Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog)

Forget Mandrake 9.1 for powerpc:

The installer is seriously buggy. It wouldn't read the A key on my
G4 powerbook nor did it have support for my video card.  It couldn't
even read the disk on my powermac G4. There are numerous bugs in the
software and problems with partitioning.  Since it is what I had first,
I tried to install it a score of times before my list of workarounds
ended up in a dead end with no video card support on the powerbook.

Gentoo is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, it doesn't understand the
most recent firmware on my G4 powermac and yaboot couldn't mount the
root partition.  My kernel wouldn't read the keyboard on my powerbook.
Of course, it is possible that with some slightly different options,
that would not have happened, but the answer wasn't obvious at all.
With gentoo, everything is pretty much a matter of compiling from
source.  It is like a simply designed kit for a biplane with beautifully
varnished wood and stainless steel cables all provided and all the
instructions you need to build the engine. But it wouldn't work on
either mac after carefully reading the documentation for every kernel
build option.

Yellow Dog Linux took Red Hat 9 from the hands of its exhausted
developers and made it even nicer.  It installed perfectly, first time,
on both computers.  After my problems with the other distributions of
Linux, I was glad I bought Yellow Dog's installation support, and I
received some useful pointers from one of Terra Soft's people on some
software installation issues.  The brightness and volume up/down/mute
keys work perfectly on the laptop, and the battery meter of gkrellm
does the trick.  It suspends perfectly when it is closed, and after
messing around with a weak AirPort basestation, I bought a cheap 4-port
router with 802.11b built in, and the gui support for wireless network
configuration worked perfectly.

After doing a text-based install and specifying the correct resolution,
my CinemaHD 23" display booted up perfectly first time, and support for
dual processors is also built in.  Audio on the powerbook didn't work
the first few boots, and now it is has corrected itself somehow, possibly
after an upgrade with yum (yellow dog's update manager). Soundsticks also
work perfectly (unlike in Red Hat 9).

I guess the main thing that Tera Soft would like to be known for is that
Yellow Dog is a beautiful turnkey linux solution that runs on nice Apple
hardware and is very familiar to users of Red Hat.

I eschew all forms of advertising and would never wear a logo, but for
a change I was very pleased to put the sticker on the lid of my laptop.
Just Yellow Dog's way of marking its territory, I guess...

Alonzo Gariepy

It goes without saying, that my sole relation to the makers
of Yellow Dog Linux is that of a paying, satisfied customer.

0
nospam342 (9)
9/26/2003 11:02:30 PM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

Re: Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog)
In article <pan.2003.09.26.23.02.30.376116@nospam.ns(nospam)>, Alonzo Gariepy <NOSPAM@nospam.ns(nospam)> wrote: > Forget Mandrake 9.1 for powerpc: > > Yellow Dog Linux took Red Hat 9 from the hands of its exhausted > developers and made it even nicer. It installed perfectly, first time, > on both computers. Hi Alonzo having spent the day failing to get Mandrake 9.1 onto my G4, I am ready to accept your first proposition!! So let me ask you a couple of questions about your second, as YDL2.2 and 2.3 were non-starters on an older PPC of mine. What version of YDL was so successful? Can I confirm your G4 is as recent as mine, 2 months old, Windtunnel? I'd appreciate you help. Thanks Dieter ...

Yellow Dog Linux (YDL) 3.0.1. vs. dual G4 Mac
Just a quick note from a Macintosh user who tried to install a CD-set of Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1. on a dual G4 (machine ID 1206). Nor BootX 1.2.2. nor Yaboot works, so installation is dead in the water for the lack of a booter. Though more polished than the SuSe I tried 4 years ago, this Linux release still needs more spinach until it's ready for the spotlight. I'll be back in 4 years again to check the next one. George wrote: > Just a quick note from a Macintosh user who tried to install a CD-set of > Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1. on a dual G4 (machine ID 1206). Nor BootX 1.2.2. >...

JDK 1.4.1 vs JDK 1.3.1
Hi, I have good emperical evidence (from direct experience) that Java 1.3.1 run time works well for server side, 24x7, high transaction rates apps. So here I am having to develop another such application from scratch and I need to pick a JDK to program against. Is 1.4.1 just as stable? Better? Worse? I know about NIO, asserts and all the cool features in 1.4.1, and I've used these is many smaller client side apps. They are not the unknowns. What I want is opinions about the stability and suitability of 1.4.1 over 1.3.1 for a high transaction rate, mission critical server sid...

