| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil
4/19/2005 5:20:37 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
> Would be better to have:
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail -> spool/mail
> drwxrwxrwt  2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail

Make /var/spool/mail a separate partition and you can also set userquota
on the various inboxes.

Davide

--
Windows 95 is not a virus.  Viruses actually do something.
0
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:49:03 +0200 Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net> wrote:
| On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
|> Would be better to have:
|> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail -> spool/mail
|> drwxrwxrwt  2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail
|
| Make /var/spool/mail a separate partition and you can also set userquota
| on the various inboxes.

I was going to do the separate partition, though for using the noatime
option on all the other paritions, but not for mail.  But while I am
working on this, the question in my mind is whether that partition should
be mounted at /var/mail or at /var/spool/mail (and have the other point
to where mounted).  I suppose mounting with --bind at both is an option
as well.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil
4/19/2005 6:13:37 PM
On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
> working on this, the question in my mind is whether that partition should
> be mounted at /var/mail or at /var/spool/mail (and have the other point

Well, this is more a matter of your preferences, I prefer to have it
under /var/spool/mail and have /var/mail as a symlink.

Davide

--
"I'm not lean and mean, I'm surly and anorexic".
-- Chris "Saundo" Saunderson on alt.sysadmin.recovery
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:41:35 +0200 Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net> wrote:
| On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
|> working on this, the question in my mind is whether that partition should
|> be mounted at /var/mail or at /var/spool/mail (and have the other point
|
| Well, this is more a matter of your preferences, I prefer to have it
| under /var/spool/mail and have /var/mail as a symlink.

I'm looking for any reasoning one way or the other.  Could you describe
what you feel might be wrong if you had a system with the the opposite
way from your preference?

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil
4/19/2005 9:18:02 PM
On 19 Apr 2005 18:13:37 GMT, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net
  <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:49:03 +0200 Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net> wrote:
>| On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
>|> Would be better to have:
>|> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Apr 19 12:18 /var/mail -> spool/mail
>|> drwxrwxrwt  2 root root 72 Apr 19 12:18 /var/spool/mail
>|
>| Make /var/spool/mail a separate partition and you can also set userquota
>| on the various inboxes.
>
> I was going to do the separate partition, though for using the noatime
> option on all the other paritions, but not for mail.  But while I am
> working on this, the question in my mind is whether that partition should
> be mounted at /var/mail or at /var/spool/mail (and have the other point
> to where mounted).  I suppose mounting with --bind at both is an option
> as well.

I don't think there would be much difference between mounting a
partition at /var/mail or /var/spool/mail.  There is a third option,
mounting a partition at /var/spool.  Might be useful if you run a news
server.

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file
On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for any reasoning one way or the other.  Could you describe
> what you feel might be wrong

Nothing, the systems I was working on in the beginning were this way
and I kept them this way.

Davide

--
Windows Tip of the Day:
Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to your CONFIG.SYS file.
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:41:59 -0400 Bill Marcum <bmarcum@iglou.com.urgent> wrote:
| On 19 Apr 2005 18:13:37 GMT, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net
|  <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
|>| Make /var/spool/mail a separate partition and you can also set userquota
|>| on the various inboxes.
|>
|> I was going to do the separate partition, though for using the noatime
|> option on all the other paritions, but not for mail.  But while I am
|> working on this, the question in my mind is whether that partition should
|> be mounted at /var/mail or at /var/spool/mail (and have the other point
|> to where mounted).  I suppose mounting with --bind at both is an option
|> as well.
|>
| I don't think there would be much difference between mounting a
| partition at /var/mail or /var/spool/mail.  There is a third option,
| mounting a partition at /var/spool.  Might be useful if you run a news
| server.

True.  But then, news might warrant it's own private partition.  I have
run those before.  RAID storage is helpful.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil
4/20/2005 1:59:13 PM
<phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:41:35 +0200 Davide Bianchi
> <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net> wrote:
> | On 2005-04-19, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net>
> wrote:
> |> working on this, the question in my mind is whether that partition
> should
> |> be mounted at /var/mail or at /var/spool/mail (and have the other point
> |
> | Well, this is more a matter of your preferences, I prefer to have it
> | under /var/spool/mail and have /var/mail as a symlink.
>
> I'm looking for any reasoning one way or the other.  Could you describe
> what you feel might be wrong if you had a system with the the opposite
> way from your preference?

If you run other tools that have lots of little files that need backup less
often, such as a news server or mailing list or even some databases,
/var/spool has been a historically consistent place to put them.

