RS 6000 43p 140 /debian

Hi!

Need help!

I use a termnial to access rs6000 and boot form floppy,
after the boot floppy command, I get some information about memory aso,
then the system stops!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rainer
0
rs7451 (1)
4/18/2004 5:58:20 PM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140
Hello, i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140 (332MHz). According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in CD-ROM. When booting the machine searches for a short time on CD and stops with a white screen (IBM+logo and an arrow with the words `Starting software .... please wait`) ... after changing some F-Numbers on the machine itself it shows an `F05` on the position described before? What i'm doing wrong? Is there any other way to install a RS/6000 140? Thx for any help, mfg fg -- Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein! Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de Gerhard Fuehrer <newsletter.gf@aon.at> wrote: > Hello, > i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140 > (332MHz). > According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the > boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in > CD-ROM. > When booting the machine searches for a short time on CD and stops with > a white screen (IBM+logo and an arrow with the words `Starting software > ... please wait`) ... after changing some F-Numbers on the machine > itself it shows an `F05` on the position described before? Ok you don't say if this is recent deb cd? Some older CD's won't support RS6000 as bootable. It sounds like and this is a guess, it sees the cdrom and says yeah bootable media then fails in ...

RS/6000 43P-140 Specifications
Hi Everyone, I am planning to buy an RS/6000 43P-140 machine for myself. I Am buying it to learn AIX and DB2. Power PC 604e 233MHz Hard Drive: 9GB Memory: 256MB 1) Can I use a normal IDE hard drive with this machine, or is it must to have an SCSI Disk? 2) Can I use an IDE CDROM Drive with this machines? 3) Do you think it's capable of running DB2 UDB 8.1? 4) Any other tips for an RS6000 newbie? thanks in advance, dotyet never mind, i found the information in one of the threads. thanks, dotyet ...

RS/6000 PowerPC 604e + which Linux distro?
Howdy, I just obtained two used servers from a friend. One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, CDROM, & floppy. What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. The 2nd one does not belong in this group. ;) It has Windoze 2000 server (bleah) on it. Thanx in advance, Roto Noto Ciao Roto Noto, nel tuo messaggio dicevi: > One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, > CDROM, & floppy. > What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. Debian, all the way. -- Best Regards, Jack Linux User #264449 Powered by Fedora Core 2 (x86) Powered by Debian Sid (ppc) Jack Malmostoso wrote: > Ciao Roto Noto, nel tuo messaggio dicevi: > > >>One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, >>CDROM, & floppy. >>What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. > > > Debian, all the way. > I'll second that, I have a similar machine running debian/woody & another one running debian/sarge. (ibm ppc 7248) cheers, Kim Kim Hawtin wrote: > Jack Malmostoso wrote: > >> Ciao Roto Noto, nel tuo messaggio dicevi: >> >> >>> One is an IBM RS/6000 PowerPC 604e cpu 375Mhz, 2 x 34Gb scsi drives, >>> CDROM, & floppy. >>> What's a good Linux distribution to install on this ``bad boi''. >> >> &...

Debian Linux on an IBM RS/6000 44P 270 machine

Linux for RS/6000?
I know that as of yet, there is no Linux support for the older rs6k machines. I was wondering if anybody is still working on this project, and if so, how it's going. The web page for the project hasn't been updated in quite awhile. Also, I found and am right now downloading what is supposed to be the source code for AIX 4.1.3. I'm not much in the programming department, but if it's legit, would it help speed up the development process? Obviously you couldn't just copy bootloader, etc, wholesale, but I was thinking that it would at least show how it's done right? Or am I missing something obvious here, since I only play at programming? -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- If you have REAL 4.1.3 source code i'll take the source code for devices dfe5 8f62 mca. Thanks Ryan > I know that as of yet, there is no Linux support for the older rs6k > machines. I was wondering if anybody is still working on this project, and > if so, how it's going. The web page for the project hasn't been updated in > quite awhile. Also, I found and am right now downloading what is supposed > to be the source code for AIX 4.1.3. I'm not much in the programming > department, but if it's legit, would it help speed up the development > process? ...