1.9.1-p376 vs. 1.9.1-p378
I just noticed that both http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ and http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ advertise 1.9.1-p376, but ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ also contains ruby-1.9.1-p378 as well? Which is preferred? Regards, Jeremy Henty Jeremy Henty wrote: > I just noticed that both http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ and > http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ advertise 1.9.1-p376, but > ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ also contains ruby-1.9.1-p378 as > well? Which is preferred? > > Regards, > > Jeremy Henty p376 is the advertised as the ...

[News] Linux Reviews: Wolvix 1.1.0 and Sabayon Linux 3.4
Wolvix 1.1.0 Mini-Review & Screenshots ,----[ Quote ] | Wolvix is a Linux distribution released as an installable liveCD. Originally | based on Slax, it is now built upon Slackware and seems to concentrate highly | on multimedia. `---- http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/18822 Sabayon Linux: Something for everyone ,----[ Quote ] | If you've tried Sabayon in the past and found it lacking, give this version a | try. I'm glad I can finally give this derivative of my favorite distro a | thumbs-up. I just may continue using Sabayon as my main operating system. `---- http://www....

Oracle server 9.2.0.1.0, Client 9.2.0.4.0, Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1
Hi Everybody, My Database server is running on Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1, And my Oracle version is 9.2.0.1.0. My Client mechine also Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1 , Oracle client version is 9.2.0.4.0. I am running a web application. Our application is in Magic edeveloper. I connect to Oracle using oracle gateway to my application. My Problem is my application is is becoming slow. I am not able to trace where the problem is. Before our application was running fine. recently i upgraded Oracle client version to 9.2.0.4.0. My Oracle client & server versi...

[News] New Releases of GNU/Linux: GParted 0.4.7-1, Caos 1.0.25, Baltix 4.1

Java 1.4.2 Vs 1.5 Vs 1.6
I'm sure this question has been posted but I've not found anydefinitive answer.I maintain a product line that consists of a dedicated Linux systemrunning Java to provide a GUI interface as a control system forunderlying hardware. I've been working to move to jdk 1.5 (not hardbut I'm busy) and now this new DST thing which is not covered by theversion I've been porting to (1.5.0-b64) makes me want to rethingabout going to the latest 1.6. It seems every version change hadproblems in the beginning and I didn't even try 1.6 because of that.Now I'm thinking about it again...

[News] New Reviews of Tiny Core Linux 2.1, CDLinux 0.9.2, Live Linux Gaming 0.9.5, PCLinuxOS Minime 09.1

SAS 9.1.1 Vs SAS EG 4.1
Dear SAS-L listers, I have tried the following sas code in both SAS 9.1(PC sas) and SAS EG 4.1 connected to a SAS 9.1.3 server on a unix machine. I am getting totally different results. Can anybody tell me why is this so? In SAS EG 4.1, I used cards/datalines to input the data, then i get the same result as in SAS 9.1(PC sas). The table ID created by the program has missing values, when executed in SAS EG 4.1. The same table ID does not have any missing values in PC sas. Is there any options or steps which will make the program give the same result, irrespective of PC sas or SAS EG 4.1. Pl...

Linux: Oracle9i DB 9.2, Oracle9i DS 9.0.2, Oracle9i AS 1.0.2.2.1(Forms, Reports) on Fedora Core 1
I have installed with Philippe ALEXANDRE on a laptop Oracle9i DB 9.2, Oracle9i DS 9.0.2, Oracle9i AS 1.0.2.2.1(Forms6i, Reports6i) on Fedora Core 1 the 8th November 2003. All is running OK. Denis ALEXANDRE Assistant Manager, Banque Saradar France http://www.alexnet.fr/ P.S. I am using Oracle and Unix to create an Integrated Banking System since 1987. This banking system is installed in more than 25 other banks. ...

