Anyone using rsnapshot with external USB drive? Or SDLT 800 tape drives on CentOS 5?

I'm looking at an rsnapshot backup situation, and rather than buying a
big chunk of high-speed, expensive, server class storage, I'm
wondering about simply using external USB's and buying several. It's
clearly technically feasible: I've been doing so for months, for FTP
mirror material.

Has anyone done it in a vaguely high performance configuration?
Updating about 200 GB of new database material daily, and backing it
up to tape? How is the transfer speed on a modest, 2 GHz, 1 GB of RAM
server with normal USB 2.0 and a normal tape drive, such as an SDLT
800?

In fact, if anyone has typical performance specs with plain old tar,
or Amanda, for SDLT 800's, I'd very much appreciate that information
as well.

              Nico Kadel-Garcia
0
Nico
8/5/2008 4:37:48 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Using external USB drives with Linux
I am currently running Fedora Core 3 and want to upgrade to FC 6. I am contenplating getting an external USB (or firewire) drive for backup during the upgrade (and for general backup use). I understand that some external drives come formatted NTFS, but I can deal with that. I would reformat it, probably as vfat, so I could also use it for backup under Windows. As long as my system recognizes the sdisk as a mass storage device, I know what to do. Are there any other potential problems. Are some drives recognizable only by Windows? I am considering an Iomega drive. Any comments ab...

HP storageworks DAT72 USB external tape drive on centos 4.2 #4
hi, i've bought at HP storageworks DAT72 USB external tape drive and i'm trying to make it work under centos 4.2 first the hard facts: os - centos 4.2 kernel 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL MB - MSI 8kn diamond 4gb ram the problem is that i don't see the drive. i'd expected that a device called st0 would appear but it's not the case. watching the messages file when unplugging the device and the replugging it is: Jan 27 13:47:36 miraculix kernel: usb 1-8: new high speed USB device using address 6 Jan 27 13:47:41 miraculix kernel: usb 1-8: control timeout on ep0in Jan 27 13:47:42 mir...

How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive
Hi all, I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive. Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin, root.bin....etc. My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk, it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the installation program didn't recognize my USB floppy disk drive because it didn't load the disk then just return the fail message said that can't mount the root FS. So, how can I do to let the installation program recognize my USB floppy disk drive? And one more question does the Debian Setup Program support PCMCIA CD-ROM drive to complete installation regularly? Regards, Alvin Lau ...

Anyone used paragon drive backup 5.5 with SCO partitions?
I was curious if anyone successfully used Paragon drive backup version 5.5 to copy and restore a SCO partition. It is a drive imaging product similar to norton ghost. They claim it can make a restorable image of any type of partition because it can do a sector to sector copy. It has work well for various windows and linux partitions but not successful for a SCO partition. Paragon recognizes it as a Unix partition and doesn't give any errors when backing it up but when I attempt to boot from a cloned image I get a "NO OS" message when it boots. Thanks, Jay Jay "Anonymous" wrote: > I was curious if anyone successfully used Paragon drive backup version > 5.5 to copy and restore a SCO partition. It is a drive imaging product > similar to norton ghost. They claim it can make a restorable image of > any type of partition because it can do a sector to sector copy. It has > work well for various windows and linux partitions but not successful > for a SCO partition. Paragon recognizes it as a Unix partition and > doesn't give any errors when backing it up but when I attempt to boot > from a cloned image I get a "NO OS" message when it boots. This is due to OpenServer's dependency on the (mostly obsolete) concept of disk geometry. If you write the partition image to a new disk which has the same geometry as the old (according to OpenServer, mind you) (has to be same heads and sectors/track, total cyli...

3/Three usability issues in Mac OS X 10.8.5: Re(storing/covering) huge files from its Trash bin, renamed Time Machine's disk drive, and bring back Finder's sidebar external USB HDD icons?
Hi again. I just ran into a weird/an odd usability issue that bugged me in an updated Mac OS X 10.8.5 earlier: I tossed a huge 4.5 GB folder into Mac OS X 10.8.5's Trash bin. I decided to restore it back to the same exact place by dragging the folder back to the same place in Finder. However, it did a copy. Shouldn't it be a move? Isn't there a restore to the back place option? 2. I renamed an external HDD's name that was used for Time Machine (TM) back up. When I went to back up, it told me it couldn't. So, I looked at TM settings. I noticed it was looking for the old name even though it was the same exact disk. I told it to reuse the renamed disk to resume. Why is it that picky on my renamed disk drive? 3. Also, how do I get back Finder's sidebar icon for mounted external USB HDD? I accidently removed it. Unmounting and remounting doesn't make it come back. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Don't step on ants... they're people too." --a quote from ANTZ movie. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <07edndf9S_Q_FszPnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>...

Using multiple USB flash drives as a RAID drive?
Hello. Has anyone done this before? Is it fast and reliable? Just wondering since I have a bunch of old USB flash drives (256 MB to 1 GB). Thank you in advance. :) -- "We ants are runnin' the show! We're the lords of the earth!" --ANTZ /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently no...

Booting Linux from an external USB drive
Hi All, I thought I'd gently ease myself into the world of Linux by installing it on an external disk (an old 60GB Toshiba notebook drive), so that I can "dual boot" by plugging the drive into the USB port or unplugging it (in which case, I boot Windows as usual) as required. To this effect I installed Ubuntu 6.06 (with kernel 2.6.15-27) on the drive. This worked.... but I'm now having problems booting up from the drive, it only seems to work very intermittently, at other times I get messages like: usb 2-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2 sd 8:0:0:...

usb external drives not reliable for linux?
Hi, I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system. I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this message: ls: reading directory .: Input/output error If I cd away and back again, my directory is back. Is that implicit in usb or the drive? Can a disk be made to not do that? I have it mounted in sync mode. cts Charles T. Smith wrote: > I bought an external usb drive for external storage for my linux system. > I discover that after a while (15 minutes?) of inactivity, I get this > message: > > ...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the > problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a > Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to > an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no > drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is > NTFS, and has two partitions). > > How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? > > Thanks aribloch: These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment have been a source of continuing irritation (not to say aggravation) to many of us. For what it's worth we've put together a kind of checklist for troubleshooting this kind of problem which I've listed below. But before getting to them you might want to try the following... I'm assuming your reference ...

setup external scsi tape drive
I am completely new to linux, have some SCO background. We 'inherited' 2 years old Dell box running under RedHat 7.3 with external HP SureStore 24DAT drive. I know tape has been used successfully. I need to do a backup and I don't know how to address the drive. I am trying to reach the drive: [root@ford /]# mt -f /dev/st0 status /dev/st0: No such device [root@ford /]# mt -f /dev/sg0 status /dev/sg0: Operation not permitted [root@ford /]# mt -f /dev/tape status /dev/tape: No such device [root@ford /]# tar tvf /dev/st0 tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device tar: Error is n...

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

Help needed:Turning internal IDE drive into external USB drive
Hi guys, I need a little advice please. (Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.) I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I had to buy the damn thing.) I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little reading revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB external drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure. So I ask,can I convert the following: S...

iTunes 7: use of external firewire drive in conjunction with internal drive?
I'm somewhat late to the iPod/iTunes craze, but have had my G4 taking care of the kids' music collections and iPods for a few years. The release of the new 80G iPod has intrigued me. Before I dive in, I'd like to have all of *my* music put onto a large external drive I use in a firewire box with removable trays. The way I look at it, I could keep all of my stuff there and even back it up on another tray drive. When I want to update my own Pod, I would simply tell iTunes to use the other drive instead of the internal, so I'd always be updating my own stuff. I wouldn't have t...

Seagate Pocket Drive 5.0 G USB drive problems
I am trying to get this drive working under OS/2 with the latest USB drivers and the latest FAT32 drivers. I can work on the driver with DFSee fine, but OS/2 appears not to see it properly. DFSee reports it as a FAT32 drive and checks it fine. OS/2 places a drive in the Drives folder for it, but the details page reports everything about it as unknown or non-existant. Once I got a driver loaded for it the drive works fine in Windows 98 on the same system. Here is what the USB Resource Manager says: <<< Device Description >>> Type : 01 USB Rev ...

can i use external hard drive on linux?
Hi: I have an external hard drive. Usually I just plug it into my Microsoft Win= dows 7 computer and it automatically becomes the drive H:\. Then I copy som= e files to the external hard drive. Now I have two Linux Ubuntu computers. I wish to transfer some large files = from one Linux computer to another. (I don't have a large usb flash drive).= So I hope to use the external hard drive as usb flash drive. I am wonderin= g if I can plug it into the Linux computer. I have to mount it, I guess. Thank you. On 12 Aug 2014 in comp.os.linux.misc, newbie2 wrote: > I have an ...

setup problem using usb floppy drive
Hi, everyone I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which has no bootable cd-rom drive. So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive. When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following messages in setup procedures: . . . . Floppy drive(s) : fd0 is unknown type 12 (usb?), fd1 is 2.88M AMI BIOS floppy0 : no floppy controlllers found Cannot load floppy module Giving up! /init: 44: sleep : not found Kernel panic - not syncing: ...

