How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive

Hi all,

    I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into
my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and
one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support
external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive.
Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin,
root.bin....etc.

    My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk,
it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the
installation program didn't recognize my USB floppy disk drive because it
didn't load the disk then just return the fail message said that can't mount
the root FS.

    So, how can I do to let the installation program recognize my USB floppy
disk drive?

    And one more question does the Debian Setup Program support PCMCIA
CD-ROM drive to complete installation regularly?

Regards,
Alvin Lau

0
Alvin
8/12/2004 12:15:49 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Toshiba 3500 Tablet, Redhat 9 and external USB drives (CDROM & Maxtor Toshiba 3500 Tablet, Redhat 9 and external USB drives (CDROM & MaxtorOne-Touch harddrive)
I'm running Redhat 9 linux on my Toshiba 3500 tablet. Besides the fact that the IR , MM/SD, and the digitizer/pen aren't working, now the laptop will drop the usb connection after a couple minutes of reading files from it. Attempting to remount the partitition (after a umount) results in an invalid device error. The error is repeated whether I use kernel 2.4.20-8, 2.4.20-27.9, 2.4.20-28.9, or a custom kernel. Any suggestions? dmesg excerpts follow. Lin...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Question:Can I boot from a floppy disk and install Linux from an external USB2.0 Drive
Hi, If I had made a linux file system on external USB2.0 drive then download the latest version of the Linux installation image files on it for friend's brand new machine Linux installtion, is there a specific boot floppy disk with USB driver built in for external USB drive installation. I knew the network boot disk can allow to do that installation on the local area network using the mounting way. But if this brand new machine is just a stand alone machine. If there is a way to do the installation using USB drive, then I can avoid the tedious buring CD image process and...

Using an internal hard drive as an external hard drive
I have 2 internal disks that I have taken out from a PC that has failed me after 6 years of use. I now am using an HP notebook, and I need data from these 2 disks that I wanted to copy to my laptop ... or possibly use these 2 disks as some sort of temporary storage. In my previous work, we had some kind of caddy / container for hard disks, you place the hard disk inside, and it has some minimal wirings to allow you to plug-in power to the hard disk, and some cable to attach for the data ( like the flat ribbon inside the PC ). However, I do not know what this is called and therefore don't...

Maxtor External 3000LS External Hard Drive Installation
Hello, I have a problem that has popped up while I tried to install a Maxtor external hard drive. I cannot get my Windows 98SE to recognize the new drive or I cannot find the hardware that has already been installed by the system. I am not sure which. Background is as follows: I purchased the hard drive for my computer that is running 98SE, but the drive requires a special driver for this operating system. I made the mistake of plugging in the new drive to my USB port before I had the necessary driver for the drive ready to use during the installation. The first time I plugged the drive...

install linux on an external firewire drive
I have googled for two days now. I cannot find a linux distro that can be installed on an external firewire drive without pulling my hair. Firewire has been around since the imac 233 revision b, 2000? Has powerful as linux is I do not understand why it cannot be installed. Why the yaboot cannot be configured? Osx can be installed on anything. ...

Using external USB drives with Linux
I am currently running Fedora Core 3 and want to upgrade to FC 6. I am contenplating getting an external USB (or firewire) drive for backup during the upgrade (and for general backup use). I understand that some external drives come formatted NTFS, but I can deal with that. I would reformat it, probably as vfat, so I could also use it for backup under Windows. As long as my system recognizes the sdisk as a mass storage device, I know what to do. Are there any other potential problems. Are some drives recognizable only by Windows? I am considering an Iomega drive. Any comments ab...

Can Super Duper back up data on external drive to another external drive?
I'm running low on free space on my Imac, so I'm thinking of transferring some of my project files onto an external La Cie drive. Can Super Duper be set to back up the contents of both the Macintosh HD and the project files on an external La Cie drive onto two other external La Cie back-up drives? I can't do this with Snow Leopard, but I wonder if I can do it when I upgrade to Yosemite. I was told by a Mac salesman that I can daisy chain with Yosemite, and that my proposed setup would therefore work. Tom Evans Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote: ...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

External USB drives grab extra drive letters when installed
System: Windows 98SE with the Microsoft USB driver patch, internal drive partitioned to C, D, E Drives: Maxtor 120 mb USB 2.0 ADS 3.5 shell with two different 3.5" drives When either of these external units are connected during bootup, they grab both drive letter D (pushing my internal drive partitions down) and the "later" letter as specified in control panel. This naturally screws up all my software paths. So for example the Maxtor drive appears as both drive D and drive G. When disconnected, the intended drive letter disappears as expected but the D:...

