Paul
0
plm
6/6/2004 6:39:32 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> How can I partition and format an external
> USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3,
> 1/3 FAT 32 ?

fdisk and mkfs?

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0
John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message news:<slrncc77ss.9af.john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org>...
> On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
> > How can I partition and format an external
> > USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3,
> > 1/3 FAT 32 ?
>
> fdisk and mkfs?

mkfs cannot format HFS+.  If I partitition with fdisk,
MAC OSX 10.2.8 cannot format the resulting disk either.
0
plm

Would this help? http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplus/

--

-John (john@os2.dhs.org)
0

[News] OpenSolaris Runs from USB, Linux Runs from USB, Where are Mac OS X and Windows?
Cool! OpenSolaris on a USB Bootable drive ,----[ Quote ] | This particular addition was made by an enthusiast, Anil Gulecha, | who's an engineering student in Bangalore, who picked up OpenSolaris | on his own and has started making additions to it. `---- http://blogs.sun.com/tatkar/entry/cool_opensolaris_on_a_usb More proof that Open Source brings you to the forefront. The companies needn't even intervene because there are tinkerers out there. Days ago: Mandriva Linux, 3D on a flash drive ,----[ Quote ] | Mandriva today launches Mandriva Flash, the first Mandriva | Linux Live ...

sharing a drive between OS X and i686 linux.
Hi, all, What is the best way to partition and format an external USB drive so that I end up with one linux only, one mac only and one common partition (ideally ext3, HFS+, and FAT32, respectively). Paul In article <3f22daad.0406061032.5cf692f5@posting.google.com>, plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu (Paul) wrote: > Hi, all, > > What is the best way to partition and format > an external USB drive so that I end up with > one linux only, one mac only and one common > partition (ideally ext3, HFS+, and FAT32, > respectively). > > Paul Wha...

Choosing the right OS between Mac OS X, Linux dist, Win
Hi Guys, I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 5100 P4-2.8 GHz (1.25 GB RAM, 40GB HDD). Its been running fine with some heating problems, and a few fresh installations of win-xp needed. Now, I have a need to buy a second laptop (it has to be a laptop since I am moving place to place every few months). Thats when I hit the question.. What to buy... Well, before anything else, I should mention my intended usage of the system... - Running software like - Oracle 10g Server, - Oracle Warehouse Builder - Some ETL tools... - some shell programming - some perl programming - lots of...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Gets Prettier, Mac OS X Plays Catch-up
H-K Suite [EN] ,----[ Quote ] | Suite H-K is an union of skins, themes, icons, scripts and | configuration files which got the purpose to create an elegant, | linear Desktop. Differently from meny other dark themes, I tried | to avoid reading problems in most commons programs. Here are some | screenshot from version 0.1. `---- http://embracesblog.mine.nu/?page_id=5 Apple's latest catchup: [Apple's 'Beryl/XGL'] ,----[ Quote ] | With Mac OS X, you can multitask like never before. You can run | several applications at once and have multiple windows open at the | same ti...

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147262/os_smackdown_linux_vs_mac_os_x_vs_vista_vs_xp.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang <ron916@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT) <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>: > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP > > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, > Computerworld > > http://www.pcworld.com/bu...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] [Linux] Mark Pigrim Satisfied with GNU/Linux, Having Ditched Mac OS X
One year with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Any modern Linux distribution presents a good "out of the box" | experience, with friendly defaults and familiar metaphors. But a | year ago, several people recommended that I try alternative window | managers, and at the time, I didn't understand why. Now I do. It's | difficult to explain. People say that Ruby On Rails is | "opinionated software." I suppose all software reflects the opinions | of its authors, but some are certainly more opinionated than others, | and window managers, as a class, are more opinionated than m...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs
More Unix in Apple's Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to | the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future | be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of | interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is | DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring | of the performance of programs during run-time. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09 Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. W...

Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux?
I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. In article <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bccaaf2@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, commiebastard <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux. Gargle is your fiend. On Apr 8, 5:12=A0am, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote: > In article > <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bcca...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, > > =A0commiebastard <oraclmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I know dual boots have been done before...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

X forwarding from from a Mac OS X to SuSE Linux
Hi, I'm running a SuSE Linux box at home, and my girlfriend has a Mac runing OS X at her house. I'd like to xhost into my machine from hers and run something. For example: $ ssh -X susebox $ emacs & and have emacs open graphically. I've done it a million times from Linux to Linux, and even from Windows to Linux, using Cygwin's excellent X-server. I got sshd working on her machine, but now I'm stuck. What should I do? Are there some X configuration files I need to check to make sure Mac's X-server is even listening for connections? Is Mac OS X even running an...

Mac OS X and Linux
I want to ask (what may be) a stupid question: If Mac OS/X is based on some kind of BSD/Unix OS and it can run apps like MS Powerpoint and Adobe Photoshop (and others), what does this mean? 1. Does it mean those apps have been ported by MS and Adobe (etc) to run under a BSD/Unixy paradigm? 2. Does it mean that Apple has the source for those apps and has compiled it for their OS? 3. Does it mean they are running under some kind of WINE or somesuch? And finally, If these are ports, why have they not arrived on the Linux desktop yet? Even commercially? I await my licks! -- Bats ~..~ (I can onl...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Linux and Mac OS X
Fed up with all the spyware, viruses and other XP problems,so I switched over (again) to Mandrake 9.2 a couple of weeks ago on my AMD 2100+. Well, I must say Linux is maturing to a viable alternative to Windows. It is drop dead gorgeous, more configurable and more stable than Windows. There are still a few quirks and the help needs improvement but overall I am very impressed. Do any of you run Linux on your Mac H/W? Would you consider switching to less expensive Intel/AMD with Linux as an alternative to Mac OS X? In article <pan.2003.11.20.21.39.59.633697@telus.net>, Martik <martik@...

Web resources about - external USB drive with i686 linux and Mac OS X. - comp.os.linux.setup

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

How-To: Setup Photos and iCloud Photo Library with external storage + Time Machine backups
... photo library either, but Photos on OS X lets move your Photos library from the default Photos folder to cheaper and higher capacity external ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Tencent to offer facial recognition technologies to external partners free of ...
Biometric Update Tencent to offer facial recognition technologies to external partners free of ... Biometric Update In an effort to improve ...

Crisis management: 70% internal, 30% external
... the importance of that early experience. Today when I talk with executives about crisis management, their focus is almost exclusively external. ...