ftp configuration by xinitd (yast network services)

Dear experts,

I have installed Suse 8.2 Proff. and i want to work with an ftp-server only
with welknown users over the internet.

i have looked in Yast Network services ( configuration xinitd ) and saw
different services of ftp
when i enable it. but whichone is the right type of ftpservice to choose

service    type        protocol        server
ftp        stream        tcp                /usr/bin/vsftpd                1
ftp                          tcp                in.ftpd (ftpd)
2
ftp                          tcp                pure-ftp (pure-ftpd)
3
tftp                         udp               in. tftpd (tftpd)
4

i am sure that nr. 4 with udp protocol isn't the rightone
nr. 1 is a secure connection with password security
but what is the difference between nr 2 and 3
which type of  ftp-connection can i use for normal exchange of files by the
internet
is that nr 2 or 3.

Any help is appreciated
M@rinu$

comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network
Hi , I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. What software do i need to do this ? Thanks in advance. BNS MIke typed: > I have a windows 2000 server running as the domain controller. I want > to add a LINUX (RED HAT 9.0) computer as a client in this network. > What software do i need to do this ? > you'll have everything you need to accomplish this. samba is what will work: http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html 'man smbclient' 'man smbmount' or try this HOW...

Generic network service/Application network service
Hi folks, Can anybody give me some pointers as to What are generic network services/ what they do etc What application network services are/ what they do What is the difference between low and high level network service any help will be much appreciated... ...

Linux Passive FTP Configuration
Hello, I am using RedHat Legacy Linux 7.2 on each of two servers. Server A intends to invoke an FTP client to transfer a file to/from the FTP daemon on Server B. The FTP daemon is running proftpd 1.2.1. The FTP file transfer must be done in passive mode, not active mode. Passive FTP is problematic. The firewall must be opened to a restricted range of high-numbered ports > 1023. Okay, here is what I have done, and passive FTP still does not work. Why? 1. Made sure our network firewall allows access to the FTP daemon port 21 from anywhere. 2. Made sure the FTP daemon port 21 is allo...

Configure DSL and Linux network
Dear Experts, I have 2 XP/Linux dual boot machines. Previously, these machines were connected with a crossover cable, and they could talk to each other. But now, there is a DSL modem, and router that is not configured right. I have installed DSL on the XP side, and it is working well. Now, I'm trying to get it to work on Linux. First and foremost, I need the two Linux machines to talk to each other, through the router. Internet is secondary. So far, I can't even ping the modem, or router, so some fundamental configuration is needed. Hardware: The IP addresses are what is config...

linux configuration for home network
I have a home network with two computers: the server with Wxp home edition, the client with Linux mandrake 9.2. I am trying but I cannot configurate Linux for Internet. Can anybody tell me how to do it? Thanks. Juan Carlos from Forli, Italy. Juan Carlos wrote: > I have a home network with two computers: the server with Wxp home edition, > the client with Linux mandrake 9.2. > > I am trying but I cannot configurate Linux for Internet. > > Can anybody tell me how to do it? providing some basic information would be nice: what do you mean "the server with Wxp&quo...

linux network card setup
Hi everyone! i was running a redhat server for about a year, and decided to switch to try out Slackware but i'm having a major problem. I use the linux machine as a router, and it seems to me by default slackware only autodetects the first network card during install. I was wondering if anyone knows a way i can auto detect my second network card. I tried to type: ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.1 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255. 255.255.0 but i get the error: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device eth1: unknown interface: No such device SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device eth1: unk...

New to Linux
I just installed slackware 10.0- no real problems that I can tell, other than I cannot get my cable modem to work with the system. I use roadrunner, and connect to the modem thru an ethernet port. I used netconfig to recognize the hardware, but I can't access the network. I know very little about linux at this point or about real computing (outside windows). I found some general tutorials on this on google, but they seem to be over my knowledge level. I don't want to change any files or variables without knowing what I am doing. I would appreciate any help you could give...

