linux - 3.2.0-4-powerpc64 [Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)] -- gcc only 32-bit pointers - how get 64-bit pointers?

I am 'amazed' by the gcc compiler (picked up via apt-get install ...)

It seems it is only giving 32-bit pointers.

Let's assume I have done something wrong - please tell me what.

"ptr.c" [New File] 9 lines, 181 characters written
root@x066:/data/smoker/perl-blead# gcc -o ptr ptr.c
root@x066:/data/smoker/perl-blead# ./ptr
size of Char Pointer is: 4 bytes

root@x066:/data/smoker# apt-get install gcc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gcc is already the newest version.
gcc set to manually installed.
root@x066:/data/smoker# gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.6.3-14) 4.6.3

p.s. Also tested on ubuntu

root@x067:/home/michael# gcc -o ptr ptr.c
root@x067:/home/michael# ./ptr
Size Char Ptr:4
Size Void Ptr:4
root@x067:/home/michael# gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2

mamfelt
2/7/2015 3:32:51 PM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

mamfelt@gmail.com writes:
> I am 'amazed' by the gcc compiler (picked up via apt-get install ...)
>
> It seems it is only giving 32-bit pointers.
>
> Let's assume I have done something wrong - please tell me what.

As far as I can see, the Debian ppc port only supports 32-bit object
code.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
0
<mamfelt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am 'amazed' by the gcc compiler (picked up via apt-get install ...)
>
> It seems it is only giving 32-bit pointers.
>
> Let's assume I have done something wrong - please tell me what.
>
> "ptr.c" [New File] 9 lines, 181 characters written
> root@x066:/data/smoker/perl-blead# gcc -o ptr ptr.c
> root@x066:/data/smoker/perl-blead# ./ptr
> size of Char Pointer is: 4 bytes
>
> root@x066:/data/smoker# apt-get install gcc
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> gcc is already the newest version.
> gcc set to manually installed.
> root@x066:/data/smoker# gcc --version
> gcc (Debian 4.6.3-14) 4.6.3
>

> p.s. Also tested on ubuntu
>
> root@x067:/home/michael# gcc -o ptr ptr.c
> root@x067:/home/michael# ./ptr
> Size Char Ptr:4
> Size Void Ptr:4
> root@x067:/home/michael# gcc --version
> gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2

To me it seems, you have a 64bit kernel and a 32bit userland. So the gcc
only supports 32bit. But I'm not sure about that.
0
playforvoices

Compiling SQLite Tcl bindings for 32-bit linux on 64-bit linux
This afternoon I compiled the SQLite 3.8 Tcl bindings for windows and 64-bit linux, and thought I would try a 32-bit compile on the linux box too. I already had the gcc multilib packages installed. First I did: ../configure --host=i686-linux-gnu "CFLAGS=-m32" "CXXFLAGS=-m32" "LDFLAGS=-m32" (all on one line). That seemed to run okay, but make failed with: gcc -shared -m32 -pipe -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -fPIC -m32 -Wl,--export-dynamic -o libsqlite3.8.0.so tclsqlite3.o -lpthread -L/home/gsnyder/ActiveTcl-8.6/lib -ltclstub8.6 /us...

Linux, Linux, Linux

32 bit Matlab install on 64 bit linux -- missing 32 bit libXp.so.6 library?
I'm trying to install 32 bit Matlab on 64 bit linux I have seen the Technical Solution <http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-O7POO.html?1-O7POO> and some notes for fixing this problem on Fedora <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-106502.html> However, I'm running Ubuntu 2.6.12-9-amd64-generic, and neither of these takes me all the way to a solution. I'm at the point where I can run the installer with the following: root@lanczos:/usr/local/matlab71_sv# /usr/local/install/install_unix.sh -glnx86 -t -nocp /usr/local/install/unix/install...

32 bit pointer to 64 bit pointer
Hi, I am porting a 32-bit application to 64-bit application (AMD). I am getting the error: XXX.cpp(49) : warning C4267: '=' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'long', possible loss of data XXX.cpp(84) : error C2664: 'HRESULT BinValue::get(const unsigned char *&,long &)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'unsigned char *' to 'const unsigned char *&' Conversion loses qualifiers NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2' In 64 bit AMD programming the data type unsigned INT_PTR (unsigned int*) is UINT_PTR and for uns...

64 bit linux and 64 bit icfb executable #2
Is there a 64 bit icfb executable for linux. Are there any known issues in running 32 bit icfb on 64 bit linux thanks, Sriram ...

