Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler

Hi,

I have a copy of the PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 from Motorola for an
embedded board with a PPC603e processor.  I want to replace the
compiler with the GNU toolset chain and eventually port Linux over to
this board.  Is the MOT Compiler actually GCC?  Is the MOT compiler and
GCC binary compatible??  Is the MOT compiler freely distributable???

Thanks,

Ram

0
rmeenaks (29)
9/14/2005 3:16:06 PM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

rmeenaks@olf.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a copy of the PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 from Motorola for an
> embedded board with a PPC603e processor.  I want to replace the
> compiler with the GNU toolset chain and eventually port Linux over to
> this board.  Is the MOT Compiler actually GCC?

Unlikely. Motorola has excellent PowerPC compilers, one such is MrC
included with Apple's MPW.

> Is the MOT compiler and
> GCC binary compatible??  Is the MOT compiler freely distributable???

It didn't come with a license?

--T

> Thanks,
>

> Ram

0
toby23 (1177)
10/2/2005 6:33:22 PM
Hi Toby,

Its really not a matter of licenses, etc.  I would much rather use the
GCC compiler as its freely available.  Distributing the motorola
compiler freely is out of the question unfortunately.  I have the same
problem with the DIAB PowerPC compiler as well....

Cheers,

Ram

0
rmeenaks (29)
10/6/2005 5:58:01 PM
rmeenaks@olf.com wrote:
> Hi Toby,
>
> Its really not a matter of licenses, etc.  I would much rather use the
> GCC compiler as its freely available.

Have you considered lcc (a complete semi-optimising ANSI C compiler)? I
can vouch that it would not be too difficult to produce a target for
PPC (in any flavour of assembler you want). There is existing work on a
machine description for PPC. What do you think?

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

> Distributing the motorola
> compiler freely is out of the question unfortunately.  I have the same
> problem with the DIAB PowerPC compiler as well....
>

> Cheers,
>
> Ram

0
toby23 (1177)

program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler
Hi, I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler. Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru KBG <karthik.balaguru@lntinfotech.com> wrote: > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. No problem, just send $10 to paypal@zevv.nl and I'll do your homework for you. -- :wq ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C KBG said: > Hi, > > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. Can you think of any syntactic differences between C and C++? For example, what about keywords? They are very, very sen...

Are sun studio C/C++ compilers and Forte C/C++ compilers same ??
Is there any difference between sun studio compilers and forte compilers??? or the names have been changed??? In article <1145338052.955429.256610@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, "ameya_agnihotri" <ameyaagnihotri22@gmail.com> writes: > Is there any difference between sun studio compilers and forte > compilers??? > or the names have been changed??? One of many name changes in the product's history (including amongst others, Java somethingortheother, Workshop, Proworks/Teamworks, and probably more I've forgotten). Of course, the versions and features cha...

what are the benefits in using commercial compilers like intel, greenhill or portland compared to free c compiles like gcc, lcc, tcc, TenDRA, sun and others? geletine wrote: > what are the benefits in using commercial compilers like intel, > greenhill or portland compared to free c compiles like gcc, lcc, tcc, > TenDRA, sun and others? > <mostly non-topical> As we have no idea of your interests, potential benefits may not be meaningful in your projects. More than one of these commercial compilers is more efficient about vectorization, although gcc is closing the gap. <...

Building GCC-4.1.1 C/C++ compiler for LPC3180 + VFP + Embedded Linux
Hello, I want to have a cross compiler running on my win32 cygwin, that can cross compile C/C++ code for LPC3180 with VFP to run on embedded linux. I downloaded gcc-4.1.1 source onto win32 cygwin (I dont even know if I downloaded the right compiler source for the job), and started reading the instructions on how to compile the compiler. First it says you have to configure the build, then build the compiler. I'm not an expert and there are so many configuration parameters to configure the build before building the actual compiler, that I know will take me 100 years to figu...

Building GCC-4.1.1 C/C++ compiler for LPC3180 + VFP + Embedded Linux
Hello, I want to have a cross compiler running on my win32 cygwin, that can cross compile C/C++ code for LPC3180 with VFP to run on embedded linux. I downloaded gcc-4.1.1 source onto win32 cygwin (I dont even know if I downloaded the right compiler source for the job), and started reading the instructions on how to compile the compiler. First it says you have to configure the build, then build the compiler. I'm not an expert and there are so many configuration parameters to configure the build before building the actual compiler, that I know will take me 100 years to figure out. Does...