0
Nico
4/21/2005 11:54:08 AM
It isn't important which of /var/mail and /var/spool/mail is the
real directory and which is the symbolic link pointing to the other.
I recommend leaving it set up however your distribution does it in a
standard installation so package updates don't get confused.  If you
really want to optimize, however, you could survey the tools you use
that access the mail spool directly (/bin/mail, pine, IMAP server,
etc.) and make the most popular path the real directory.

                             :: Jeff Makey
                                jeff@sdsc.edu

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
0
jeff
4/21/2005 9:30:15 PM
On 21 Apr 2005 21:30:15 GMT Jeff Makey <jeff@sdsc.edu> wrote:

| It isn't important which of /var/mail and /var/spool/mail is the
| real directory and which is the symbolic link pointing to the other.
| I recommend leaving it set up however your distribution does it in a
| standard installation so package updates don't get confused.  If you
| really want to optimize, however, you could survey the tools you use
| that access the mail spool directly (/bin/mail, pine, IMAP server,
| etc.) and make the most popular path the real directory.

I'm changing the way the directories are set up and mounted.  It is a
bit more complicated to mount /var/spool/mail than it is to mount /var/mail.
because my init code would have to check to see how /var/spool is handled.
Mounting /var/mail would be easier.  Yet what I do see is that most apps
access /var/mail instead of /var/spool/mail, and /var/mail is a symlink as
Slackware installs it.

The way I am doing this is instead of one disk filesystem being the root,
the root will be either the original rootfs the kernel first mounts, or a
tmpfs mounted over it.  Then each filesystem will be mounted in a temporary
place.  Then each directory of those filesystems that is to be mounted will
be mounted with the --bind option to the intended mount point.  This will
result in a number of mount points going to the same filesystem.  For example
directories /bin /lib /opt /sbin and /usr will come from a r/o filesystem
where the system is installed.  Other mount points will come from other
filesystems.  Each of these filesystems will all be relative to / instead
of relative to their mount point (since there is more than one mount point).

The /dev directory will be populated from scanning for "dev" entries in
the sysfs filesystem at /sys.

The /etc directory will be populated by copying files from a designated
location instead of mounting it.  In the future this may be done from a
network source.  It may be a tmpfs filesystem to facilitate this.

Some others will be tmpfs.

Here is what my df output looks like so far:

tmpfs[root]               1024         0      1024   0% /
/dev/hda1               248944    162972     85972  66% /admin
/dev/hda3:bin          4075456   3712760    362696  92% /bin
/dev/hda1:boot          248944    162972     85972  66% /boot
/dev/hda5:dev           128440    103140     25300  81% /dev
devpts                       0         0         0   -  /dev/pts
tmpfs[shm]              193036         0    193036   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda5:etc           128440    103140     25300  81% /etc
/dev/hda4:home       113631392 110765312   2866080  98% /home
/dev/hda3:lib          4075456   3712760    362696  92% /lib
/dev/hda3:opt          4075456   3712760    362696  92% /opt
proc                         0         0         0   -  /proc
/dev/hda5:root          128440    103140     25300  81% /root
/dev/hda3:sbin         4075456   3712760    362696  92% /sbin
sysfs                        0         0         0   -  /sys
/dev/hda7:tmp           642536     38288    604248   6% /tmp
/dev/hda3:usr          4075456   3712760    362696  92% /usr
/dev/hda5:var           128440    103140     25300  81% /var
tmpfs[lock]             193036         0    193036   0% /var/lock
/dev/hda8:log           128440     47976     80464  38% /var/log
tmpfs[run]              193036        52    192984   1% /var/run
/dev/hda6:var/mail      128440     32840     95600  26% /var/mail
/dev/hda7:var/tmp       642536     38288    604248   6% /var/tmp
/dev/hda4:web        113631392 110765312   2866080  98% /web

This is how /proc/mounts shows it:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
root / tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /admin ext2 ro,noatime,nosuid 0 0
/dev/hda3 /bin ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 ro,noatime,nosuid 0 0
/dev/hda5 /dev reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda5 /etc reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda4 /home reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda3 /lib ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda3 /opt ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda5 /root reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda3 /sbin ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda7 /tmp reiserfs rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hda3 /usr ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda5 /var reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
lock /var/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda8 /var/log reiserfs rw,sync,noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
run /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda6 /var/mail reiserfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda7 /var/tmp reiserfs rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hda4 /web reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0

