install linux on an external firewire drive

I have googled for two days now. I cannot find a linux distro that can
be installed on an external firewire drive without pulling my hair.
Firewire has been around since the imac 233 revision b, 2000?
Has powerful as linux is I do not understand why it cannot be
installed. Why the yaboot cannot be configured?

Osx can be installed on anything.

0
sowhati (6)
12/28/2004 7:32:36 PM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

Linux, Linux, Linux

Why linux is linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

My Linux is not your Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Installing OS X on external Firewire drive. . .
I have an external 80GB Firewire hard drive. I have lots of docuents and stuff backed up on it, and I want to install OS X on it so if anything happens to my internal HD I'll have a temporary replacement. How can I make it so that the OS X install CD will let me install the operating system without erasing everything on the drive? Cory wrote: > I have an external 80GB Firewire hard drive. I have lots of docuents > and stuff backed up on it, and I want to install OS X on it so if > anything happens to my internal HD I'll have a temporary replacement. > How can I make it so...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

Installing Linux from within Linux?
Seriously. I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to the latter). Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner), and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices. So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the Debian install itself. Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over memory if they want!) (My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though) cheers Jules Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd > like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to > the latter). > > Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it > reads commercial CDs fine, ...

Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?
I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Thanks! marslee@hotmail.com wrote: > IS there any good website for beginner? > Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? > Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Hi marslee, if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compiles itself on your machine, but forget the "optimized-system-gives-3%-performance-gain" aspect, i love it because it works smooth and is easy to maintain. e.g., software install or complete system update takes you exactly one command. each. documentation is very good, step-by step, and there are also wiki's and how-to's. if gentoo is not your thing, you can always resort to suse (fool-proof install; but updating means reinstall and gettings things like dvd play to work is a real pain in the y'know) or knoppix (save your /home and settings to a usb-stick; runs from live cd). HTH, florian (gentoo-noob) ah yeah, system requirement for a non-graphical linux is like *486 cpu and stuff, so if your box is newer than three years, it should do fine. <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119510779.706073.70580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...

a question of installing linux operating system on external hard drive
Hi, I am very interested in installing Linux Ubuntu on an external hard drive. = Ideally, I hope that when I plug this HD to my desktop which has Windows 7 = operating system, then I can use Ubuntu to do my programming work and all m= y code, database mysql, Eclipse, Java etc all are installed at the external= hard drive. Then I can unplug it from this desktop and plug into a laptop,= I can continue my work left at Desktop. Is this possible? Desktop hardware and the laptop hardware are different, e.g. video card, wi= fi card etc. So when the external HD is with the desktop and I ...

Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition of External Drive
Hello all, I have some experience running IRIX from my chemistry research and I would really like to install Linux on my laptop. Right now it is already running Windows XP and I would like to keep it there. (Some of the software that I'm running requires Windows.) My hard drive is kind of small, but I have an external hard drive with plenty of space. My partitions on the second hard drive are set up such that the second primary partition is unused. This is where I would like to install Linux. I don't know too much about the different versions, but I was able to get...

External firewire HDD to dual-boot Linux with OS X on a G4 PowerBook
[crossposted] Hi group, I'm considering a LaCie Firewire 800 250GB D2 drive to hang onto my PowerBook G4 17" purely to accommodate Mandrake Linux 10, with a view to dual-booting alongside my existing OS X 10.3.3 internal drive. Can anybody here please tell me whether this is a viable scenario? I already have advice from elsewhere that this is possible in theory, but before I buy new hardware it would be nice to know whether someone has personal experience of successfully doing such a thing with this drive. Does anybody have an alternative recommendation to achieve this? Advoca...

Question:Can I boot from a floppy disk and install Linux from an external USB2.0 Drive
Hi, If I had made a linux file system on external USB2.0 drive then download the latest version of the Linux installation image files on it for friend's brand new machine Linux installtion, is there a specific boot floppy disk with USB driver built in for external USB drive installation. I knew the network boot disk can allow to do that installation on the local area network using the mounting way. But if this brand new machine is just a stand alone machine. If there is a way to do the installation using USB drive, then I can avoid the tedious buring CD image process and...

Linux on external drive
I have just bought an external hard drive and would like to play around with some linux distros. My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb drive (but does from a usb key. I wondered if it was possible to use the external drive using a boot manager on the main hard drive to load from the external drive? Thanks for your help -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Michael wrote: > I have just bought an external hard drive and would like to play around > with some linux distros. My motherboard doesn't support booting from a usb > drive (but does from a usb key. I wondered if it was possible to use the > external drive using a boot manager on the main hard drive to load from > the external drive? > A usb drive or a usb key .... the mainboard should see no difference at all. If you can set it to try a boot from usb (key or whatever is connected) first, then harddrive, you are the winner. -- vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software. Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962] ...

