dual boot windows + linux: installing windows 7 on first half of disk

Hello,

I want to install a dual boot of Windows 7 and Linux on my Sony Vaio
Laptop.
Below is the output from fdisk. The /dev/sd5 partition has its
partition type set
to 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT using fdisk's t option but actually contains
garbage.
I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up
everything
else. That is, I do not windows to overwrite my Linux partition when
installing
via the recovery partition installed in /dev/sda1 presumably and when
the
installation is finished I want to still be able to boot both windows
on /dev/sda5
or linux on /dev/sda7. How should I proceed?

/dev/sda1            2048    35762175    17880064   27  Hidden NTFS
WinRE
/dev/sda2   *    35762176    35966975      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/
exFAT
/dev/sda3        35969022   625141759   294586369    5  Extended
/dev/sda5        35969024   328935423   146483200    7  HPFS/NTFS/
exFAT
/dev/sda6       328937472   340654079     5858304   82  Linux swap /
Solaris
/dev/sda7       340656128   625141759   142242816   83  Linux

Thank you for your help,

John Goche
0
Nick
6/7/2012 10:19:58 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Jun 7, 12:19=A0pm, Nick K <nzane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to install a dual boot of Windows 7 and Linux on my Sony Vaio
> Laptop.
> Below is the output from fdisk. The /dev/sd5 partition has its
> partition type set
> to 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT using fdisk's t option but actually contains
> garbage.
> I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up
> everything
> else. That is, I do not windows to overwrite my Linux partition when
> installing
> via the recovery partition installed in /dev/sda1 presumably and when
> the
> installation is finished I want to still be able to boot both windows
> on /dev/sda5
> or linux on /dev/sda7. How should I proceed?
>
> Device Boot =A0 =A0 =A0Start =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 End =A0 =A0 =A0Blocks =A0 Id=
 =A0System
> /dev/sda1 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A02048 =A0 =A035762175 =A0 =A017880064 =A0=
 27 =A0Hidden NTFS
> WinRE
> /dev/sda2 =A0 * =A0 =A035762176 =A0 =A035966975 =A0 =A0 =A0102400 =A0 =A0=
7 =A0HPFS/NTFS/
> exFAT
> /dev/sda3 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A035969022 =A0 625141759 =A0 294586369 =A0 =A05 =
=A0Extended
> /dev/sda5 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A035969024 =A0 328935423 =A0 146483200 =A0 =A07 =
=A0HPFS/NTFS/
> exFAT
> /dev/sda6 =A0 =A0 =A0 328937472 =A0 340654079 =A0 =A0 5858304 =A0 82 =A0L=
inux swap /
> Solaris
> /dev/sda7 =A0 =A0 =A0 340656128 =A0 625141759 =A0 142242816 =A0 83 =A0Lin=
ux

> Thank you for your help,
>
> John Goche

Looks like I'm going to have to install windows first, then reinstall
linux.
I hope that after installing windows I will be able to boot into it.

-----------------------------

http://bo1024.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/dual-boot-windows-7-and-linux-ubuntu=
/

Step 4: Install Windows (if not already installed)

If you don=92t have Windows installed, we need to install Windows first.
Boot from the Windows CD (or USB drive if you have it on that disk
image) and do a fresh install. Make sure to install it onto the
partition you created specifically for Windows.

----------------------------

Regards,

John Goche
0
Nick
6/7/2012 11:30:53 AM
Well,

I have tried reinstalling windows but when the
reinstallation program reboots I end up with
the following prompt:

No such partition.
grub rescue>

Not sure how to proceed so that I can reinstall
windows 7. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

John Goche
0
Nick
6/7/2012 12:02:11 PM
On Jun 7, 2:02=A0pm, Nick K <nzane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> I have tried reinstalling windows but when the
> reinstallation program reboots I end up with
> the following prompt:
>
> No such partition.
> grub rescue>
>
> Not sure how to proceed so that I can reinstall
> windows 7. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> John Goche

Hello,

I've tried repairing this problem by burning the rescatux 0.30 beta 6
program to disk and using the "Restore Windows MBR" option to
/dev/sda1 and also /dev/sda2 just in case. Unfortunately the
result is that now when I reboot the computer I get the
following prompt:

MBR
MBR 1234:

and then the boot process stalls.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this error message?

Thanks,

JG

0
Nick
6/7/2012 1:42:11 PM
Hello all,

I tried getting rid of the problem by downloading the
"rescatux 0.30 beta 6" program from the internet and
burning it to a CD, booting from such, and choosing
the "restore windows MBR" option but now when I
boot the computer I get the following error message:

MBR
MBR 1234:

at which place the boot process stalls and I'm not
sure what to do. This is a problem especially since
I do not have the Windows 7 install CD for the
particular laptop (didn't create one when my
windows 7 was installed).

