Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

Hello,

i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140
(332MHz).
According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the
boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in
CD-ROM.

When booting the machine searches for a short time on CD and stops with
a white screen (IBM+logo and an arrow with the words `Starting software
.... please wait`) ... after changing some F-Numbers on the machine
itself it shows an `F05` on the position described before?

What i'm doing wrong? Is there any other way to install a RS/6000 140?

Thx for any help,

mfg fg

--
Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de

comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

Gerhard Fuehrer <newsletter.gf@aon.at> wrote:

> Hello,

> i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140
> (332MHz).
> According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the
> boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in
> CD-ROM.

> When booting the machine searches for a short time on CD and stops with
> a white screen (IBM+logo and an arrow with the words `Starting software
> ... please wait`) ... after changing some F-Numbers on the machine
> itself it shows an `F05` on the position described before?

Ok you don't say if this is recent deb cd?
Some older CD's won't support RS6000 as bootable.

It sounds like and this is a guess, it sees the
cdrom and says yeah bootable media then fails in
the load somewhere. That kind of describes 'F05'
Or perhaps it is on the serial console as in 'limitaions' below.

Have you played around with the firmware menus to
see if all the hardware is recognised.
Have you checked to make sure the firmware is current?

Have you read the following from the site you point to?

Limitations

The PReP boot loader only works on the serial console. The boot loader
displays a boot prompt that allows you to enter the kernel command line
arguments. Any errors early in the boot process will also be displayed
there. Because of this, at least when you are starting out, you should
use a dumb terminal or PC with NULL-modem cable connected to the serial
port. Once everything is working you can then disconnect this, if
required.

Hope this helps
-Walt

PenguinsAnonymous
9/19/2003 12:01:53 AM
PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
> Gerhard Fuehrer <newsletter.gf@aon.at> wrote:
>> i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140
>> (332MHz).
>> According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the
>> boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in
>> CD-ROM.
[...]

> Ok you don't say if this is recent deb cd?
> Some older CD's won't support RS6000 as bootable.

Debian woody 3.0 R1 IS the recent CD -> i use the "nonus" but from
booting there should be no differences!

> It sounds like and this is a guess, it sees the
> cdrom and says yeah bootable media then fails in
> the load somewhere. That kind of describes 'F05'
> Or perhaps it is on the serial console as in 'limitaions' below.
>
> Have you played around with the firmware menus to
> see if all the hardware is recognised.
> Have you checked to make sure the firmware is current?

Actual firmware on this machine is TIG99224 -> according to
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ the firmware running on the machine
should be 99292 or above, so i downloaded the latest firmware TIG02316
for  7043-140  (should be the right firmware!)
from http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/mdownload//7043140I.EXE
(DOS-file, because i have no running AIX-system available) ... expanded
the file and wrote .img on disk (also checked a 'sum tig02316.img' ...
which was also ok)

Then i tried to update firmware as discribed in help -> booting ... F1
.... SMS ... Utilities ... update ... firmware from disk.

The floppy seems to read some time, but the firmware always stayes at
TIG99224?

Why can't i install a newer firmware, which i need to boot linux?
The instructions on serial console (0> setenv ...) doesn't help, because
i have the wrong firmware i think?

> Limitations
>
> The PReP boot loader only works on the serial console. The boot loader
> displays a boot prompt that allows you to enter the kernel command line
> arguments. Any errors early in the boot process will also be displayed
> there. Because of this, at least when you are starting out, you should
> use a dumb terminal or PC with NULL-modem cable connected to the serial

Does this mean i have to use another PC, connecting to RS/6000 over a
ethernet-card? I saw IP-addresses in SMS-menue to set for RS/6000 -
should i use this?

> Hope this helps

thx for hints, but i hope i can get any more?!

mfg fg

--
Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de

>> Limitations
>>
>> The PReP boot loader only works on the serial console. The boot loader
>> displays a boot prompt that allows you to enter the kernel command line
>> arguments. Any errors early in the boot process will also be displayed
>> there. Because of this, at least when you are starting out, you should
>> use a dumb terminal or PC with NULL-modem cable connected to the serial

> Does this mean i have to use another PC, connecting to RS/6000 over a
> ethernet-card? I saw IP-addresses in SMS-menue to set for RS/6000 -
> should i use this?