Which Linux OS should I install
I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's, but I couldn't get any of them to work. Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My skill level is quite amateurish. Thanks Jeff P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. I...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset | designer Enteos. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9710475530.html Open Linux developer phone opens up more ,----[ Quote ] | Trolltech has loosened key licensing restrictions on its | user-modifiable Linux-based mobile phone for open source software | developers. Users of the Greenphone will no longer be restricted to | running Qtopia software on the device, nor to using the device only | in its supplied hardware/software configuration. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4872069549.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will >| provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many >| thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") >| a...

[News] [Linux] Schools in Russia Install Linux
Experiment: first schools install Linux ,----[ Quote ] | "If the results are positive, the committee will suggest installing | Linux in all schools", Igor Bazlov added. `---- http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/06/05/253453 Related: Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead. | | [..] | | According to Karpushin, schools would ...

[News] [Linux] New PowerPC with Linux Preinstalled
PowerPC CPU module runs Linux on 24VDC ,----[ Quote ] | INAT GmbH is shipping a PowerPC-based PC/104 CPU module that | targets industrial applications requiring 24VDC power. The board | is based on a 266MHz AMCC 405EP processor and includes RAM and | flash memory, and Ethernet and serial ports, and comes with Linux | 2.4.25 pre-installed. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8072583364.html ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

Linux: Damn Small Linux freezes up during install
"I'm trying to install DSL 4.2.5 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I've specified "dsl noacpi noapm" at the boot prompt, but it appears to still get frozen shortly after skipping the ACPI work (it freezes immediately the message "Skipping ACPI Bios detection as requested on boot commandline."). Anyone have any other ideas to try?" http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/damnsmalllinux-42/dsl-4.2.5-install-freezes-computer-624067/?highlight=freezes Results 1 - 10 of about 2,610 for "linux freezes" Results 1 - 10 of about 34,300 for "windows f...

I have 40GB Hard drive, RH Linux installed, how can I install two more flavors?
I have 40GB HD, I installed RH Linux, I need to install Debian anb SuSE, How can I partition the current disk for two more flavors, appreciated for commands and help. Santa wrote: > I have 40GB HD, I installed RH Linux, I need to install Debian anb > SuSE, How can I partition the current disk for two more flavors, > appreciated for commands and help. .... use the partitioning tools during the install process for those -- << http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/ >> Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes to work. mjt <mjtobler@removethis_mail.ru> writes: ]Santa wrote: ]> I have 40GB HD, I installed RH Linux, I need to install Debian anb ]> SuSE, How can I partition the current disk for two more flavors, ]> appreciated for commands and help. You do not say how you partitioned the disk in the first place. Wipe the disk. place three partitions, each of size 5GB, which will be the / directories of each ofthe three distros. Make the rest of the disk into one partition which you can call /common Into /common you will place home, and othr common stuff. Then install each of the distros into their partition. Afterwards, do mv /home /home.old mkdir /common/home ln -s /common/home /home mv /home.old/* /common/home ]... use the partitioning tools during the install ]process for those ]-- ]<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/ >> ]Slang is...

[News] Video Proves That Linux Installation Easier Than OS X, Vista Installation
Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX, | and Ubuntu. `---- http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI Very recent items that support this: Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps ,----[ Quote ] | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on | Windows or the Mac OS. | | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they&...

Web resources about - install linux on an external firewire drive - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

BuzzFeed Tries Out an External Banner Ad
... the NBCUniversal streaming comedy service Seeso, over the weekend. The digital media site has long favored custom-made native ads over external ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

AMD XConnect wants to make external GPUs easier to use
AMD has introduced XConnect, a form of driver-level support for external graphics cards, as part of its latest Radeon 16.3 driver. XConnect allows ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Three external hard drives up to 5TB are on sale at deep discounts on Amazon
... it's always worth considering. Well wouldn't you know it, Amazon is currently offering bigger-than-normal discounts on three different external ...

Crisis management: 70% internal, 30% external
... the importance of that early experience. Today when I talk with executives about crisis management, their focus is almost exclusively external. ...

Merkel on refugee crisis: ‘We need protection of external borders’
“It is good if EU and Turkey share the burden, but we need protection of external borders,” said German Chancellor Angela Merkel on her arrival ...

AMD, Razer want to standardize external GPUs, bring desktop gaming to ultrabooks
For years, various laptop manufacturers and OEMs have tried to push external graphics chassis into the mainstream, with little success. It looks ...