Resize partition for Linux without Mac OS cd

Hi,

I got an old G3 Powerbook 300 MHz (old world) from a friend running Mac
Os 8.6 but without any CD. I'm trying to install Yellow Dog 4.0 on it, I
managed to launch the YDL setup by using a kernel file posted on the YLD
board website. However, YLD doesnt seem to allow me to resize my
existing partition and create a new one, and I didn't find any free tool
for doing that. Actually I don't care about my Mac OS partition, but I
read that I need t keep it because an old world powerbook cant run
another OS on its own.

Do you know if there is a way for me to get the partition tool from the
Mac OS system cd or another one?

I tried to install Mandrake 10.1 which is supposed to have a partition
utility but the installer always crash. I'm a bit desperate about using
Linux on this laptop...

Thanks a lot for your help.
Francois

0
merguez99 (1)
12/21/2004 11:48:39 PM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

Resize partition without Mac OS cd
Hi, I got an old G3 Powerbook 300 MHz (old world) from a friend running Mac Os 8.6 but without any CD. I'm trying to install Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 on it, I managed to launch the YDL setup by using a kernel file posted on the YLD board website. However, YLD doesnt seem to allow me to resize my existing partition and create a new one, and I didn't find any free tool for doing that. Actually I don't care about my Mac OS partition, but I read that I need t keep it because an old world powerbook cant run another OS on its own. Do you know if there is a way for me to get the part...

access linux partitions from mac os and opposite
Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition (YDL 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk? And what about the other way? Knottulf H Birkeland <knottulf@yahoo.no> wrote: > Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition (YDL > 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk? I don't think Linux and Darwin use quite the same variant of UFS. > And what about the other way? > Linux can read HFS+. -- Andrew J. Brehm Fan of Woody Allen PowerPC User Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza H Birkeland <knottulf@yahoo.no> wrote in news:btcbia$mvc$1 @news.netpower.no: > Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition > (YDL 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk? What partition type - ext2, ext3 or reiser? Try to google for 'FreeBSD mount $fs_type' > And what about the other way? 'cat /proc/filesystems' and '/sbin/lsmod' should show a line with 'ufs' both - if not try to load the module with /sbin/modprobe ufs. Then you should able to mount the volume(s) with the type specifier 'ufs' and the appropriate ufstype option ('44bsd' for a BSD-like OS). HTH Tilman Heinrich -- The only stupid question is the unasked one. H Birkeland wrote: > Do you have any good advice on how to access the linux ufs partition > (YDL 3.0.1) from mac os x 10.2 on the same disk? If you want to share a mutually writable partition, use HFS ...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Choosing the right OS between Mac OS X, Linux dist, Win
Hi Guys, I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 5100 P4-2.8 GHz (1.25 GB RAM, 40GB HDD). Its been running fine with some heating problems, and a few fresh installations of win-xp needed. Now, I have a need to buy a second laptop (it has to be a laptop since I am moving place to place every few months). Thats when I hit the question.. What to buy... Well, before anything else, I should mention my intended usage of the system... - Running software like - Oracle 10g Server, - Oracle Warehouse Builder - Some ETL tools... - some shell programming - some perl programming - lots of...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147262/os_smackdown_linux_vs_mac_os_x_vs_vista_vs_xp.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang <ron916@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT) <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>: > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP > > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, > Computerworld > > http://www.pcworld.com/bu...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs
More Unix in Apple's Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to | the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future | be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of | interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is | DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring | of the performance of programs during run-time. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09 Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. Watch the list: Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update ,----[ QUote ] | Apple on Wednesday afternoon released Mac OS X 10.4.10, a free | maintenance update recommended for all PowerPC and Intel-based Mac | computers running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. `---- http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/20/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_4_10_update.html ...

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it bec...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

How to create a mac-os 7.5.3 installation cd on a Windows / Linux PC ?
Hello ! How to create a mac-os 7.5.3 installation cd on a Windows / Linux PC ? I got for free from the garbage a Performa 5200 with keyboard and mouse PowerPC603, harddisk Quantum TRB850A, cd-rom Matshit ACD-ROM CR-800SA ( SCSI id 3 ) 40 MB RAM , with installed System 8.1, fully functional, but no Apple installation CD_ROM disk, no Ethernet on the Apple ( no Appletalk on the Linux/Windows PC, no modem, no CD recorder. So I can�t use the working 8.1 system to prepare the CD. So to build the system from new, I would like to install System 7.5.3 ( and upgrade to 7.5.5 later ), downloadab...

Run Windows, Linux and more side-by-side on Mac OS X without rebooting. Virtualization software review.
I recently purchased a MacBook and now think about how to run my favorite and useful Windows apps on it. The software market offers several virtualization solutions and Apple Boot Camp =96 a free utility from Apple allowing users to run Windows on a Mac. First of all, I didn=92t use Boot Camp as it requires me to reboot for changing OSes, so this solution doesn=92t work for me as I prefer deeper integration. I compared two solutions from virtualization software vendors: Parallels Desktop for Mac from Parallels and VMware Fusion from VMware. http://www.easy-organizer.net/run-windows-on-mac....