No you have serial connections right I don't have the machine in front
of me anymore :) 9 or 25 pin connections....

But you would attach a serial cable to the first port and then to a PC
serial port using a null modem block which crosses the rx/tx.
Then on the PC run something like minicom or yeah on windows there is a
terminal program I think.
With the serial setting correct speed bits etc (and sometimes you have
to tinker) you'll get output during the boot process I bet.

Alternatively you could use an old dumb terminal and attach it similar
not needing a pc.

PenguinsAnonymous
9/20/2003 11:50:33 PM
PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
>> Why can't i install a newer firmware, which i need to boot linux?

After several trials i got the latest firmware on my rs6000 43p 140.

Then I tried many ways to boot debian woody for ppc with no success:
boot from CD
boot from floppy
pressed F8 on boot and tryed ...
0 > setenv load-base 1000000
0 > setenv real-base c00000
0 > boot floppy:
(according to the rs6000 howto)

.... several floppys with the prep boot.bin but always with the same
effekt ... system hangs on F05 ?

> Good Luck!
> -Walt

Any more hints?

thanks, mfg fg

--
Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
# wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #
Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf2@aon.at> wrote:

> Any more hints?

> thanks, mfg fg

Do you have any other CDs that will boot on that box?
Even an AIX just to isolate the problem. If it does
then we know its not hardware but your media.
I'm having trouble deciding whether your cdrom iself
is bootable on 43p? (the disk)
Thanks.
-Walt

--
Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

PenguinsAnonymous
10/7/2003 10:20:16 PM
PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
> Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf2@aon.at> wrote:
>
> Do you have any other CDs that will boot on that box?
> Even an AIX just to isolate the problem. If it does
> then we know its not hardware but your media.
> I'm having trouble deciding whether your cdrom iself
> is bootable on 43p? (the disk)

The cdrom IS bootable ... because I installed AIX 4.2 on this machine
from CD by myself without problems.

I think i can remember reading a page that only a 2.4-er kernel can boot
on rs6000 140 -> maybe debian ppc (woody) tries to start a 2.2-er kernel
on boot.

My next step would be, that i try to build a kernel by myselfe (i've to
get/read some more infos) ... (transporting files to rs6000/AIX should
be possible, because i have telnet-connection from my debian-PC to my
rs6000)
There are also some Links on www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php
(bootimage, modules, ...) which i will try ...

thx for your help ... i would be also glad, if we could continue this
problem per mail? (email above without no_swen_ )

seeya gerdsch

--
Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> wrote:
> PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
>> Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf2@aon.at> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have any other CDs that will boot on that box?
>> Even an AIX just to isolate the problem. If it does
>> then we know its not hardware but your media.
>> I'm having trouble deciding whether your cdrom iself
>> is bootable on 43p? (the disk)

> The cdrom IS bootable ... because I installed AIX 4.2 on this machine
> from CD by myself without problems.

> I think i can remember reading a page that only a 2.4-er kernel can boot
> on rs6000 140 -> maybe debian ppc (woody) tries to start a 2.2-er kernel
> on boot.

> My next step would be, that i try to build a kernel by myselfe (i've to
> get/read some more infos) ... (transporting files to rs6000/AIX should
> be possible, because i have telnet-connection from my debian-PC to my
> rs6000)
> There are also some Links on www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php
> (bootimage, modules, ...) which i will try ...

> thx for your help ... i would be also glad, if we could continue this
> problem per mail? (email above without no_swen_ )

> seeya gerdsch

> --
> Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
> Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
> # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

What you need is a diskette image .... look around you'll find one.
I've installed many times before cdromd were bootable.

-Walt

--
Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

PenguinsAnonymous
10/8/2003 6:13:41 PM
Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> schrieb:
> PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
>
> I think i can remember reading a page that only a 2.4-er kernel can boot
> on rs6000 140 -> maybe debian ppc (woody) tries to start a 2.2-er kernel
> on boot.
>
> My next step would be, that i try to build a kernel by myselfe (i've to
> get/read some more infos) ... (transporting files to rs6000/AIX should
> be possible, because i have telnet-connection from my debian-PC to my
> rs6000)
> There are also some Links on www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php
> (bootimage, modules, ...) which i will try ...

