FC3 : HP Printer Drivers For HP PSC 1610

Hi people ,

I have recently purchased a HP PSC-1610 all in one printer , scanner and
copier and I have it installed on my Win 98 box and it works good.

I also have a FC3 box connected to the Win 98 box and I want to use the HP
printer from the FC3 as a networked printer and I am unsure about which
driver to install on the FC3 box.
The two drivers that I have downloaded are

HPIJS
HPLIP

From the Linux Printing web page http://www.linuxprinting.org/ it says that
the HPIJS is the one to use for basic printing functionality and the HPLIP
is the driver for full functionality , IE - scanning and photo card unload
.... etc.

Can anybody tell me which would be the better driver to use for setting up a
network printer in FC3 to connect to a Win 98 box.
( I have samba set up and working between FC3 and the Win98 box )

Thanks.

--
------------------------------------
True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

Sandgroper
------------------------------------
Remove KNICKERS to Email
steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

0
Sandgroper
1/24/2006 11:14:35 AM
comp.os.linux.redhat 3518 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Sandgroper wrote:

> Hi people ,
>
> I have recently purchased a HP PSC-1610 all in one printer , scanner and
> copier and I have it installed on my Win 98 box and it works good.
>
> I also have a FC3 box connected to the Win 98 box and I want to use the HP
> printer from the FC3 as a networked printer and I am unsure about which
> driver to install on the FC3 box.
> The two drivers that I have downloaded are
>
> HPIJS
> HPLIP
>
> From the Linux Printing web page http://www.linuxprinting.org/ it says
> that the HPIJS is the one to use for basic printing functionality and the
> HPLIP is the driver for full functionality , IE - scanning and photo card
> unload ... etc.
>
> Can anybody tell me which would be the better driver to use for setting up
> a network printer in FC3 to connect to a Win 98 box.
> ( I have samba set up and working between FC3 and the Win98 box )

Both, but if have to choose only one the hpijs rpm is the one to choose.

--
"A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
"Lenard" <lenard@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Sandgroper wrote:
>
> > Hi people ,
> >
> > I have recently purchased a HP PSC-1610 all in one printer , scanner and
> > copier and I have it installed on my Win 98 box and it works good.
> >
> > I also have a FC3 box connected to the Win 98 box and I want to use the
HP
> > printer from the FC3 as a networked printer and I am unsure about which
> > driver to install on the FC3 box.
> > The two drivers that I have downloaded are
> >
> > HPIJS
> > HPLIP
> >
> > From the Linux Printing web page http://www.linuxprinting.org/ it says
> > that the HPIJS is the one to use for basic printing functionality and
the
> > HPLIP is the driver for full functionality , IE - scanning and photo
card
> > unload ... etc.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me which would be the better driver to use for setting
up
> > a network printer in FC3 to connect to a Win 98 box.
> > ( I have samba set up and working between FC3 and the Win98 box )
>
> Both, but if have to choose only one the hpijs rpm is the one to choose.

Thanks , I will install the HPIJS package.

As a side note , my network set up using two dual boot boxes both running
FC3 and Win98 , from my original question , I only ask about installing a
network printer from my FC3 box to the Win98 box in which my printer is
attached.

The system that has the printer attached , I started up FC3 on it and
installed the HPLIP package from a tar.gz file and then went through the
instructions of making the package , it all went well , but when I went to
select the driver for the printer , nothing has changed in the HP list of
drivers and the only one that I really can select is the HP PSC 1300 driver
, from what I have read , there should be a driver in this package for the
1600 series .
No new drivers have been added to the list .

Do you know why the new drivers didn't show up in the HP driver list ? and
do you know how to add all the newer drivers to the list ?

Thanks.