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset | designer Enteos. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9710475530.html Open Linux developer phone opens up more ,----[ Quote ] | Trolltech has loosened key licensing restrictions on its | user-modifiable Linux-based mobile phone for open source software | developers. Users of the Greenphone will no longer be restricted to | running Qtopia software on the device, nor to using the device only | in its supplied hardware/software configuration. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4872069549.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will >| provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many >| thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") >| a...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

Run Linux App over Mac OS X via Mac X11
Hello. I have a working Linux GUI app and tried in vain to run it over MacOS X via X11. The error msg from X11 is as follows: ------------------------------------------------- $ Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) serial 16453 error_code 2 request_code 45 minor_code 0 ------------------------------------------------------ The app was built using gcc-3.4.2 (gcc-3.4.2/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2), and libwx_gtkd_gl-2.4.a. Could some tell me how to fix or get around it. Many thanks ming -----Original Message----- From: Henk Boons...

Mac OS X and Linux
I want to ask (what may be) a stupid question: If Mac OS/X is based on some kind of BSD/Unix OS and it can run apps like MS Powerpoint and Adobe Photoshop (and others), what does this mean? 1. Does it mean those apps have been ported by MS and Adobe (etc) to run under a BSD/Unixy paradigm? 2. Does it mean that Apple has the source for those apps and has compiled it for their OS? 3. Does it mean they are running under some kind of WINE or somesuch? And finally, If these are ports, why have they not arrived on the Linux desktop yet? Even commercially? I await my licks! -- Bats ~..~ (I can onl...

Mac OS apps on Linux
Hello, Can anyone tell me how to run off the shelf Mac OS X apps, eg. Pages, or any of the iLife stuff, on Linux? Since Mac OS is a BSD, it should be easy, methinks, but what's the exact software needed, and the exact procedure? Since besides the kernel, the programs would also need facilites on the part of X and whatever desktop system like Gnome or KDE, it's not just a question of the kernel itself. So - what's needed, is it possible, and how do I do it? Thanks. begin virus.txt.scr binary-nomad@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone tell me how to run off the shelf M...

Linux and Mac OS X
Fed up with all the spyware, viruses and other XP problems,so I switched over (again) to Mandrake 9.2 a couple of weeks ago on my AMD 2100+. Well, I must say Linux is maturing to a viable alternative to Windows. It is drop dead gorgeous, more configurable and more stable than Windows. There are still a few quirks and the help needs improvement but overall I am very impressed. Do any of you run Linux on your Mac H/W? Would you consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as an alternative to Mac OS X? In article <pan.2003.11.20.21.39.59.633697@telus.net>, Martik <martik@telus.net> wrote: > Would you > consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as an > alternative to Mac OS X? No -- ------------------------------------------- Swedish Webcams http://zap.to/webcams ------------------------------------------- In article <pan.2003.11.20.21.39.59.633697@telus.net>, Martik <martik@telus.net> wrote: > Fed up with all the spyware, viruses and other XP problems,so I switched > over (again) to Mandrake 9.2 a couple of weeks ago on my AMD 2100+. Well, > I must say Linux is maturing to a viable alternative to Windows. It is > drop dead gorgeous, more configurable and more stable than Windows. There > are still a few quirks and the help needs improvement but overall I am > very impressed. Do any of you run Linux on your Mac H/W? Would you > consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as a...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | sequence; largely adapted installer and graphical installer | front-end; enhanced installer for meta tasks; new artwork;o | ffline manual... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9846.phtml Related: Sidux: A live CD for Debian unstable ,----[ Quote ] | It's a rare distribution that impresses me before I've even tried it, | but sidux did just that when, a few hours after I'd downloaded and | burned a two-day-old preview release, the project announced that the | next release was available for download. `---- http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/02/28/1017239.shtml?tid=127 SIDUX 2007-01 Linux LiveCD ,----[ Quote ] | Screenshots gallery `---- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=655&num=1 Testdriving Sidux 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | Sidux ships with a 2.6.20 kernel, Xorg 7.1.1, gcc 4.1.2, and KDE | 3.5.5. Iceweasel 2.0.0.1 appears to be the default...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

Web resources about - Resize partition for Linux without Mac OS cd - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Partition and secession in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the California Constitutional Convention of 1849 applied for statehood in the current boundaries, the South reluctantly acceded to a single, ...

Explainer: Malcolm Turnbull and the incendiary idea to partition Iraq
This week, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull raised eyebrows by professing openness to a very controversial idea. He&nbsp;suggested that a partition ...

[Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled ...
The Internet is in the midst of having a mini hemorrhage over something that, basically, doesn't matter. Shocking, right? It appears that a few ...

Restore files, partitions, broken PCs with Lazesoft Recovery Suite
... That’s all the more surprising when you see how much the program can do. It’s able to recover everything from individual files to entire partitions; ...

How to partition your drive before installing Windows 10
Want to test Windows 10 on your PC? Create a hard drive partition for a worry-free install.

Paragon Software Releases Partition Manager 15
Partition Manager 15 software comes with file system converters to adapt the most common file systems including NTFS, HFS+, and FAT.

Iraq: The 'idea of a soft partition came from the US'
Is Iraq headed towards a partition? The rise of the Islamic State group has highlighted the weakness of the central power.Myriam Benraad is a ...

Jat stir revives Partition nightmare for Rohtak residents
The violent Jat quota agitation has revived painful memories of Partition for many people caught in the two conflicts separated by seven decades. ...

How to partition your Mac to test OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan may be in Public Beta now, but that doesn't mean it's 100 percent stable. Here's how to put it somewhere it can't cause problems. ...