"Can't find CD, insert additional driver floppy". But, it's booted from CD!

I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.1 into a system built around a
Pentium 4 on an Asus P4C800-E motherboard. I have two SATA drives and
intend to dual boot, one drive for Windows and one for Linux. I have
Mandrake Linux 10 installed on one drive, and Windows XP Pro on the
other.
The installation CD will boot and ask me to select how I want to
install. I select to run the install with the default graphical
interface.
The installer tells me "No CDROM device found" (I have to press OK).
(I mutter "You just booted from it! How can you not find it!?!")
"Please insert the additional drivers CD".

"The what?"

OK� what gives?
(I am newbie to the max, if you havn't guessed.)
0
notgiven
3/31/2005 3:27:10 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Ok, welcome to this particular weirdness - it freaked me out too.
Booting from a CD is like booting from a floppy - the BIOS finds the
first few sectors of the CD and reads what's there. Once the kernel has
loaded from the CD, it's a whole new ball game. Although the BIOS
booted from the CD, and knows it's there, Linux doesn't. Yet.

Sadly I don't know Mandrake at all (I use Debian, and have used RedHat
and Slackware), but most distributions have an "expert mode" for the
installer, which will allow you to tell it what hardware you have. If
you can run the installer in this expert mode, and tell it you have an
Intel ICH5R, it should then find all your attached CD-ROM and hard
drives.

I'm sorry if that's not terribly helpful ...

CC

0
magnate
4/1/2005 1:31:19 PM
I am still having problems, but have narrowed it down quite a bit. I
can install Mandrake 10.0 from CD ROM disks (read by the DVD) fine.
If I try to install 10.1 from DVD the install hangs with read errors
on the DVD while trying to load the ramdisk for stage2.

The same DVD installs properly on my laptop, and a second DVD from a
second image file has exactly the same symptoms.

I think (from looking at the installation messages) that the
installation program thinks it is reading a CD rather than a DVD, and
further suspect this is causing the failure� perhaps there are
different ramdisk images on the DVD than what is expected?

I am wondering if it is possible to put the decompressed DVD image on
a USB hard drive and install from there? (Reasoning: Perhaps 10.1 is
identifying my DVD as a CDROM, but would correctly work from a USB
HD?). I don't know how to "burn" an image file to hard drive. Nero
does not give this as an option.

I suspect it should be possible to format the HD, make it bootable,
and just copy the files over. It would seem that this would have to be
done from Linux, since I suspect the installer will want a Linux file
system (true?).
I do have a working Linux 10.0 system and a working Windows system,
but am quite new to Linux.

If I had a different DVD reader I'd try that first.

0
notgiven

Help! Can't read file with the char's. " / " and "." !
  Hi fellows!   I got this file : example.     13-06-06 12:30:20,526        -3,568  13-06-06 12:30:20,529      -13,528 13-06-06 12:30:20,556      -30,568 .. .. ..          My program writes this file, and in my program i also got a  ReadFile.VI, to read this file and plot...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

mplayer can't play "link," and I can't find the real one
I'm trying to listen to my football game, but I can't get mplayer to cooperate. I'm trying to play a link from http://knbr.com/listenNow.html without much luck (I want the link from the right for the 1050 station). The button link is javascript:openplayer('http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM'); so I try mplayer "http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/player/pages/index.asp?headertext=KNBR 1050 The Sports Leader&Station=KTCT_AM" and after some whirring...

SYBERIA 2 "Can't Find CD ROM"
I just started playing Syberia 2, and after a few plays and days later, the game won't start due to a "can't find the cd rom" alert. Has anybody experienced this?... and is there a patch out there somewhere for S2? I've now installed the game on two different pc's and I get the same alert. I'm assuming now that there's something wrong with the disc, however, the CD is in perfect (scratch-free) condition. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Mike vistaman@earthlink.net vistaman@earthlink.net wrote in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure: > I just sta...

Can't Find Answer Any Where (What would you do/try): fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The fact that I'm using a shared drive may be mute information. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the fil...