This is how /etc/mtab shows it:

tmpfs[root] / tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda1 /admin ext2 ro,noatime,nosuid 0 0
/dev/hda3:bin /bin ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda1:boot /boot ext2 ro,noatime,nosuid 0 0
/dev/hda5:dev /dev reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec 0 0
tmpfs[shm] /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda5:etc /etc reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda4:home /home reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda3:lib /lib ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda3:opt /opt ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda5:root /root reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda3:sbin /sbin ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda7:tmp /tmp reiserfs rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hda3:usr /usr ext2 ro,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda5:var /var reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
tmpfs[lock] /var/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda8:log /var/log reiserfs rw,sync,noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
tmpfs[run] /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda6:var/mail /var/mail reiserfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda7:var/tmp /var/tmp reiserfs rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hda4:web /web reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0
/home/local /usr/local bind rw,bind 0 0

The above is the version set up by running a preinit program as init.
Right now /etc isn't copied in this version, but it will be in the
early userspace version I am working on next.

This is all experimental.  But the idea is to reduce the number of
filesystems while still getting each mounted where it needs to be,
and still having the differences that make separate filesystems
essential.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil
4/21/2005 10:27:42 PM
In article <d499cu01su9@news4.newsguy.com>,  <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
>This is all experimental.  But the idea is to reduce the number of
>filesystems while still getting each mounted where it needs to be,
>and still having the differences that make separate filesystems
>essential.

Your approach creates a lot of complexity.  It seems to me that it
would be much simpler to do an ordinary mount of one file system of
each policy, and then sprinkle symbolic links as needed to make all of
the existing paths work.  Nevertheless, I encourage you to prove me
wrong by finding a brilliant new way of organizing the file system
hierarchy.  Good luck with your experimentation.

                             :: Jeff Makey
                                jeff@sdsc.edu

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
0
jeff
4/27/2005 1:45:35 AM
On 27 Apr 2005 01:45:35 GMT Jeff Makey <jeff@sdsc.edu> wrote:
| In article <d499cu01su9@news4.newsguy.com>,  <phil-news-nospam@ipal.net> wrote:
|>This is all experimental.  But the idea is to reduce the number of
|>filesystems while still getting each mounted where it needs to be,
|>and still having the differences that make separate filesystems
|>essential.
|
| Your approach creates a lot of complexity.  It seems to me that it
| would be much simpler to do an ordinary mount of one file system of
| each policy, and then sprinkle symbolic links as needed to make all of
| the existing paths work.  Nevertheless, I encourage you to prove me
| wrong by finding a brilliant new way of organizing the file system
| hierarchy.  Good luck with your experimentation.

I've done it that way before.  There were some problems that resulted from
the fact that these were symlinks.  When the bind-mount feature came along,
that created the solution.  So instead of a symlink, I use a bind mount.
If you count the symlink as 1 unit of complexity, and each bind mount as
1 unit of complexity, it comes out the same.  The development of the early
userspace handling in the kernel is also a usable feature.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil

MAIL=/var/spool/mail/root
for my user bart I do echo $HOME bart echo $MAIL /var/spool/mail/root and procmail deliver mail to root all the time how to change this? I tried add in bart/.bashrc MAIL=/var/spool/mail/bart export MAIL echo $MAIL shows correct value but procmail still deliver mail to root it has to take this variable from somewhere else I think system rh9 procmail 3.22 sendmail 8.12.9 Barti wrote: > echo $HOME > bart That looks incorrect; "echo $HOME" should return a full path. Have you instead pasted the output from "echo $USER"? > echo $MAIL shows correct value but pr...

editing the root mail file in /var/spool/mail
var/spool/mail I want to set up a cron job that would look at the various mail files and keep only 4 weeks worth. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on this ? Cheers visivd In article <544c86db.0404220733.22438688@posting.google.com>, visvid <simon@pro-tel.co.uk> wrote: >var/spool/mail I want to set up a cron job that would look at the >various mail files and keep only 4 weeks worth. > >Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on this ? A simple method, but it will leave you with 4 to 8 weeks' worth of mail at any time, not just 4 weeks. Still, it's si...

editing the root mail file in /var/spool/mail
var/spool/mail I want to set up a cron job that would look at the various mail files and keep only 4 weeks worth. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on this ? Cheers visivd In article <544c86db.0404220733.5860ec63@posting.google.com>, visvid <simon@pro-tel.co.uk> wrote: >var/spool/mail I want to set up a cron job that would look at the >various mail files and keep only 4 weeks worth. > >Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on this ? Use procmail to deliver mail to one of 28 or 29 directories. Then use cron to delete everything in the appropriate oldest of ...

