Configuring display problems..

I am a beginner to Linux and after searching and trying for a long long
time finally decided to come to the forums for help.
I installed Linux by making partition to have a dual OS Windows XP and
Red Hat Fedora 4 and everything was well and fine. I logged in to Linux
and played around and changed the display setting since the display was
too big and the display selected was "Generic". I changed it to 15inch
with 1024 x 768 and restarted the machine. It showed the initial
messages and I was waiting for the login screen and the login screen
never came. I powered off and restarted and nope.. I feel that I did
not choose the proper display settings. So now what should I do. I can
re-install but I do not want to do that. Is there a easier way to go to
the configuration file.
I have a hp dv6113US notebook with 15inch display. Any help is greatly
appreciated and awaited.

0
sachin
1/3/2007 5:10:59 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

sachin.readytohelp@gmail.com wrote:

> I am a beginner to Linux and after searching and trying for a long long
> time finally decided to come to the forums for help.
> I installed Linux by making partition to have a dual OS Windows XP and
> Red Hat Fedora 4 and everything was well and fine. I logged in to Linux
> and played around and changed the display setting since the display was
> too big and the display selected was "Generic". I changed it to 15inch
> with 1024 x 768 and restarted the machine. It showed the initial
> messages and I was waiting for the login screen and the login screen
> never came. I powered off and restarted and nope.. I feel that I did
> not choose the proper display settings. So now what should I do. I can
> re-install but I do not want to do that. Is there a easier way to go to
> the configuration file.
> I have a hp dv6113US notebook with 15inch display. Any help is greatly
> appreciated and awaited.

First nothing is/was wrong with the generic setting, second you have a
notebook with an LCD and not a generic CRT Monitor. As root try the
following when booted into runlevel3 (see below);

system-config-display --reconfig --set-depth=16 --set-resolution=1024x768

When the grub splash screen is displayed press the 'Esc' key. Select the
Linux boot choice and press the 'e' key. Select the kernel line and press
the 'e' key again, sample line;

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2747.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet

At the end of the line add a space followed by the number 3, sample line;

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2747.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet 3

When done press the 'Enter' key followed by the 'b' key and log on as root
when prompted.

You may want to visit the nVidia web site and download the closed source
graphics driver also afterwards;

Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.
0
Lenard
1/3/2007 6:32:37 PM
I had to start Linux at Level 3 which is the text version. To start at
level 3:
	- At the boot prompt I pressed A it showed something like this:
		ro root=LABEL=/l quiet
		I added 3 in front of it and it started the boot. I entered the root
userid and password
Then I gave the following for my laptop:
system-config-display --reconfig --set-depth=16
--set-resolution=1024x768
 and then exited.

I then restarted. It went into graphical mode and restarted. I booted
and went to System->Display and change the display settings. For my
laptop I gave LCD-

1024x768

Again restarted. It worked

Thanx for your help

On Jan 3, 10:32 am, Lenard <len...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> sachin.readytoh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am a beginner to Linux and after searching and trying for a long long
> > time finally decided to come to the forums for help.
> > I installed Linux by making partition to have a dual OS Windows XP and
> > Red Hat Fedora 4 and everything was well and fine. I logged in to Linux
> > and played around and changed the display setting since the display was
> > too big and the display selected was "Generic". I changed it to 15inch
> > with 1024 x 768 and restarted the machine. It showed the initial
> > messages and I was waiting for the login screen and the login screen
> > never came. I powered off and restarted and nope.. I feel that I did
> > not choose the proper display settings. So now what should I do. I can
> > re-install but I do not want to do that. Is there a easier way to go to
> > the configuration file.
> > I have a hp dv6113US notebook with 15inch display. Any help is greatly
> > appreciated and awaited.First nothing is/was wrong with the generic setting, second you have a
> notebook with an LCD and not a generic CRT Monitor. As root try the
> following when booted into runlevel3 (see below);
>
> system-config-display --reconfig --set-depth=16 --set-resolution=1024x768
>
> When the grub splash screen is displayed press the 'Esc' key. Select the
> Linux boot choice and press the 'e' key. Select the kernel line and press
> the 'e' key again, sample line;
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2747.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet
>
> At the end of the line add a space followed by the number 3, sample line;
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2747.el5 ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet 3
>
> When done press the 'Enter' key followed by the 'b' key and log on as root
> when prompted.
>
> You may want to visit the nVidia web site and download the closed source
> graphics driver also afterwards;
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
>
> --
> Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
> This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
> from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

0
sachin

very strange display problem with PC Linux OS!!!!!!
I just bought a new computer, custom built. Had it set up with dual boot PC Linux/Windows. Default boot is Linux. When I boot to Linux, everything looks great and I see the splash screen and the progress bar telling me it's loading. But, after it's loaded, and I'm waiting for the login prompt, my display goes blank, and stays blank (black.) On my LCD, I get a message box moving around that says "frequency out of range." It was running at 60hz so I set it to 75hz...same problem. Hooked up an old NEC CRT monitor, screen still goes black, but no message is displayed....

