gif problem or filesystem problem?

Folks,

I'm using SuSE 7.1, kernal 2.4.0-4Gb on a Reiserfs filesystem.  I have
2,500plus images that I've saved over a number of years on my windoze laptop
and *copied* many of them to my linux server.  I do frequent backups on my
linux server to CD and decided one day to do a disaster recovery and test my
data.

Here's my problem...

I checked my backups and discovered that with the exception of gifs, all
other files (jpegs,docs,xls,wmv,avi,txt,htm etc) were viewable.  The gifs
were reported as corrupt.

Because the files on my linux box were a backup of original data that was on
my laptop, I could examine and confirm that all the original files
(including gifs) were fine/viewable.

I thought the problem might be with my CD burn so I ftp received my backup
from my linux box to a temp work area on my windows laptop and found again
that I could view all but gifs.

From the above I therefore feel safe that the gifs were either corrupted
during an ftp to/from the linux box, or else that my filesystem has somehow
screwed the whole thing up... I mean... basically... the original images on
my windoze box are fine, and the backups on/from my linux box are screwed
up... and so far, the problem relates only to gif files.

So... does anyone know of any complications that one could have with having
a gif file on a linux box?  I've recently shared a few posts with someone in
the comp.lang.php who have had similar problems (and confirmed by ftping
their files to/from their box to discover their problem was not php related,
but somewhere else).

I'm basically wondering if anyone can put any light on the subject - it
would be much appreciated,

regards
randelld

0
Randell
8/14/2003 4:42:08 AM
comp.os.linux.questions 1469 articles. 0 followers. terence (6) is leader. Post Follow

problems problems problems
(The short(?) summary) I've got an Access MDB file and a DAO connect with it.. Problem 1 of 2 The below gives me a runtime error 91 Object variable or With block variable not set. I've got the db stuff after the form.show (to make sure all the objects on the form are loaded before attempting to utilize/manipulate them) But it doesn't like it when I use the data object in the form load anyway for some reason.. pffft. Private Sub Form_Load() frmTest1Project.Show datGallery.Recordset.MoveLast datGallery.Recordset.MoveFirst Call LockTextBoxes(frmTest...

Linux, ISE 7.1, problems, problems, problems ....
ok, ok we've beaten this subject to death already .... I just had this really radical and crazy idea: XILINX, how about a BETA program ? I mean one before you burn the CDs and make a product announcement and we are stuck with a useless plastic disc. If I look at all the issues that people are having with 7.1, they are all so trivial and easy to to solve (include a few libs, distribute a statically linked setup program, etc.). I'm sure a few of us with subscription would volunteer to test drive a pre-release version of your s/w. - I know I would. Wouldn't that be much nicer t...

Problems problems....
I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. I'm angry :)) I have LVD/SE terminator, and i think 68pin cable ( not sure about that ). Hope i gave you enough info to try and help. Thanx! -- ----------------------------------- Makni #### iz adrese Seems obvious that the drive is going belly up. You could download the manufacture's utility disk and confirm it. I think time would more wisely be spent backing up your data before you can't read it at all. DaveL "biBU" <idolovcak####@inet.hr> wrote in message news:cuslus$ljq$1@fegnews.vip.hr... > I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. > > Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even > bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does > not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it > seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it > all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. > I'm angry :)) > > ...

Problem with a problem
Hello, take a grammar G with alphabet {0,1} such that (the word problem for) the language L_G={w in (0+1)*|w\in L(G)} is very complex, say in PSPACE or some higher complexity class. Now consider an "easy" problem EASY like: "Is an element of L_G in L_G?". Well, this seems to be fairly easy because the answer is "yes" in any case. Hence the problem should be of small complexity. But if one models such a decision problem one has to construct a language L with alphabet A such that the word problem for L reflects exactly the decision problem which one is interested...

Re: How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? perfo
First, does anyone know why Info-VAX goes nuts on subjects from time to time? (Or is the trouble elsewhere?) From: JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> > DELETE Z*.*;* > DELETE Y*.*;* > ... > DELETE A*.*;* > > (followed by the numbers). This scheme may be a bit obsolete. See: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4506/4506pro_014.html#index_x_890 I quote: [...] 5.2.3.1.2 Extended Character Set In addition, OpenVMS V7.2 on Alpha systems and ODS-5 disks includes support for the use of file names, and subdirectory and root subdirectory names, tha...

