I have 40GB Hard drive, RH Linux installed, how can I install two more flavors?

I have 40GB HD, I installed RH Linux, I need to install Debian anb
SuSE, How can I partition the current disk for two more flavors,
appreciated for commands and help.
0
santa19992000
11/27/2004 8:18:19 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Santa wrote:

> I have 40GB HD, I installed RH Linux, I need to install Debian anb
> SuSE, How can I partition the current disk for two more flavors,
> appreciated for commands and help.

.... use the partitioning tools during the install
process for those
--
<<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
Slang is language that takes off its coat,

0
mjt
11/27/2004 8:35:41 PM
mjt <mjtobler@removethis_mail.ru> writes:

]Santa wrote:

]> I have 40GB HD, I installed RH Linux, I need to install Debian anb
]> SuSE, How can I partition the current disk for two more flavors,
]> appreciated for commands and help.

You do not say how you partitioned the disk in the first place.

Wipe the disk.
place three partitions, each of size 5GB, which will be the / directories
of each ofthe three distros. Make the rest of the disk into one partition
which you can call /common
Into /common you will place home, and othr common stuff.
Then install each of the distros into their partition. Afterwards, do
mv /home /home.old
mkdir /common/home
ln -s /common/home /home
mv /home.old/* /common/home

]... use the partitioning tools during the install
]process for those
]--
]<<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
]Slang is language that takes off its coat,
]spits on its hands, and goes to work.

0
unruh

Toshiba 2500CDS hard drive install and/or linux install help
I've been compelled to make use of a Toshiba 2500CDS. I am now trying to put in a hard disk from another computer. The Windows XP screen comes up, and then the black friendly "Welcome to Windows" screen, and it seems to have just loaded "agp440", but then we get a blue screen telling us that the hard drive is corrupt. Tecnical information *** STOP: 0x00000007B (0xfd58e640 0xc000034, 0, 0) What do I need to do? Something with the BIOS settings? Before this, I was trying to install Linux on the Toshiba and I got: > [17180006.540000] toshoboe: 0xffe0 could not...

Format Hard Drive for Linux ONLY OS Install
How do I partition and format for a Linux only OS(no dual boot) Install? Thanx, Rick On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:57:54 -0400, Windwood wrote: > How do I partition and format for a Linux only OS(no dual boot) Install? > Thanx, > Rick You can use fdisk. See the Partition HOWTO for detailed information. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/index.html -- Thomas D. Shepard Sorry, you can't email me. (Email address is fake.) On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:57:54 -0400, Windwood <ricrac@fuse.net> wrote: > How do I partition and format for a Linux only OS(no d...

Installed new hard drive, OS X installer doesn't see hard drive when selecting "destination".
....but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the new drive. Thanks! Jim G4 PowerBook in article 4671E5AF.F1447950...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

New Hard Drive -- Can one transfer data from a previous Eudora installation onto a new installation on the new drive?
Just installed a new Hard Drive which is now the Master, and re-installed Eudora 3.0 (yes it's old but it works just fine for me). My old drive (now the slave) contains all my previous settings (i.e, address book & saved messages. Can one gracefully transfer this information into the new installation. For example, is it a matter of simply copying certain files from the old drive to the new one? If so, what files? Thanks in advance Yves Thomas wrote: > Just installed a new Hard Drive which is now the Master, and > re-installed Eudora 3.0 (yes it's old but i...

Installing Linux on a USB Hard drive
I am buying a Laptop and want to know if it is possible to Install Linux on an external USB Hard drive ? As anyone ever tried doing this ? Mc Spooney wrote: > I am buying a Laptop and want to know if it is possible to > Install Linux on an external USB Hard drive ? .... yes > As anyone ever tried doing this ? ....yes, successfully. google for answers -- << http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/ >> First Law of Socio-Genetics: Celibacy is not hereditary. ...

linux askmethod, install from hard drive
On a dual boot system, linux can be downloaded to a FAT32 partition, and then just one cd is burned. "linux askmethod" can be used to find the .iso images on the FAT32 partition. how would that be done with solaris? not eager to burn 5 (?) cd's, one is more than enough. thanks, Thufir ...

Installation Error. OS/2 can't operate the hard drive or diskette drive
Hi, I want to install OS/2 Warp 4.56 on a laptop Toshiba Tecra S5 or Panasonic CF-52. Both of these computers have the following controllers: Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Stora Controller I built an installation diskette (Number 1) with the following drivers: Danis506 v1.8.1 (in replacement of IBM1S506) Danis144 (in replacement of OS2DASD) The config.sys is: set copyfromfloppy=1 set saveconnect=1 buffers=32 pauseonerror=yes iopl=yes memman=swap,delayswap protshell=sysinst1.exe set os2_shell=cmd.exe diskcache=D2,LW protectonly=yes libpath=.;\;\o...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

Creation of a Software Installation Package which can be installed on all Linux Distributions
Hi, does anybody has some experience concerning the creation of file set (RPM, Debian, tar files) which can be installed and executed on all Linux distributions? The creation of RPM or Debian files are not difficult to master but I would like to know how to deal with share libraries. Is there a way to put all needed libraries into the package? Is it always necessary to build the file set on the targeted distribution? Thanks for your answers. ------------------------------------------ CoverageMeter Software Factory > Code Coverage Tool for C/C++ <...

installing linux on a brand new hard drive
I'm building my own pc and want to run linux on it rather than windows. This is going to have a brand new hard drive in it that has never had any sort of os on it before. I was wondering how i would install linux (and which version would be the best for this) directly onto the hdd. All the installation guides i've looked at have talked about partitioning from windows, but as i'm not gonna have windows on it i wondered how to do it. The pc will be in an asus pundit-r case, with a celeron d 2.4ghz processor, a 120gb maxtor hard drive and 512 mb of crucial pc3200 RAM. There is an as...

XP and Linux installation on seperate hard drives
Please forgive me if this is already answered, I just don't even know where to begin in searching the threads. I have WinXP installed on a new 160 Gig HD. I have my former 20 Gig HD available. I have never tried Linux before, but am interested in learning. I have researched the question of dual booting, but it appears that I need to repartition, etc. the NTFS drive to make Grub or Lilo work. I am also afraid that if my wife encounters the dual boot prompt, her head will just explode. (Non-Techie) I want to install a Linux distribution on the 20 gig HD and manually switch the drives (if neccesary) either through BIOS or manually opening the case so I can experiment and learn. Now Question 1 Can I install Linux this way? Question 2 (Not an intentional arguement starter) What is a simple flavor of Linux for a newbie to cut his teeth on? Use is solely as a home desktop I need Office-like functionality. I curently use Openoffice and Mozilla Firefox for Windows. Any suggestions? Spot wrote: > Please forgive me if this is already answered, I just don't even know > where to begin in searching the threads. > > I have WinXP installed on a new 160 Gig HD. I have my former 20 Gig HD > available. > > I have never tried Linux before, but am interested in learning. I have > researched the question of dual booting, but it appears that I need to > repartition, etc. the NTFS drive to make Grub or Lilo w...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)
In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder, I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux movement after all. For a minute. Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to go about insta...

Installing Linux from within Linux?
Seriously. I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to the latter). Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner), and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices. So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the Debian install itself. Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over memory if they want!) (My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though) cheers Jules Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd > like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to > the latter). > > Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it > reads commercial CDs fine, ...

Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?
I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Thanks! marslee@hotmail.com wrote: > IS there any good website for beginner? > Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? > Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Hi marslee, if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compiles itself on your machine, but forget the "optimized-system-gives-3%-performance-gain" aspect, i love it because it works smooth and is easy to maintain. e.g., software install or complete system update takes you exactly one command. each. documentation is very good, step-by step, and there are also wiki's and how-to's. if gentoo is not your thing, you can always resort to suse (fool-proof install; but updating means reinstall and gettings things like dvd play to work is a real pain in the y'know) or knoppix (save your /home and settings to a usb-stick; runs from live cd). HTH, florian (gentoo-noob) ah yeah, system requirement for a non-graphical linux is like *486 cpu and stuff, so if your box is newer than three years, it should do fine. <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119510779.706073.70580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups...

Installer won't install OS X on new hard drive
I have a new hard drive installed in my G4 Powerbook. I went through the erase process with Disk Utility (which I guess is the way to format or initialize a new HD) and partitioned it also. Now when I select a partition to install as a "destination", it says "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume." Great, so I go to "Change startup disk" and it doesn't give the hard drive as an option because it doesn't have any OS on it! This is crazy. Thanks much for any help. Jim Salut Jim In article...

