Why can't Linux see my NIC?

I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my PC
connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag during
boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters, I'm on
Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

0
Hiawatha
2/20/2004 5:32:32 AM
comp.os.linux.questions 1469 articles. 0 followers. terence (6) is leader. Post Follow

Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:
> problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.

It would be a little easier if you know which NIC is that.
Davide

--
| Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western
| Civilization? Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.

0
Davide
2/20/2004 6:07:35 AM
It's a generic NIC based on the 3Com 3C905TX.

"Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
> I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my PC
> connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
> problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag during
> boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters, I'm
on
> Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.

0
Hiawatha
2/20/2004 6:44:36 AM
"Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message news:<QZgZb.62972$KV5.54611@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...
> I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my PC
> connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
> problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag during
> boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters, I'm on
> Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.

Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
few things you can check.

"lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
pci)
"ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
"lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded

I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
DHCP.
0
comeand
2/20/2004 11:14:40 AM
Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up. But
I still can't reach the Internet.  Apparently it doesn't see the router at
all.  That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked and
it would have been assigned an IP address.

So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
SUSE correctly.  Anybody ever see anything like this?

Thanks.

"Mattias Honrendgard" <comeand@kissmyfatarse.com> wrote in message
> "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
> > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my
PC
> > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
> > problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag
during
> > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters, I'm
on
> > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
> few things you can check.
>
> "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
> pci)
> "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
> "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
>
> I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
> you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
> will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
> no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
> DHCP.

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 1:36:03 AM
Hiawatha Bray wrote:

> Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up.
> But
> I still can't reach the Internet.  Apparently it doesn't see the router at
> all.  That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked
> and it would have been assigned an IP address.
>
> So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
> SUSE correctly.  Anybody ever see anything like this?

Don't know if I can help, but:

(a) Is your dsl pppoe (seems not to be, but have to ask)?

(b) Are you using your router as a router (do you have a local network?) or
as a bridge (direct connection between your machine and your isp)? In case
of a "bridge", is your modem in "bridge"?

I worked with an Adsll provider which was not pppoe; Using Knnopix (not
SuSE), booting from the cd, it would be automatically detected; I'd be on
the web in seconds. Really, had to do nothing.

In that machine, the would be a 3c905b (not the 3c509), using the 3c59x
module (and some ppp modules). So:

(c) Is the 3c59x module being loaded? If not, you may try to load it
mannually:

modprobe 3c59x
                 ^^^^^<-If I'm not mistaken!)

If it is pppoe, than it is different. You may have to download some files
(www.roaringpenguin.com) and do some configuring.

Keep us informed about the outcome, ok?

Good luck!

0
Paulo
2/21/2004 3:00:16 AM
I think Verizon is pppoe.

But I'm plugging into the router.  So I shouldn't have to use ppp at all,
right?  It should just talk to the router, the way it does in WinXP, Win
2000 or on my Mac for that matter.

"Paulo R. Dallan" <prdolc@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
> Hiawatha Bray wrote:
>
> > Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up.
> > But
> > I still can't reach the Internet.  Apparently it doesn't see the router
at
> > all.  That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked
> > and it would have been assigned an IP address.
> >
> > So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
> > SUSE correctly.  Anybody ever see anything like this?
>
> Don't know if I can help, but:
>
> (a) Is your dsl pppoe (seems not to be, but have to ask)?
>
> (b) Are you using your router as a router (do you have a local network?)
or
> as a bridge (direct connection between your machine and your isp)? In case
> of a "bridge", is your modem in "bridge"?
>
> I worked with an Adsll provider which was not pppoe; Using Knnopix (not
> SuSE), booting from the cd, it would be automatically detected; I'd be on
> the web in seconds. Really, had to do nothing.
>
> In that machine, the would be a 3c905b (not the 3c509), using the 3c59x
> module (and some ppp modules). So:
>
> (c) Is the 3c59x module being loaded? If not, you may try to load it
> mannually:
>
> modprobe 3c59x
>                  ^^^^^<-If I'm not mistaken!)
>
> If it is pppoe, than it is different. You may have to download some files
> (www.roaringpenguin.com) and do some configuring.
>
> Keep us informed about the outcome, ok?
>
> Good luck!

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 7:03:04 AM
Hiawatha Bray wrote:

> I think Verizon is pppoe.
>
> But I'm plugging into the router.  So I shouldn't have to use ppp at all,
> right?