Re: How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? perfo #2
On 8/17/05, Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> wrote: > Steven M. Schweda wrote: > > First, does anyone know why Info-VAX goes nuts on subjects from time > > to time? (Or is the trouble elsewhere?) >=20 > Elsewhere. Info-VAX does not rewrite the subject. >=20 > Mark Berryman > Info-VAX admin >=20 I thought it was reacting to poster sanity bugchecks. : ^ ) WWWebb --=20 NOTE: This email address is only used for noncommerical VMS-related correspondence. All unsolicited commercial email will be deemed to be a request for services pursuant to the t...

CUPS problem? or network problem? or printer problem?
Trying to configure CUPS to print to an HP LaserJet 5si over the network. Here is the relevant error_log stuff: I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Job 14 queued on 'ptr' by 'wm'. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 12120) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1 2121) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (P ID 12122) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprint er (PID 1...

Is this a BIOS problem, a kernel problem or a user problem :-)
Hi all, I have a Dual Core P4, which dmesg reports as (CPU0 and) CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 5 CPU 2.66GHz stepping 07 Unfortunately, it is also reporting CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled I went through the BIOS (AMI dated 2005) and saw no option to enable HT. uname -a reports Linux hwa3 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux so clearly the BIOS and the kernel see the processor as dual core. Is there a utility to do this (enable hyperthreading)? Am I going to have to recompile the kernel? Is there a set of Intel dual core CPU's which does not have H...

Linux: tons of problems XP: one problem
"My friend is a linux lover...Linux gives him tons of problems (he uses PCLOS) and he always talks about how good it feels to fix problems in Linux, yet when his XP install gives him ONE PROBLEM after three years he starts talking shit about microsoft." #9 at http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453 A perfect description of many of the luser hypocrites that populate the Linux world. Micoshaft fraudster DFS wrote on behalf of half wits from Micoshaft Corporation: > when his XP install gives him ONE PROBLEM after three years he > starts talking shit about microsoft." #9...

Problem with problem section
Hi, I have defined as follows: ------------------------------------------------------------------- \newtheorem{problem}{Problem}[section] --------------------------------------------------------------------------- and I use as: ----------------------------------------------------- \begin{problem} \label{ch6:p2} {\bf {Understanding {\bf XXX} assignment}} Convert the code in problem \ref{ch6:p1} to {\bf XXX} assignment. Fill the table \ref{ch6:p1t}, along with the comments. \end{problem} ------------------------------------------------------------------- What I want is all my figures and t...

problem with a minimazition problem.
Hello, I have a problem with a minimazition problem: Let my aim is to find x and a where f(x,a) is minimized with the constraint g(x,a)=0. Here "a" is parameter. It is known that for some values of x and a, function g does not have real roots of x. In matlab, I use fmincon function to solve this minimazition problem with "interior-point" algorithm. However, even in situations where g doesnt have real x roots , somehow Fmincon finds solution. I want to determine which solutions have real roots which are not. How can I do that? To which criterian do I have to...

Is it a know problem this problem? (an extension of Nearest-Neighbor Problem)
I met a problem which can be considered as an extension of Nearest-Neighbor Problem. Suppose we have n (e.g. n = 10) robots and m (e.g., m = n = 10) locations to explore in a 3-dimensional space. We want to assign each robot to explore a possible location, while minimizing the summation of the distances between each robot-location pair. If n = 1 or m = 1, it is clear this is a nearest-neighbor problem. What if both n and m are greater than 1 (n and m are not necessarily equal)? Is it a known problem which has been addressed by some heuristic algorithm? Thanks. This sounds more like an opt...

Lan problems problems
Hi can anyone please offer a suggestion to a LAN Problem i have. Recently my server computer on a 3 access point lan network has been dropping out after about 10 minutes. if i disconnect the power from the ethernet switch/hub and reconnect after 5 minutes, then it works again for a short time. there is no disconnection from the other servers. I have,..... 1.reformatted and rebuilt windows xp pro. 2.tested the switch/hub on another computer, seems ok 3. tested the lan cables. 4. tested the lan access points. yet still i have the trouble. any suggestions would be welcomed. D.Thomas Di...

debugger problem and other problem
Hi all! I gave it another try to upgarde from 1.0.1 to 1.2.1 from CVS (Rev. 6469). My system: Linux Debian Lenny, kernel 2.6.24. Problems: 1. the classical debugger doesn't show the code. First I thought it could be a color problem, but it isn't. Changing the color doesn't help. You can find a screenshot at http://www.apw-wiegand.de/apwlin/debugger.png. As you can see the debugger finds the code file and shows the line number where it actually is, but doesn't show the code. In 1.0.1 the debugger was functioning. 2. I read several times in the newsgroup that others have the...