C vs. C++ and C compiler optimization question
/* Consider the following C snippet: */ Foo *pFoo = NULL; void FooLength(Foo *pFoo); void FooHello(Foo **ppFoo); void FooWorld(Foo **ppFoo); void FooLength(Foo *pFoo) { int count = 0; for (Foo *p = pFoo; *p; p++) ++count; return count; } void FooHello(Foo **ppFoo) { int count = FooLength(*ppFoo); // ... } void FooWorld(Foo **ppFoo) { int count = FooLength(*ppFoo); // ... } // Consider the following C++ snippet: class FooHelloWorld { public: void FooHello(Foo **ppFoo) { iCount = FooLength(*ppFoo); // ... } void FooWorld(Foo **ppFoo) { // no need to recompute iCount // ... } private: void FooLength(Foo *pFoo) { int count = 0; for (Foo *p = pFoo; *p; p++) ++count; return count; } int iCount; Foo **ppFoo = NULL; }; ---------------------------------------------------------- We could have done the same in C by adding an extra global variable or function parameter. However, global variables tend to pollute, so in C we don't tend to keep too many of them, and too many function parameters can make a function too hard to understand. On the other hand in C++ we can place global variables inside classes so we can cache results easily without the need to pollute the global namespace or pass many arguments around. I wonder if the C compiler could notice that the same count value is being reused and automatically optimize by creating a global ...

Compiled C vs C++
Hi, since I've done a bit of Java recently, I'm thinking of using some C++ instead of C, just because the "class" syntax is looking more convenient now. One thing that makes me wonder is C++ code size though. I've heard that C++ is supposed to be just a souped up C that makes you "pay as you go", and I don't intend to go anywhere far. But a small toy class I wrote generated much more code than the equivalent C struct, when instantiated in a test main(). The C code did just what it was supposed to: malloc, fill some struct fields and return. The C...

Will C pgm compile on C++ compiler?
I had C programming in school years ago and would like to play with it again. When I go online I only seem to be able to find C++ compilers. I know that C++ is object oriented, whereas C is not. I can get a good price on Visual C++ 6.0. Is there a way to run native C programs on a C++ compiler? Thanks, Ken [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] "Ken Applequist" <apple07840@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Sh%1d.4320$F75.1229@trndny01>... > I had C programming in school ...

Writing a C/C++ compiler in C++
I've been thinking of writing a C++ compiler in C++ over the next several years, and I was wondering what's changed in writing a compiler? I've been pouring over these groups and there seems to be a lot of tools for starting but is the modern process still the same? As far as I understand it you write a lexer that tokenizes all the symbols, then write a parser that parses all of the tokens, then walks the parse tree to generate the asm or IL that gets shoved to the backend. So it seemed straightforward except that C++ isn't a LALR(1) grammer that Bison or Byacc accepts. Does ...

compiling c code but libraries are compiled in c++
hi, We have written cunit code for testing some APIs. defination of those APIs are in c++ and .so library is created of them. when I compile my cunit code it gets compiled successfully but while liking it gives undefined reference to symbol. can anyone help me in this matter. Regards Sumit Shrivastava On 29 May 2007 04:11:14 -0700 sumit <sumit.shrivastava09@gmail.com> wrote: | We have written cunit code for testing some APIs. defination of | those APIs are in c++ and .so library is created of them. when I | compile my cunit code it gets compiled successf...

how to compile ACE using Intel C Plus Plus Compiler 9.1 on windows and Linux ?
Version: 5.5.6 host: windows xp sp2, suse linux enterprise server 9 sp2 compiler: vs.net 2003, gcc 3.3.3 how to compile ACE using Intel C Plus Plus Compiler 9.1 on windows and Linux ? is there any documents that discribes it? thanks! ...

Compile time of C++ vs C#
Hi, I am curious to know why C# code much faster than a similar sized C++ code. How does MSIL help? Does having a common base class like object help in reducing compile times? Thanks, Shireesh [The optimizer is usually the slowest part of a compiler and I would guess that MSIL offers fewer opportunities than native code. -John] On 2009-09-01, Shirsoft <shirsoft@gmail.com> wrote: > I am curious to know why C# code much faster than a similar sized C++ > code. How does MSIL help? Does having a common base class like object > help in reducing compile times? Which C++ compiler? ...

Structure padding differences using GNU PPC compiler in vxWorks 5.4 with C & C++
We are building a C++ app that is integrated with some legacy code developed in C. Both sets of code are using the GNU PPC compiler that shipped with 5.4, but the C++ code is using the appropriate flags to enable C++ support. An issue we ran into is that the structure padding/member alignment changes when C++ support is enabled. For example, consider the following two structs: struct in { char x; char y; int z; void * d; }; struct foolio{ int w; int x; void * z; struct in blah; }; If the structs were defined in a common header file and used by both C and C++ code, the "in&q...