Can I install OS X on an external drive?
Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard drive. In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the installation CD-ROM to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive? dhdowning@aol.com (DhDowning) aszonygya: :Awhile back, I posted a message about creating a bootable external hard drive. :In addition to the method somebody gave me, could I use the installation CD-ROM :to install OS X (Panther) on an external drive? Why not? I run 2 Macs like that [beige G3 towers with external SCSI drives and with OS X 10.2.8]. /PaulN In article <20040614223208....

Installing OS X on an external drive -- size?
As we begin to take our iBook with us on more trips, I begin to be concerned about corrupted fixed disks, so I'm contemplating installing OS X on the little firewire drive we carry along -- I think it's 40GB. How much space does a bootable install take? I want to make sure I have enough useable space left over for the stuff we use the external drive for. -- Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily. In article <3qmzu0vtg...

can i use external hard drive on linux?
Hi: I have an external hard drive. Usually I just plug it into my Microsoft Win= dows 7 computer and it automatically becomes the drive H:\. Then I copy som= e files to the external hard drive. Now I have two Linux Ubuntu computers. I wish to transfer some large files = from one Linux computer to another. (I don't have a large usb flash drive).= So I hope to use the external hard drive as usb flash drive. I am wonderin= g if I can plug it into the Linux computer. I have to mount it, I guess. Thank you. On 12 Aug 2014 in comp.os.linux.misc, newbie2 wrote: > I have an ...

Installing OS X on external Firewire drive. . .
I have an external 80GB Firewire hard drive. I have lots of docuents and stuff backed up on it, and I want to install OS X on it so if anything happens to my internal HD I'll have a temporary replacement. How can I make it so that the OS X install CD will let me install the operating system without erasing everything on the drive? Cory wrote: > I have an external 80GB Firewire hard drive. I have lots of docuents > and stuff backed up on it, and I want to install OS X on it so if > anything happens to my internal HD I'll have a temporary replacement. > How can I make it so...

Jump Drive/external drive
novice question, My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote > novice question, > My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would > I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB. No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something, but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system, its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive. ...

iTunes 7: use of external firewire drive in conjunction with internal drive?
I'm somewhat late to the iPod/iTunes craze, but have had my G4 taking care of the kids' music collections and iPods for a few years. The release of the new 80G iPod has intrigued me. Before I dive in, I'd like to have all of *my* music put onto a large external drive I use in a firewire box with removable trays. The way I look at it, I could keep all of my stuff there and even back it up on another tray drive. When I want to update my own Pod, I would simply tell iTunes to use the other drive instead of the internal, so I'd always be updating my own stuff. I wouldn't have t...

Any external 1GB drives that DON'T use two physical drives?
Now that 1TB 3.5" drives are out, are any of the more reliable companies using them in their external drives? I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They weigh a ton and are huge. Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter. Cheers, Fred. Am 15.10.2007 07:10 Fred Finisterre wrote > I hate my old Lacie 500GB drives that use 2x250GB in a metal case. They > weigh a ton and are huge. > > Any my Formac 500GB is huge AND sounds like a helicopter. Why not just ditch those "Ready-to-Plugin" solutions ...

How to install linux from floppy, without a bootable cdrom drive?
Hi all, I recently acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2300. The bios in this particular machine will only allow me to boot from floppy or hard drive. The CDrom drive is not bootable. It's very frustrating. I tried the Dell forums first, but it seems there is no way to boot from this CDrom. I would like to install linux on it, but can't find any direction on how to do so from a FLOPPY disk. With the size of the linux kernel today, is it still possible to boot from floppy to install linux? I would prefer to install RedHat or Fedora, but any linux flavor would be fine for this mac...

Using an external USB hard drive with OS X
I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD. They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be fornatted NTFS,. Has anyone used these kind of disks with the Mac ? If so how did you format it ? navti <navtis@gmail.com> writes: > I am thinking of buying an external USB Hard Drive from Toshiba or WD. > They both say that Windows is required and the disk should be > fornatted NTFS,. The Mac shoudl mount it up and it should be usable directly, though performance would be much better if (a) you reformatted to HFS+ and (b) if you used Firewi...

external USB drive with i686 linux and Mac OS X.
Hi, all, How can I partition and format an external USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, 1/3 FAT 32 ? Paul On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > How can I partition and format an external > USB drive in three parts: 1/3 HFS+, 1/3 ext3, > 1/3 FAT 32 ? fdisk and mkfs? -- -John (john@os2.dhs.org) John Thompson <john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org> wrote in message news:<slrncc77ss.9af.john@starfleet.os2.dhs.org>... > On 2004-06-06, Paul <plm@lailias.eas.harvard.edu> wrote: > > > How can I partition an...

a question of installing linux operating system on external hard drive
Hi, I am very interested in installing Linux Ubuntu on an external hard drive. = Ideally, I hope that when I plug this HD to my desktop which has Windows 7 = operating system, then I can use Ubuntu to do my programming work and all m= y code, database mysql, Eclipse, Java etc all are installed at the external= hard drive. Then I can unplug it from this desktop and plug into a laptop,= I can continue my work left at Desktop. Is this possible? Desktop hardware and the laptop hardware are different, e.g. video card, wi= fi card etc. So when the external HD is with the desktop and I ...

Using an external drive on OS X & Win XP
Is it possible to partition (and format) an external drive in such a way that the result is 2 partitions. One of the partition I want to be used by Mac OS X and also should be bootable (if possible). The other partition should be usable by Win XP (FAT32 or NTFS), here no need to boot. The external drive has a FireWire and an USB connector. -- gr, Antonio In article <BedenkEensWatLeuks-26FCF6.20224130102003@news.fu-berlin.de>, AnToNio <BedenkEensWatLeuks@NotSoHotMail.com> wrote: :> Is it possible to partition (and format) an external drive in such a way :> that the...

Anyone using rsnapshot with external USB drive? Or SDLT 800 tape drives on CentOS 5?
I'm looking at an rsnapshot backup situation, and rather than buying a big chunk of high-speed, expensive, server class storage, I'm wondering about simply using external USB's and buying several. It's clearly technically feasible: I've been doing so for months, for FTP mirror material. Has anyone done it in a vaguely high performance configuration? Updating about 200 GB of new database material daily, and backing it up to tape? How is the transfer speed on a modest, 2 GHz, 1 GB of RAM server with normal USB 2.0 and a normal tape drive, such as an SDLT 800? In...

How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege?
I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an external parallel port floppy drive with it. I run slackware 10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the floppy drive connected to the parallel port - I assume it looks for it at the standard diskette drive port, which is not the parallel port on this system. Any way to make it work? Gianni gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote: > I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an > external parallel port floppy drive with it. I run slackware > 10.1 wit...

Web resources about - How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive - comp.os.linux.setup

Notebook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to legend, Thomas W. Holley of Holyoke, Massachusetts invented the legal pad around the year 1888 when he innovated the idea to collect ...

Springpad Integrates With Facebook, Allows Users To Organize Likes Into Notebooks
... books, music, and restaurants into one handy timeline box following new Facebook integration features launched Thursday by “smart notebook application” ...

Washington Notebook - News and notes from the halls of Congress, by World-Herald Washington bureau chief ...
News and notes from the halls of Congress, by World-Herald Washington bureau chief Joseph Morton

The Notebook (@PSNotebook) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

JotDot Notebook for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get JotDot Notebook on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Microsoft, Intel: Pac Crest Sees Biggest-Ever Quarterly Notebook PC Drop
Pacific Crest ’s Brent Bracelin , Michael McConnell , and Brendan Barnicle today warns of a “significant” decline in the outlook for the notebook ...

SSuite NoteBook Editor: not just another WordPad replacement
... WordPad replacements then you’ll know they’re usually identikit me-too products with barely any interesting ideas of their own. SSuite NoteBook ...

2016 NFL Draft: Senior Bowl Scouting Notebook for Day 1 - Bleacher Report
MOBILE, Ala. — Braxton Miller was not your typical quarterback-turned-receiver during his first Senior Bowl practice...

Evernote won't be selling products like moleskine notebooks any longer
... is taking its hands off Evernote Market , the online shop that sold Evernote-branded physical products from post-it notes to Moleskine notebooks, ...

Reporter's Notebook: Zika outbreak in Brazil
A discussion on the Zika outbreak in Brazil and what is being done to prevent the virus from continuing to spread