"Ants." (Chuckles) "Ants?" "Yes, I have got a problem with ants." "They
are sneaky, and they are mobile, and when they get on you, even if you
get them off..." "Okay, Calleigh, chill." --CSI: Miami (Wannabe episode;
#218)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
3/16/2015 1:01:01 AM
comp.os.linux.powerpc 1164 articles. 0 followers. jobhunts02 (107) is leader. Post Follow

On 2015-03-16 22:11:40 +0000, Ant said:

> How is it? Is it worth it with the (lat/new)est softwares? Thank you in
> advance. :)

Hey last time I used it  (circa 2006) it was a long time ago and it was
working very smoothly.
Distro was the first (or second) Ubuntu release (the one they used to
ship by CD)
and it was working very nicely. I even got mac-on-linux running and it
was fantastic.

These days, given the ram required by most modern distro, I wouldn't
try to run the latest fancy distro.
Maybe have a look to Linux mint ppc and keep us posted?

Djam�

0
iso
4/2/2015 8:12:16 PM
Djamé wrote:

> On 2015-03-16 22:11:40 +0000, Ant said:
>
>> How is it? Is it worth it with the (lat/new)est softwares? Thank
you in
>> advance. :)
>
> Hey last time I used it  (circa 2006) it was a long time ago and
it was
> working very smoothly.
> Distro was the first (or second) Ubuntu release (the one they used
> ship by CD)
> and it was working very nicely. I even got mac-on-linux running
and it
> was fantastic.
>
> These days, given the ram required by most modern distro, I
wouldn't
> try to run the latest fancy distro.
> Maybe have a look to Linux mint ppc and keep us posted?
>

> Djamé

I have trying some distros on a eMac with 1Ghz and 512MB RAM. I
think the performance is near to a PowerBook G4. Good working was
Debian 7 with Xfce and MorphOS. Also the Lubuntu community has a PPC
version ready but these has shown some bugs on the eMac.

About the speed... Fastest was the MorphOS, second to the Debian 7
and slowest the Lubuntu.

--M.
0
playforvoices

Linux PowerPC on a very old PowerBook G4 1 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM?
Hello. Is anyone running Linux on it? If so, then is it usuable like with Internet usage (e.g., web surfing), etc.? Thank you in advance. :) -- This worker ant will be unemployed after Friday, the 23rd, as of 1/15/2015 @ 11 AM PST. :( /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to an...

Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard on an old PowerBook (PPC) G4 1 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM & 60 GB HDD?
Hello, I have an old PowerBook G4 (PPC) with 1 Ghz CPU speed, 512 MB of RAM, and 60 GB of HDD. If I were to do a fresh clean install of Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard on it (still have 10.2.8 on it and seems fine, just old), then how will it perform? Will it be slower? Or should I just wait until I get a new Apple notebook/laptop (e.g., MacBook)? I am a heavy user who likes to run Fink stuff for X11, play hungry power games (e.g., MacMAME, Quake 3 Arena and its mods) Thank you in advance. -- "We may have no malevolent intentions toward an ant heap, but if we want to build a house on the ...

Re: Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard on an old PowerBook (PPC) G4 1 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM & 60 GB HDD?
On 10/22/2007 5:45 AM PT, Ant typed: > I have an old PowerBook G4 (PPC) with 1 Ghz CPU speed, 512 MB of RAM, > and 60 GB of HDD. If I were to do a fresh clean install of Mac OS X > 10.5/Leopard on it (still have 10.2.8 on it and seems fine, just old), > then how will it perform? Will it be slower? Or should I just wait until > I get a new Apple notebook/laptop (e.g., MacBook)? > > I am a heavy user who likes to run Fink stuff for X11, play hungry power > games (e.g., MacMAME, Quake 3 Arena and its mods) > > Thank you in advance. So, anyone running the new...

PowerBook G4: 1.67 GHz/512 MB or 1.50 GHz/1 GB???
For basically the same expenditure, which PowerBook G4 15" SuperDrive configuration will provide the best performance, a 1.67 GHz w/ standard 512 MB RAM or a 1.50 GHz upgraded to 1 GB RAM? If you had to decide, if the best-of-both-worlds 1.67 GHz plus 1 GB RAM config were not an option, which would you choose and why? Thanks... Andrew -- Andrew Shepherd cinema@ku.edu cinema@sprintpcs.com http://www.wirelesswavelength.com/ Andrew J Shepherd wrote: > > For basically the same expenditure, which PowerBook G4 15" SuperDrive > configuration will provide the...

FA: (SYD) Apple POWERBOOK G4 12", 1 GHz, 1.25GB RAM, SuperDrive DVD-RW
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8750499276 ...