HTTPConnection and 1.0 vs. 1.1
[BTW, is there no J2ME group?] I have questions regarding the J2ME/MIDP connection manager HTTPConnection and HTTP 1.0 vs. 1.1 - although the question is probably not J2ME-specific. (I'm using MIDP 1.0.) I have a working moble client/server application, and as setting up and tearing down a socket over the mobile network is something I can see I'd like to keep to a minimum, I'd like to know how to best take advantage of HTTP 1.1. (Currently my back end is MS IIS.) I have noticed the following behavior: - The HTTP request seems to be actaully sent when I try and open the inputStr...

g++ 4.1.1 with pthread option on powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
hi, I'm porting a C++ multithread application from Solaris to IBM AIX 5.3 platform. The gcc configuration is : g++ -v Using built-in specs. Target: powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 Configured with: ./configure --prefix=/home/dwam4/cross/aix64 --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-nls Thread model: aix gcc version 4.1.1 The compiler options are: CXXFLAGS="-O2 -g -pthread -maxi64" LDFLAGS="-lpthread" All sources compile without error but when i execute the output I get "segmentation fault...

Java 1.4.2 Vs 1.5 Vs 1.6 #2
I'm sure this question has been posted but I've not found any definitive answer. I maintain a product line that consists of a dedicated Linux system running Java to provide a GUI interface as a control system for underlying hardware. I've been working to move to jdk 1.5 (not hard but I'm busy) and now this new DST thing which is not covered by the version I've been porting to (1.5.0-b64) makes me want to rething about going to the latest 1.6. It seems every version change had problems in the beginning and I didn't even try 1.6 because of that. Now I'm thinking about it again. Can anyone give me a level of comfort about just going to the latest jdk and jre? Is there an advantage to going to the latest 1.6 versus the last 1.5? The liability of 1.6 is, of course, it's not as tested as the previous releases but, as java has matured, I think that some of that may be pretty minimal. I don't have enough data to judge. Can I get opinions? Any input is greatly appreciated. James Kimble wrote: > I'm sure this question has been posted but I've not found any > definitive answer. > > I maintain a product line that consists of a dedicated Linux system > running Java to provide a GUI interface as a control system for > underlying hardware. I've been working to move to jdk 1.5 (not hard > but I'm busy) and now this new DST thing which is not covered by the > version I've been porting to (1.5.0-b64) makes me...

[ANN] Arachno Ruby IDE 0.1.1 (for SUSE 9.1/9.2 and Ubuntu Linux)
Hello, This fixes a few small bugs, so that it now runs after installation (very usefull feature :-) It requires Kernel 2.6 and if you have a newer glibc and should otherwise work distribution independent. No RPM file at the moment, everything lives in $HOME/ArachnoRuby. You can download it from http://www.ruby-ide.com/download_ruby.php -- Best regards, emailto: scholz at scriptolutions dot com Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com CTO Scriptolutions Ruby, PHP, Python IDE 's This version runs fine on archlinux...

[News] 4 New GNU/Linux Releases: KnoMath 1.2, eAR OS 1.09, Resulinux 2.9, Absolute 12.1.01

Re: SAS 9.1.1 Vs SAS EG 4.1
Kumar If you are using SAS EG connected to a unix server, and you are submitting the code on the unix server - then yes, I would expect you to get missing value as the unix server in all liklehood cannot see "c:\......" Perhaps you could check the LOG generated by SAS EG and forward that to the list. Cheers Robin ---- SAS-L Nirmal <lazybone2k@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Dear SAS-L listers, > > I have tried the following sas code in both SAS 9.1(PC sas) and SAS EG 4.1 > connected to a SAS 9.1.3 server on a unix machine. I am getting totally > different results. Can an...

HELP: Unicode in Java 1.3.1 vs 1.4.2
Hi All, according to http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/text/string.html: "If a byte array contains non-Unicode text, you can convert the text to Unicode with one of the String constructor methods. Conversely, you can convert a String object into a byte array of non-Unicode characters with the String.getBytes method. When invoking either of these methods, you specify the encoding identifier as one of the parameters." It works fine in Java 1.3.1 ------------------------------------------------------------------ // Convert ASCII to Unicode str_uni = new String(str_ascii.g...

0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1
This is gcc 4.8.1 with no compiler option used: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main( void ) { double x = rand() < 0 ? 0 : 0.1; double y = rand() < 0 ? 0 : 0.3; printf( "%g\n", x + x + x - y ); printf( "%g\n", 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 - 0.3 ); } 2.77556e-017 5.55112e-017 The second number written becomes �0� as soon as I add the compiler option �-std=c11�, why? On 10/23/14 9:41 PM, Stefan Ram wrote: > This is gcc 4.8.1 with no compiler option used: > > #include <stdio.h> > #include <stdlib.h...