Lan problems problems
Hi can anyone please offer a suggestion to a LAN Problem i have. Recently my server computer on a 3 access point lan network has been dropping out after about 10 minutes. if i disconnect the power from the ethernet switch/hub and reconnect after 5 minutes, then it works again for a short time. there is no disconnection from the other servers. I have,..... 1.reformatted and rebuilt windows xp pro. 2.tested the switch/hub on another computer, seems ok 3. tested the lan cables. 4. tested the lan access points. yet still i have the trouble. any suggestions would be welcomed. D.Thomas Did you think about HEAT? Access point? You mean Wireless? If no and your device is cheap try replacing it. Hristo http://hristo.no-ip.info "Daz" <thomas@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:edr561598tm4vp8otbde4tb0ts7vr26si9@4ax.com... > Hi > can anyone please offer a suggestion to a LAN Problem i have. > Recently my server computer on a 3 access point lan network > has been dropping out after about 10 minutes. > > if i disconnect the power from the ethernet switch/hub > and reconnect after 5 minutes, then it works again for a short time. > there is no disconnection from the other servers. > > I have,..... > > 1.reformatted and rebuilt windows xp pro. > 2.tested the switch/hub on another computer, seems ok > 3. tested the lan cables. > 4. tested the lan access points. > > yet still i have the trouble. > > any su...

Sunfire V210 : problems : OS would not start (ALOM problem)
I am have SUnfire V210 I am unable to go past ALOM I tried poweroff, but it would not work. I also tried reser from sc> prompt but it would not take me anywhere. Showplatform says, the system is in stopped state. Need help, do I have a reinstall the OS. If so how do I do that. truejack@indiainfo.com (True Jack) wrote in message news:<7e3a95e5.0405290525.211f158@posting.google.com>... > I am have SUnfire V210 > I am unable to go past ALOM > I tried poweroff, but it would not work. > I also tried reser from sc> prompt but it would not take me anywhere. > Showpla...

A simple problem, but a problem ...
Hello, can anyone solve the following problem ? It looks quite simple to me, but I can't get it right. The advice suggests the following: mr(yes). mr(no). mrs(yes). mrs(no). marcel(yes). marcel(no). jacqu(yes). jacqu(no). grandpa(yes). grandpa(no). but how can I use this to solve the problem ? thanx a lot Maxx Problem: If Mr. Johnson goes, his wife goes too. At least one of the children, Marcel or Jacqueline, goes too. If Marcel goes, grandpa goes too. If Mrs. Johnson goes, grandpa stays at home. If Jacqueline goes, Mr. Johnson and Marcel go too. Write a prolog program, which det...

Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...
Guys: This is very strange problem, looklike this problem is not going to leave me for months. I have a computer with Windows2K and Linux. I have Netgear 4-port Switch/Router (connected to DSL modem). If I boot with Linux, everything is OK, I can be on-line, also two of my other computers works fine. If I boot my PC with Win2K, then immediately all computers are down. None of the computer connected to network. I thought some problem with LAN card, so I went for early bird sale on day after Thanksgiving and I got one LinkSys PCI LAN card and one Router and I plugged new LAN card into my machin...

Windows 7 and Eudora 7.1: problems, problems and problems.
Hi, 3 days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7 and since first day I have problem with Eudora 7.1. My problems are when Eudora downloads emails. I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets stuck on 3� account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again regularly. Therefore I have deleted the 3� account then I have done the download. Eudora downloads 3 account regularly again then it gets stuck again. Always the same problem. Then ..... I have unistalled Eudora and deleted every trace on registry then I have installed it again but now I have the same problems. Perhaps have I to replace Eudora 7 with Eudora 8? I want to cry!!!! Help me please. Thanks a lot. PS. I have replaced beacause it is important for me new mailboxes with old mailboxes and I replaced Eudora.ini. Perhaps is it my problem? AroundTheWorld <AroundTheWorld@DELETEinterfree.it> wrote in news:s4usj5p0otqo5hlr30rsbnibj2t0uh3od1@4ax.com: > Hi, 3 days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7 and since first > day I have problem with Eudora 7.1. > My problems are when Eudora downloads emails. > I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets > stuck on 3� account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again > regularly. > Therefore I have deleted the 3� account then I have done the download. > Eudora downloads 3 account regularly again then it gets stuck again. > Always the same problem. > Then ..... I h...

