DOS to Linux Setup

I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to
make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX.
Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that
someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do
this.

Here what I have:

P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD
DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers
Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not
formatted with system files).

Here's what I need:

The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the
autoboot will recognise and get the installation underway.

Please point me to a FAQ or website that contains this info.

comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:11:40 -0300, T Mac Lean <macleant@dal.ca> wrote:

> I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to
> make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX.
> Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that
> someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do
> this.
>
> Here what I have:
>
> P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD
> DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers
> Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN

> (not formatted with system files).

What does that mean?

> Here's what I need:
>
> The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the
> autoboot will recognise and get the installation underway.
>
> Please point me to a FAQ or website that contains this info.

If you can boot from a CD you should just insert the first RH CD and
start up the system unit. If not, check your BIOS and re-configure accordingly.

An abbreviated OS is created in a ram disk (in memory only) at this point
and the install proceeds using this little, temporary, Linux OS.

There's no need for DOS commands at all.

AC

0
Alan
6/21/2004 4:58:46 PM
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:11:40 -0300, T.Mac wrote:

> I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to
> make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX.
> Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that someone
> may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do this.
>
> Here what I have:
>
> P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers
> Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not
> formatted with system files).
>
> Here's what I need:
>
> The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the
> autoboot will recognise and get the installation underway.
>
> Please point me to a FAQ or website that contains this info.

The instructions to create the Red Hat Linux boot floppy are on the first
installation CD (and this CD is already bootable when created correctly),
look in the 'dosutils' directory. Additional help to create the boot
floppy can be found here;

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-steps-install-cdrom.html#S2-STEPS-MAKE-DISKS

--
"In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

Thanks for the replies.  I missed the section on RAWRITE because I
followed the instructions immediately previous to that.  However, I am
no father ahead.

Yesterday, when I ran into the impasse I mentioned I used the
autoboot.bat in the dosutils directory and got to the point where it
says, "The REDHAT Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives
...." and then won't let you out of the install program unless you back
out of each of the previous screens.  Creating the bootdisk just used
another path to the same destination.  I'm beginning to see why linux
is not catching on even among intermediate to advanced users.

I am assuming that the installation is halting despite the presence of
the complete installation directories and files on the CD because the
media is not formatted as an installation boot CD.  The only section
on the RedHat.com site about creating an installation boot CD image
that I have found uses unix instructions.  Am I missing the DOS
equivalent somewhere ?

wrote:

>I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to
>make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX.
>Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that
>someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do
>this.
>
>Here what I have:
>
>P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD
>DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers
>Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not
>formatted with system files).
>
>Here's what I need:
>
>The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the
>autoboot will recognise and get the installation underway.
>
>Please point me to a FAQ or website that contains this info.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:35:15 -0300, T.Mac wrote:

<snip>

> I am assuming that the installation is halting despite the presence of
> the complete installation directories and files on the CD because the
> media is not formatted as an installation boot CD.  The only section on
> the RedHat.com site about creating an installation boot CD image that I
> have found uses unix instructions.  Am I missing the DOS equivalent
> somewhere ?

It's quite simple, you download the ISO's then follow the directions here;

http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

--
"In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96
0
Lenard
6/22/2004 2:55:36 PM
    I guess you missed the point where most distros produce a
"bootable" CD, just like Windows 2k and XP.  Your P3-500Mhz system
should be able to "boot" from "CD" provided you've adjusted the BIOS
to search the CD-Drive for a bootable disk 1st or 2nd - as long as it
is before the hard-disk, but being an empty hard-disk, it should find
it anyway.  Just like 2k/XP, no "DOS" required.  Since my PII-400Mhz
is CD/BIOS bootable, I'm almost positive your P3-500Mhz is also.
    Also, there are no DOS/Windows versions of UNIX commands, but
there are DOS/Windows equivalents of UNIX commands.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
"T. Mac Lean" <macleant@dal.ca> wrote in message