Re: Will C pgm compile on C++ compiler?
Ken Applequist wrote: > I had C programming in school years ago and would like to play with it > again. When I go online I only seem to be able to find C++ compilers. I know > that C++ is object oriented, whereas C is not. I can get a good price on > Visual C++ 6.0. Is there a way to run native C programs on a C++ compiler? Several authors implied that a C++ compiler can compile C programs. This is only correct with some restrictions. For example, you can obviously not use C++ keywords as identifiers. For example, the following is a legal C program but will fail using C++: in...

C compiles, C++ Does Not
I recently installed DJGPP on my system. There was no problem during the install. However I can compile C programs without any problems but when I try to compile a C++ program I get a long list of error messages and the file will not compile. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be ? On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:35:45 GMT in comp.os.msdos.djgpp, charlesreed@eatel.net (Charles Reed) wrote: > I recently installed DJGPP on my system. There was no >problem during the install. However I can compile C programs without >any problems but when I try to compile a C++ program I get a...

Compiling C into C++
I'm trying to include a C header file from an external library in my C+ + program but when I compile I get the following error: error: expected unqualified-id before 'private' error: abstract declarator 'void*' used as declaration error: expected ';' before 'private' It didn't take me long to figure out that the offending C header file uses a variable with the name "private". I've reproduced the problem as follows: /* -------- a.h - the C header file */ #ifndef TEST_H #define TEST_H struct s { void *private; }; #endif /* -------- end...

which c/c++ compiler?
Hi all, I'd like to know if Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 can be used for real-time applications. I'm a new user of Matlab and I'm trying to use Simulink and Real-Time Windows Target for acquiring data coming from an accelerometer. I've read in RTWT tutorial that is recommended the use of Microsoft Visual C/C++ or Watcom compiler..... Bye! Hi, Read the solution give at the following link, http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-1BRI9.html?solution=1-1BRI9 Bye! On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:32:21 GMT, Alessandra wrote: >Hi all, >I'd like to know if Microso...

Re: [ace-users] how to compile ACE using Intel C Plus Plus Compiler 9.1 on windows and Linux ?
Hi, Have a look at the scoreboard, there you find the Intel C++ builds Remedy IT has running (see http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/integrated.html and http://remedy.nl). We don't have explicit documentation about Intel C++, on windows it emulates msvc, on linux gcc. We deliver commercial support for Intel C++, see www.theaceorb.nl for our services. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl *** Next ACE Training May 7-10, see www.theaceorb.nl *** *** Commercial service and support for ACE/TAO/CIAO *** <hongxing777@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1177396730.223186.19290@c18g2000prb.googlegroups.com>... > Version: 5.5.6 > host: windows xp sp2, suse linux enterprise server 9 sp2 > compiler: vs.net 2003, gcc 3.3.3 > > how to compile ACE using Intel C Plus Plus Compiler 9.1 on windows and > Linux ? > is there any documents that discribes it? > > thanks! > On Apr 24, 2:47 pm, "Johnny Willemsen" <jwillem...@remedy.nl> wrote: > Hi, > > Have a look at the scoreboard, there you find the Intel C++ builds Remedy IT > has running (seehttp://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/integrated.html > andhttp://remedy.nl). We don't have explicit documentation about Intel C++, > on windows it emulates msvc, on linux gcc. We deliver commercial support for > Intel C++, seew...

C++ to C compiler
Hi all. I've made a tool which compiles a C++-like language and produces good old C99 (with some gcc extensions in certain cases). Maybe it can get in the free-compilers list. It is interesting because by studing the -readable- generated C code you an understand how C++ features are implemented. It's also easy to add new features and extensions. The URL is: http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/lwc/index.html It is only known to work on a gcc/gnu-libc system and it is definitelly BETA. The parser is written entirely in C. I'm currently working on a builtin regular expressio...

Borland C++ Compiler 5.5 & Embarcadero C++ 6.60
Hello, For a few weeks, I downloaded the Compiler 6.60 and did some tests. During a first compilation of my application, I didn't see any problem. But after a few weeks of using this generated 6.60 EXE, I got a few problem in some .prg of my application. Some modules crash. Actually I can't find out why. This append within a module without any information! I see only "MyApp has stopped working!" that's all. Now I switched back to BCC 5.5 I'm using xHarbour with gtwvw and pagescript32 as spez. lib! Did somebody have had the same problem? Regards Otto Otto, > Now I switched back to BCC 5.5 Try BCC 5.8.2. It's a trade-off between 5.5 a newer ones, probably more compatible with 5.5 compiled code. > I'm using xHarbour with gtwvw and pagescript32 as spez. lib! The problem could be in the third party libs. EMG -- EMAG Software Homepage: http://www.emagsoftware.it The EMG Music page: http://www.emagsoftware.it/emgmusic The EMG's ZX-Spectrum Page: http://www.emagsoftware.it/spectrum The Best of Spectrum Games: http://www.emagsoftware.it/tbosg Dear Otto Haldi: On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:25:14 AM UTC-7, Otto Haldi wrote: .... > For a few weeks, I downloaded the Compiler 6.60 > and did some tests. During a first compilation > of my application, I didn't see any problem. > But after a few weeks of using this generated > 6.60 EXE, I got a few prob...