why: 'You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root' ?
This annoying message seems to be associated with the times when <cr> won't run mc-selected executables. The error mesg. is in that case something about 'shell is already running'. Examining the file shows the mail as being from 'Mail Delivery subsystem - daemon'. Some looks like being potentially usefull for debugging purtposes. I've got [only dial up] on this FC1 box; so where's the mail being sent from ? Can/should I disable this stuff ? Does the file 'roll-over' or fill up to infinity ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. It's mail from y...

put mail into /home/user instead of /var/spool/mail
How do I make sendmail put mail into the user's home directory (so I can do quota management in the future) instead of /var/spool/mail? Thanks a ton! jason jason wrote: > How do I make sendmail put mail into the user's home directory (so I can > do quota management in the future) instead of /var/spool/mail? http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? Created: July 9, 1996 Last Update: January 7, 1999 -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl an...

linux/ext3 and /var/spool/mail (round 2)
This thread is a followup on my previous postings related to performance degradation after several months use of a linux/ext3 /var/spool/mail filesystem. We have a sharp sysadmin here who has dug deeper into the problem and has come up with the following analysis I'd like to share with everyone: ----- I found some interesting things about our problems that will eventually need to address. Apparently the concept of "block groups" is contributing to the problem. I found the program "debugfs" is able to give lots of information about a filesystem, including the block ...

Huge linux/ext3 fragmentation in /var/spool/mail using wu-imapd; seeking filesystem recommendation
We run linux/RH9/wu-imapd/2002e with UNIX mailbox-format mailboxes. For several months, our 4000 users have experienced great performance, but over the last three weeks, performance has degreated to the point of unusability. This morning we built a new filesystem for /var/spool/mail, copied over mailboxes, and performance improved dramatically. Before the rebuild, our 18GB of mailboxes took 60+ minutes cat to /dev/null; after building a new ext3 filesystem and copying mailboxes to it, the same cat of all mailboxes on the new filesystem to /dev/null took 6 minutes. We discovered that our orig...

mail looks in ~/newmail, not /var/mail/username
I have an NIS+ domain with a mixture of Solaris 9, 8, and 7 machines. The machines all share home directories and a /var/mail NFS mounted from a central server. I want all the accounts to read their mail in /var/mail/(username). For *some* accounts on the Solaris 9 machines, when I type 'mail' (/usr/ucb/mail), I get: No mail for newmail If I run the Elm mail reader, it attempts to read mail in ~/newmail ; pine seems to work fine. I would expect all the mail readers to look for mail in /var/mail/(username) - all the older versions of Solaris seem to do this as I want. I don&...

mails in var/spool/mqueue/
in my slackware 12 box, i can see many mails in var/spool/mqueue/ but when i send mail, i get message as below . Are my mail already sent? My linux box only failed to send out email since yesterday. Was OK before this. May i know where should I troubleshoot? Dec 4 00:24:50 host_node_name sm-mta[4448]: lB3GOnMR004448: from=<planning@host.com>, size=706, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<7957089.41196699090185.JavaMail.tomcat@host_node_name>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=host_node_name.host.com [192.168.1.123] Dec 4 00:24:50 host_node_name sm-mta[4448]: lB3GOnMS004448: from=<...

Moving /var/spool/mail
Hi, Please forgive my ignorance. I have a Linux production server that keeps running out of space on the /var partition. I wish to move /var/spool/mail to /home/mail. The box runs sendmail (8.11.6) and the majority of user mail is picked up via ipop3d (v2001.78rh) though occasionally pine is used by sysadmins. To help me with this I would be grateful if anyone could answer the following questions: (1) If I just link /var/spool/mail to it's new home would there be a major performance problem? The box is quite quick and has plenty of RAM. Are there other hazards to this? Presumably...

mbox and /var/spool/mail
Hi, I would like to have alpine read my /var/spool/mail I created the file ~/mbox and according to the manual alpine transfers /var/spool/mail/user to ~/mbox. However it seems that this is only the case if inbox-path is empty. The strange thing is that a mailfolder in one of my IMAP accounts is then used to read the mbox (the name of the mail folder is INBOX) When I change inbox-path to my INBOX folder on my imap account, i.e. inbox-path={IMAP-server}INBOX the transfer from /var/spool/mail/user to mbox is not done and {IMAP-server}INBOX is read correctly. Any possibility how I can d...