"Even a 'genius' can't use Linux"
Or so the "genius" WinTrolls would have you believe. I finally broke down and bought a $10, 64MB nVidia MX440 video card to replace my onboard Intel graphics chip. (Yeah, I'm a big spender.) So how hard was that to set it up in Linux? I've done it twice (and I'm going to get one for the CentOS box as well). In VectorLinux I had to run VASM (VectorLinux Administration and System Menu) in root and set up X Windows. (VASM is used for just about any change in VectorLinux.) It asked if I wanted to load the nVidia proprietary drivers, I clicked yes, and watc...

"Can't find project or library" on VBA's CurDir function...
This confuses the hell out of me... Is there a way to kick Excel in its behind to make it realize that if it can find the rest of its VBA.xxx functions, it should know where "CurDir" is too? -- Dag. Dag Sunde wrote: > This confuses the hell out of me... > > Is there a way to kick Excel in its behind to make it realize > that if it can find the rest of its VBA.xxx functions, it > should know where "CurDir" is too? Just tried it in Excel 97 and Excel 2003. It worked in both. Anything else to go on? "Dag Sunde" <me@dagsunde.com> wrot...

"Locked" CD's & DVD's
Not sure this is my system or universal . . . Anyway does anybody have the same problem and know why? Certain CD-Roms and DVD-Roms will read fine in their respective drives and then will not eject. The properties SAY the "Locked" is unchecked or listed as 'Locked' so as to be able to lock them - but this has no effect. Clicking "eject" gives a system error of wrong parameter. Pressing the button on the drive has no effect. Other CD's and DVD's either do not "lock" or say in properties "Unlock" which when clicked d...

Check boxes that can't be checked? Yep
"The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)" http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617 "Linux is well-tested by many eyes" On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:59:01 -0500, DFS wrote: > "The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check > box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application prob...

"Can't find package xxx"
Probably the subject line indicates most of the issue. If I run a script containing a package require xxx tcl is complaining that it can't find the package, even though I've confirmed that it's definitely in a subdirectory in the tcl_pkgPath. No idea why this is happening, although it seems to me to be likely to be something very, very basic. This is running tcl 8.5 in Fedora 17. tcl_pkgPath variable is /usr/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/share/tcl8.5 /usr/lib/tk8.5 /usr/share/tk8.5. I don't know what other information you may need; please let me know and I'll attempt to p...

lynx 'browser' can't do "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"
lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via dump > fileID. But [my current version] doesn't render the 'style' of: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" What is this new "xml" crap ? Will it likely take over the older *.html ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. news@absamail.co.za wrote in news:1172596265.663611@vasbyt.isdsl.net: > lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via > dump > fileID. > > But [my current version] doesn't ...

[OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.
Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's" is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further embarrassment (assuming you care ;-). If your friends won't tell you, who will ;-) Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong ;-) OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se? E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it...

Suddenly Can't Use "ifstream"s and "ofstream"s
I had a working piece of code that successfully read from files with the "ifstream" type and wrote to files with the "ofstream" type. This code is made up of a number of different files. In the course of the job I needed for two of these files to have access to one piece of information, so I created a class that I called "CSuffix" and stored the common information there. So I created a "Suffix.h" file that looks like: #pragma once class CSuffix { public: static void initialize (); static void increment (); static c...

"can't find boot device" for boot mirror.
Hi all, I'm using Solaris DiskSuite to manage a boot mirror & a RAID. This is the first time I've ever set this up, & I'm having a hard time with the boot mirror. (I'm using this as a reference: http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/solstice_disksuite.htm) Where I'm getting screwed up is the "creating alternate name for mirrored boot disk" step. The doc says do this: a.) Find physical path name for the second boot disk # ls -l /dev/rdsk/c1t3d0s0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Sep 12 11:19 /dev/rdsk/c1t3d0s0 ->../../devices/sbus@1,f8000000/esp@1,200000/sd@...

O.T. What's the right forum to ask general purpose linux Q's ==> Like "How do I launch an internet browser from a linux box?"
I am just getting into linux. Sorry for the newbie Q's. But I really do need to stop running back 'n forth between linux & window$ box just to google for something when I need to. I'm ready to make the transition from windoze to linux and need to learn how to do the routine tasks I'm already familiar with in window$ platform. I've been told this is the group for security questions only. I understand that, and will make every effort to air my Q's in the appropriate groups. Thank-you. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:49:36 -0500, MLH wrote: > I am just getti...

