"E233: cannot open display" when starting gvim on ubuntu 8.04 root shell

"sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
$ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
[sudo] password for ts:

However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
# gvim /etc/fstab
E233: cannot open display
Press ENTER or type command to continue
# kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
kdesudo: cannot connect to X server
0
TsanChung
8/30/2009 8:52:39 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Aug 30, 4:52=A0pm, TsanChung <tsanchung.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
> $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
> [sudo] password for ts:
>
> However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
> on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
> # gvim /etc/fstab
> E233: cannot open display
> Press ENTER or type command to continue
> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server

What does 'DISPLAY' say, before and after you run the sudo?

# echo $DISPLAY
# sudo echo $DISPLAY
0
Nico
8/30/2009 9:02:22 PM
TsanChung <tsanchung.wong@gmail.com> wrote:
> "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
> $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
> [sudo] password for ts:
>
> However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
> on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
> # gvim /etc/fstab
> E233: cannot open display
> Press ENTER or type command to continue
> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server

That's now X works.
To use X from another user, such as root, the DISPLAY environment variable
must be set and the X server TOLD to allow it.

Try this...
xhost + localhost
sudo DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
sudo gvim

--
|   spike1@freenet.co,uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                 |
On Aug 30, 5:11=A0pm, Andrew Halliwell <spi...@ponder.sky.com> wrote:
> TsanChung <tsanchung.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
> > $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
> > [sudo] password for ts:
>
> > However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
> > on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
> > # gvim /etc/fstab
> > E233: cannot open display
> > Press ENTER or type command to continue
> > # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> > kdesudo: cannot connect to X server
>
> That's now X works.
> To use X from another user, such as root, the DISPLAY environment variabl=
> must be set and the X server TOLD to allow it.
>
> Try this...
> xhost + localhost
> sudo DISPLAY=3Dlocalhost:0.0
> sudo gvim

I strongly, strongly recommend against using xhost this way. xhost is
a very powerful, and very dangerous command, that can allow massive
access to unauthorized people to your X session, for stealing
keystrokes and windows with root access and other

I regularly use 'sudo command arguments' from an X session as a non-
root user, allowing root to pop open a window using the already
available 'DISPLAY' settings. I assume kdesudo does the same thing
properly?
0
Nico
8/30/2009 9:22:52 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I strongly, strongly recommend against using xhost this way. xhost is
> a very powerful, and very dangerous command, that can allow massive
> access to unauthorized people to your X session, for stealing
> keystrokes and windows with root access and other

If the machine is single user, such as mine, there's no harm in opening
xhost to localhost. But yes, if it's a shared machine with multiple users
and sessions, it's not THAT good an idea.

> I regularly use 'sudo command arguments' from an X session as a non-
> root user, allowing root to pop open a window using the already
> available 'DISPLAY' settings. I assume kdesudo does the same thing
> properly?

There's also sux on some distros (if you don't have kde installed).
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
# gvim /etc/fstab
E233: cannot open display
Press ENTER or type command to continue
# kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
kdesudo: cannot connect to X server

# xhost + localhost
xhost:  unable to open display "localhost:0.0"

# DISPLAY=3D:0.0
# xclock
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can't open display: :0.0
# DISPLAY=3D:0
# xclock
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can't open display: :0

On Aug 30, 5:11=A0pm, Andrew Halliwell <spi...@ponder.sky.com> wrote:
> TsanChung <tsanchung.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
> > $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
> > [sudo] password for ts:
>
> > However, "E233:cannotopendisplay" error appears when starting gvim
> > on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
> > # gvim /etc/fstab
> >E233:cannotopendisplay
> > Press ENTER or type command to continue
> > # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> > kdesudo:cannotconnect to X server
>
> That's now X works.
> To use X from another user, such as root, theDISPLAYenvironment variable
> must be set and the X server TOLD to allow it.
>
> Try this...
> xhost + localhost
> sudoDISPLAY=3Dlocalhost:0.0
> sudo gvim
>
> --
> | =A0 spi...@freenet.co,uk =A0 | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pi=
nky?" =A0 |
> | =A0 Andrew Halliwell BSc =A0 | =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |
> | =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0in =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0| "I think so brain, b=
ut this time, you control =A0 |
> | =A0 =A0 Computer Science =A0 =A0 | =A0the Encounter suit, and I'll do t=
he voice..." =A0|

0
TsanChung
10/7/2009 9:40:36 PM
TsanChung wrote:
> On the root shell of Konsole on ubuntu 8.04.
> # DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> # xclock
> Error: Can't open display: localhost:0.0
> # gvim /etc/fstab
> E233: cannot open display
> Press ENTER or type command to continue
> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server
>
> # xhost + localhost
> xhost:  unable to open display "localhost:0.0"
>
> # DISPLAY=:0.0
> # xclock
> Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can't open display: :0.0
> # DISPLAY=:0
> # xclock
> Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can't open display: :0

You'll get that error if /etc/hosts defines only 127.0.0.1 as localhost,
but you're connected over IPv6.  Edit /etc/hosts so that BOTH 127.0.0.1
and ::1 are defined as localhost.