Linux on RS 6000
Hi everbody ! I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150 machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems with handling that graphics adapter ! Does anybody know how to get it to work ? video swithes when installing etc. I get 2 separete text screens on the monitor at the same time when i tries to install, none of them readable. Thanks Kjell Kjell Andersson wrote: > Hi everbody ! > > I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150 > machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to > install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems > with handling that graphics adapter ! > Does anybody know how to get it to work ? video swithes > when installing etc. I get 2 separete text screens on the monitor > at the same time when i tries to install, none of them readable. > > Thanks Kjell Hi: If the RS6000 is anything like an Old World clone for install, you'll need to aim low at first and try for the framebuffer mode at 640 x 480 with 15 or 16 bit color, at 60-something MHz (on my monitor they magic number was 67, 60 didn't work) in order to get unaccelerated X going . . .. then you can start tweaking XF86Config. You need to check to confirm the applicable driver xxxxx.o file is in modules/drivers (I think that's /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but that's from memory) - I found that XF86Confi...

RS/6000 250 and Linux?
Hello, after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to get linux to run on it? Thanks, Mario > RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to Linux Support for MCA bus on RS/6000 is still missing as it seems. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:49:29 +0100, Mario Premke wrote: > Hello, > after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM > RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to > get linux to run on it? Hell freezing over comes to mind. It's a doorstop and not a very convenient one. Sorry. Oh, it will run AIX 4.3.3 (with some persuasion) very slowly, and probably 5.1. So it may have some use as an AIX educational aid, but it is extremely unlikely that anyone will port Linux to those old MCA RSs. There isn't a lot of point now. Little ones like the 250 are dog slow by comparison with PCs of several years ago, and the big ones are huge, heavy, cost a fortune to run and aren't particularly fast. I attended an IBM course about 2 years ago where the subject (HACMP) required 3 RSs per team of 4 people for the practical exercises. They were using machines evidently rescued from the corporate junk heap and even they were E30s and 43Ps - much more recent PCI based machines. Regards, Ian ...

A free Linux for RS/6000 (Power)
Can you suggest a free Linux distribution for IBM RS/6000 (Power 64 bit not Power PC 32 bit)? Thanks in advance. -- Frank, Naples, Italy Io uso MesNews: Sito: http://mesnews.no-ip.com /* frank */ <__frank__@despammed.com> wrote in message news:<mn.9b997d481765a71d.15428@spamyourselfagainstawall>... > Can you suggest a free Linux distribution for IBM RS/6000 > (Power 64 bit not Power PC 32 bit)? Debian should work, but I must admit I've not tried it yet (but I have burnt the CD): http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/daily/powerpc/current/sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso...

wpa_supplicant,linux.debian.ports.powerpc
Hello. Did someone of you guys built a wpa_supplicant for Aiport/hermes? There is a hermes source but made for 2.4 kernels. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-247191.html The gentoo people can't help me. Paolo ...

Debian/FreeBSD for Power RS-6000
I was wondering if there is any distribution of Debian/FreeBSD for IBM Power RS-6000. Thanks in advance. My mistake: the CPU is 'Power', not 'PowerPC'. Thanks again __Frank__ wrote: > > I was wondering if there is any distribution of Debian/FreeBSD for IBM Power > RS-6000. > Thanks in advance. For some RS/6000 models there are distributions, for others are none. Check the supported platforms from debian, suse, yellowdog, netbsd or others. Note, that MCA based models are completely unsupported, no chance! Olaf -- +-------------------------------------------...