Nop, you use ppp; you may not have to login through a script/program over
the os, if your "router" is doing so, but it may not be. Check comments
below.

> It should just talk to the router, the way it does in WinXP, Win
> 2000 or on my Mac for that matter.

Not necessarily. The router can be programmed to access the pppoe directly,
making the "login" therein (i.e., the router makes the login) OR NOT. Check
with your ISP. Ex.: I've worked with an ISP which used pppoe, there was a
router connected to the nic, but in fact it was assigned as bridge; The
connection login was made by an script through software. And, in fact, it
had a win CD installation, Windows was scripted to connect directly; OTOH,
there was no Linux support! (i.e., one had to connect using a Linux pppoe
program; in www.roaringpenguin.com they have a free one which is quite
good).

So, again:

(a) Really check with your ISP if your dsl is pppoe?

(b) Are you using your router as (i) a router only for login purposes; (ii)
as a real router (i.e., do you have a local network?); or (iii) as a bridge
(direct connection between your machine and your isp) (ps.: by the latest
info, seems to be router, but again, if necessary, check with your ISP)? In
case of a "bridge", is your adsl (I'm supposing it is adsl; correct me if
necessary) modem in "bridge mode"?

(c) As your nic is an generic 3c905, is the 3c59x module being loaded? Check
with the "lsmod" command and copy the results here.

Good luck!

0
Paulo
2/21/2004 8:40:43 AM
Paulo R. Dallan wrote:

> Hiawatha Bray wrote:
>
>> I think Verizon is pppoe.

<snip>

BTW, ALSO, what are the answers to the following commands:
"lspci"
"lsmod"
"ifconfig"

0
Paulo
2/21/2004 9:01:32 AM
In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:
> Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up. But
> I still can't reach the Internet.  Apparently it doesn't see the router at
> all.  That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked and
> it would have been assigned an IP address.
>
> So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
> SUSE correctly.  Anybody ever see anything like this?

Likely you are not setting something right on either the router or
the linux machines.

Try "ifconfig" and "route -n" and see if the tables are properly
set up.

--

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
(jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)

pgp/gpg public key available at http://www.keyserver.net
0
Stephen
2/21/2004 2:36:43 PM
I get "command not found" for lspci and ifconfig -a.  For lsmod, I got a
whole batch of stuff, including

3c59x  27024  1

Which seems to mean that the computer sees my NIC.  Indeed, it does see it
when I boot up using a static IP address.  You can see the NIC being
activated during the bootup process.  But it still doesn't talk to the
router.  So what do I try next?  Thanks.

"Mattias Honrendgard" <comeand@kissmyfatarse.com> wrote in message
> "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
> > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my
PC
> > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
> > problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag
during
> > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters, I'm
on
> > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
> few things you can check.
>
> "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
> pci)
> "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
> "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
>
> I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
> you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
> will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
> no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
> DHCP.

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 7:57:57 PM
I get "command not found" with ifconfig and route -n.

"Stephen Jenuth" <jenuths@horace.homacjen.ab.ca> wrote in message
> In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:
> > Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up.
But
> > I still can't reach the Internet.  Apparently it doesn't see the router
at
> > all.  That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked
and
> > it would have been assigned an IP address.
> >
> > So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
> > SUSE correctly.  Anybody ever see anything like this?
>
> Likely you are not setting something right on either the router or
> the linux machines.
>
> Try "ifconfig" and "route -n" and see if the tables are properly
> set up.
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stephen Jenuth
> (jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)
>
> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
>
> pgp/gpg public key available at http://www.keyserver.net

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 7:58:44 PM
Oh, wait...lspci and ifconfig must be run as root.  My bad.

lspci now shows my NIC as a 3Com 3c905

ifconfig -a shows a mess of network interfaces, including the NIC card.

route -n shows the card as well.

Destination 192.168.1.0  Gateway 0.0.0.0   Genmask 255.255.255.0  Flags U
Metric 0 Ref 0 Use 0 Iface eth0

I think it's pretty clearly established that the computer sees the NIC, but
it doesn't see the router.  So what's the next step?  Thanks.
"Mattias Honrendgard" <comeand@kissmyfatarse.com> wrote in message
> "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
> > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my
PC
> > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
> > problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag
during
> > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters, I'm
on
> > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624 router.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
> few things you can check.
>
> "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
> pci)
> "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
> "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
>
> I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
> you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
> will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
> no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
> DHCP.

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 8:04:00 PM
Never mind, all...I figured it out.

Inside the Yast utility, I found an entry asking for the default gateway.  I
typed in the IP address of my router.  Bingo!  Now I'm on the net.

Thanks much!

"Stephen Jenuth" <jenuths@horace.homacjen.ab.ca> wrote in message
> In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:
> > Okay...I tried assigning a static IP address, and now the NIC starts up.
But
> > I still can't reach the Internet.  Apparently it doesn't see the router
at
> > all.  That figures, since if it could, I presume DHCP would have worked
and
> > it would have been assigned an IP address.
> >
> > So my guess is that for some reason the Speedstream router won't talk to
> > SUSE correctly.  Anybody ever see anything like this?
>
> Likely you are not setting something right on either the router or
> the linux machines.
>
> Try "ifconfig" and "route -n" and see if the tables are properly
> set up.
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stephen Jenuth
> (jenuths@homacjen.ab.ca)
>
> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
>
> pgp/gpg public key available at http://www.keyserver.net

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 8:25:12 PM

> Oh, wait...lspci and ifconfig must be run as root.  My bad.
>
> lspci now shows my NIC as a 3Com 3c905
>
> ifconfig -a shows a mess of network interfaces, including the NIC card.
>
> route -n shows the card as well.
>
> Destination 192.168.1.0  Gateway 0.0.0.0   Genmask 255.255.255.0  Flags U
> Metric 0 Ref 0 Use 0 Iface eth0
>
> I think it's pretty clearly established that the computer sees the NIC,
but
> it doesn't see the router.  So what's the next step?  Thanks.
> "Mattias Honrendgard" <comeand@kissmyfatarse.com> wrote in message
> > "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm dual booting Windows XP and SUSE Linux 9.  When I'm in Windows, my
> PC
> > > connects on bootup to my broadband router through its NIC card with no
> > > problems.  But in Linux, it doesn.'t.  I get the red "failed" flag
> during
> > > boot for my eth0 when it attempts a DHCP connection.  If it matters,
I'm
> on
> > > Verizon DSL using a Siemens/Efficient Networks SpeedStream 2624
router.

> > > Any ideas?  Thanks.
> >
> > Not sure about SUSE specifics and "red failed flags", but there are a
> > few things you can check.
> >
> > "lspci" will show you if linux can see the NIC at all (assuming it is
> > pci)
> > "ifconfig -a" will show you all configured network interfaces
> > "lsmod" will show you which modules you have loaded
> >
> > I'd take a guess that you don't have the module (In "Windows" I guess
> > you'd call this a "driver") loaded. Either way, running those commands
> > will show you wether your NIC is correctly set up or not. If there is
> > no problem with the nic, then you can move on to how you're doing
> > DHCP.

0
Hiawatha
2/21/2004 8:26:19 PM
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:57:57 GMT, Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:

If you'd quit top posting and trim your posts, I will give you the very
simple answer you need here.

AC

0
Alan
2/21/2004 8:58:25 PM
In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:
> I get "command not found" for lspci and ifconfig -a.

Theer's nothing unusual about that - they're not in your PATH. Call
them by full path, or add tehir directory to your PATH.

> For lsmod, I got a
> whole batch of stuff, including
>
> 3c59x  27024  1

FIne.

> Which seems to mean that the computer sees my NIC.

Mu..  "meaningless".  It means that the driver has loaded, that's all.
It may not load if it finds no card that it can drive, but you don't
know that ...

> Indeed, it does see it

"see" it??

> when I boot up using a static IP address.

That's fine then.

> You can see the NIC being
> activated during the bootup process.  But it still doesn't talk to the
> router.  So what do I try next?  Thanks.

There's nothing to "try". If your nic is up and running, then placing
packets on the net via it causes your router to "see" them (in your
parlance). It's a perfectly deterministic process.

What precisely are you trying to do? Run ifconfig to check the state of
i/o via the nic. Run route to check your routing tables. Run tcpdump to
sniff the net.

Peter
0
ptb
2/21/2004 10:50:16 PM
In comp.os.linux.help Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com> wrote:
> I get "command not found" with ifconfig and route -n.

Try /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n

or look for them using find / -name ifconfig

There are likely somewhere, you just have to find them.