Seems to be some little step farther ...
I downloaded zImage.prep-2.4.19 from www.solinno.co.uk and put it on a
disc (dd).
When booting rs6000 pressed F8 -> prompt 0 > and entered ...
0 > boot floppy:,\zImage root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
ramdisk_size=128000 video=s3trio:off console=ttyS0 according the HowTo
(first boot) ...
after a F40 code and loading from disk i got again the F05 code, but
several sec later it jumped to EEF and 222, then it became black.
Then the rs6000 is searching on CD-rom (for ram-disk or modules i
think?) and some moments later the boot stops with a 505 code?

How can i load a ramdisk or modules on machine -> would it be enough to
put the modules-2.4.19.tar.gz on AIX-system (un-tar and gunzip them) and
give some more boot-parameters ... initrd=?

stoney way to success ... hope i will manage it with your help!

mfg fg

--
Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
# wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #
Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> wrote:
> Seems to be some little step farther ...
> I downloaded zImage.prep-2.4.19 from www.solinno.co.uk and put it on a
> disc (dd).
> When booting rs6000 pressed F8 -> prompt 0 > and entered ...
> 0 > boot floppy:,\zImage root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
> ramdisk_size=128000 video=s3trio:off console=ttyS0 according the HowTo
> (first boot) ...
> after a F40 code and loading from disk i got again the F05 code, but
> several sec later it jumped to EEF and 222, then it became black.
> Then the rs6000 is searching on CD-rom (for ram-disk or modules i
> think?) and some moments later the boot stops with a 505 code?

> How can i load a ramdisk or modules on machine -> would it be enough to
> put the modules-2.4.19.tar.gz on AIX-system (un-tar and gunzip them) and
> give some more boot-parameters ... initrd=?

> stoney way to success ... hope i will manage it with your help!

> mfg fg

I don't think your approach is prudent.
codes mean something.
Solving problem systematically and directly is best.

*Display Value 222
Explanation Progress indicator. Attempting a Normal-mode system restart
from the standard I/O planar-attached devices specified in the NVRAM IPL
devices list.
System Action The system retries.
User Action If you have not rebooted, do so now. Otherwise, record the

*Display Value 505
Explanation Progress indicator. Querying card in slot 5.
System Action If an irrecoverable error occurs, the system halts.
User Action If the system halts, go to "Hardware Diagnostics" in in AIX
Problem Solving Guide and Reference.

Typical cryptic IBMese but the second message
looks like the clue. The first is just a continuation
type message you see many similar in boot process but
they move on. I think the first might be related to the
second however.
So whats in slot 5? Also check for damage especially
if the slot is empty. Use a flashlight!

messages at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprob/msgdnref/3digitsingle.htm#hp3Ph326janb

-Walt

--
Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

PenguinsAnonymous
10/9/2003 11:04:43 PM
PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
> Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> wrote:

>> after a F40 code and loading from disk i got again the F05 code, but
>> several sec later it jumped to EEF and 222, then it became black.
>> Then the rs6000 is searching on CD-rom (for ram-disk or modules i
>> think?) and some moments later the boot stops with a 505 code?

[...]

> *Display Value 505
> Explanation Progress indicator. Querying card in slot 5.
> System Action If an irrecoverable error occurs, the system halts.
> User Action If the system halts, go to "Hardware Diagnostics" in in AIX
> Problem Solving Guide and Reference.
>
> Typical cryptic IBMese but the second message
> looks like the clue. The first is just a continuation
> type message you see many similar in boot process but
> they move on. I think the first might be related to the
> second however.
> So whats in slot 5? Also check for damage especially
> if the slot is empty. Use a flashlight!

In slot 5 there is an IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet TP PCI Adapter (which i
would not need, because there is another integrated network-card which i
used to connect from pc to ppc)

I checked the whole hardware with the diagnostic tool -> diag (on boot
and in aix as root in smitty) -> no defect hardware
I also demounted the ethernet card from the rs6000 -> same effekt (stop
with a code 505)

thx also for the usefull links ...