Linux to Linux Fileshare Problem
I have two old desktops both running Ubuntu Linux, I also have an XP laptop all working behind a draytek 2600 router. Samba is set up on both Linux machines, my XP machine can access both Linux machines and both Linux machines can access the XP laptop. Problem is neither Linux machine can view the other's files. If from either Linux machine I connect to the network it shows the other Linux machine, clicking on the networked Linux machine it then lists the shared directories but if I click on the directories a window opens requesting a username, domain and password. The username sh...

I have a problem displaying a GIF image in windows BUT not in linux!!!
All the images I am displaying are GIF. Some of the images appear distorted and cropped when displayed. However, others are displayed perfectely. All the images appear normal in linux. Perhaps it's a problem with a driver? Here is the code I use with the frame widget ($FileList[$i] is an array of gif names): $frame=$ChapterFrame->Frame(-relief=>'groove',-borderwidth=>2)->pack; $img = $frame->Photo(-file=> $FileList[$i]); $frame->Label(-image => $img)->pack; On 10 Feb 2005 21:43:21 -0800, "PhoneJack" <martoa@alum.rpi.edu> wr...

Problem on Linux OS/390 for Db2 Connect
I have a problem to connect to db2 connect on suse os/390. I've created 2 classes DB_R.java driver type 4. and DB_L.java driver type 2. When I run I have result: Driver type 4 works fine. Driver type 2 does not work. "SQLException: No suitable driver" After all I was trying to use db2profile, result the same. But every thing works fine on Windows box. beausr@APPS1:~/cafe> export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-s390-141 beausr@APPS1:~/cafe> export PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:/home/db2usr/sqllib/bin:${PATH} beausr@APPS1:~/cafe> ex...

newbie question: install problem: filesystem not found
Hi all I am trying to install a freeBSD based software (that comes in a bootable install CD) on a clean PC. It says it installs fine and when rebooted to load from the new FreeBSD OS in the PC, it complains about the following and stops: mounting root from ufs: /dev/ad0s1a warning: block size restricts cylinders per group to 101 automatic boot in progress... can't stat: /dev/ad0s1a : no such file or directory can't stat: /dev/ad0s1a : no such file or directory /dev/ad0s1a: can't check file system. /dev/ad0s1a: unexpected inconsistency: run fsck manually automatic file system check failed...help! Even though I can understand that there needs to be some entry missing regarding the /dev/ad0s1a, I do not know enough to make any changes. Any help welcome, Sri ...

very strange display problem with PC Linux OS!!!!!!
I just bought a new computer, custom built. Had it set up with dual boot PC Linux/Windows. Default boot is Linux. When I boot to Linux, everything looks great and I see the splash screen and the progress bar telling me it's loading. But, after it's loaded, and I'm waiting for the login prompt, my display goes blank, and stays blank (black.) On my LCD, I get a message box moving around that says "frequency out of range." It was running at 60hz so I set it to 75hz...same problem. Hooked up an old NEC CRT monitor, screen still goes black, but no message is displayed....

Web resources about - gif problem or filesystem problem? - comp.os.linux.questions

Filesystem in Userspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Filesystem in Userspace ( FUSE ) is an operating system mechanism for Unix-like computer operating systems that lets non-privileged users create ...

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

XFS: Recent and Future Adventures in Filesystem Scalability - Dave Chinner - YouTube
Filesystems are being asked to scale to larger configurations every week. They need to store more files, larger amounts of data and be able to ...

Former Google engineer revs up a new Linux filesystem
An ex-Googler is writing a file system, Bcachefs, to match the speed of traditional Linux file systems with the advanced scalability and reliability ...

Opinion: Why a visible filesystem in iOS is key if the iPad Pro is to be a true PC replacement
... Jobs Continue reading more about Apple Inc , Steve Jobs , and Opinion at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Opinion: Why a visible filesystem ...

P2P-like Tahoe filesystem offers secure storage in the cloud
Tahoe is a secure cloud filesystem that is licensed under the GPL. Its …

Bcachefs is a new speed-focus Linux filesystem from Kent Overstreet
... Kent Overstreet a little over five years ago. Now the Linux kernel block layer cache is being used as the basis for a new open source filesystem. ...

Filesystem Metadata Doesn't Scale
Metadata tucked away inside a binary file.. isn't. But Windows Media Player doesn't care a whit about my painstakingly constructed file names ...

iPhone Hackers: "we have owned the filesystem"
The kooky hacking kids over at IRC channel #iphone claim to have gained full ownership of the iPhone filesystem. In an update titled 'How to ...

Red Hat Releases RHEL 7 With New Filesystem, Docker Support
After three and a half years in development, a major milestone update for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat's flagship Linux platform, debuts. ...