Linux display problem...
For some mysterious reason, I can't login my Linux with X11 environment any more. The display only shows the text based version. The following is the error message I got. Anyone has any idea? Thanks. _FontTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed _FontTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running Aborted (core dumped) hubert@~:xinit XFree86 Version 3.3.5 / X Window System (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300) Release Date: August 23 1999 If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your ca rd is newer than the above da...

./configure problem (linux)
Trying to compile MyODBC on my RH 9 system. Running ./configure with directions given to mysql/lib, mysql/include, mysql/src I get the following error: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c -lmysqlclient -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lz 1>&5 /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_malloc.o)(.text+0x28): In function `my_malloc': : undefined reference to `errno' /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_realloc.o)(.text+0x65): In function `my_realloc': : undefined reference to `errno' /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_lib.o)(.text+0x2e1): In function `my_dir': : und...

Linux setup problem.
Hi. I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but I can't seem to get the video card to work. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 on an EMC monitor, and Linux installer can't detect a suitable mode for the display. Everything works just fine on my Win XP OS. The Linux installer runs XFree86 v4.3, and I think this one is most up to date. Any suggestions will be much appreciated? Thank you. Ilian scribbled: > Hi. > I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but > I can't seem to get the video card to work. > I have an...

Linux Colour Display problems
Hello All, I am running IDL 5.5 on Debian Linux system (Kernel 2.4.22-1-686) and when I have a display window, moving the mouse over the IDL display window makes the entire screen change colours. These are the first few lines of the programme which call the colour table: device, decomposed = 0, retain = 2 loadct, 13 ... tvscl,array IDL> device,get_visual_depth=a IDL> print,a 24 Thanks, KB. We had the same problem with 5.5 on linux. Try using truecolor instead of directcolor visuals: device,true_color=24 It solved the problem for us... Cheers, Paolo "...

Font display problem on Linux
Howdy! I have developed a jbuilder application on a Windows 2000 platform and it works and displays fine. I created a jar file and copied it to my Linux system, and when I run the application, it works fine, but it doesn't display properly. The fonts are too large and many of the labels are truncated. I have tried a variety of things, but no matter what I do, the displayed fonts don't change. Here is what is in my main: try { UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName()); } catch(Exception e) { e.printStackTrace(); } Here a...

Linux, ISE 7.1, problems, problems, problems ....
ok, ok we've beaten this subject to death already .... I just had this really radical and crazy idea: XILINX, how about a BETA program ? I mean one before you burn the CDs and make a product announcement and we are stuck with a useless plastic disc. If I look at all the issues that people are having with 7.1, they are all so trivial and easy to to solve (include a few libs, distribute a statically linked setup program, etc.). I'm sure a few of us with subscription would volunteer to test drive a pre-release version of your s/w. - I know I would. Wouldn't that be much nicer t...

problems in linux install and hardware configuration
I have installed Red Hat Linux 4.0 Enterprise AS Problems: It is unable to detect any devices or hardwares even after installin latest driver and bios upgrades from intel. it has not detected devices like onboard nic , sound card, graphics , and even my second hard drive My system configuration Intel chipset 945g intel D945gnt desktop board.(not all on board controllers like nic , sound etc.. detected) 512mb ddr2 ram 80 gb sata hard drive(not detected). mouse , key brd(detected) and two ide drive 1:cd drive(detected) 2: ATA hard drive (linux installed on it).(detecte...