I googled and found hints about key mode switch to service mode? but i
think this rs6000 doesn't have any key-mode-switch -> also found in a
threat about this problem.
I'm reading several books which came with the rs6000 and aix-software
.... I'll also try another ppc-distro (yellow-linux, which i will get on
monday)
More steps for future: I will try to boot per net (tftp), but i have to
read more infos about that but i think it will also only lead in 505 ;-(

.... so long, thanx for your steady help ...
it seems to become work for cold, long winter nights ;-)

greetings from austria,
fg

--
Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
# wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #
Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> wrote:

> In slot 5 there is an IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet TP PCI Adapter (which i
> would not need, because there is another integrated network-card which i
> used to connect from pc to ppc)

Remove the card .... try it.
The objective is progress worry about the card later.
You may need to use another type or another card not sure
but for now let's move on.

-Walt

--
Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

PenguinsAnonymous
10/11/2003 7:32:15 PM
Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> wrote:

> I also demounted the ethernet card from the rs6000 -> same effekt (stop
> with a code 505)

by demounted do you mean remove?
Do you have the SMS diskette for this box?
You talk about a switch .... these use an SMS utility.
Older rs6000 have a physical switch like you speak.

> thx also for the usefull links ...

> I googled and found hints about key mode switch to service mode? but i
> think this rs6000 doesn't have any key-mode-switch -> also found in a
> threat about this problem.
> I'm reading several books which came with the rs6000 and aix-software
> ... I'll also try another ppc-distro (yellow-linux, which i will get on
> monday)

yes yellowdog would be my choice :)

> More steps for future: I will try to boot per net (tftp), but i have to
> read more infos about that but i think it will also only lead in 505 ;-(

-Walt

--
Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

PenguinsAnonymous
10/11/2003 7:38:12 PM
PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
> Gerhard Fuehrer <no_swen_newsletter.gf3@aon.at> wrote:
>
>> I also demounted the ethernet card from the rs6000 -> same effekt (stop
>> with a code 505)
>
> by demounted do you mean remove?

removed (physical) from the rs6000 -> the slot was empty ... but as i
told - same effekt (stopped with an code 505)

> Do you have the SMS diskette for this box?

SMS diskette? I updated the firmware, if you mean this -> when i push F1
on boot i'll get into the SMS, where i changed the boot-order for
example and installed new firmware!

> You talk about a switch .... these use an SMS utility.
> Older rs6000 have a physical switch like you speak.

Yes i think so ... in a book i found a picture about such a switch -> on
this 140 (332MHz) is no switch.

> yes yellowdog would be my choice :)

I'm curious on monday ... isn't yellowdog the distri which is
recommended for mac (ppc)?

nice sunday,
mfg fg

--
Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
# wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

RS 6000 43p 140 /debian
Hi! Need help! I use a termnial to access rs6000 and boot form floppy, after the boot floppy command, I get some information about memory aso, then the system stops! Any ideas? Thanks Rainer ...

RS/6000 43P-140 Specifications
Hi Everyone, I am planning to buy an RS/6000 43P-140 machine for myself. I Am buying it to learn AIX and DB2. Power PC 604e 233MHz Hard Drive: 9GB Memory: 256MB 1) Can I use a normal IDE hard drive with this machine, or is it must to have an SCSI Disk? 2) Can I use an IDE CDROM Drive with this machines? 3) Do you think it's capable of running DB2 UDB 8.1? 4) Any other tips for an RS6000 newbie? thanks in advance, dotyet never mind, i found the information in one of the threads. thanks, dotyet ...

RS/6000 PowerPC 604e + which Linux distro?
Howdy, I just obtained two used servers from a friend. One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, CDROM, & floppy. What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. The 2nd one does not belong in this group. ;) It has Windoze 2000 server (bleah) on it. Thanx in advance, Roto Noto Ciao Roto Noto, nel tuo messaggio dicevi: > One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, > CDROM, & floppy. > What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. Debian, all the way. -- Best Regards, Jack Linux User #264449 Powered by Fedora Core 2 (x86) Powered by Debian Sid (ppc) Jack Malmostoso wrote: > Ciao Roto Noto, nel tuo messaggio dicevi: > > >>One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, >>CDROM, & floppy. >>What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. > > > Debian, all the way. > I'll second that, I have a similar machine running debian/woody & another one running debian/sarge. (ibm ppc 7248) cheers, Kim Kim Hawtin wrote: > Jack Malmostoso wrote: > >> Ciao Roto Noto, nel tuo messaggio dicevi: >> >> >>> One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, >>> CDROM, & floppy. >>> What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. >> >> &...