Since you're apparently connected via ssh, you really shouldn't have to
mess with xhost.  In fact, messing with xhost is usually very bad for
security.  Just connect with the -X switch, which you're probably
already doing.
0
Allen
10/7/2009 11:51:56 PM
On Oct 7, 7:51=A0pm, Allen Kistler <ackist...@oohay.moc> wrote:
> TsanChung wrote:
> > On the root shell of Konsole on ubuntu 8.04.
> > #DISPLAY=3Dlocalhost:0.0
> > # xclock
> > Error: Can'topendisplay: localhost:0.0
> > # gvim /etc/fstab
> >E233:cannotopendisplay
> > Press ENTER or type command to continue
> > # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> > kdesudo:cannotconnect to X server
>
> > # xhost + localhost
> > xhost: =A0unable toopendisplay"localhost:0.0"
>
> > #DISPLAY=3D:0.0
> > # xclock
> > Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can'topendisplay: :0.0
> > #DISPLAY=3D:0
> > # xclock
> > Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can'topendisplay: :0
>
> You'll get that error if /etc/hosts defines only 127.0.0.1 as localhost,
> but you're connected over IPv6. =A0Edit /etc/hosts so that BOTH 127.0.0.1
> and ::1 are defined as localhost.
>
> Since you're apparently connected via ssh, you really shouldn't have to
> mess with xhost. =A0In fact, messing with xhost is usually very bad for
> security. =A0Just connect with the -X switch, which you're probably
> already doing.

I followed your instructions to edit /etc/hosts as follows but the
problem still exists.
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost
127.0.1.1       tc-desktop

#::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

I am using gvim on the root shell of Konsole on ubuntu 8.04,  I am not
using ssh.  I experiment with xhost because I want to solve the
"cannot open display" problem.
0
TsanChung
10/8/2009 1:51:26 PM
TsanChung wrote:
> On Oct 7, 7:51 pm, Allen Kistler <ackist...@oohay.moc> wrote:
>> TsanChung wrote:
>>> On the root shell of Konsole on ubuntu 8.04.
>>> #DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>>> # xclock
>>> Error: Can'topendisplay: localhost:0.0
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>> [snip]
>>

> I followed your instructions to edit /etc/hosts as follows but the
> problem still exists.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> ::1             localhost
> 127.0.1.1       tc-desktop

> #::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>
> I am using gvim on the root shell of Konsole on ubuntu 8.04,  I am not
> using ssh.  I experiment with xhost because I want to solve the
> "cannot open display" problem.

Sorry.  I missed your mention of Konsole the first time.  I got
distracted by DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.

So now I'm wondering why you set DISPLAY.  It should have already been
:0.0 (i.e., no localhost hostname), which is the correct value for
someone at the console.

If you just open a terminal window and "echo $DISPLAY" then what do you
get?  If you don't set DISPLAY first, does xclock or gvim give an error
then?  They should just work without changing DISPLAY.
0
Allen
10/8/2009 8:53:22 PM
On Oct 8, 3:53=A0pm, Allen Kistler <ackist...@oohay.moc> wrote:
> TsanChung wrote:

> >> [snip]
>
> > I followed your instructions to edit /etc/hosts as follows but the
> > problem still exists.
> > 127.0.0.1 =A0 =A0 =A0 localhost
> > ::1 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 localhost
> > 127.0.1.1 =A0 =A0 =A0 tc-desktop
>
> > # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
> > #::1 =A0 =A0 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>
> > I am using gvim on the root shell of Konsole on ubuntu 8.04, =A0I am no=
> > using ssh. =A0I experiment with xhost because I want to solve the
> > "cannotopendisplay" problem.
>
> Sorry. =A0I missed your mention of Konsole the first time. =A0I got
> distracted byDISPLAY=3Dlocalhost:0.0.
>
> So now I'm wondering why you setDISPLAY. =A0It should have already been
> :0.0 (i.e., no localhost hostname), which is the correct value for
> someone at the console.
>
> If you justopena terminal window and "echo $DISPLAY" then what do you
> get? =A0If you don't setDISPLAYfirst, does xclock or gvim give an error
> then? =A0They should just work without changingDISPLAY.