ARM C/C++ compiler independent of OS
i want to use some ARM C/C++ compiler which is independent of the operating system. What i am looking for is plain translation of my C/C++ benchmarking code into plain ARM assebly and then into binaries... if i use the ADS C/C++ compiler it generates some software interrupts which kinda throws everything off track... Did any one have the same problem before...? or shoudl i get started with writing my own ARM compiler (but would take ages (: ) Thanks Kartik Kartik Krishnan wrote: > i want to use some ARM C/C++ compiler which is independent of the > operating system. > What i am looki...

Borland C/C++ Compiler 3.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0084_01C3D12D.B9B97B20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Folks I am in desparite need of a cp of TC 3.1 for DOS (yes DOS). Does that = version include ASM, Debugger etc Cheers, Bryan ------=_NextPart_000_0084_01C3D12D.B9B97B20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DConten...

Best PowerPC C++ compiler?
I need a recommendation for a PowerPC C++ compiler. I'm going to target a MPC5200 (probably) or another with floating point support for fast math in a DSP-like application that may not even be running an OS. I have an existing code base of C++ classes written/tested on a Windows platform using Visual Studio, and want to port much of it to the PowerPC. I need to find a compiler that supports: - C++ exception handling - C++ templates - Standard Template Library (STL) Any recommendations? (If there is a better forum for this post, please advise). Thanks. "Ed J&q...

[ace-users] [Compilation] Problem compiling ACE+TAO+CIAO 5.6.3 with Portland Group C++ compiler
Subject: [area]: [synopsis] ACE VERSION: 5.6.3 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Ubuntu 7.10 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: (Same) COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Portland Group C++ compiler (pgcc 7.1-6 32-bit target on x86 Linux -tp core2). THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform- specific file, simply state which one]: #include "ace/config-linux.h" THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++)]: platform_linux_pgi.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): I did not use MPC to prepare the makefiles since I downloaded a prepackaged copy of ACE+TAO+CIAO AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: ACE DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? Yes LINKING? No EXECUTION? No OTHER (please specify)? SYNOPSIS: Unrecognized command options are used "-Wc, -tused" "-fone_instantiation_per_object" and "-fprelink_objects" DESCRIPTION: I followed the traditional build guide for making ACE according to the INSTALL.html. I created the ace/config.h and the include/makeinclude/platform_macros....

Web resources about - Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Motorola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the original company which split in 2011. For the mobile phone manufacturer, see Motorola Mobility . For the equipment ...

Motorola Mobility - Motorola Solutions - United Kingdom
Motorola, Inc. separates Jan. 4, 2011. Read more from Motorola Mobility or Motorola Solutions .

9to5Toys Lunch Break: LG 34″ QHD Monitor $570, Motorola Refurb Cable Modem $40, 10-ft. Lightning Cable ...
... 34-inch UltraWide Displays: LG w/ Thunderbolt $570 (Reg. $700+) , Dell Curved $675 (Reg. $750) It’s 2016, stop renting your cable modem: Motorola ...

Qualcomm Quick Charge vs Oppo VOOC vs MediaTek PumpExpress+ vs Motorola TurboPower vs the others
... Fast Charging' and it is basically a re-brand of Qualcomm's technology, as it seems from my testing to be fully compatible with QC 2.0. Motorola ...

Blast from the past: 50% off the Motorola Bluetooth headset that started it all
You've seen the classic Motorola Bluetooth headset for years. Maybe you need to replace your own, or you remember how hot this thing was when ...

Motorola confirms death of Webtop, laptop accessories
The company says adoption wasn't strong enough to justify additional resources.

DEAL: Moto G (3rd Gen) 16GB Drops to $199 at Motorola for Limited Time
... G (3rd gen) , a phone that at its price point is almost impossible to beat, is now cheaper than ever, thanks to a short-term deal over at Motorola’s ...

Lenovo finally profitable on mobile after buying Motorola
Lenovo is making money in PCs despite a flaccid market, and declining mobile sales apparently aren't bothering it, either. The company made a ...

Motorola Solutions' EPS Jumps Despite Revenue Decline; Airwave To Help Recurring Revenues
Motorola Solutions registered a significant improvement in its Q4 EPS even though its overall revenues were down for the quarter. The company’s ...

The Motorola Droid Turbo 2's screen is virtually impossible to crack
Motorola's Droid phones have always been geared towards utility. The original Droid catered to typing enthusiasts with a QWERTY keyboard that ...