Debian Linux on an IBM RS/6000 44P 270 machine

IBM RS/6000 Model 7248-43P front panel 11H6756 needed
Hello, I'm looking for this part for my 7248-132 that has been damaged during shipping. I'm looking for a part in very good/excellent/pristine/new condition, including the keylock and the key. I'm also looking for the plastic cap of the power button. Is anybody aware of a good supply sources? I've already contacted the various vendors returned by Google with a search on 11H6756. Many thanks, =C9meric emeric.maschino@gmail.com wrote: > I'm looking for this part for my 7248-132 that has been damaged during > shipping. I'm looking for a part in very good/excellent/pristine/new > condition, including the keylock and the key. I'm also looking for the > plastic cap of the power button. You're not going to like the answer, but your best bet will be to buy another 7248-132 and use your current unit for spare parts. Since the front panel is the same for all models, any 7248 will do as a replacement, and thus you could use the new machine as your "spare parts" unit, if that would make the search easier. I sold my only 7248-132 to a fellow who "made me an offer I couldn't refuse", he waved too much money in my face (but he was a collector and I had a "like new" unit -- no marks, scratches, etc). He drove to my house to view it and agree to buy it, he didn't trust any shipping company with his "baby". Rick Ekblaw Hi Rick, Thanks for you answer. ...

AIX 6.1 and the IBM RS/6000 7043-150 43P Model 150
Hi, I would like to train and improve my AIX knowledge with the newest 6.1 features. So, the qouestion is - is it possible to install the AIX 6.1 on obsolete workstation IBM RS/6000 7043-150 43P Model 150 with following configuration: - PowerPC 604e/375MHz, cache 1MB, - RAM 512 MB - 2 x 4GB HDD SCSI, - CD-ROM SCSI 32x, - Floppy 1,44MB, - GPU GTX3000P. If not, what sould be the minimum workstation configuration that would support AIX 6.1 usage (at home, for training)? -- Pozdrawiam, Krzysztof Krzysztof Paz schrieb: > If not, > what sould be the minimum workstation configuration ...

Auction: IBM RS/6000 Model 7249 860 Laptop PowerPC AIX 415 UNIX
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-RS-6000-Model-7249-860-Laptop-PowerPC-AIX-415-UNIX_W0QQitemZ6863066159QQcategoryZ42202QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< End time: Apr-01-06 13:20:51 PST This is from Kevin Bowling. I am outing him right now, because he hides behind the moniker evanathome, which is clearly designed to mislead those caught up in his nefarious schemes. Although I'm confused of what he would be hiding. Looking at the description, I have to wonder how anyone could think something is not being honestly represented. And if Kevin adds something to this topic, will people please THINK before posting that he hasn't disclosed his connection? He didn't originate the topic, why should he fall over himself stuffing a disclaimer into the thread? I hope the participants in this group possess enough common sense to see this message as nothing to do with an attempt to hornswoggle them, merely an effort to inform them. IBM RS/6000 Model 7249-860 REBUILD or USE FOR PARTS LCD may be dead or the unit is dead. Missing Camera Laptop notebook PowerPC can run UNIX - AIX 4.1.5 includes a 1.2 GB HD (which may or may not work) RS / 6000 166 mhz PowerPC 603e Processor 32 MB RAM NOTE CD Drive is broken NO AC Adapter Louis Ohland wrote: > This is from Kevin Bowling. Louis, I think not. The seller "evanathome" is clearly located in New York (so *I* could be "evanathome" -- but I'm not, though I wish I had a working 860 ...

IBM RS/6000 Model 7249-860 Laptop PowerPC AIX 4.1.5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6809426996 I wish I could grab it. "Kevin Bowling" <kevin.bowling.no.spam@removenospam.wans.net> wrote in message news:scl1f.12860$WR2.11827@fed1read03... > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6809426996 > > I wish I could grab it. Hmm, interesting. An AIX laptop, presumably prompted by Tero's posts? -- Regards, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) Tim Clarke wrote: > "Kevin Bowling" <kevin.bowling.no.spam@removenospam.wans.net> wrote in > message news:scl1f.12860$WR2.11827@fed1read03... > >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6809426996 >> >>I wish I could grab it. > > > Hmm, interesting. An AIX laptop, presumably prompted by Tero's posts? Not sure what you mean by this. It came up on my standard RS/6k search. This is the top of the line as far as IBM PPC laptops go. I'm predicting it will go in the region of $300. "Tero Kaarlela" <turo.kaarlela@kotinet.com> wrote in message news:4346114e$0$830$9b536df3@news.fv.fi... > Kevin Bowling wrote: > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6809426996 > > > > I wish I could grab it. > > Lets hope so. > > http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~ayanic01/rs6k/ > and > http://www.tecnopolis.ca/aixtp/ > > Are good info sites for 860....

