It's a rare distribution that impresses me before I've even tried it, | but sidux did just that when, a few hours after I'd downloaded and | burned a two-day-old preview release, the project announced that the | next release was available for download. `---- http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/02/28/1017239.shtml?tid=127 SIDUX 2007-01 Linux LiveCD ,----[ Quote ] | Screenshots gallery `---- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=655&num=1 Testdriving Sidux 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | Sidux ships with a 2.6.20 kernel, Xorg 7.1.1, gcc 4.1.2, and KDE | 3.5.5. Iceweasel 2.0.0.1 appears to be the default...

OT: linux, FC5 (having trouble with alt.os.linux)
I apologize profusely for posting this topic to this newsgroup but either I'm having trouble with alt.os.linux (going on a few days now) or it's having trouble and I don't know which it is (maybe some one else knows). I figured someone here would be knowledgeable enough to help me and/or let me know if my posting problems are mine or the newsgroups (BTW, I've posted from my work and home without luck but they may both use the same ISP). Well, if you've read this far...here's my (attempted?) post to the other group: Topic: shutdown broadcast not showing up for us...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

My Linux is not your Linux

linux os
how do i implement device driver in linux????????? On Mar 11, 5:04 pm, pri <velhalpr...@gmail.com> wrote: > how do i implement device driver in linux????????? Linux distributions include all the commonly required drivers. For example a modern distribution will install with complete success on a common garden Dell or HP or Compaq etc P4 desktop without any bother whereas trying to install Windows XP requires a hunt for drivers, even one for the ethernet socket. The main exceptions are where device makers have not provided information to enable Linux drivers to be written. Hardware...

Web resources about - access linux partitions from mac os and opposite - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

Restore files, partitions, broken PCs with Lazesoft Recovery Suite
... That’s all the more surprising when you see how much the program can do. It’s able to recover everything from individual files to entire partitions; ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

Jat stir revives Partition nightmare for Rohtak residents
The violent Jat quota agitation has revived painful memories of Partition for many people caught in the two conflicts separated by seven decades. ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...