CCS 3.1 vs 3.0.1
Hi, I am looking for some information on whats new In TI Code composer studio 3.1 expect to me they have merged it for all processors. Any comment will be helpful. Regards, Soumit What's New in Code Composer Studio Development Tools v3.1 (Rev. A) : http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/spraa07a/spraa07a.pdf <soumit.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121282139.177500.78040@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I am looking for some information on whats new In TI Code composer > studio 3.1 expect to me they have merged it for all processors. > Any comment wi...

Yellow Dog Linux 4.0.1 -- Force Text Install?
Hey folks, I just downloaded and burned the 4.0.1 install CDs, got BootX all setup on my Beige G3, but things at the installer level seem to want more resolution or refresh than my poor litle 14" Apple monitor has capacity for (640x480, 67Hz -- I've passed video= to the kernel, so that part understands my video hardware at least) ). Is there any way to FORCE a text-mode install all the way through this thing, totally eschewing the graphical installer? Is there an argument I can enter at the kernel level to pass through? I'm fairly new to all this, but I am eager to learn a little something. Any help or comments mas appreciated, -Wendell -- web: www.meetro.com phone: 312.275.7865 fax: 312.275.7865 icq: 12107743 skyp: wendell_iii msn: wadmoose@hotmail.com gg: 7116285 aim: wadm00se Never mind guys, I just discovered the "no video driver" checkbox. :) On 2005-07-12 19:12:21 -0500, Wendell III <wendell@meetro.com> said: > Hey folks, > > I just downloaded and burned the 4.0.1 install CDs, got BootX all setup > on my Beige G3, but things at the installer level seem to want more > resolution or refresh than my poor litle 14" Apple monitor has capacity > for (640x480, 67Hz -- I've passed video= to the kernel, so that part > understands my video hardware at least) ). Is there any way to FORCE a > text-mode install all the way through this thing, totally eschewing the > graphical installer? Is...

ZIP GSX 1.0.1 vs 1.0.2
Hi, I have a couple of ZIP GSX boards that are version 1.0.1. Since i have had them i had always wondered what the difference was between this version and the 1.0.2 versions that came out later. I upgraded one card myself to 12.5Mhz and 32K cache and that board doesnt have any logic chip sockets at all. My other one I sent of to get upgraded to 12.5Mhz and 64K Cache and i think it came back (was about 5 years ago so not 100%) with logic chip sockets and labels for which chip goes were... I have a picture of the card ftp://drewbie.dyndns.org/UPG_ZIPGS.JPG My question is what did the logic chi...

Port 6667 & 10.0.1.128/1.1.1.1/1.3.3.7
Hello, I'm seeing a lot of traffic trying to leave my firewall destined for port 6667 at the IPs 10.0.1.128, 10.10.10.10, 1.1.1.1 and 1.3.3.7 (sounds like l337/elite to me :-). Yes - I know the 10.x.x.x traffic isn't going too far.... RFC1918, etc, etc. Various Google searches and searches on the various A/V sites haven't turned up a definite answer - just more questions about the same thing. Can anyone clue me in to the exact trojan/worm/virus this may be and/or if they're seeing the same kind of traffic. Any insight is appreciated.... Thanks. B > Hello, > >...

calloc(1,1) vs. *malloc(1)=0
To make up a proper dynamically allocated empty C string, would it suffice to say: return calloc(1, 1); or am I better off using the longer version char *p = malloc(1); if (p) *p = 0; return p; ? TIA rihad <rihad@mail.ru> wrote: >To make up a proper dynamically allocated empty C string, would it suffice to >say: > > return calloc(1, 1); > >or am I better off using the longer version > > char *p = malloc(1); > if (p) *p = 0; > return p; Both versions may return NULL, which is not a pointer to an empty string. Unless you expect the caller...

Web resources about - Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog) - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Rooting and installing Android 1.5 JesusFreke - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
More information at: android.noisepages.com/2009/05/rooting-pics/

Installing ClearCal Anti-Glare Film for Glossy Displays - YouTube
Demonstration of how to install a RadTech ClearCal Anti-Glare Film on a MacBook Pro. ClearCal eliminates glare on glossy displays like Apple's ...

Nine Sydney councils are getting ready to turn off the lights &ndash; 13,000 of them &ndash; to save more than $20 million.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper