How to use the floppy drive under linux?

I just installed the red hat 9, how to use the floppy drve?

How to read floppy disk files in MSDOS format?

Thanks!
0
kff
11/29/2004 7:02:30 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

kff <kff281@safe-mail.net> writes:

]I just installed the red hat 9, how to use the floppy drve?

]How to read floppy disk files in MSDOS format?

mtools
mcopy, mdir,...

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

0
unruh
11/29/2004 7:22:57 AM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:02:30 +0800, kff wrote:
> I just installed the red hat 9, how to use the floppy drve?
>
> How to read floppy disk files in MSDOS format?

If you loaded the mtools package

mdir, mcopy, mcd, mdel.....

another method
mkdir /mnt/floppy
mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
ls /mnt/floppy
umount /mnt/floppy

For extra points
    man mount
    man umount
    man fstab

Fstab entry example:
/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy  auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
0
Bit

Linux, Linux, Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

[News] [Linux] Another Wireless Solution Uses Linux-based OS
Aerohive Courts Controller-less WiFi ,----[ Quote ] | One startup is trying to get rid of the controller to save customers | some important dollars. | | [...] | | Aerohive's cooperative control access point is called the HiveAP 20 | ag and runs HiveOS on top of standard hardware and a standard Linux | kernel. . Flynn explained that HiveOS is based on Linux, with | Aerohive sprinkling in some features for good measure. `---- http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3676391 ...

[News] [Linux] Linux on Indy 500 Car, Ferrari Uses Linux
Tux500: Intentions Clarified - Battle Lines Drawn ,----[ Quote ] | Monday and Tuesday of this week, the track is closed, so we won't have | a lot of news to report. But Wednesday, the track re-opens, and we | should be able to see what kind of progress has been made on the car setup. `---- http://tux500.com/geeklog/article.php?story=20070514083625638 Ferrari UK Accelerates to Lower IT Costs With Trustix Linux Solutions ,----[ Quote ] | Ferrari UK has chosen Trustix and IBM to incorporate additional Linux | based solutions into its IT infrastructure. `---- http://www.zdnet.fr/livres-bl...

How Linux users use Linux
There's a troll here, who doesn't use Linux but is constantly whining about too much choice in the Linux world. He whines about all the distributions and a lack of a "consistent UI." He also gripes about Gnome and KDE and how they supposedly don't get along. Unlike him, I actually use Linux. I use Linux Mint Mate. For the most part I use the applications that come with it. If I'm using a KDE application, I don't know it. As a matter of fact, I purposely avoid loading KDE applications because 1) There's probably a Mate (Gnome) application avail...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

[News] [Linux] 11 Reasons to Use Linux and Another Linux Success Story
11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux. | Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows. | Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gnumeric, | K3B, Beryl, gdesklets, and MythTV. I know this is a chicken-and-egg | point, where Windows has the exact same situation. Too often I hear | "I can't switch to Linux because it doesn?t run [insert Windows | software]". My reason for pointing it out is just to make it clear | that this is a two-way street. `---- http://www.andersmoen.com/2007/05/21/11-reasons-to-use-linux-instead-of-windows/ Computer whiz kid reaches out to the world ,----[ Quote ] | "One day, I keyed in his user name, Firewing1, and found 10,000 postings | from people around the world asking him how to do things. I knew he | was into computers and was talking to people, but I didn't know the | extent to which he was known for troubleshooting. I thought maybe 80 | or 100 people were using the program he'd created. I didn't know | it was hundreds of thousands." `---- http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/business/story.html?id=b31f9498-be10-40d0-a5ec-e4375f73e4f8&k=10665 Related: Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows. ,----[ Quote ] | # Update every single piece of software on my system with a single | action... | | # Update nearly everything on my computer without a ...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...

[News] VoIP Startup Uses Linux; Truphone Uses Linux
Mobile Phones VoIP services start-up uses Open-Source Technology ,----[ Quote ] | Recently, I came across a start-up company offering VoIP services for | mobile phones. Apparently, they have built the service using almost | exclusively open-source technology, such as Asterisk PBX, Debian | GNU/Linux and MySQL. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/85666/index.html There's also this one: ,----[ Quote ] | Truphone is the world's first software only network operator - the few | pieces of hardware we need we buy online from the same well-known | manufacturers as everyone else. No...

[News] Everyone Uses Linux, 25% of All Smartphones Use Linux
The inadvertent Linux user ,----[ Quote ] | Linux is deployed in more than 25 per cent of smartphones, and is second only | in popularity to the Symbian operating system (OS) in that market. `---- http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/121037/the-inadvertent-linux-user.html These are definitely some *new* figures... Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > The inadvertent Linux user > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Linux is deployed in more than 25 per cent of smartphones, and is second only >| in popularity to the Symbian operating system (OS) in that market. > ...

[News] [Linux] Company Favours the Use of Linux; Another Major Game Ported to Linux
KLA-Tencor's New LithoWare Tool Gives Designers Advanced RET/OPC Capabilities... ,----[ Quote ] | Operating in a Linux environment allows LithoWare to distribute | huge volumes of simulations across a large number of computers, | giving engineers the ability to perform advanced computational | lithography and explore an extended set of process parameters | that would not be possible on individual PCs or with other tools | without a major re-calibration effort for each change. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070530005220&...

[News] [Linux] MLDesigner Extended to 64-bit Linux, RadiSys Uses Linux in Its Solutions
MLDesigner Gets Improved Memory Management ,----[ Quote ] | MLDesigner 2.7 adds support for 64-bit Linux operating | systems, which can control significantly more memory | than 32-bit Linux operating systems. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/88247/index.html RadiSys Introduces Groundbreaking Convedia Software Media Server ,----[ Quote | New Linux-based, multi-core optimized IP media processing solution | addresses needs of enterprise VoIP, ATCA, and IMS markets `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/88247/index.html Related: Radisys Introduces Enhanced Development Envi...

Using Linux and People Going Linux
I use Ubuntu 8.04 I like using it. I love how much faster it boots. And a lot of the bugs of a few years ago seem to be resolved. Here is the big problem. It takes getting used to. You know how to do stuff on Windows. You have to learn how and where all that stuff is. This is a big deal. Somebody almost has to want to go linux. I think that big problem with linux nuts, is that, they say it does everything, perfectly. They would be a lot better off just say, "It has a lot of cool programs that work just a bit differently." but "Hang with us and we will get you through i...

Newbie to Linux questions on what Linux to use
I have acquired a PC to install Linux on. Older machine, Pentium II with about 250 MB RAM What Linux system can I use on it? Is there a smaller, minimalist version just in case my machine is not up to spec? Thanks Matt * Groucho wrote in comp.os.linux.misc: > I have acquired a PC to install Linux on. > > Older machine, Pentium II with about 250 MB RAM > > What Linux system can I use on it? > > Is there a smaller, minimalist version just in case my machine is not > up to spec? > > Thanks > > Matt > > It wont be up to Spec for most curren...

[News] Air Force Uses GNU/Linux, MITRE uses GNU/Linux Too

Linux is free...Nobody is using Linux...Why?
So why is virtually nobody using Linux if it is so damm good? Linux is free? OpenOfffice is free? So why is Linux's market share still less than 1 percent? Something is wrong here..... Johann Frick wrote: > So why is virtually nobody using Linux if it is so damm good? > > Linux is free? > > OpenOfffice is free? > > So why is Linux's market share still less than 1 percent? > > Something is wrong here..... Reporting is wrong. 3/4ths of the earth's population uses Linux. The 1/4 that you read; doesn't tell you the truth. Because Bill has to...

[News] [Linux] Storage Appliance Uses Linux and Wins Praises; Newer Linux-based TV is Coming
Backups again - Bacula ,----[ Quote ] | Just a quick note to mention how impressed I have been with my current | backup solution, Bacula (using an Overland Neo2000 tape library, which | also does the job nicely). `---- http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/backups_again_bacula.html Mythbuntu 7.04 Public Alpha 1 ,----[ Quote ] | After lots of hard work the past month, the Mythbuntu team is | proud to present our first publicly announced Alpha. `---- http://www.mythbuntu.org/node/10 ...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Second Life Uses 2,000 Debian Linux Servers; The Film 300 Used Linux
Inside Second Life's Data Centers ,----[ Quote ] | Second Life runs on 2,000 Intel and AMD servers in two co-location | facilities in San Francisco and Dallas. The company has a commitment | to open source, with servers running Debian Linux and the MySQL | database. Linden Lab chose Debian Linux because the software is | suited to scaling massively with a small IT staff, said Linden | Lab CTO Cory Ondrejka. `---- http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800179 Trivia for 300 (2006) ,----[ Quote ] | The filmmakers prefer Macintosh, but large portions of the movie...

[NEWS] Linux based routers *wormed* and the Linux desktop and servers are suppose to be secure? Not if humans beings created it and use it that Linux is secure -- noway.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/psyb0t_home_networking_worm/ <copied> Vulnerable devices include any home router or modem that uses Linux Mipsel, has an administration interface, sshd, or telnet in a DMZ, and employs a weak password. Once the malware takes hold, it locks legitimate users out of the device by blocking telnet, sshd, and web access. It then makes the devices part of a botnet. The researchers said they first learned of the worm while investigating DDoS attacks that hit DroneBL's infrastructure two weeks ago. <end copy> Inspector Thumper wrote: &g...

Web resources about - How to use the floppy drive under linux? - comp.os.linux.setup

Floppy disk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A floppy disk , or diskette , is a disk storage medium composed of a disk of thin and flexible magnetic storage medium, sealed in a rectangular ...

Floppy Frog on the App Store on iTunes
Get Floppy Frog on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

USB Floppy - a set on Flickr
... itself was stuffed into something the size of a stack of business cards, and my thought was to try and cram those same innards into a floppy ...

Stairway to Heaven (On floppy and HDD) - YouTube
New cover: Stairway to heaven from Led Zeppelin I had some battery problems with my camera. So at the moment I used an other one, I prefer the ...

Why so many domesticated mammals have floppy ears
Take a look at several domesticated mammal species and you might spot a number of similarities between them, including those cute floppy ears. ...

'He was floppy, like he was dead'
'He was floppy, like he was dead'

George Bailey says yellow wide-brimmed floppy hat will be as iconic as baggy green
George Bailey has declared the canary yellow wide-brimmed floppy hat is here to stay and believes it could even become as iconic as the baggy ...

YouTube - Musical Floppy Drives - Computerphile
Veröffentlicht am 24.05.2013 Floppy disk drives make sweet music, well, tuneful noises anyway. You might have seen them on YouTube before, but ...

$259 Smartphone receipt printer? Can I get a smartphone Floppy Drive too?!
This ‘Little Printer’ thing is making the rounds today (right). It is a cute $259 (plus $30 shipping to US) Cloud printer that prints on a receipt-size ...

Adventures in Floppy Disk Transfers
... you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it? The same might be said for technology. One day I was saving files to floppy ...