Linux for RS/6000?
I know that as of yet, there is no Linux support for the older rs6k machines. I was wondering if anybody is still working on this project, and if so, how it's going. The web page for the project hasn't been updated in quite awhile. Also, I found and am right now downloading what is supposed to be the source code for AIX 4.1.3. I'm not much in the programming department, but if it's legit, would it help speed up the development process? Obviously you couldn't just copy bootloader, etc, wholesale, but I was thinking that it would at least show how it's done right? Or am I missing something obvious here, since I only play at programming? -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- If you have REAL 4.1.3 source code i'll take the source code for devices dfe5 8f62 mca. Thanks Ryan > I know that as of yet, there is no Linux support for the older rs6k > machines. I was wondering if anybody is still working on this project, and > if so, how it's going. The web page for the project hasn't been updated in > quite awhile. Also, I found and am right now downloading what is supposed > to be the source code for AIX 4.1.3. I'm not much in the programming > department, but if it's legit, would it help speed up the development > process? ...

Linux on RS 6000
Hi everbody ! I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150 machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems with handling that graphics adapter ! Does anybody know how to get it to work ? video swithes when installing etc. I get 2 separete text screens on the monitor at the same time when i tries to install, none of them readable. Thanks Kjell Kjell Andersson wrote: > Hi everbody ! > > I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150 > machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to > install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems > with handling that graphics adapter ! > Does anybody know how to get it to work ? video swithes > when installing etc. I get 2 separete text screens on the monitor > at the same time when i tries to install, none of them readable. > > Thanks Kjell Hi: If the RS6000 is anything like an Old World clone for install, you'll need to aim low at first and try for the framebuffer mode at 640 x 480 with 15 or 16 bit color, at 60-something MHz (on my monitor they magic number was 67, 60 didn't work) in order to get unaccelerated X going . . .. then you can start tweaking XF86Config. You need to check to confirm the applicable driver xxxxx.o file is in modules/drivers (I think that's /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but that's from memory) - I found that XF86Confi...

Auction: IBM RS/6000 Risc System 6000 Model 42T Server
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-RS-6000-Risc-System-6000-Model-42T-Server-Awesome_W0QQitemZ290042854502QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< End time: Oct-30-06 18:26:38 PST Methinks the seller is seriously confused. The 42x boxes use a PPC on the planar, and a riser with cache, MCA slots, and a local video slot on it. My guess is the CPU slots are the four MCA slots. CPU: 4 CPU slots (Symmetric Multi-Processors?) with one populated. There also looks like room for Another processor on one of the daughter cards. Louis Ohland schrieb: > >http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-RS-6000-Risc-System-6000-Model-42T-Server-Awesome_W0QQitemZ290042854502QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< > > End time: Oct-30-06 18:26:38 PST > > Methinks the seller is seriously confused. The 42x boxes use a PPC on > the planar, and a riser with cache, MCA slots, and a local video slot on > it. My guess is the CPU slots are the four MCA slots. > > CPU: 4 CPU slots (Symmetric Multi-Processors?) with one populated. There > also looks like room for Another processor on one of the daughter cards. 120MHz PPC604, FastSCSI and Ethernet on planar. 512k L2 cache is optional. Yes, the Local Bus slot for a Graphics adaptor GXT150L, GXT500, GXT500D is empty and the blank plate is missing :-( One slot populated with a Gt4e. A 7006-42T with GXT500 is a better choice, faster and more colours. You'll need low profile FPM R...