Thanks for any suggestions,

John Goche

On Jun 7, 2:02=A0pm, Nick K <nzane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> I have tried reinstalling windows but when the
> reinstallation program reboots I end up with
> the following prompt:
>
> No such partition.
> grub rescue>
>
> Not sure how to proceed so that I can reinstall
> windows 7. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> John Goche

0
Nick
6/7/2012 1:49:21 PM
Nick K wrote:
> Well,
>
> I have tried reinstalling windows but when the
> reinstallation program reboots I end up with
> the following prompt:
>
> No such partition.
> grub rescue>

ah. I think you may have to reformat the whole disk as windows doesn't
recognise linux partitions  except as 'unknown partitions'

But I haven't installed windows in a real bit of hardware for several
years now...

> Not sure how to proceed so that I can reinstall
> windows 7. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> John Goche

and how hard it is to achieve it.
0
The
6/7/2012 3:55:29 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:19:58 -0700, Nick K wrote:

> I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up
> everything
> else. That is, I do not windows to overwrite my Linux partition when

You've got a problem.  Ever since the first Linux/Windows dual boot, the
rule has been to install Windows first, then Linux.

There may be a way around it by now, but it's probably quickest to save
whatever you need from the current Linux and then start over with Windows
first.

Larry
6/7/2012 4:38:26 PM
Thank you for your replied,

I managed to fix the problem even though I had to
reinstall windows and only then make space to
reinstall windows alongside. Since I had no
recovery disk I just pressed F10 on the
sony vaio when the bios screen came
up to boot from the recovery disk
partition as per the instructions
on the following link:

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-recovery-partition-t4534.html

Regards,

JG

On Jun 7, 6:38=A0pm, Larry Blanchard <lbla...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:19:58 -0700, Nick K wrote:
> > I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up
> > everything
> > else. That is, I do not windows to overwrite my Linux partition when
>
> You've got a problem. =A0Ever since the first Linux/Windows dual boot, th=
> rule has been to install Windows first, then Linux.
>
> There may be a way around it by now, but it's probably quickest to save
> whatever you need from the current Linux and then start over with Windows
> first.
>
> --
> Intelligence is an experiment that failed - G. B. Shaw
0
Nick
6/7/2012 8:10:25 PM
Thank you for your replies,

In the end all that needed to be done is press F10 upon booting to
boot from the windows recovery disk:

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-recovery-partition-t4534.html

Regards,

JG
0
Nick
6/7/2012 8:11:23 PM
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:55:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Nick K wrote:
>> Well,
>>
>> I have tried reinstalling windows but when the reinstallation program
>> reboots I end up with the following prompt:
>>
>> No such partition.
>> grub rescue>
>>

> ah. I think you may have to reformat the whole disk as windows doesn't
> recognise linux partitions  except as 'unknown partitions'

Windows being dumber that a box of rocks doesn't know what to do with
grub and it won't install its bootloader.

What need s to be done is to zero the boot loader or remove grub then
install windos 7 (take two asprin) then install linux.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-how-to-uninstall-grub
0
GangGreene
6/7/2012 11:03:16 PM
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:38:26 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard <lblanch@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 03:19:58 -0700, Nick K wrote:
>
>> I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up
>> everything
>> else. That is, I do not windows to overwrite my Linux partition when
>
>You've got a problem.  Ever since the first Linux/Windows dual boot, the
>rule has been to install Windows first, then Linux.
>
>There may be a way around it by now, but it's probably quickest to save
>whatever you need from the current Linux and then start over with Windows
>first.

There ways around installing Linux first, reserving the first partition
for windows is easiest.  If installing windows after Linux, you will
need to boot the Linux install CD and re-install your favourite boot
loader to regain control of the boot sequence.

I have example lilo.conf file at

  http://bugs.id.au/kernel/boxen/toshi/

Grant.
0
Grant
6/8/2012 2:04:06 AM
On 06/07/2012 05:19 AM, Nick K wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to install a dual boot of Windows 7 and Linux on my Sony Vaio
> Laptop.
> Below is the output from fdisk. The /dev/sd5 partition has its
> partition type set
> to 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT using fdisk's t option but actually contains
> garbage.
> I need to install Windows in partition /dev/sda5 without messing up
> everything

To dual boot Windows and Linux

the first thing you need to to is a clean install of Windows.

