LDAP result: 32 No such object

Hi all,

I'm fooling around with ldap and have configured my RH9.0 system
(slapd.conf, ldap.conf,etc) per the Oreilly LDAP System Admin book,
but when I

$ ldapsearch -x -b dc=hpcgg,dc=org "objectclass=*"

I get this...

version: 2

#
# filter: objectclass=*
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

My inital entries were "slapadd"ed from a file with these entries

# build root node
dn: dc=hpcgg,dc=org
dc: hpcgg
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: HPCGG Dot Org

# Build people ou
dn: ou=people,dc=hpcgg,dc=org
ou: people
objectClass: organizationalUnit

Pretty much straight out of the book.  I thought ldapsearch would help
me "see" what's in the backend database (I'm using sleepycat ldbm).
Is there another way?  How do I get around this issue?

Thanks
Philip Juels
pjuels@rics.bwh.harvard.edu
0
pjuels
9/4/2003 3:54:56 PM
comp.os.linux.redhat 3518 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

pjuels@rics.bwh.harvard.edu (Philip Juels) wrote in message news:<4cdea80b.0309040754.2b20f1d6@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm fooling around with ldap and have configured my RH9.0 system
> (slapd.conf, ldap.conf,etc) per the Oreilly LDAP System Admin book,
> but when I
>
> $ ldapsearch -x -b dc=hpcgg,dc=org "objectclass=*"

First idea: no filter, just

ldapsearch -x

(hope your ldap.conf points to the right base...)

Next idea: "loglevel 768" in slapd.conf,
so you can see in /var/log/messages what you are doing..

If you wan to point the logs to another file, you have to modify /etc/syslog.conf..

hth

Roger
0
roger_hohmann
9/5/2003 2:54:19 PM
roger_hohmann.spam@arcor.de (Roger Hohmann) wrote in message news:<fc9e2e10.0309050654.5d467d4d@posting.google.com>...
> pjuels@rics.bwh.harvard.edu (Philip Juels) wrote in message news:<4cdea80b.0309040754.2b20f1d6@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm fooling around with ldap and have configured my RH9.0 system
> > (slapd.conf, ldap.conf,etc) per the Oreilly LDAP System Admin book,
> > but when I
> >
> > $ ldapsearch -x -b dc=hpcgg,dc=org "objectclass=*"
>
> First idea: no filter, just
>
> ldapsearch -x
>
> (hope your ldap.conf points to the right base...)
>
> Next idea: "loglevel 768" in slapd.conf,
> so you can see in /var/log/messages what you are doing..
>
> If you wan to point the logs to another file, you have to modify /etc/syslog.conf..
>
> hth
>
> Roger

I get the same error with just "ldapsearch -x".

I get a couple of interesting messages in my slapd.log file...

just after slapd is started, I get...
daemon: socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)

When I do the simple ldapsearch, I get...
<= dn2id could not open dn2id.dbb

However, dn2id.dbb exists under /var/lib/ldap with perms of 600.

Thanks,

Phil
0
pjuels