I use Konsole  1.6.6 on KDE 3.5.10 & kubuntu 8.04.
The regular (non-root) console on Konsole  is ok:
$ echo $DISPLAY
:0
$ xclock

The root console on Konsole cannot start xclock:
# echo $DISPLAY
:0
# xclock
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: Can't open display: :0

0
TsanChung
11/21/2009 12:30:51 AM
How to solve E233, please? Thanks a lot. :-)

On Monday, August 31, 2009 4:52:39 AM UTC+8, TsanChung wrote:
> "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
> $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
> [sudo] password for ts:
>
> However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
> on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
> # gvim /etc/fstab
> E233: cannot open display
> Press ENTER or type command to continue
> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server

0
ugnuos
7/15/2013 6:27:19 AM
On 07/15/2013 02:27 AM, ugnuos@gmail.com wrote:
> How to solve E233, please? Thanks a lot. :-)
>
> On Monday, August 31, 2009 4:52:39 AM UTC+8, TsanChung wrote:
>> "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
>> $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
>> [sudo] password for ts:
>>
>> However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
>> on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
>> # gvim /etc/fstab
>> E233: cannot open display
>> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
>> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server

The error message "cannot open display" usually means the DISPLAY
variable is not set.
0
Bill
7/15/2013 9:01:38 AM
I see, but E233 still available after %setenv DISPLAY XXX, %echo $DISPLAY. Thanks.

On Monday, July 15, 2013 5:01:38 PM UTC+8, Bill Marcum wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 02:27 AM, ugnuos@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > How to solve E233, please? Thanks a lot. :-)
>

> > On Monday, August 31, 2009 4:52:39 AM UTC+8, TsanChung wrote:
>
> >> "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
>
> >> $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
>
> >> [sudo] password for ts:
>

> >> However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
>
> >> on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
>
> >> # gvim /etc/fstab
>
> >> E233: cannot open display
>
> >> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>
> >> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
>
> >> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server
>

> The error message "cannot open display" usually means the DISPLAY
>
> variable is not set.

0
ugnuos
7/15/2013 10:05:57 AM
Okay, I find correct DISPLAY variable now. Thanks. :)

On Monday, July 15, 2013 5:01:38 PM UTC+8, Bill Marcum wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 02:27 AM, ugnuos@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > How to solve E233, please? Thanks a lot. :-)
>

> > On Monday, August 31, 2009 4:52:39 AM UTC+8, TsanChung wrote:
>
> >> "sudo gvim" is ok on a non-root shell.
>
> >> $ sudo gvim /etc/fstab
>
> >> [sudo] password for ts:
>

> >> However, "E233: cannot open display" error appears when starting gvim
>
> >> on ubuntu 8.04 root shell.
>
> >> # gvim /etc/fstab
>
> >> E233: cannot open display
>
> >> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>
> >> # kdesudo gvim /etc/fstab
>
> >> kdesudo: cannot connect to X server
>

> The error message "cannot open display" usually means the DISPLAY
>
> variable is not set.

0
ugnuos

Linux Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. the Linux "Swiss cheese" OS
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1195-1/ 22 vulnerabilities, nice "patch day", bwahahahahahaaah!, Linux = insecure by design!!!!!!!!!!!! -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux pla...

Linux doesn't need to be rebooted..."frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.04"
"I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.04." #920 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=92 Try 'compatibility mode'. On 2010-08-27, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > "I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and > Ubuntu 10.04." > > #920 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=92 > > > > Try 'compatibility mode'. > Typical Win-droid mentality "if something doesn't work I should boot into...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"Linux" vs "GNU/Linux"
Found this interesting transcript <http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html> of a talk given by Richard Stallman while he was over in the West Island recently. Among other things, he explains why he wants people to use the term "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux" when referring to the operating system: However after people started using essentially the GNU system with Linux added, and called it Linux, it no longer led then to the philosophy associated with GNU - the philosophy of free software. Instead o...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

about "++" and "--"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

"or" and "and"

"my" and "our"

Ubuntu 8.04: "worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP WARNING!!!"
Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP WARNING!!! "Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total lockups. The systems are freezing up so tight there's no way to get diagnostics info. It's affecting different video chipsets, different WiFi chipsets, some Ethernet users, there is NO pattern to the hardware involved. A bug has been issued to the kernel team, priority high, marked "triaged": https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996 Today I did a fresh install from the release CD, standard 32bit, Intel945 video, Atheros WiFi, al...

Web resources about - "E233: cannot open display" when starting gvim on ubuntu 8.04 root shell - comp.os.linux.setup