[News] Ubuntu Linux 7.04
Ubuntu: 32-bit v. 64-bit Performance ,----[ Quote ] | Looking over the results 64-bit Ubuntu was able to provide a strong | advantage in the GCC benchmarks with both LAME and the Linux 2.6.19 | kernel compilation. However, a slight advantage had remained with | both Unreal Tournament 2004 and the LAME encoding tests in a 32-bit | environment. Outside of the i386 and x86_64 analysis, it is also | worth noting that at this time there are no real speed increases | between Edgy Eft and Feisty Fawn; however, this was only the first | Alpha (Herd) release of many to come before the April 2007 relea...

DB2 8.1 32-bit Linux migration to 8.2 64-bit on AIX
We plan on migrating our 32-bit DB2 UDB v8.1 database on Linux to 64-bit DB2 UDB v8.2 on AIX. Can anyone suggest the best way to accomplish this. According to IBM, a backup image can't be restored across different OS's. Is the best way to extract DDL and import data? Hopefully someone out here has gone through this experience!! Thanks, Chris Yes, db2look to extract DDL and SP, triggers, grants, etc. Then db2move (or your own export/import) to move the data. Thanks, that worked just fine. Just wanted to make sure that was the best option. As a follow up, I'd li...

11.1.0.7 for Linux is out, both 64 and 32 bit versions
The patch number is: 6890831 Patch cannot be seen yet in the Metalink patch lists (I really, really do hate flash, with passion!) but can be downloaded if addressed by number. Happy testing. -- http://mgogala.freehostia.com On Sep 24, 8:22=A0am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...@gmail.com> wrote: > The patch number is: 6890831 > Patch cannot be seen yet in the Metalink patch lists =A0(I really, really= do > hate flash, with passion!) but can be downloaded if addressed by number. > Happy testing. Now installed on a couple of my 64 bit linux systems ... so far so good. Looks ...

[News] [Linux] MLDesigner Extended to 64-bit Linux, RadiSys Uses Linux in Its Solutions
MLDesigner Gets Improved Memory Management ,----[ Quote ] | MLDesigner 2.7 adds support for 64-bit Linux operating | systems, which can control significantly more memory | than 32-bit Linux operating systems. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/88247/index.html RadiSys Introduces Groundbreaking Convedia Software Media Server ,----[ Quote | New Linux-based, multi-core optimized IP media processing solution | addresses needs of enterprise VoIP, ATCA, and IMS markets `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/88247/index.html Related: Radisys Introduces Enhanced Development Envi...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

Web resources about - linux - 3.2.0-4-powerpc64 [Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)] -- gcc only 32-bit pointers - how get 64-bit pointers? - comp.os.linux.powerpc

New Ted Cruz Ad Attacks Donald Trump’s ‘New York Values’
A new ad from Ted Cruz’s campaign takes aim at Donald Trump, painting the candidate as the wrong choice for Iowa conservatives. The spot—paid ...

NFL: Microsoft Surface problems during AFC Championship ‘not caused by tablets’
The NFL wants to make it clear that Microsoft Surface tablets are not to blame for a technology malfunction during Sunday’s AFC Championship ...

Will Twitter Shakeups Make It Relevant Again?
Twitter just fired four top executives and plans to continue its corporate shakeups even more in the coming weeks, but will the changes make ...

Emergency Water In Flint Is Not Reaching Undocumented Immigrants
Up until just about today, the outpouring of reporting from Flint, Mich. had forgotten the stories of the people it’s easiest to forget: undocumented ...

Winter Storm Jonas inspired some ‘Snow-nas Brothers’ snowmen
While the Jonas Brothers were busy "Burnin' Up" social media with hilarious winter storm memes this past weekend, the Snownas Brothers were chillin' ...

ISIS video shows attackers committing atrocities before Paris siege
PARIS — A new video released by the Islamic State group purports to show the extremists who carried out the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris committing ...

Texas Grand Jury Clears Planned Parenthood of Wrongdoing, Indicts Anti-Abortion Activists Instead
A grand jury in Texas has indicted the two Center for Medical Progress activists who secretly shot videos of Planned Parenthood officials, one ...

Europe's space laser communications system will launch this week
A "space data highway" that links satellites using high-speed laser transmissions should take a big step forward this week with the launch of ...

Checking out tvOS’ 9.1.1’s restored Podcasts app
Andrew Cunningham The first of the app's five tabs focuses on unplayed episodes from shows you've subscribed to. 7 more images in gallery ...

Escaped California Inmates Were Charged With Violent Crimes
Three inmates who made a daring escape from a California jail were awaiting trial on charges involving violent crimes