Does my PowerBook G4 15" (1 Ghz) have USB2 support or only 1.1?
Hi. I cannot find the detailed specifications on the USB speed on my PowerBook G4 1 Ghz (15") that I bought a year ago. I checked its manual and Apple's Web site. I think the information on the Web site is for the newer PowerBook G4s. Does anyone know? Thank you in advance. :) -- "May 10,000 ants never invade your underwear drawer." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or philpi@apu.eduANT \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgro...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, ...

[News] Android and Linux: "All phone manufacturers bring up their phones using Linux, including Apple with the iPhone"

Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog)
Forget Mandrake 9.1 for powerpc: The installer is seriously buggy. It wouldn't read the A key on my G4 powerbook nor did it have support for my video card. It couldn't even read the disk on my powermac G4. There are numerous bugs in the software and problems with partitioning. Since it is what I had first, I tried to install it a score of times before my list of workarounds ended up in a dead end with no video card support on the powerbook. Gentoo is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, it doesn't understand the most recent firmware on my G4 powermac and yaboot couldn't mount ...

Re: Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog)
In article <pan.2003.09.26.23.02.30.376116@nospam.ns(nospam)>, Alonzo Gariepy <NOSPAM@nospam.ns(nospam)> wrote: > Forget Mandrake 9.1 for powerpc: > > Yellow Dog Linux took Red Hat 9 from the hands of its exhausted > developers and made it even nicer. It installed perfectly, first time, > on both computers. Hi Alonzo having spent the day failing to get Mandrake 9.1 onto my G4, I am ready to accept your first proposition!! So let me ask you a couple of questions about your second, as YDL2.2 and 2.3 were non-starters on an older PPC of mine. What version of...

Will new "G5" 1.6 GHz run Linux SuSE Linux 7.3 (2.4.18)?
Will 64-bit IBM Power PC 970 "G5" 1.6 GHz Processor[NL] run Linux SuSE 7.3 (2.4.18)? If anyone has any information on this issue, please do let me know.. Thank you, Leo it comes with os x which is way better IMHO In article <62b2b43f.0310011035.54e683b1@posting.google.com>, Leo <lberdi@hotmail.com> wrote: > Will 64-bit IBM Power PC 970 "G5" 1.6 GHz Processor[NL] run Linux > SuSE 7.3 (2.4.18)? If anyone has any information on this issue, please > do let me know.. > > Thank you, > Leo ...

RAM for PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz "Alumininum" eBay auction ending in about 5 minutes
Hurry and check it out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121185604413 It's Other World Computing RAM, which means it's quality RAM in the U.S.A.! --Harold ...

Linux, Linux, Linux

"Linux In Enterprises, Market Share And Business Which Use Linux"
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-in-enterprises-market-share-and-business-which-use-linux/ ...

Web resources about - Who is using Linux on a 15" Apple PowerBook G4 1 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM? - comp.os.linux.powerpc

PowerBook 180 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The PowerBook 180 is a portable computer released by Apple Computer, Inc. along with the PowerBook 160 in October 1992. At the time, it constituted ...

MacBook Pro Retina 13inch and PowerBook 100 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
2012 - MacBook Pro Retina 13inch 1991 - PowerBook 100 (Assembly by Sony) support.apple.com/kb/SP141

Apple PowerBook, BlackBerry and Suburu Outback: How brand names are created - Business News - Business ...
BRAND names don&#8217;t just happen to exist. Someone has to find the perfect name to fit the product and distinguish it from its competitors. ...

Apple PowerBook, BlackBerry and Suburu Outback: How brand names are created
BRAND names don&#8217;t just happen to exist. Someone has to find the perfect name to fit the product and distinguish it from its competitors. ...

PowerBook G4 - 9to5Mac
I took Twelve South’s BookBook for Air for an extensive spin through a bunch of everyday usage scenarios and in various urban and Mediterranean ...

Apple - Press Info - Apple Introduces New 15-inch PowerBook
APPLE EXPO, PARIS—September 16, 2003—Apple® today introduced the all-new 15-inch PowerBook® G4, offering an unrivaled mix of power and portability ...

Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries
Apple Computer on Thursday recalled 1.8 million notebook batteries used in its previous generation iBook and PowerBook G4 notebooks because they ...

15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4
... for months, the successor to Apple's landmark … On September 16th, Apple introduced the long-awaited successor to its 15-inch Titanium PowerBook. ...

1995 - PowerBook 5300
View The evolution of Apple products photos in CBS News' The evolution of Apple products photo gallery

Apple polishes iBook, PowerBook lines
... by Joe Wilcox, Staff Writer, CNET News.com. Published on October 16, 2001 8:55 AM PDT. Apple Computer, as expected, updated its iBook and PowerBook ...