> Thanks for the replies.  I missed the section on RAWRITE because I
> followed the instructions immediately previous to that.  However, I
am
> no father ahead.
>
> Yesterday, when I ran into the impasse I mentioned I used the
> autoboot.bat in the dosutils directory and got to the point where it
> says, "The REDHAT Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives
> ..." and then won't let you out of the install program unless you
back
> out of each of the previous screens.  Creating the bootdisk just
used
> another path to the same destination.  I'm beginning to see why
linux
> is not catching on even among intermediate to advanced users.
>
> I am assuming that the installation is halting despite the presence
of
> the complete installation directories and files on the CD because
the
> media is not formatted as an installation boot CD.  The only section
> on the RedHat.com site about creating an installation boot CD image
> that I have found uses unix instructions.  Am I missing the DOS
> equivalent somewhere ?
>

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:11:40 -0300, T. Mac Lean <macleant@dal.ca>
> wrote:
>

> >I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how
> >make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn
UNIX.
> >Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that
> >someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to
do
> >this.
> >
> >Here what I have:
> >
> >P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD
> >DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers
> >Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not
> >formatted with system files).
> >
> >Here's what I need:
> >
> >The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the
> >autoboot will recognise and get the installation underway.
> >
> >Please point me to a FAQ or website that contains this info.

0
Star
6/22/2004 11:43:11 PM
"Star Fleet Admiral Q"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(FORGET-SPAM)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>     I guess you missed the point where most distros produce a
> "bootable" CD, just like Windows 2k and XP.  Your P3-500Mhz system
> should be able to "boot" from "CD" provided you've adjusted the BIOS
> to search the CD-Drive for a bootable disk 1st or 2nd - as long as it
> is before the hard-disk, but being an empty hard-disk, it should find
> it anyway.  Just like 2k/XP, no "DOS" required.  Since my PII-400Mhz
> is CD/BIOS bootable, I'm almost positive your P3-500Mhz is also.

I can second that: I've recently installed Linux on my laptop (P3 500 w/
CD-RW/DVD drive). I'd made the installation CDs from ISO images (by
double-clicking on the .iso file in Windows explorer which fired up EZCD
creator which did the rest).

However I have in the past copied someone else's Linux installation CDs and
somehow ended up with non-bootable CDs. Do you have a Windows install CD?
Does your PC boot from it? If not you probably need to change (in the BIOS)
the order in which your PC looks for devices to boot from (as others have
mentioned). If it boots from a Windows CD but not from your Linux one you
probably need to burn a new CD making it bootable.

Another gotcha could be that some (very) old CD drives will read CD-Rs but
not CD-RWs (in case your Linux is on CD-RWs).

0
John

Linux, Linux, Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

Why linux is linux

[News] Breaking Linux Myths; Bluetooth Setup Easier in Linux Than in Windows
Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths ,----[ Quote ] | When people find out I run Linux on my computer instead of Windows | or even Mac OS X they sometimes have funny ideas about what it must | be like. Some of it is historical; Linux used to be quite difficult | to administer in its younger days. Some of it is misinformation, | or no information at all. I hope to dispell some of the | misconceptions. `---- http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/05/161203.php Bluetooth on Ubuntu - A pleasant surprise ,----[ Quote ] | Windows XP | | 1. Pop in the driver CD of the dongle. Install the dri...

Change a sel-file for an SUSE Linux setup in the directory /suse/setup/descr
I want change the sel-files in the /suse/setup/descr directory, because I want to add a few rpm Packages in my Suse Installation. So, what means this in the sel-files: =Ver: =Sel: +Rec: -Rec: +Req: -Req: =Sum: +Con: -Con: =Cat: =Vis: =Ord: +Ins: -Ins: familiewie@web.de (supernet) wrote in message news:<6c1d6cb9.0502270738.7efd0f65@posting.google.com>... > I want change the sel-files in the /suse/setup/descr directory, > because I want to add a few rpm Packages in my Suse Installation. > > So, what means this in the sel-files: > > =Ver: > =Sel: > +Rec: > -Rec: > +Req: > -Req: > =Sum: > +Con: > -Con: > =Cat: > =Vis: > =Ord: > +Ins: > -Ins: Oh, I mean I want edit a sel-file in the /suse/setup/descr directory ...

Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux?
I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. In article <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bccaaf2@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, commiebastard <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux. Gargle is your fiend. On Apr 8, 5:12=A0am, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote: > In article > <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bcca...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, > > =A0commiebastard <oraclmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I know dual boots have been done before...

Which Linux OS best for beginner to setup as Web / Mail server / Internet sharer and firewall?
We are a small business with no IT employees and have about 20 Windows ME machines. None of that is subject to change. We are installing a DSL line, and when we do, we want to improve the way our Internet is handled. I am planning to try to set up a server which the DSL will connect to, and will run our web site off the server, as well as automatically get our POP3 emails from our outside accounts, and hold them until our local computers want to see them. It should also share the internet connection and run a firewall. We are only considering no cost versions of Linux for this purpose, an...

Setup adsl in linux
Hi, i need to setup adsl internet connection in red hat linux 7.3 . I setup the xDSL connection in control panel but how do i dial or enable it ? Pls advise how to setup internet. Thanks Rgds Daniel On 2005-01-11, danieltan@time.net.my <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote: > Hi, i need to setup adsl internet connection Good, read the dsl-howto. Davide -- "It's 806 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of coffee, half a fsckload of Y2K crap, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it". --adb On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:40:19 -0800, danieltan wr...

Mail setup for Linux
all, I am setting a system up in a Lab for our company to decide on a Mail server....here are the specs. We have 60 users and that's not likely to grow. We have a domain and static IP address the MX record points to mail.mydomain.org with the registrar for DNS We need to for our users to use Outlook Express or 3rd party clients on the road or at home Which RPM package would be best to try and configure?....do any come with GUI tools to configure ? many thanks for any input. -- Rich........ _______________________________________________________________________________ Posted...

Linux setup problem.
Hi. I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but I can't seem to get the video card to work. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 on an EMC monitor, and Linux installer can't detect a suitable mode for the display. Everything works just fine on my Win XP OS. The Linux installer runs XFree86 v4.3, and I think this one is most up to date. Any suggestions will be much appreciated? Thank you. Ilian scribbled: > Hi. > I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but > I can't seem to get the video card to work. > I have an...

Linux Setup on PDA
Hello to everyone. I have a question for you. I bought an HP iPaq rx3700 and I would like to install linux on it. I would want to know if it can be done and , if yes, how I can do this... Thanks in advance. On 2006-02-11, Cesare Atticus <mirko.lucchese@gmail.com> wrote: > I bought an HP iPaq rx3700 and I would like to install linux on it. > I would want to know if it can be done and , if yes, how I can do See on www.handhelds.org Davide -- The more we disagree, the more chance there is that at least one of us is right. ...

setup LAN with Linux?
I have a high-end Linux box, a WinXP box and a piece of crap linux laptop on my LAN using static private IPs behind a dsl router (192.168.x.x etc). Samba allows both linux cpus access to the XP box but the linux boxes won't see or share files with each other. I think NFS should be used for the linux machines to share files, but I have no clue what to use to set that up. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on both machines. How do I do this? -- I'm a total dork married to a total hottie!! bznutz at sarcastic-bastard dot com bznutz <gettinbusy@yourwifeshouse.com> wrote: .... > ...

RedHat Linux setup
I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ? Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks. Regards, Daniel On 28 Sep 2003 09:41:52 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote: > I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ? Usually, a new install is from booting the cd. The installer takes over from there. > Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks. Depends on the command. If you mean Linux pretty close to the uxix commands like ls, grep, ps, sed, ..... yes. Daniel Tan wrote: > I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from ...

Linux Monitor Setup
I recently installed Linux - Ubuntu . I have followed thru on the setup but prob choose the wrong monitor resolution .. pls help .. what do i do now?? ** I am not familiar with that distribution or XorgConfig. Go to a text console CTRL+ALT+function Key "usually F1-F6" /etc/X11/XF86Config or Xorg.config As root edit your: /etc/X11/XF86Config In the Monitor Section make sure the HorizSync 30-70 VertRefresh 50-160 are correct for your monitor. Walt R. ** On 24 Feb 2005 08:00:01 -0800, ebrahimbandookwala@gmail.com <ebrahimbandookwala@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently installed Linux - Ubuntu . I have followed thru on the setup > but prob choose the wrong monitor resolution .. pls help .. what do i > do now?? > Do you get a graphical desktop at all? If you do, select "Computer", "Desktop Preferences" and "Screen Resolution". ...

Suggestions for Linux setup
Hi, Case:Antec Sonata case (or use cheaper one?) AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.833GHz, 640k Cache, 333MHz) Barton Motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X with 8xAGP/Audio/LAN RAM: Kingston 512 MB PC2700 DDR333 Hard Drive: Seagate 80 GB, Ultra 100, 7200 RPM Video Card: Jaton GeForce4 MX440SE 64 MB AGP (w/TV-Out) ----- Total ~ $470 What does everyone think of this setup? I don't plan to overclock and intend to run somewhat quiet(So the Antec case). This will not be a gaming machine. I'll probably running Eclipse IDE/Java etc. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Looks like a good machine. Ho...

How to do ruby setup on linux?
Hi All, Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Ch Asif wrote: > Hi All, > > Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? > > Thanks Which linux? You can install ruby via the distro you are using. Or you can install from source. Daniel -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Daniel Bush wrote: > Ch Asif wrote: >> Hi All, >> >> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? >> >> Thanks > > Which linux? > You can install ruby via the distro you are us...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

How to setup linux without cdrom?
Hello everyone I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm using red hat. Thanks for your help! Have a good day! B.R. Joffre In comp.os.linux.setup tech11 <tech11@sohu.com>: > Hello everyone > I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up > linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and > install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing > server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I > remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the > machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm > using red hat. Thanks for your help! Sure it is possible if your nic is PXE capable, a properly tagged kernel is delivered on the RH install CDs. You need dhcp + tftp + (nfs|http|ftp) server. I'd rather suggest using http then nfs as install repository. Though for a single system I'd install via floppy if possible, which should be easier...

Setup Mex with ifort on Linux
I am trying to setup mex so that it uses ifort 9.0 on a machine with linux. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Dear Adrianna, I mex my fortran code under linux but I do not have intel fortran compiler. I usually use gfortran. After some tests this is my mex syntax mex FC="gfortran" FOPTIMFLAGS="-O3 -ftree-vectorize -msse3" LD="gfortran" FLIBS="" fortranfile.F fortranobject.o if gfortran (ifort in your case) is not in my path (this happens under mac), I use the fullpath mex FC="/usr/local/bin/gfortran" FOPTIMFLAGS="-O3 -ftree-ve...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

Web resources about - DOS to Linux Setup - comp.os.linux.setup

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Contract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521

TED 2016: Linux founder not a 'people person'
Linus Torvalds, head of Linux, gives a rare and open interview at the TED conference in Vancouver.

Linux was not meant to be open source
The Linux community has a lot to shout about. In addition to a seemingly endless choice of distros to suit every taste and need, there's also ...

How to use locate and grep to find files on a Linux (or OS X) system
Linux has powerful tools to help you quickly and efficiently retrieve a file. This free PDF download will show you how to use two of the most ...

Linux, IBM Share Bold Vision for Hyperledger Project, a Blockchain Fabric for Business
CoinDesk speaks to some of the driving forces behind Hyperledger, an initiative that aims to create an open fabric for blockchain technology. ...

How to use locate and grep to find files on a Linux (or OS X) system
Every year, hard drives get bigger and cheaper, a nice combination. With all the technical toys we have in our lives now, we certainly have plenty ...