Steve Jobs

Linux crapware victim: "can't leave house without recovery CD... more than ready to give up on this" Ubuntu shitware
"I had to fsck my file system again today. I can't even leave the house without a boot CD so I can recover from this stuff. Even if the freeze issue is ever resolved, I'm not sure I'd even want to stay on this distribution. It's not reliable in any case. I had no freeze on this either. I did a normal shutdown. I checked the bug reports Laysan_A pointed out. The posts on that bug don't seem to be any more meaningful than what we're talking about on this thread. I hate to add more noise. As a developer I don't see how to make any more sense out of what...

Can't mount CD's or DVD's
The system: Dual Core Athlon 4Gig Mem. OS Opensuse 10.0 Kernel 2.6.13-15.12-smp x86_64 I've got 2 DVD drives. A cheap IDE DVD burner that lists as "DC DQ60" under the hardware listing and an old Creative SCSI DVD-RAM RAM1220S. They both were previously working fine 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now neither one will mount any media I place in either one. I tried several CD's and DVD's that all mount fine in both a Suse 10.1 system and a RedHat EL 4.0 system. They contain various OS installs. Both drives are recognized and are listed in the YaST hardware listing. Both drives open wh...

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

Why doesn't can't a vector of "Derived" be passed to function taking vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*> arr; ...

Can't "click through" Static Text even with 'HitTest' set to 'off'?
I've got a GUI with some static text labels that I created in an .m file using the uicontrol() function. I made sure upon creation to set 'HitTest' to 'off'. I can check the controls after the fact, and indeed they all have 'HitTest' set to 'off'. However, I have a ButtonDownFcn call for the entire figure (I'm trying to tell when the user clicks on a specific piece of static text, but the text controls are generated dynamicall). If the user clicks on the figure background, the function executes properly. However, when the static text controls ...

Can't use HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with root's bash?
Hi! I noticed HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with root (su)'s bash in my 64-bit Debian oldstable (3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64)? I have no problems in regular user (no root/su). Here are examples to compare before and after HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with history command in bash prompt: # history 6 apt-get upgrade 7 apt-get dist-upgrade 8 apt-get install mplayer 9 apt-get install vlc 10 apt-get -t backports upgrade 11 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 12 gem update 13 apt-get update 14 apt-get upgrade 15 apt-get clean 16 apt-get upgrade 17 apt-get upgrade 18 apt-get purge tzdata 19 apt-get upgrade 20 apt-get dist-upgrade 21 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 22 apt-get -t backports upgrade 23 gem update 24 apt-get update 25 apt-get upgrade 26 apt-get clean 27 apt-get upgrade 28 apt-get upgrade 29 apt-get dist-upgrade 30 apt-get -t backports upgrade 31 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 32 gem update 33 w 34 apt-get update 35 apt-get upgrade 36 apt-get upgrade 37 apt-get upgrade 38 apt-get dist-upgrade 39 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 40 apt-get -t backports upgrade 41 n 42 deborphan 43 deborphan -n 44 debfoster 45 gem update 46 locate arp.dat 47 updatedb 48 cat /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat ...

Can't "mk CONF=9pcdisk" --> gives error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error"
I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type `mk CONF=9pcdisk` and rc gives me the error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error". Why is this? Just doing mk works fine (I think). Thanks! Plan9 looks very cool... just finished reading through intro (all of it). you're using backquotes, why? that would be `{mk CONF=3D9pcdisk} in rc's syntax. now to compile that kernel the syntax is: % mk 'CONF=3Dpcdisk' now are you sure you want a pcdisk?=20 On Jul 19, 2012, at 6:07 AM, kalaracey@gmail.com wrote: > I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type >=20 ...

Why """, not '''?
Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? On Mar 5, 9:56 am, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Is it ? FWIW, I use single quotes whenever I can and double whenever I have to (i.e. rarely). George On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:56:24 -0800 (PST) MartinRinehart@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Where did you see that? The only place I saw it was the style guide and it was only talking about docstrings. Even there they used "...

Web resources about - "Can't find CD, insert additional driver floppy". But, it's booted from CD! - comp.os.linux.setup