mail.local /var/mail/[username]: Permission denied
Hello all - I'm hoping someone can spot what should be an obvious error in the situation below. I've been looking at it too long and I'm sure I'm overlooking something. I am seeing errors in my outgoing mail server log as below. Some local users are unable to send mail due to reported permission errors. Apparently mail is not being allowed to my local domain(s). This server handles outbound mail only. Sendmail information Version 8.14.3 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELININ...

mail in /var
hello, How can I direct the new mail to my own user under /var ? currently all mail goes to root. (I have root access, so no permission problems). Thx. On 24 Jun 2006 08:31:45 -0700, a.abdulwahab@gmail.com wrote: > hello, > > How can I direct the new mail to my own user under /var ? currently all > mail goes to root. (I have root access, so no permission problems). Well, you can create an alias for your Mail Transport Agent (MTA) to use to send root's mail to who ever you like. Since my MTA is postfix, I modify the aliases file and run postalias to create database file us...

forwarding unread mail in /var/mail/<userid>
I've been converting users over from using linux mail accounts to Outlook by using /etc/aliases to redirect new linux mail to the new primary email destination. I've noticed however some old mail in / var/mail/<userid> has not been read and I was just trying to determine if there are any utilities to process a users's mbox and forward it to their new mail account. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Randy randyvp@gmail.com wrote: > I've been converting users over from using linux mail accounts to > Outlook by using /etc/aliases to redirect new linux mail to ...

/var/spool/mail/$USER -> inbox ???
Does mutt have a binding or command to _move_ mail from /var/spool/mail/$USER into MH style mail messages in the ~/Mail/inbox/ folder? If so, what is it? Thanks... -- PLEASE post a SUMMARY of the answer(s) to your question(s)! Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated. On 2008-11-18, Kevin the Drummer <nobody@cosgroves.us> wrote: > Does mutt have a binding or command to _move_ mail from > /var/spool/mail/$USER into MH style mail messages in the ~/Mail/inbox/ > fold...

Unwanted text in /var/spool/mail users
Hi, I am using sendmail . For all user files in /var/spool/mail there will be some standard text even after downloading all the mails using mail clients . I have given the text below (size of 552 bytes) >From MAILER-DAEMON Thu Nov 10 18:05:00 2005 Date: 10 Nov 2005 18:05:00 +0530 From: Mail System Internal Data <MAILER-DAEMON@mailserv.domain.com> Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA Message-ID: <1131626100@mailserv.domain.com> X-IMAP: 1129889720 0000000010 Status: RO This text is part of the internal format of your mail folder, and is not a rea...

move /var/spool/mail to /home/user
I have set up sendmail, imap and quota in a FC3 server. The problem is the user's inboxes are not counted in the quota, as the quota is set for /home. How can the /var/spool/mail files be redirected to the users home directory for correct quota calculation? -- P�l Monstad "Pål Monstad" <pal.monstad@pm-data.no> writes: > I have set up sendmail, imap and quota in a FC3 server. The problem is > the user's inboxes are not counted in the quota, as the quota is set > for /home. > How can the /var/spool/mail files be redirected to the users home >...

cannot fopen and lock /var/spool/mail/(user)
Hello again everybody. I've read the faq, tried the solution, but still cannot get "inc" to work from a machine that has the /var/mail and other directories NFS mounted. Here's the faq... http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/mh-faq/part1/section-37.html The mail server (and NFS server) is running fedora core 4 and NFS v 1.0.7-13... The client machine is running ubuntu 6.10. This used to work, before I upgrade the client machine to 6.10, from 6.06. Thanks for the help! Jim jimvman@gmail.com writes: > I've read the faq, tried the solution, but still cannot get "...

Maildir/ in /var/spool/mail/$user? (postfix)
hi all. I am trying to get postfix to deliver to a Maildir. I have this working on my Mandrake box (local delivery), but this RedHat9 box (stand alone, separate email server) is puzzling me. I have "home_mailbox" set to "/var/spool/mail/$user/Maildir/" I created the following directories under /var/spool/mail/john/: Maildir/cur Maildir/tmp Maildir/new They are all owned by john:john. Other users are setup in a similar fashion. The log file (/var/log/maillog) shows mail delivered to john@localhost.gamehendge.com, and it says "sent (maildir)". So, if everythin...