Configuration Problem on Mac OS X
Hello, Just recently started learning Ruby... currently, I'm having a problem with the configuration file of a Ruby extension I'm trying to install. Specifically, it's Ruby ncurses. When I try to run extconf.rb from the package, I get the following messages: checking for unistd.h... yes checking for ncurses.h... yes checking for wmove() in -lncurses... no checking for wmove() in -lpdcurses... no extconf.rb:44: ncurses library not found (RuntimeError) Running gcc manually, it can find the ncurses library, so that isn't the problem. After some looking-up, poking-around, and ...

configure problem with scilab5 (linux x86_64)
here is the relevant part of the output of configure, with the options --with-tk-library=/usr/lib64 and --with-tcl-library=/usr/lib64. There is no difference without them. ************************************************************************************ checking for header file tcl.h... found in /usr/include checking if tcl is version 8.4 or later... (8.4) yes checking for tcl library tcl8.4... found /usr/lib64/libtcl8.4.so using -L/usr/lib64 -ltcl8.4 checking for Tcl_DoOneEvent in -ltcl8.4... yes checking for header file tk.h... found in /usr/include checking if tk is version ...

Problem In Displaying Umlaut Characters In Linux
Hi All, Im using java,mysql,xml and xsl for one of my project Java version 1.4.2 and Mysql 4.1.18 when i store or retrive data into/from mysql using xml/xsl/html/java on windows platform everything is working fine. I can store and retrive umlauts and special characters. But the same code is not working on linux. The version of linux im using is Suse 9 i have used folowing code for xsl <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:output method="ht...

OS-9 ISP setup problems
Hello, At work I am trying to install OS-9 3.0.3 and ISP 2.1 on a Motorola MVME 162 CPU. I am experiencing difficulties in getting the network up and running in a diskless environment. I can boot OS-9 from network but if I try to use networking commands from inside the booted OS-9 via terminal I am having problems. For example: mbinstall gives an error 237 when trying to install sysmbuf. iestat displays a few lines of results but when it tries to make a getstat to the driver's static storage area it ends in an error 246 (no such device). After ispstart <>>>/nil tel...

HDD setup problem (hardware or Linux ?)
Hello everyone, Sorry for the almost newbie question but i really had to ask rather than (maybe) doing a stupid thing. I've just bought an (P)ATA 160GB from Hitachi. Just upside of the jumpers is displayed the different configurations. Among them only the 15 and 16 heads versions are shown. On the top of the drive there is the convention for ATA larger than 8.4GB which states 16383/16/63 for the CHS. When i plug it in my motherboard (A7V8X-X) it works with "AUTO", unfortunatly it doesn't gives me the geometry of the drive. When i do a fdisk or a cfdisk they give me 20023...

ntp on linux (RH9) configuration problem
Hi, I'm configuring ntp (ntp-4.1.2-0.rc1.2) on my Linux box. If in my ntp.conf file I leave uncommented the line stating: restrict default ignore which is the installation default, ntp doesn't synchronize with peer servers. (From ntp -d it seems it doesn't receive replies from peer servers) If I comment out this line everything works fine. How different ntp behaves when the line is commented? Is this a security risk? what are the best setting for restrict default entry for a box that has the only purpouse of sync with external server and distribute time on local network? I'...

Problem In Displaying Umlaut Characters In Linux
Hi All, Im using java,mysql,xml and xsl for one of my project Java version 1.4.2 and Mysql 4.1.18 when i store or retrive data into/from mysql using xml/xsl/html/java on windows platform everything is working fine. I can store and retrive umlauts and special characters. But the same code is not working on linux. The version of linux im using is Suse 9 i have used folowing code for xsl <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:output method=&...

I have a problem displaying a GIF image in windows BUT not in linux!!!
All the images I am displaying are GIF. Some of the images appear distorted and cropped when displayed. However, others are displayed perfectely. All the images appear normal in linux. Perhaps it's a problem with a driver? Here is the code I use with the frame widget ($FileList[$i] is an array of gif names): $frame=$ChapterFrame->Frame(-relief=>'groove',-borderwidth=>2)->pack; $img = $frame->Photo(-file=> $FileList[$i]); $frame->Label(-image => $img)->pack; On 10 Feb 2005 21:43:21 -0800, "PhoneJack" <martoa@alum.rpi.edu> wr...

Problem configuring monta vista linux kernel
Hello friends, I am working on a project which has the short term goal of porting Monta Vista Embedded Linux on a Intel PXA board (having ARM core). I am facing the problem at the initial stage itself. I have installed the Monta vista Linux on Windows platform. When i try to do make oldconfig (as per the kernel build guide) it shows the warning /bin/sh: line 1: xscale_le-gcc: command not found. Although make oldconfig is successful. After that i try to do make dep which gives me following error 720922@infva02366 /mykernel $ make dep /bin/sh: line 1: xscale_le-gcc: command not fo...

RH Linux:: Need to configure LCD display
I recently purchased the Envision H22 22 inch Widescreen LCD display (http://www.envisiondisplay.com/products.asp? EPage=products&SMenu=h22w). As per the manual I should set the resolution to 1680x1050. Unfortunately on my system (RH 9, kernel 2.4.20-8), Unfortunately I am not seeing this as a standard option in my display settings. Currently my display is horrible. Before I return the beast, I would like to try it out with the recommended display settings. Can someone kindly suggest a way out. Thanks, NS ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.] On 2007-12-10, Ni...

Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k
Hi I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K computer in order to learn better about Linux. My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the screen. I have tried accessing my server using the following methods: 1. Cygwin environment using SSH 2. telnet from cmd.exe If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the following after NAME: bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell If I conect to my headless server using...

laptop display problems with Linux live CD
I have tried many different live CDs for my laptop, but nearly all of them produce a blank screen just as it switches to the desktop. One day, as I was trying a live CD, I had the laptop plugged into my TV via the monitor out plug and low and behold the TV was displaying the desktop! (That was Knoppix) I have tried to use the Fn key to switch where the display is being directed (LCD or monitor out), but this doesn't work. I have tried to deactivate the external monitor via the bios, but this doesn't seem to be an option. Simply MEPIS is the only live CD that I have got...

RedHat Linux - ssh
I have installed RHEL 3 on a Compaq Server with 4 CPUs and 4GB RAM. My problem is that commands like tar and unzip take forever. After a log of troubleshooting I found out that the problem is with ssh and not with tar or unzip. It seems as if the screen takes forever to dislpay the contents being pushed out by the server. When I perform a "ls -ltRa /" it goes on forever. To ensure I am on the right track I installed a telnet server and retried the above commands - they completed in record time !! Has anyone come across this problem and knows of a solution. PS : I am using WinPut...

DISPLAY vble: problem in Debian linux X
Hi, ALL! I run a 5 computer, Ethernet-connect, network at home -- Intel hardware -- running the latest stable Debian Linux release (woody). Now, for X-windows, running, e. g., DISPLAY=<IP address of computer X on the network>:0.0 xlogo& DISPLAY=<IP address of computer X on the network>:0.0 xlogo& should -- assuming, e.g., that you're xhost commands are right, etc -- run xlogo on the local machine, with the window coming up on Computer X. Doesn't work. E.g., even on the LOCAL machine, running DISPLAY=<IP address of local machine>:0.0 xlogo& -- or ...

Geforce4 linux setup problem, help needed
Audience: Me, a Linux newby. 10yrs under M$ from dos to xp(ugh) Specs: AMD 2700XP 1 gig PC2700 RAM Epox EP-8RDA + w/ Nforce2 chipset Adaptec 29160n controller 17gig Maxtor SCSI hd. Sound blaster Live Platinum Nvidia Geforce 4 w/256meg on board. MAG Innovision 19" monitor I am attempting to install Redhat Linux 9 Shrike ISO's. After using the default setup options Anaconda will initialize and probe for Video, Monitor and mouse. It detects a VESA driver generic for the video card. Unkown monitor and Generic wheel mouse. Then: "Attempting to start Xserver...

Web resources about - Configuring display problems.. - comp.os.linux.setup

Configuring Your Xcode Project for Distribution
Describes the common workflows to develop, test, and distribute your app.

Installing and configuring Graphite
Here are some notes I jotted down while installing and configuring Graphite, which isn't a trivial task, although the official documentation ...

Configuring Android Data Binding Just Got Easier
The [Android Data Binding Guide](https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html) was recently updated with a new way to configure ...

Hands on: Configuring Apple's NetBoot service, Part 1
NetBoot allows admins to use the same network-based image for Macs throughout a network; here are some tips and tricks for making it work for ...

Configuring a secure Ubuntu Linux Virtual Private Server
... acid which is a web based application to be able to view snort alerts $ sudo apt-get install acidbase Select No when it prompts you for configuring ...

Custom Configuring Java Apps: Extending log4j
Creating an extended, server-side version of a log4j Logger that automatically configures itself and adds printf -like logging methods to the ...

T-Mobile networks start configuring themselves, thanks to Eden Rock
T-Mobile US has tapped Eden Rock Communications , a Seattle-area wireless networking startup, to add some self-awareness to its networks. Eden ...

Why NASA Is Re-Configuring Part of the International Space Station
NASA robotics flight controllers are preparing for moving day at the International Space Station.

Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming - Scott Hanselman ...
Scott Hanselman on Programming, User Experience, The Zen of Computers and Life in General