Do not use the whole disk of course, leave as much free space as is
needed for your future Linux install.

Once Windows is installed, then you can install Linux
using the free space

The reason Windows needs to be installed first is that no matter which
partition you install Windows on...it's "boot files" will need to be on
the first primary partition
0
philo

Installing dual-boot Windows 7 and Linux systems.
On Apr 2, 5:26 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...@gmail.com> wrote: [wants to have Windows 7 and Linux running on the same machine, dual- boot or ...] Ray, this was such a good question, and so relevant, that I felt it deserved it's own subject line. > I will only accept serious answers in this thread. If you reply "20 > minutes" you're not doing me or your cause, Linux advocacy, any > favors. In fact, the opposite. Windows 7 is actually easier to configure for a dual-boot environment. Make sure that all of your hardware is fully supported. Ideally, you want a ...

dual boot / windows 2000 and linux? install what one first?
HI, How well does the dual boot work when running windows 2000 and linux? The computer would have 2 hard drives in them. do you need to have windows on first and then install linux or install linux and set up a boot loader and then install windows? thank you, Chad Chad Pauli wrote: > HI, > > How well does the dual boot work when running windows 2000 and linux? > The computer would have 2 hard drives in them. do you need to have windows > on first and then install linux > or install linux and set up a boot loader and then install windows? > > ...

dual boot: first linux then windows
hi to everybody, i have a hardrive with gentoo linux installed and 20 G of free space at the beginning of the hard disk. on gentoo i have installed grub. is it possible to install windows xp on this free space, without messing up the gentoo installation? how? any links? all the docs i found says to install first windows then linux, but i discovered this too late! thanks renna On 19 Nov 2005 08:50:59 -0800 rennabh@gmail.com wrote: > hi to everybody, i have a hardrive with gentoo linux installed and 20 G > of free space at the beginning of the hard disk. on gentoo i have > installed...

Installing windows after linux (dual boot)
Hello guys, I have RedHat Linux installed on my PC (using GRUB) I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Windows as dual boot? (VMWare is expensive) I am looking at Linux Docs and telling my self that it can't be that complicated. Any suggestions or links. Thanks Prabh Hello Prabh (<prabhdeep@videotron.ca>) wrote: > I have RedHat Linux installed on my PC (using GRUB) > I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Windows as > dual boot? (VMWare is expensive) I am looking at Linux Docs and > telling my self that it can...

Linux along with Windows booted from USB Stick (Co-existence of Linux & Windows)
Hi, I need Windows for certain applications and Linux for certain other applications. But, the computer currently has only Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it. I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via USB stick !! :-) I am following the below steps for Windows XP from USB stick - http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick) But, I understand that by the above method we can have the Windows XP booted up from the USB Stick and Windows XP will be using entire RAM :-( But, i would like to have Linux also ! Is it po...

Installing Linux on a Windows dual boot system
I would like to install Kubuntu Linux on my computer but I already have two copies of windows XP installed. I have installed Ubuntu successfully on a computer that had windows XP installed and it worked great. My question is will it be any different because I have two copies installed. Will the boot menu show both copies of Windows? markav2@gmail.com wrote: > I would like to install Kubuntu Linux on my computer but I already have > two copies of windows XP installed. I have installed Ubuntu > successfully on a computer that had windows XP installed and it worked > great. My question is will it be any different because I have two > copies installed. Will the boot menu show both copies of Windows? Here are two solutions that keep the Windows loader. GRUB seemed to be easier, but LILO worked for me... http://web.archive.org/web/20021009095935/http://users.wpi.edu/~naveen/projects/content/d/dualbootlin2000.html http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html -- v/r, C-F collinsd_kc.rr.com markav2@gmail.com wrote: > > I would like to install Kubuntu Linux on my computer but I already > have two copies of windows XP installed. I have installed Ubuntu > successfully on a computer that had windows XP installed and it worked > great. My question is will it be any different because I have two > copies installed. Will the boot menu show both copies of Windows? Just to satisfy my curiosity, why would a...