[News] Video Proves That Linux Installation Easier Than OS X, Vista Installation
Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX, | and Ubuntu. `---- http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI Very recent items that support this: Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps ,----[ Quote ] | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on | Windows or the Mac OS. | | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they&...

installing Linux RH 9.0 as the 3rd OS
Presently my P3-500mhz laptop is installed with win98se and winxp. It has a 40gb hard drive. Win98se is installed in primary partition (FAT32) c: and winXP in the secondary partition (FAT32), logical drive d: c: has about 17gb, d: about 8gb and e: (also FAT32) about 9gb free space. If I start RH 9.0 installation from the CD what will happen? Do I have to delete logical drive e: first before I start the installation.........since Linux cannot read FAT32? What is the equivalent drive representation for c: d: e: in Linux. And after I have finished installing RH 9.0 will there be a choice menu a...

Move a Linux installation from hard drive to USB stick
Hello I would like to move an existing Linux installation from a hard drive (the swap on /dev/hda1 and the rest on /dev/hda2) to a USB stick. I boot a another Linux system living on /dev/sda, so no partition on hda is mounted. What steps need to be taken? I tried this: 1. Create two partitions on the USB stick with fdisk, at least as big as the partitions on hda1 and hda2. Now there are two partitions sdf1 and sdf2 on the USB stick. sdf1 will be swap space, so I set sdf2 as boot partition. 2. Use dd to copy the partition from the hard drive to the USB stick. dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/sdf2 con...

can I install OS from a bootable DVD from within linux?
Is there a way to boot off a DVD by copying files to an exisitng Linux OS? I have a bootable DVD for installing an OS (ok, I'll fess up. It's WinServer :-( ). We need to test an install. I have a large bunch of Linux machines that we installed via PXE but unfortunately none has a DVD-player except a master-server. I opened the DVD on the master and copied all its files to a cross mounted NFS share that can be accessed from all servers. I can see the setup.exe and the autorun etc. But can I somehow make this "run"? i.e. will an OS allow itself to be cannibalised by an...

Can I setup network installation server to install a new OS image with mirrored LV?
Hi I have a question regarding AIX (NIM) HP-UX ( IGNIT-UX), or Jumpstar ..... Can I configure the boot server in such way that when you push the boot image to a new server, the installation will do logical volume mirroring for you? is there an configuration file for LVM? and how to do so. for example for NIM, and IGNITE-UX or Jumpstar? Thanks everybody Andrew Xu ...

a question of installing linux operating system on external hard drive
Hi, I am very interested in installing Linux Ubuntu on an external hard drive. = Ideally, I hope that when I plug this HD to my desktop which has Windows 7 = operating system, then I can use Ubuntu to do my programming work and all m= y code, database mysql, Eclipse, Java etc all are installed at the external= hard drive. Then I can unplug it from this desktop and plug into a laptop,= I can continue my work left at Desktop. Is this possible? Desktop hardware and the laptop hardware are different, e.g. video card, wi= fi card etc. So when the external HD is with the desktop and I ...

pb hard drive when installing linux on a Sun Blade 1000
Hi, I have a problem. I try to install linux debian on a Sun Blade 1000 using the netboot. The installation launch successfully but it doesn't find the hard drive disk. It's strange because the hard drive is an IDE... Thank you for your help. On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:12:01 -0700, developperVB <gcharhon@sentinelbox.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a problem. > I try to install linux debian on a Sun Blade 1000 using the netboot. > The installation launch successfully but it doesn't find the hard > drive disk. > It's strange because the hard drive is an ...

Web resources about - I have 40GB Hard drive, RH Linux installed, how can I install two more flavors? - comp.os.linux.setup

Pre-installed software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bundled software is another name for pre-installed software, as pre-installed are all bundled with a hardware device of some kind. However, bundled ...

REPORT: Facebook Home Can Be Installed On All Android Devices Running 4.0 And Up
The good news: Facebook Home can now be run on all Android devices running version 4.0 of the mobile operating system or higher, even if they ...

CPU fan installed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Garrette's photos on Flickr. Garrette has uploaded 3652 photos to Flickr.

Gay-friendly traffic lights installed in Vienna - YouTube
Keep up-to-date with the latest news, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/AFP-subscribe Several pedestrian crossings in Vienna are showing symbols ...

Chris Gayle posts photos of strip club installed in his own house
... his party lifestyle off the cricket field, but the West Indian has gone to a whole new level by showing off the new "strip club" he has installed ...

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

Giant Gollum installed at airport ahead of Hobbit film
A 12 metre-long sculpture carved using robotics and chainsaws has been installed at Wellington Airport ahead of The Hobbit premiere.