Linux (and others) on MCA RS/6000
I can't believe nobody got this book: http://books.elsevier.com/uk/mk/uk/subindex.asp?isbn=1558603441 Or is the list of contents misleading? *g* Saskia -- Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail Hi Saskia ! > I can't believe nobody got this book: > http://books.elsevier.com/uk/mk/uk/subindex.asp?isbn=1558603441 > > Or is the list of contents misleading? *g* Argh. UKP 55.99 ... (cough, cough !) That's a lot money for a book published in 1994. Back then the Power2 architecture was half dead already. But it seems as if the book answers more questions than you ever will want to know ... ;-) I don't have it. And if: I would not tell. Too dangerous. Some might ask me to scan and PDF it .. No ? -- Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm *** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! *** Hi Peter! At Amazon it's also 80 EUR. > I don't have it. > And if: I would not tell. Too dangerous. > Some might ask me to scan and PDF it .. No ? Oh, no ... it would completely suffice to develop a patch for the Linux kernel for RS/6000 MCA support ;o) Saskia -- Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail Saskia Bormann wrote: > I can't believe nobody got this book: > http://books.elsevier.com/uk/mk/uk/subindex.asp?isbn=1558603441 > > Or is the list of contents misleading? *g* &...

Linux, Linux, Linux

RS/6000 MCA Linux port
Hi guys! Is there any RS/6000 MCA Linux porting project still active? Saskia -- Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail I dinna ken. But I did sendt a 7006-410 or so to Dave Weinhall about two years ago. Saskia Bormann wrote: > > Hi guys! > > Is there any RS/6000 MCA Linux porting project still active? > > Saskia > -- > Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Saskia Bormann <saskia.bormann.KEIN.ROASTBEEF@koeln.de> wrote: > Is there any RS/6000 MCA Linux porting project still active? Nope. Seems to be as dead as a dodo. Why would one want to run Leenucks instead of AIX on such a machine, anyway? Martin. -- Remember to always speak softly. But carry a big stick! Just do it! Why not? The WonkStation/MeToo were just supposed to "run" the various amusements, but hackerz didn't stop with chips to alter them. Martin Etteldorf wrote: > > Saskia Bormann <saskia.bormann.KEIN.ROASTBEEF@koeln.de> wrote: > > Is there any RS/6000 MCA Linux porting project still active? > > Nope. Seems to be as dead as a dodo. > Why would one want to run Leenucks instead of AIX on such a > machine, anyway? > > Martin. > > -- > Remember to always speak softly. > But carry a big stick! -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Louis Ohland wrote: &g...

RS/6000 7025 F50 System with debian sarge
Hello I have a RS/6000 7025 F50 system with 1 GB RAM and 10 x 9.1 GB HD with 3 604e CPUs. Does someone know a working system with sarge or woody with my hardware type? I would like to use the following ISO: debian-31r0a-powerpc-netinst.iso It doesn't boot altough i set the bootlist to cd only. It tries booting but makes restarts all the time. I think, that i can choose at installation time a working default kernel. Assumed that i can boot a bootmedia (CD, HD, NFS, TFTP and so on). What would you recommend? I think that i must afterwards compile a new kernel to support 3 CPUs. I tried today to boot from the HD (harddisk) according to the "Debian GNU/Linux-Installationmanual at 4.5.2 and 5.1.2.3. That means: Downloading the files vmlinux, initrd.gz, yaboot and yaboot.conf and copied to the root directory (/) (now still AIX works, which i would like to replace with Debian sarge) My root directory is under /dev/hd4 I booted the system new and with pressing the F1 key i got to the System Management Services and opened a bootprompt "0 >". Then i tried the following: boot hd:4,yaboot This boots AIX boot hd:0,yaboot This boots AIX also I have the above mentioned ISO in the CD drive an tried with boot cd:,\install\yaboot This boots AIX also I thing i am overlooking something or some information is missing, but which? At URL http://www.de.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep There is the following mentioned: ----------------snip-----...