Why Does Linux and Windows 7 Screw Up My Boot Disks???
Ok I confess, I have no idea why this happens and I'm probably not going to be great at explaining it, but bear with me. Asus P5Q SE with 2 SATA drives, 1 EIDE drive and 1 EIDE DVD. Drives are listed in BIOS as far as order as EIDE /SATA1/ SATA2 DVD. Boot drive is EIDE. SATA drives are 1.5TB and single partition. As far as Windows dijs management is concerned: EIDE drive is 320GB listed as Disk 0 and 3 partitions, C:Windows, D:Storage E: Linux/Win7/whatever this is my play partition. SATA drives are Disk 1 and 2 DVD is Disk 3 Ok, so every time I try to install Linux on E:partitio...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

[News] Linux Boots Windows; GNU/Linux on Almost Half of Netbooks, But Microsoft Downplays It

Windows 7 won't boot. Installed Linux. All fixed.
I'm not looking back to windoze ever again. I purchased an Acer laptop with Windows 7 on it. It worked for three months and then wouldn't boot. I called their support line and they had me do something called fdisk. Now my machine wont even see my hard memory. I talked to a geek friend of mine and she told me to down load and install Ubuntu which I did. Now my system is fine. Everything works fine and Linux saved my laptop. Thank goodness for Linux and the people that make it. FB Faggy Baggy <loose1thatsme@linux.nab> wrote: > I'm not looking back to windoze ever again. I ...

Dual boot Windows 2000 & Linux from separate disks (SUCCESS)
Hi, For some time I've had a problem with dual-booting Windows 2000 and Linux, each on its own disk. After reading a myriad of complex recipes for doing such (many of which failed or did not meet what I was trying to achieve), I finally got it working. I wanted to pass on what I have learned to the rest of the community, in case someone ran into a similar issue. First, the facts. I have Redhat Fedora (core 1) installed on an entire Western Digital 80GB drive. Normal partitioning scheme, with /boot on the first partition (which I've seen recommended, and seems to be enf...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

[News] Guide for Dual-booting (First Step Away from Windows), Linux in a Nutshell

Groupware for LINUX. KUBUNTU/UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
Hi, is Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX the way to go. It is easily downloadable. Also, look up "urine therapy" and http://tripod.spacetimemotion.com And which is the best groupware for Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX. It is not ? http://www.phpgroupware.org/ Erach ...

Dual-everything...except dual-boot Windows\Linux
Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005: two dual-core procs (AMD Opteron) two terabytes of disk (Hitachi Deskstar) two videocards (nVidia 7800) two DVD burners (Plextor) two 24" LCDs (Dell) .... and two XP Pro operating systems (32- and 64-bit) They chose well. DFS wrote: > Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005: > > two dual-core procs (AMD Opteron) > two terabytes of disk (Hitachi Deskstar) > two videocards (nVidia 7800) > two DVD burners (Plextor) > two 24" LCDs (Dell) > ... > and two XP Pro operating systems (32- and 64-bit) > > They chose well. And it s...

How to create a mac-os 7.5.3 installation cd on a Windows / Linux PC ?
Hello ! How to create a mac-os 7.5.3 installation cd on a Windows / Linux PC ? I got for free from the garbage a Performa 5200 with keyboard and mouse PowerPC603, harddisk Quantum TRB850A, cd-rom Matshit ACD-ROM CR-800SA ( SCSI id 3 ) 40 MB RAM , with installed System 8.1, fully functional, but no Apple installation CD_ROM disk, no Ethernet on the Apple ( no Appletalk on the Linux/Windows PC, no modem, no CD recorder. So I can�t use the working 8.1 system to prepare the CD. So to build the system from new, I would like to install System 7.5.3 ( and upgrade to 7.5.5 later ), downloadab...

[News] Linux, Unlike Windows, Runs Both Linux and Windows Programs

Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 The message is in the video. That means play the stupid thing, People! On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote: > Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 > > The message is in the video. > > That means play the stupid thing, People! lol ! What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications. What he fails to mention is out of the b...

Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)
In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder, I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux movement after all. For a minute. Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to go about insta...

Enabling a Unix OS in dual boot config with a Windows OS to maintain a valid keytab in Active Directory without invalidating the Windows OS's domain trust relationship
Dear List, This information is aimed at sites for which all of the following apply: - Sites that are using Active Directory as a Kerberos KDC - Sites that have dual-boot configured machines running both a Linux and W= indows based OS with the same hostname - Sites that want to have a working Kerberos keytab on the Linux OS, but w= ithout invalidating the trust relationship between the Windows OS and Activ= e Directory. This problem may be old news or may not apply, but it can be solved with a = few steps: Problem/Background: If a keytab is constructed for the Linux OS (using mskt= util, ...