Huge /var/spool/mqueue and /var/spool/MIMEDefang
On my filter server, I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1, SendMail 8.13.1, MIMEDefang 2.38, ClamAV 0.65, SpamAssassin 2.60 for some reason, /var/spool/mqueue and /var/spool/MIMEDefang directory is huge with 18000 files and subdirectories. Is this normal? song@isot.com wrote: > FreeBSD 5.2.1, SendMail 8.13.1, MIMEDefang 2.38, ClamAV 0.65, > SpamAssassin > 2.60 You are running ANCIENT versions of MIMEDefang, ClamAV and SpamAssassin. Upgrade! > for some reason, /var/spool/mqueue and /var/spool/MIMEDefang directory is > huge with 18000 files and subdirectories. Is this n...

move /var/spool/mail/* with virts to another host
Hi, I am soon to take over some users from a closing VISP, they have their own single domain of users in /var/spool/mail as normal, now most of those users exists on my current system, so a copy is just not going to happen, we hope to not have much mail there after the DNS cut over, but all the existing mail there needs to be moved here, I recall a couple of years ago a script (perl i think) that would do what I need, that is process all the users mbox's in the spool dir and redeliver it, of course back to its original recipient but by then that domain is on our machines up here. I&#...

Process particular mail queued in /var/spool/mqueue
Hi, Is there a way to run sendmail manually to process particular mails stuck in /var/spool/mqueue? Running "sendmail -q -v" sometimes just takes too long to reach certain mails in /var/spool/mqueue due to time out on non deliverable mails ahead in the queue. Simon Simon Gao wrote: > Is there a way to run sendmail manually to process particular mails > stuck in /var/spool/mqueue? Yes. Process messages destined for domains containing "example.com": sendmail -v -qRexample.com Process messages whose queue-id contains 12345: sendmail -v -qI12...

piece together mail trapped in /var/spool/mqueue
I'm in the process if of a new install from scratch on a gentoo linux box using sendmail-8.13.4 I've got a pile of incoming mail trapped in /var/spool/mqueue in those qf/df parts. Some 2133 in all. While I'm debugging this mess I've made how can I piece together this mail so that it can be scanned by eye? That is, so that headers appear normal and body is positioned as in normal processed mail. Is there some builtin way using sendmail that won't attempt to finish processing this mail? When that happens I get piles of errors that look somewhat menacing: It actually l...

Procmail, permission problems on /var/spool/mail/localdomain directory.
I'm having trouble putting the last piece in the jigsaw, and the piece is procmail shaped. I'm setting up the following. ISP Mail Server --> fetchmail --> procmail --> postfix --> vm-pop3d --> workstation email clients. The postfix/vm-pop3d end is already configured, using a browser based GUI called tequila http://www.holgilein.de/coolprox/tequila/tequila_en.html. The postfix queue directory is /var/spool/mail/localdomain and this is where I'd like my fetchmail/procmail combination to put the mail after they've finished with it. Seems simple enough...

Web resources about - /var/mail -vs- /var/spool/mail - comp.os.linux.setup

Spool knitting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spool knitting, corking, French knitting or tomboy knitting is a form of knitting that uses a spool and a number of nails to produce a narrow ...

Facebook’s Latest ‘Acqu-Hire’ Is Mobile Content-Caching Service Spool
The latest “ acqu-hire ” by Facebook is mobile content-caching startup Spool , which announced over the weekend that it was shuttering operations ...

Facebook hires team behind mobile bookmarking service Spool
Facebook has hired the small team behind Spool , a social bookmarking service that makes web content available for offline viewing on mobile ...

Jared Spool (@jmspool) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Jared Spool @ jmspool 42.635976,-71.164046 ...

Apple Stoer: A Jared Spool Slide
Explore Jeffrey's photos on Flickr. Jeffrey has uploaded 25027 photos to Flickr.

Spool Tuning - YouTube
... the EcoBoost family of engines from Ford have proven to be wildly popular with customers, not just because of their exceptional p... At Spool ...

Cinema's craftsmen losing the spools of their trade
Cinema's craftsmen losing the spools of their trade

3Dom USA Announces the Eco-Spool – Environmentally Friendly 3D Printing Filament Spools
As more and more people begin purchasing and using desktop 3D printers, the more filament is being consumed. While, much of this filament, specifically ...

Facebook Picks Up Spool Team and Shuts Bookmarking Service Down
Spool, a mobile social bookmarking company, has been “acqhired” by Facebook. The company informed users this morning that it would be shutting ...

Novitec Rosso spools Ferrari SA Aperta up past 800 horsepower
Whether Ferrari ends up building the rumored Fernando Alonso edition or not, the SA Aperta will stand as one of the most exclusive iterations ...