RS/6000 7020 F50 System with debian sarge
Hello I have a RS/6000 7020 F50 system with 1 GB RAM and 10 x 9.1 GB HD with 3 604e CPUs. Does someone know a working system with sarge or woody with my hardware type? I would like to use the following ISO: debian-31r0a-powerpc-netinst.iso It doesn't boot altough i set the bootlist to cd only. It tries booting but makes restarts all the time. I think, that i can choose at installation time a working default kernel. Assumed that i can boot a bootmedia (CD, HD, NFS, TFTP and so on). What would you recommend? I think that i must afterwards compile a new kernel to support 3 CPUs. I tried today to boot from the HD (harddisk) according to the "Debian GNU/Linux-Installationmanual at 4.5.2 and 5.1.2.3. That means: Downloading the files vmlinux, initrd.gz, yaboot and yaboot.conf and copied to the root directory (/) (now still AIX works, which i would like to replace with Debian sarge) My root directory is under /dev/hd4 I booted the system new and with pressing the F1 key i got to the System Management Services and opened a bootprompt "0 >". Then i tried the following: boot hd:4,yaboot This boots AIX boot hd:0,yaboot This boots AIX also I have the above mentioned ISO in the CD drive an tried with boot cd:,\install\yaboot This boots AIX also I thing i am overlooking something or some information is missing, but which? At URL http://www.de.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep There is the following mentioned: ----------------snip-----...

AIX 5.1 on RS/6000 43p/260 ?
Does anybody know if it is possible to run AIX 5.1 on an RS/6000 43p/260 ? Are there any special requirements for firmware for example ? If anybody has this combination I would be pleased to hear their experiences of installing this release. Thanks, Tim. "Tim Alsop" <Tim.Alsop@CyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message news:3f205bfe$0$252$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk... > Does anybody know if it is possible to run AIX 5.1 on an RS/6000 43p/260 ? > Are there any special requirements for firmware for example ? If anybody has > this combination I would be pleased to hear their e...

Sun DDS2 Tape Drive on RS/6000 43P
All, I know I am doing something dumb here and am missing something...... I have a few spare Sun DDS2 Tape Drives that were working fine when attached to my Solaris boxes so I thought I would move one to my 43Ps. However, the 43P cant see it, smitty and lsdev cant see it, can cfgmgr just ignores it. I have a niggling feeling that I have forgotten a fundamental step. Any ideas? I am working on the assumption that all DDS's are made by Exabyte so should work...... Cheers Colin Colin Renouf "AIX is user friendly. It's just choosy who its friends are." Colin Renouf ...

Problems installing Linux on IBM RS/6000 44P-170
I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM, GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It seems to boot the kernel, however, at one point it shows: Calling quiesce returning from prom_init and just sits there. I did some research and found out that the GXT4000P gfx adapter probably isn't supported by Linux at all and might cause this error. But then I also found postings that say it should at least boot. BTW: AIX runs fine, and the hardware test CD didn't find any hardware problem. Microcode is on the latest level, too. Anyone has a clue what causes this problem? And if it's the gfx adapter: what is a good and somewhat easy obtainable replacement that provides accelerated 2D and if possible also accelerated 3D? Benjamin Hi Benjamin, Benjamin Gawert wrote: > I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM, > GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the > latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It > seems to boot the kernel, however, at one point it shows: > > Calling quiesce > returning from prom_init > > and just sits there. I did some research and found out that the GXT4000P > gfx adapter probably isn't supported by Linux at all and might cause > this error. But then I also found postings that say it should at least > boot. BTW: ...

AIX 5.1 or LINUX on F50 RS/6000
Hi, Does RS6000 F50 support AIX 5.1 or LINUX ? Thanks in advance, Newbie In article <419adf80$1@news>, NewBie <leongyc@tp.edu.sg> wrote: > > Does RS6000 F50 support AIX 5.1 or LINUX ? I believe it does, for both. I've only done 5.1 on the F50 myself, but I know I've heard there are versions of Linux that works on the CHRP boxes like the F50. YellowDog Linux, Gentoo, etc. -Dan "NewBie" <leongyc@tp.edu.sg> wrote in message news:<419adf80$1@news>... > Hi, > > Does RS6000 F50 support AIX 5.1 or LINUX ? > > > > Thank...