question about USB external flash drive in linux
hi, I plug my 128MB flash key into RedHat 8 kernel 2.4.20 lsmod output: Module Size Used by Not tainted usb-storage 75200 0 scsi_mod 110936 1 [usb-storage] ide-cd 35808 0 (autoclean) cdrom 34176 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd] autofs 13684 0 (autoclean) (unused) iptable_filter 2412 0 (autoclean) (unused) ip_tables 15864 1 [iptable_filter] tulip 44544 1 keybdev 2976 0 (unused) mousedev 5688 1 hid 22404 0 (unused) input 6208 0 [keybdev mousedev hid] usb-uhci 27468 0 (unused) usbcore 82816 1 [usb-storage hid usb-uhci] ext3 73376 5 jbd 56336 5 [ext3] from /var/log/messages Sep 17 13:20:47 pn1124 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:04.2-1, assigned address 2 Sep 17 13:20:47 pn1124 kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x9a6/0x8001) is not claimed by any active driver. Sep 17 13:20:51 pn1124 /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for USB product 9a6/8001/100 Sep 17 13:20:51 pn1124 kernel: SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00 Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver... Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage Sep 17 13:20:52 pn1124 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage ...

re-use WD external USB drive?
I have a WD 80GB external USB hard drive. I believe it contains a 3.5" IDE hard drive. I was wondering if I could take it apart and easily replace the internal hard drive with another internal hard drive. I think the basic issue is whether the housing has the standard IDE data connector and power cable, or do they direct solder those on, so that it is not really replaceable? Previously Bucky <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote: > I have a WD 80GB external USB hard drive. I believe it contains a 3.5" > IDE hard drive. I was wondering if I could take it apart and easily...

Maxtor External USB 2.0 Drive 3000LE & Large Drives
I also have the USB2 Maxtor 3000LE external. My Windows XP machine can handle 300 gig drives... but when I try to put 1 in the 3000LE case... it only sees 137gig. Did you have to do anything special to get yours to work? Where did you see that chipset... and part #? I don't see anything that says "Cypress" on the board inside mine. Thanks. Original msg..... Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:43:15 -0500 Organization: MindSpring Enterprises Lines: 47 Message-ID: <912f5vssad7q158b98h0l7a64vll2ki58r@4ax.com> NNTP-Posting-Host: 42.a7.27.2f Mime-Version: 1...

mounting a USB drive (Re: mount usb drive)
i've described how i do this using an encrypted USB keydevice here: http://monkey.org/~jose/blog//viewpage.php?page=usb_confidential basically on my thinkpad it showed up as /dev/sd1i and as an MSDOS filesystem (normal USB key from a PC manufacturer). hope this helps, jose nazario, ph.d. co-author, "Secure Architectures with OpenBSD" ...

Two drives: OS on Drive 1, Progs on Drive 2, My Docs on which?
Hi I'm considering my partition options to give the best performance. I already have a single Western Digital Raptor WD1500 ADFD. I have my OS (XP Pro), applications and documents in separate partitions so obviously the drive head is having to spend a lot of time moving between them. I wondered what improvement might be gained if I bought a second WD1500 and changed where I store things. So would it be better to have the OS and apps in separate partitions on Drive 1 and My Docs on Drive 2? Or OS on 1, apps on 2, My Docs on which? Is there another arrangement you woul...

Jump Drive/external drive
novice question, My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote > novice question, > My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would > I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB. No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something, but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system, its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive. ...

Web resources about - Anyone using rsnapshot with external USB drive? Or SDLT 800 tape drives on CentOS 5? - comp.os.linux.setup

rsnapshot
rsnapshot is a filesystem snapshot utility for making backups of local and remote systems. Using rsync and hard links, it is possible to keep ...

Software Vs Hardware RAID
Software Vs Hardware RAID - which one is better software raid or hardware raid for Windows / Linux / BSD / UNIX server to protect data in a long ...

Backup Central News & Resources
Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system

bitflop.com
Bitflop.com is the personal website of Kim N. Lesmer

Analyzing logs with Pig and Elastic MapReduce
... by Jordan Sissel Day 10: " Analyzing logs with Pig and Elastic MapReduce " by yours truly Day 11: " Simple disk-based server backups with rsnapshot ...

DigitalOcean Community Article Suggestions and Ideas
... MySQL Nagios Nginx OpenVPN Packer* Passenger Percona* phpBB Piwik Postfix MTA PostgreSQL* Pyramid Riak* Redis Redmine Rsnapshot ...

zfs
- Gist is a simple way to share snippets of text and code with others.

Backup - At his cozy home, sys admin Charly has always used rsnapshot to back up his data. Although things will be staying this way for server ...

Backup & Recovery - O'Reilly Media
Packed with practical, freely available backup and recovery solutions for Unix, Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X systems as well as various databases ...

'rsync' Top Users - Server Fault
current community chat blog Server Fault Meta Server Fault Stack Overflow Careers your communities Sign up or log in to customize your list. ...