How to setup and configure DNS service on V3R2
I need to setup FTP transfer from AS400 to a FTP server on our local network. When I use IP address for that server, everything seems to be OK, but when I use that server's name, I am getting message "Cannot resolve host name at this time." Apparently I need to configure and start DNS service on AS400 and point it to our DNS server. Could somebody, please, let me know how to do that for v3r2? Even if you know how to do that for later OS400, please, still let me know as I hope it would be similar on V3R2. TIA Naum wrote: > I need to setup FTP transfer from AS400 to a FTP serv...

Really simple setup of networks (linux)

[printing] configuration of networked printer under Linux
Hello everyone, I am trying to print to my department's main networked printer, a Xerox Document Center 470ST, from my Linux laptop. My problem is that the IT department "naturally" doesn't support Linux and won't even tell me how everything is configured... The only information I have is: - when I send a print job from my Windows machine, the printed pages show up under a cover sheet which has my Windows/Novell username written across it in big letters - going to the Windows control panel of a computer which can print to the Xerox, selecting this printer, "Prop...

Where does OS X store network configurations??
I just installed Tiger on a disc that I had to erase previously, therefore I could not take over the configurations from the previous Panther installation. Now I'm trying to reconfigre all the network locations that I had. Some of which included phone numbers and usernames I saved the whole disc on an external drive, so I figure there must be a file somewhere that contains all that information. But where? Thanks for any help! Martin In article <1h1an5i.10lwzdc1j4mnacN%martin.krueger@alcatel.de>, martin.krueger@alcatel.de (Martin) wrote: > I just installed Tiger on a disc tha...

NOVELL MOVING NETWORKING SERVICES TO LINUX
Posted June 24, 2003 6:00 AM Pacific Time Following up on its recent pledge to back Linux, Novell on Tuesday will announce that its networking services are being moved to the open source Linux platform. The company will announce Nterprise Linux Services, although the product will not ship until the end of this year. The package will consist of Novell's file, print, messaging, directory, and management services tailored to the Red Hat and SuSE distributions of Linux. Novell had pledged Linux support at its BrainShare user conference in Salt Lake City in April For the full story: http://...

"Network error -- Error: Incomplete Setup ... Check your network setup."
Hello! Why do I get "Network error -- Error: Incomplete Setup ... Check your network setup." in Palm Tungsten C (Palm OS 5)? This is when using wireless connection (hotspots and open APs) with programs like Web Pro, AvantGo, etc. It was working fine a few days ago. I checked the settings and they appeared to be fine. Am I missing something? Thank you in advance. -- "An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx | |o o| | ...

2 network cards on linux to configure a router
When I put my first network card on my linux box and connect my cable modum directly to my linux box I can get to to the internet with no problem but the moment I put my second network card on my linux server (so I can connect a switch to the second interface) I cannot get online line Can someone help me out the second card seems to causing the first network card problems I am running redhat linux 9.0 Thanks Gary In article <d8550f00.0401131244.b9b9f92@posting.google.com>, gary <linux_1234@yahoo.com> wrote: >When I put my first network card on my linux b...

Linux, Linux, Linux

FTP Service Rules on OS X Server
We are running 10.3.5 on a Xserve which, among other services, handles ftp. We have a client who cannot connect to our FTP server under active mode. Passive is not enabled in my router as only ports 20 and 21 point to the FTP server. Is there a workaround for this client to connect? If I open up a wide range of ports, does this not pose a security risk? My router only allows me to specify the port I want and point it at a specific IP address. It doesn't allow for a range of ports to be opened. After speaking with Apple, they said I could custom configure some rules via the command l...

Hey! I easily setup...Linux network printing!
It was so easy! Didn't take me a minute through KDE and supported my printer without a hitch. Here I compare the steps to setup different types of printers on both Linux with KDE and Windows. KDE: - Control Center, Peripherals, Printers - add printer - select make/model - done Windows: - same procedure Configuring a remote LDP queue (printer attached to a router with print serving capability and made available to the network): KDE: - Control Center, Peripherals, Printers - Add remote LPD queue - enter IP and name of queue (usually LPT1) - select make/model - done Windows: - Control ...