RS/6000 PowerPC MCA & AIX support levels
Hi All... just to document this for archiving and reference: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245120.pdf -- Cheers, Tim Clarke Guildford, U.K. ...

RS/6000 (44P 170) and Service Processor Menu from (Linux) Minicom
Hello, I have got a 44P 170 RS/6000 and I want to go into the Service Processor Menu. So I touched a null modem cable to the serial port 1 and uses minicom from my Linux-Box. I set 9600 and 8N1 and no Hardware/Software Flow control, but nothing displayed, NO Service Processor Menu. If I power on the maschine by button, then a few minutes later I can go into the SMS Menu, so the settings of minicom seems to be right. Have I missed something? Firmwares are up to date. Regards Sven scmail@gmx.de schrieb: > Hello, > > I have got a 44P 170 RS/6000 and I want to go into the Service > Processor Menu. So I touched a null modem cable to the serial port 1 > and uses minicom from my Linux-Box. I set 9600 and 8N1 and no > Hardware/Software Flow control, but nothing displayed, NO Service > Processor Menu. If I power on the maschine by button, then a few > minutes later I can go into the SMS Menu, so the settings of minicom > seems to be right. Have I missed something? Firmwares are up to date. Even if you'll get advice for older Micro Channel RS/6000 here, you'll better ask in comp.unix.aix. I don't have a modern pSeries machine. -- Uli (Reply to ulrich <dot> link <domain-delimiter> epost <dot> de) ...

What's lasts OS to use on RS 6000 7025 F50?
I've got an IBM RS 6000 7025 F50 which is running AIX 4.3 or there abouts (not sure of the exact version. It might be 4.3.3.) What's the latest version of AIX I can stick on this machine? I was given a set of AIX 5.1 CD-R's some time back, but I've seen a set of 8 CDs for 5.3 on eBay for next to nothing. I'm just wondering a) What is the latest the machine, which I believe is 32-bit, will run? b) The legality of putting a later release on it. (It's only a home computer, so I don't suppose IBM are going to go after me with all guns blazing.) I...

Web resources about - RS 6000 43p 140 /debian - comp.os.linux.powerpc

Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Debian ( / ˈ d ɛ b i ə n / ) is the name for a Linux distribution that is composed primarily of free and open-source software , most of which ...

Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Debian ( / ˈ d ɛ b i ə n / ) is an operating system composed of free software mostly carrying the GNU General Public License , and developed ...

Debian The Universal Operating System
Debian is an operating system and a distribution of Free Software. It is maintained and updated through the work of many users who volunteer ...

Planet Debian
Conrad releaser version 3.2.3 of Armadillo a few days ago, and the corresponding RcppArmadillo package 0.3.2.3 is now CRAN . (Forthese keeping ...

Debian GNU/Linux Debian Pure Blends
Debian Pure Blends A Debian Pure Blend (in short Blend if used in clearly Debian internal context)is a subset of Debian that is configured tosupport ...

Debian Mailing Lists Index
If you wish to browse a complete list of mailing lists, see the complete index . To subscribe to or unsubscribe frommultiple mailing lists at ...

Debian Packages
To report a problem with the web site, e-mail debian-www@lists.debian.org . For other contact information, see the Debian contact page . Web ...

Debian Security Information
Debian takes security very seriously. We handle all security problemsbrought to our attention and ensure that they are corrected withina reasonable ...

FrontPage - Debian Wiki
Wiki Login FrontPage RecentChanges FindPage HelpContents Search: Wiki / Immutable Page Comments Info Attachments More Actions: Raw Text Print ...

The Debian Project (@debian) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here The Debian Project @ debian ...