configuring "named" to provide DNS for Windows home network clients?

I configured named successfully on my Linux box because I use Verizon
DSL, and their DNS servers can take almost a full minute to respond to a
single request during peak hours.

So now the machine it's running on is much, much faster for internet
use.

I understand that named is a caching nameserver but where is the cache
stored? In RAM or the hard drive?

And how do I get my wife's Windoze machine to use my Linux box as her
primary DNS server? I added the IP address of my Linux machine to the
top her Win2K DNS server list but I don't know how to tell from a
windows side what server Windows is getting it's name resolution from.

Thanks,
Keith

0
Keith
9/11/2003 8:40:04 PM
comp.os.linux.redhat 3518 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:40:04 -0700, Keith Clark
<clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I configured named successfully on my Linux box because I use Verizon
>DSL, and their DNS servers can take almost a full minute to respond to a
>single request during peak hours.
>
>So now the machine it's running on is much, much faster for internet
>use.
>
>I understand that named is a caching nameserver but where is the cache
>stored? In RAM or the hard drive?
>
>And how do I get my wife's Windoze machine to use my Linux box as her
>primary DNS server? I added the IP address of my Linux machine to the
>top her Win2K DNS server list but I don't know how to tell from a
>windows side what server Windows is getting it's name resolution from.
>
>Thanks,
>Keith

If the Windows box is pointing to the Linux box as a DNS server, and
the Windows box is resolving addresses, it is working! How else!

If you need proof, open a command prompt. Type in; "nslookup
www.att.net" (without the quotes) and see what the nameserver is.

Rich Piotrowski

To reply via E-Mail use rpiotro(at)wi(dot)rr(dot)com
0
Rich
9/12/2003 3:48:07 AM

Rich Piotrowski wrote:

> If the Windows box is pointing to the Linux box as a DNS server, and
> the Windows box is resolving addresses, it is working! How else!

Well, I actually put *two* entries in the Windows DNS server table, the first
entry points to the Linux box and the second entry points to Verizon. I did
that because there are times when the Linux box is turned of or running
Windows and I don't want my wife's machine to not have 'net access during
those times (I get in trouble enough as it is ;->).

> If you need proof, open a command prompt. Type in; "nslookup
> www.att.net" (without the quotes) and see what the nameserver is.

Thanks!!! That's the answer I was looking for. I appreciate it!

--Keith

0
Keith