--
------------------------------------
True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

Sandgroper
------------------------------------
Remove KNICKERS to Email
steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

0
Sandgroper
1/24/2006 4:43:28 PM
Sandgroper wrote:

> Thanks , I will install the HPIJS package.
>
> As a side note , my network set up using two dual boot boxes both running
> FC3 and Win98 , from my original question , I only ask about installing a
> network printer from my FC3 box to the Win98 box in which my printer is
> attached.
>
> The system that has the printer attached , I started up FC3 on it and
> installed the HPLIP package from a tar.gz file and then went through the
> instructions of making the package , it all went well , but when I went to
> select the driver for the printer , nothing has changed in the HP list of
> drivers and the only one that I really can select is the HP PSC 1300
> driver , from what I have read , there should be a driver in this package
> for the 1600 series .
> No new drivers have been added to the list .

You do know that an hpijs rpm file for FC3 does exist????

http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/3/os/i386/hpijs-1.6-2.i386.rpm

But it's a bit old... so I would download this src.rpm file;

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/SRPMS/hpijs-1.7.1-3.src.rpm

and the latest hpijs (hpijs-2.1.4.tar.gz) tar file (if you need it again)

Install the src.rpm file and copy the hpijs-2.1.4.tar.gz file
to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and edit the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/hpijs.spec
file to reflect the newer tar file and comment out the Patch1 and Patch2
lines (2 lines for each patch). Then do; rpmbuild --ba hpijs.spec

Sample results (yours may be be different);

Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/SRPMS/hpijs-2.1.4-1.src.rpm
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/hpijs-2.1.4-1.x86_64.rpm
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/hpijs-debuginfo-2.1.4-1.x86_64.rpm

And when the building is complete install the binary rpm
from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/{ARCH} ; rpm -Uvh hpijs*.rpm

For help getting the HP PSC 1610 configured visit;
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PSC_1600

On a side note I'm not sure if Windows 98 supports IPP or IP printing and if
you can install the raw Unix printing support (if needed) on Windows 98.

--
"A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005
0
Lenard
1/24/2006 7:41:06 PM

> You do know that an hpijs rpm file for FC3 does exist????
>
> http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/3/os/i386/hpijs-1.6-2.i386.rpm
>
> But it's a bit old... so I would download this src.rpm file;

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/SRPMS/hpijs-1.7.1-3.src.rpm

> and the latest hpijs (hpijs-2.1.4.tar.gz) tar file (if you need it again)
>
> Install the src.rpm file and copy the hpijs-2.1.4.tar.gz file
> to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and edit the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/hpijs.spec
> file to reflect the newer tar file and comment out the Patch1 and Patch2
> lines (2 lines for each patch). Then do; rpmbuild --ba hpijs.spec
>
> Sample results (yours may be be different);
>
> Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/SRPMS/hpijs-2.1.4-1.src.rpm
> Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/hpijs-2.1.4-1.x86_64.rpm
> Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/hpijs-debuginfo-2.1.4-1.x86_64.rpm
>

> And when the building is complete install the binary rpm
> from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/{ARCH} ; rpm -Uvh hpijs*.rpm
>
> For help getting the HP PSC 1610 configured visit;
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PSC_1600
>
> On a side note I'm not sure if Windows 98 supports IPP or IP printing and
if
> you can install the raw Unix printing support (if needed) on Windows 98.

Hi Lenard ,
Thanks for all the info and instructions.

The HPLIP package , that I installed on the FC3 box that has the printer
attached was the latest one,  hplip-0.9.7.tar.gz and I built it from the
source code and it installed properly , what it actually does is that it
puts a HP Device Manager in the Accessories menu.

To add a printer ,you can only use the CUPS interface and web browser to
add/change the printer and all the drivers are there.
The way that I was trying to add the printer is through the Menu -> System
Settings -> Printing and these settings and drivers in that function haven't
changed , they have still got the older drivers.
Once I configured the printer through the CUPS interface , the printer works
good , and even better than what it does in Window 98.

I have already download the newer HPIJS file ,  hpijs-2.1.4.tar.gz and I
will install it on my other FC3 box later on , it should be easy now since I
have found out about having to use only the CUPS interface.

Thanks for all your help.

--