RS/6000 250 and Linux?
Hello, after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to get linux to run on it? Thanks, Mario > RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to Linux Support for MCA bus on RS/6000 is still missing as it seems. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:49:29 +0100, Mario Premke wrote: > Hello, > after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM > RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to > get linux to run on it? Hell freezing over comes to mind. It's a doorstop and not a very convenient one. Sorry. Oh, it will run AIX 4.3.3 (with some persuasion) very slowly, and probably 5.1. So it may have some use as an AIX educational aid, but it is extremely unlikely that anyone will port Linux to those old MCA RSs. There isn't a lot of point now. Little ones like the 250 are dog slow by comparison with PCs of several years ago, and the big ones are huge, heavy, cost a fortune to run and aren't particularly fast. I attended an IBM course about 2 years ago where the subject (HACMP) required 3 RSs per team of 4 people for the practical exercises. They were using machines evidently rescued from the corporate junk heap and even they were E30s and 43Ps - much more recent PCI based machines. Regards, Ian ...

RS/6000 model 42T
Just got ahold of a surplus RS6K model 42T that I hope to use for learning AIX. Somewhere I've got a set of AIX 4.3.X CDs that I'll want to load. (I'm presuming that even if the current drive already has an AIX on it, it would be futile to try to get into it. Or would it ?) QUESTION: The keyswitch is locked in the "OK" position. Can I boot from the CD and load the OS in that position, or must I find a way to get it into the "wrench" position ? Is there any easy way of getting around the keylock and opening the box so I can jumper it out ? I don't care if...

wpa_supplicant,linux.debian.ports.powerpc
Hello. Did someone of you guys built a wpa_supplicant for Aiport/hermes? There is a hermes source but made for 2.4 kernels. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-247191.html The gentoo people can't help me. Paolo ...

RS/6000 7020 F50 System with debian sarge
Hello I have a RS/6000 7020 F50 system with 1 GB RAM and 10 x 9.1 GB HD with 3 604e CPUs. Does someone know a working system with sarge or woody with my hardware type? I would like to use the following ISO: debian-31r0a-powerpc-netinst.iso It doesn't boot altough i set the bootlist to cd only. It tries booting but makes restarts all the time. I think, that i can choose at installation time a working default kernel. Assumed that i can boot a bootmedia (CD, HD, NFS, TFTP and so on). What would you recommend? I think that i must afterwards compile a new kernel to support 3 CPUs. I tried today to boot from the HD (harddisk) according to the "Debian GNU/Linux-Installationmanual at 4.5.2 and 5.1.2.3. That means: Downloading the files vmlinux, initrd.gz, yaboot and yaboot.conf and copied to the root directory (/) (now still AIX works, which i would like to replace with Debian sarge) My root directory is under /dev/hd4 I booted the system new and with pressing the F1 key i got to the System Management Services and opened a bootprompt "0 >". Then i tried the following: boot hd:4,yaboot This boots AIX boot hd:0,yaboot This boots AIX also I have the above mentioned ISO in the CD drive an tried with boot cd:,\install\yaboot This boots AIX also I thing i am overlooking something or some information is missing, but which? At URL http://www.de.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep There is the following mentioned: ----------------snip-----...

Web resources about - Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140 - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Debian ( / ˈ d ɛ b i ə n / ) is the name for a Linux distribution that is composed primarily of free and open-source software , most of which ...

Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Debian ( / ˈ d ɛ b i ə n / ) is an operating system composed of free software mostly carrying the GNU General Public License , and developed ...

Debian The Universal Operating System
Debian is an operating system and a distribution of Free Software. It is maintained and updated through the work of many users who volunteer ...

Planet Debian
Conrad releaser version 3.2.3 of Armadillo a few days ago, and the corresponding RcppArmadillo package 0.3.2.3 is now CRAN . (Forthese keeping ...

Debian GNU/Linux Debian Pure Blends
Debian Pure Blends A Debian Pure Blend (in short Blend if used in clearly Debian internal context)is a subset of Debian that is configured tosupport ...

Debian Mailing Lists Index
If you wish to browse a complete list of mailing lists, see the complete index . To subscribe to or unsubscribe frommultiple mailing lists at ...

Debian Packages
To report a problem with the web site, e-mail debian-www@lists.debian.org . For other contact information, see the Debian contact page . Web ...

Debian Security Information
Debian takes security very seriously. We handle all security problemsbrought to our attention and ensure that they are corrected withina reasonable ...

FrontPage - Debian Wiki
Wiki Login FrontPage RecentChanges FindPage HelpContents Search: Wiki / Immutable Page Comments Info Attachments More Actions: Raw Text Print ...

The Debian Project (@debian) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here The Debian Project @ debian ...