[News] [Linux] Opensuse Linux Gets Windows Installer
Install Linux, From Windows ,----[ Quote ] | If you've been pushing off on installing Linux due to a lack of CDs | or DVDs, OpenSuSE 10.3 Alpha 4 features InstLinux, which allows you | to install the Linux distribution (in this instance, OpenSuSE 10.3) | while staying inside of Windows. `---- http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=215 Related: Take Ubuntu for a non-invasive test drive with Wubi ,----[ Quote ] | Windows only: Wubi is a Windows-based Ubuntu Linux installer that | lets you run the OS on your Windows XP box--no partitions, | bootloaders or Live CDs required. `---- http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/take-ubuntu-for-a-non+invasive-test-drive-with-wubi-258936.php http://tinyurl.com/294xxd Linux is not Windows Lite ,----[ Quote ] | Unfortunately, as I've said elsewhere, linux is not Windows and | efforts to make it so are doomed to fail. Nobody gets to be a | leader by following, and neither OpenOffice nor Linux are going | to beat Microsoft at being Microsoft while following where | Microsoft leads - just as Microsoft is never going to beat | Apple on technology by copying its interface and gadgets. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=858 Windows based (Linux) installer - testers and developers wanted ,----[ Quote ] | The aim of this installer is to provide an easier way for a Windows | user to install Ubuntu without having to know how to burn a cd iso, | set the bios to boot from cd, repartition the di...

Dual-boot Linux with Windows XP
Present setup: Windows XP Home, SP1 (no SP2!) 1 HD, 20GB, 2 partitions: C:, Primary, 10GB, FAT32, HAD W98SE, now nothing but BOOT LOADER, NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM E:, Extended, FAT32, with W XP Home What I would like to do, is install Linux (SuSe, Mandrake or Red Hat desktop), to be dual-booted with XP. That is, I like to carve out a Linux partition in the large amount of empty space on the present C: drive. So I would end up with 3 partitions, C: just for booting, a Linux partition and E: with XP. Is that possible? Where would the Linux boot loader go? Which would control the booting choice, the Linux boot loader or the Windows one. In the end, I am of course interested in only one thing, to be able to boot, at will, into Windows or Linux. Thank you, sincerely, Stranger 18 On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:04:33 -0400, Stranger18 wrote: > Present setup: > > Windows XP Home, SP1 (no SP2!) > > 1 HD, 20GB, 2 partitions: > > C:, Primary, 10GB, FAT32, HAD W98SE, now nothing but BOOT LOADER, NTLDR, > NTDETECT.COM > E:, Extended, FAT32, with W XP Home > > What I would like to do, is install Linux (SuSe, Mandrake or Red Hat > desktop), to be dual-booted with XP. That is, I like to carve out a Linux > partition in the large amount of empty space on the present C: drive. So I > would end up with 3 partitions, C: just for booting, a Linux partition and > E: with XP. > > Is that p...

Query in Dual boot(Windows+Linux)
Hi, I have dual boot PC with Windows and CentOS linux. I installed windows and linux completely. And when i reboot my machine Directly its going to command prompt Its showing GRUB loading stage 2 The command prompt is grub> What i have to give in command prompt so that my PC boot in Windows as well as in Linux. Pls. suggest me. Regards, Kirthika On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:49:16 -0700, kracks wrote: > Hi, > I have dual boot PC with Windows and CentOS linux. I installed windows > and linux completely. And when i reboot my machine > Directly its going to command promp...

dual boot linux with windows XP
Hi guys, I am a newbie for linux and for system set up. I have some problem with install linux redhat 6.2 with windows xp, I try to dual boot them. But the problem is when I try to partition for linux, I couldn't allocate the /boot on hard drive, always this error: boot image too large. Here is the situation for my pc: 1 hard drive 80GB. C: 30 GB FOR WINDOWS XP (8 GB used) E: 50 GB FOR linux Now I can't shrink C drive below 1024 cylinder, can I still dual boot with linux? do you have any expericence to deal with this situation and not harm my windows xp? Many thanks for your help, Laura On 2005-01-06, Laura <lili@nrcan.gc.ca> wrote: > I am a newbie for linux and for system set up. I have some problem > with install linux redhat 6.2 with windows xp 6.2 is reeeeeeeally old. You'd better get something more up to date, like fedora. > 1 hard drive 80GB. > C: 30 GB FOR WINDOWS XP (8 GB used) Do not partition the disk from Windows for Linux, remove the 'E:' partition and do the partitioning in the install of Linux. Since your disk is big, you _have_ to get a decently new version of linux or you wont' be able to boot with the supplied version of Lilo. Fedora ship with Grub that doesn't have problems in booting from partition that are over the first 8Gb, otherwise you need to download a newer version of LILO. Davide -- ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets....

Web resources about - dual boot windows + linux: installing windows 7 on first half of disk - comp.os.linux.setup

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper