How to setup linux without cdrom?

Hello everyone

I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and
install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing
server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I
remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the
machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm
using red hat. Thanks for your help!

Have a good day!

B.R.

Joffre

0
tech11
6/27/2006 9:11:07 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In comp.os.linux.setup tech11 <tech11@sohu.com>:
> Hello everyone

> I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
> linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and
> install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing
> server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I
> remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the
> machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm
> using red hat. Thanks for your help!

Sure it is possible if your nic is PXE capable, a properly tagged
kernel is delivered on the RH install CDs.

You need dhcp + tftp + (nfs|http|ftp) server. I'd rather suggest
using http then nfs as install repository. Though for a single
system I'd install via floppy if possible, which should be easier
then setting up all stuff for this kind of install.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 221: The mainframe needs to rest.  It's getting
old, you know.
0
Michael
6/27/2006 12:15:58 PM
On 2006-06-27, tech11 <tech11@sohu.com> wrote:
> I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
> linux on it?

First option, take the hd out, install using another machine, put the disk
back in, second opion, see if you can boot from network and use another
machine to boot and run the installer, third option, boot from a USB memory
and install throught the network.

Of course, all this presuppone that you have another machine that you
can use.

Davide

--
Doing things randomly is what Admins do best.
clickety-click
tech11 wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
> linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and
> install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing
> server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I
> remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot
> the machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this?
> I'm using red hat. Thanks for your help!
>
> Have a good day!
>
> B.R.
>
> Joffre

If you have a floppy drive, some distros, like Mandriva, have images that
can boot from floppy then install from one of the distros mirrors over the
internet or off your network installing server.

--

Dan C. Gets caught apparently Plagiarizing:
Message ID: <3ab7l3-tnl.ln1@alta.sierrandays.org>
"tech11" <tech11@sohu.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone
>
> I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
> linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and
> install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing
> server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I
> remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot
the
> machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm
> using red hat. Thanks for your help!
>
> Have a good day!
>
> B.R.
>
> Joffre

What are the spec's/brand/model of the machine on which you want to
do the install?

later....

0
charles
6/27/2006 6:05:00 PM
tech11 wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
> linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and
> install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing
> server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I
> remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the
> machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm
> using red hat. Thanks for your help!

Debian allows you to boot from a floppy disk, insert a second floppy
with a minimal install system, and download the rest from the net. It
assumes you have a not-too-obscure hard disk controller and network
interface (though additional floppies contain drivers for the more
obscure hardware).

I've not used RedHat since 7.2 but it used to have something similar.

If the machine has no floppy drive you need someone more knowledgeable
than me!

Good luck,

CC

0
magnate
6/28/2006 9:41:12 AM
left_coast <void@void.not>:
>  tech11 wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone
> >
> > I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up
> > linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and
> > install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing
> > server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I
> > remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot
> > the machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this?
> > I'm using red hat. Thanks for your help!
>
>  If you have a floppy drive, some distros, like Mandriva, have images that
>  can boot from floppy then install from one of the distros mirrors over the
>  internet or off your network installing server.

fwiw, ditto debian.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
           Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html

Linux, Linux, Linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Why linux is linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] Breaking Linux Myths; Bluetooth Setup Easier in Linux Than in Windows
Linux Truths, Half-Truths, and Myths ,----[ Quote ] | When people find out I run Linux on my computer instead of Windows | or even Mac OS X they sometimes have funny ideas about what it must | be like. Some of it is historical; Linux used to be quite difficult | to administer in its younger days. Some of it is misinformation, | or no information at all. I hope to dispell some of the | misconceptions. `---- http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/03/05/161203.php Bluetooth on Ubuntu - A pleasant surprise ,----[ Quote ] | Windows XP | | 1. Pop in the driver CD of the dongle. Install the dri...

Change a sel-file for an SUSE Linux setup in the directory /suse/setup/descr
I want change the sel-files in the /suse/setup/descr directory, because I want to add a few rpm Packages in my Suse Installation. So, what means this in the sel-files: =Ver: =Sel: +Rec: -Rec: +Req: -Req: =Sum: +Con: -Con: =Cat: =Vis: =Ord: +Ins: -Ins: familiewie@web.de (supernet) wrote in message news:<6c1d6cb9.0502270738.7efd0f65@posting.google.com>... > I want change the sel-files in the /suse/setup/descr directory, > because I want to add a few rpm Packages in my Suse Installation. > > So, what means this in the sel-files: > > =Ver: >...

Is initial Comcast setup on Linux possible without MS-Windows?
Can anyone tell me the magic sequence to get my (new) Comcast Internet service running under Linux without having to boot Windows and run the "Self- Install" software? I do have Windows-98 installed on a spare partition, but it's pretty unhappy with some of the hardware on my new machine. I searched around on Google, but all I could find was reports from people who had done their original setup from a Windows box. Somebody out there must have found the magic incantation. I'd rather not buy the self-install kit at all since it consists mostly of software that won...

Is initial Comcast setup on Linux possible without MS-Windows?
(Sorry about the multi-posting. I didn't think about posting the question here until I has already asked in comp.dcom.modems.cable.) Can anyone tell me the magic sequence to get my (new) Comcast Internet service running under Linux without having to boot Windows and run the "Self- Install" software? I do have Windows-98 installed on a spare partition, but it's pretty unhappy with some of the hardware on my new machine. I searched around on Google, but all I could find was reports from people who had done their original setup from a Windows box. Somebody out there must ha...

Can I setup a dual boot Mac with OS X and Suze Linux?
I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. In article <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bccaaf2@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, commiebastard <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > I know dual boots have been done before with Ubuntu. Yes. Well, if you mean SuSE Linux. Gargle is your fiend. On Apr 8, 5:12=A0am, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote: > In article > <520c8048-e164-4392-a9ac-803f5bcca...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, > > =A0commiebastard <oraclmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I know dual boots have been done before...

Without an admin account, will I be able to setup MPI on several Linux machines?
Hi all, Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert. But they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able to install the MPI and utilize the parallelization? Thanks Mike wrote: > Here I've found a few linux machines that are connected to the Intenert. But > they don't have MPI installed. I don't have admin account. Will I be able to > install the MPI and utilize the parallelization? If you need root access to a Linux machine for testing, just go download a Live CD from somewhere. You can boot off ...

Which Linux OS best for beginner to setup as Web / Mail server / Internet sharer and firewall?
We are a small business with no IT employees and have about 20 Windows ME machines. None of that is subject to change. We are installing a DSL line, and when we do, we want to improve the way our Internet is handled. I am planning to try to set up a server which the DSL will connect to, and will run our web site off the server, as well as automatically get our POP3 emails from our outside accounts, and hold them until our local computers want to see them. It should also share the internet connection and run a firewall. We are only considering no cost versions of Linux for this purpose, an...

Suggestions for Linux setup
Hi, Case:Antec Sonata case (or use cheaper one?) AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.833GHz, 640k Cache, 333MHz) Barton Motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X with 8xAGP/Audio/LAN RAM: Kingston 512 MB PC2700 DDR333 Hard Drive: Seagate 80 GB, Ultra 100, 7200 RPM Video Card: Jaton GeForce4 MX440SE 64 MB AGP (w/TV-Out) ----- Total ~ $470 What does everyone think of this setup? I don't plan to overclock and intend to run somewhat quiet(So the Antec case). This will not be a gaming machine. I'll probably running Eclipse IDE/Java etc. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Looks like a good machine. Ho...

How to do ruby setup on linux?
Hi All, Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Ch Asif wrote: > Hi All, > > Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? > > Thanks Which linux? You can install ruby via the distro you are using. Or you can install from source. Daniel -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Daniel Bush wrote: > Ch Asif wrote: >> Hi All, >> >> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux? >> >> Thanks > > Which linux? > You can install ruby via the distro you are us...

setup LAN with Linux?
I have a high-end Linux box, a WinXP box and a piece of crap linux laptop on my LAN using static private IPs behind a dsl router (192.168.x.x etc). Samba allows both linux cpus access to the XP box but the linux boxes won't see or share files with each other. I think NFS should be used for the linux machines to share files, but I have no clue what to use to set that up. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on both machines. How do I do this? -- I'm a total dork married to a total hottie!! bznutz at sarcastic-bastard dot com bznutz <gettinbusy@yourwifeshouse.com> wrote: .... > ...

Linux setup problem.
Hi. I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but I can't seem to get the video card to work. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 on an EMC monitor, and Linux installer can't detect a suitable mode for the display. Everything works just fine on my Win XP OS. The Linux installer runs XFree86 v4.3, and I think this one is most up to date. Any suggestions will be much appreciated? Thank you. Ilian scribbled: > Hi. > I have tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my machine at home, but > I can't seem to get the video card to work. > I have an...

RedHat Linux setup
I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ? Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks. Regards, Daniel On 28 Sep 2003 09:41:52 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote: > I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from CD like Windows ? Usually, a new install is from booting the cd. The installer takes over from there. > Does Linux command same as Unix ? Thanks. Depends on the command. If you mean Linux pretty close to the uxix commands like ls, grep, ps, sed, ..... yes. Daniel Tan wrote: > I'm a begineer in Linux. Can Linux setup run from ...

Linux Monitor Setup
I recently installed Linux - Ubuntu . I have followed thru on the setup but prob choose the wrong monitor resolution .. pls help .. what do i do now?? ** I am not familiar with that distribution or XorgConfig. Go to a text console CTRL+ALT+function Key "usually F1-F6" /etc/X11/XF86Config or Xorg.config As root edit your: /etc/X11/XF86Config In the Monitor Section make sure the HorizSync 30-70 VertRefresh 50-160 are correct for your monitor. Walt R. ** On 24 Feb 2005 08:00:01 -0800, ebrahimbandookwala@gmail.com <ebrahimbandookwala@g...

Mail setup for Linux
all, I am setting a system up in a Lab for our company to decide on a Mail server....here are the specs. We have 60 users and that's not likely to grow. We have a domain and static IP address the MX record points to mail.mydomain.org with the registrar for DNS We need to for our users to use Outlook Express or 3rd party clients on the road or at home Which RPM package would be best to try and configure?....do any come with GUI tools to configure ? many thanks for any input. -- Rich........ _______________________________________________________________________________ Posted...

DOS to Linux Setup
I just came from the Redhat.com website in an attempt to learn how to make a bootable floppy/CD from which to install Linux to learn UNIX. Unfortuaneately the site doesn't recognise the possibility that someone may want the dos/windows versions of the unix commands to do this. Here what I have: P3-500Mhz FDisked system 10 Gb HD w/ CD DOS bootdisk w/ CD drivers Complete set of Redhat 9.0 CDs burnt from a download from MUN (not formatted with system files). Here's what I need: The non-unix instructions to create a bootable floppy / CD that the autoboot will recognis...

Linux Setup on PDA
Hello to everyone. I have a question for you. I bought an HP iPaq rx3700 and I would like to install linux on it. I would want to know if it can be done and , if yes, how I can do this... Thanks in advance. On 2006-02-11, Cesare Atticus <mirko.lucchese@gmail.com> wrote: > I bought an HP iPaq rx3700 and I would like to install linux on it. > I would want to know if it can be done and , if yes, how I can do See on www.handhelds.org Davide -- The more we disagree, the more chance there is that at least one of us is right. ...

Setup adsl in linux
Hi, i need to setup adsl internet connection in red hat linux 7.3 . I setup the xDSL connection in control panel but how do i dial or enable it ? Pls advise how to setup internet. Thanks Rgds Daniel On 2005-01-11, danieltan@time.net.my <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote: > Hi, i need to setup adsl internet connection Good, read the dsl-howto. Davide -- "It's 806 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of coffee, half a fsckload of Y2K crap, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it". --adb On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:40:19 -0800, danieltan wr...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

Web resources about - How to setup linux without cdrom? - comp.os.linux.setup

Blake Shelton Reacts To Gwen Stefani’s ‘Make Me Like You’
Blake Shelton’s girlfriend, Gwen Stefani, debuted her live music video for “Make Me Like You,” the latest single off her new album, This Is What ...

Sri Srinivasan Shortlisted To Replace Supreme Court’s Scalia Found Dead With Pillow Over His Head
Judge Sri Srinivasan of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, could replace Supreme Court Associate Justice ...

Russia denies claims its warplanes struck a hospital in Syria
BEIRUT — Russia on Tuesday rebuffed claims that its warplanes struck a hospital supported by Doctors Without Borders in northern Syria in airstrikes ...

Video: Samsung Mobile President Shares His Vision for Galaxy S7 and 2016
Samsung’s new President of Mobile Communications, Dongjin Koh, sat down with Samsung Newsroom to go over his vision for the Galaxy S7 , as well ...

Saudis and Russia agree oil output freeze, Iran still an obstacle
Reuters Saudis and Russia agree oil output freeze, Iran still an obstacle Reuters DOHA Top oil exporters Russia and Saudi Arabia agreed on ...

Apple Pay coming to China on February 18th, but faces stiff competition
Apple Pay, Apple's mobile wallet platform, will launch in China on February 18th. The service will launch for customers of Industrial and Commercial ...

Bataclan survivor faces down his demons to see Eagles of Death Metal
Since that awful night in November that jihadist gunmen stormed the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, Alexis has not been able to go into a cinema ...

LG details its mid-range Stylus 2 in advance of Mobile World Congress
LG isn’t waiting for the start of Mobile World Congress to show off the company’s newest stylus-friendly phone. The Stylus 2 won’t necessarily ...

Oh Look Eliot Spitzer Is Involved in Another Prostitute Scandal
From prostitution scandals we came and to prostitution scandals we shall return as disgraced former governor Eliot Spitzer tries to spin whatever ...

UK children are less happy than those in Algeria, Romania and Poland and only youngsters in Ethiopia ...
Young people across the world took part in the survey by Children's Worlds, with the UK ranking 13th when it came to life satisfaction, according ...