1st time linux setup in win network
I'm installing a Fedora Core 1 based machine into an existing network of Windows machines. The network configuration includes a number of Win 95, Win 98, Win NT, Win 2000, and Win XP machines. Many of the machines come and go depending on current projects. The existing machines are all connected to a LinkSys Router configured as a DHCP server that, in turn, provides access to the Internet for all the machines. I installed Fedora from a DVD that came with "The Complete Reference, Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora Edition", Osborne, RIchard Petersen and Ibrahim Haddad. The...

ftp client+ embedded linux + configuring ip address
after compiling quftp when i run the client i am able to connect to ftp server. Default ftp client connects to eth0. But i want to configure my ftp client for wireless lan ip. I just changed the hostname to "wireless lan ip address" But i am not able to communicate with ftp server. Suggest me how to configure quftp for wireless lan ip. I studied except physical layer everything is same for wired and wireless. Suggest me On 2009-04-07, kracks <kirthikaiitm@gmail.com> wrote: > after compiling quftp when i run the client i am able to connect to > ftp...

Some network setup issues (Linux to internet via Windows)
Hi! I have 2 computers connected via ethernet, one running Debian and the other running Windows XP. The windows machine has a dial-up connection to the internet, and I've enabled sharing on that connection. I've also enabled routing in the registry. In the Linux machine, I've set the gateway to the ethernet IP of the windows machine. Now the problem is that although domain resolving works nice and fast, none of the applications seem to be able to make any communication with the internet. For example, Mozilla resolves the domain, then shows the "connecting to..." message ...

configuring linux samba to access OS/2 shares
I have just installed Linux Mint x64 release 8 (helena) on one of my systems to check it out. I am trying to configure samba on there so it will allow mounting of some OS/2 shares, but I am not getting in. I did set the workgroup properly and it shows all my OS/2 systems except my domain controller. When I attempt to open one of the OS/2 systems in the network browser I get prompted for a user/password and this the fails. So I assume I have other samba settings to change so I can use OS/2 shares from linux. Any pointers? Is there a reason my domain controller isn't being seen?...

[News] University Provides Service for Linux Installs Over the Network
The University Computer Club: Ubuntu Port ,----[ Quote ] | Using the Port | | To install Ubuntu on your machine, follow these easy-peasy | steps: | | 1. Plug in via Ethernet (try not to steal Ethernet cables from a | machine); | 2. Reboot your machine `---- http://ucc.asn.au/ ...

Best setup for Linux network with new wireless router
I have a home network with webmail server currently implemented as: Internet -------- Server -------- Internal Network where Server runs Debian with Apache/SSL and and IPTables firewall. (Mail comes down using fetchmail. I have OpenWebmail but require authentication for all access to Apache as I trust its security over OpenWebmail's and it keeps out scans) I've just bought a new Netgear wireless router with firewall in it (WGT624 upgraded to firmware 4). As an aside - it seems to be blocking my outgoing squid requests to upstream proxies (getting around NTL's proxy badness), b...

Web resources about - ftp configuration by xinitd (yast network services) - comp.os.linux.setup

Pusher configuration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a craft with a pusher configuration the propeller (s) are mounted behind their respective engine(s). According to Bill Gunston , a "pusher ...

Facebook Simplifies XCode Configuration, Adds App Events To IOS SDK
Facebook released a new software-development kit for iOS , version 3.6 , the social network announced in a post on its developer blog . continued… ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...

All configurations of Nexus 6p back in stock at Google Store
... variants. Considering the fact the Nexus 6p hasn’t been on the market very long just yet, we wouldn’t be surprised if some of these configurations ...

Killer 5-Day Deal: Free AppleCare with all early-2015 13" MacBook Pros & $119-$200 off custom configurations ...
... free plus instant discounts on all of Apple's standard early-2015 13" MacBook Pros, or save between $119 and $200 on select custom configurations ...