install linux without floppy and cdrom

I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook.
It does not have internal floppy and cdrom,
just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom
but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives.

Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom?
I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly?

0
bolero92
1/4/2005 1:00:19 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

<bolero92@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook.
> It does not have internal floppy and cdrom,
> just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom
> but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives.
>
> Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom?
> I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly?

One thing you can do is to move the HD to another laptop ( or regular PC
with a special cable ) and install the files needed for installation from
network.

Some hints here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/40/2004/04/4/172968

0
Conny
1/4/2005 3:41:07 PM
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:00:19 -0800, bolero92 wrote:

> I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook.
> It does not have internal floppy and cdrom,
> just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom
> but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives.
>
> Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom?
> I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly?

This is tricky without a floppy or a cdrom.  I assume you mean you have
misplaced your drives; that they are physically lost.

What OS does your laptop boot into now?  If it is Windows 95, then you
could boot to safe mode and load a kernel with loadlin.  Do you want to
entirely replace your existing drive's OS with linux?  That is going to
be tricky with just one drive- you'll need to get it right the first
time.  Because of the complication of no floppy and no cdrom, you could be
left with a totally unstartable system if you make a mistake.  It doesn't
sound like a "good first project" for someone just wanting to check out
linux for the fun of it.

A better option is to take the drive out of the laptop and install it on
another computer. 2.5" laptop drives can be connected to a desktop with
an adapter (if you have one.) You could install linux on the laptop's
drive while installed on the other computer, then reinstalled in the
Fujitsu.  There could be some configuration settings which will need to be
adjusted (for differences in hardware), depending on which distribution
you install.

If you want to try installing using the laptop with the single
drive, then before proceeding, read the manual very carefully:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Loadlin+Win95-98-ME.html

There are probably a few more "manuals" that you should know, too.  This
isn't a project for the faint of heart.

I wrote this a while ago:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.redhat/msg/d5984058900aae1c

--
Gabor: Past 40, knife-throwing becomes erratic.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0144201/
Douglas Mayne <doug@slackware-3.localnet> wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:00:19 -0800, bolero92 wrote:
>
> > I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook.
> > It does not have internal floppy and cdrom,
> > just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom
> > but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives.
> >
> > Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom?
> > I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly?
> >
> This is tricky without a floppy or a cdrom.  I assume you mean you have
> misplaced your drives; that they are physically lost.

Coincidentally, I just did it over the new year. My home server has no
floppy, and I accidentally booted it without checking the boot sector
(in the 222 days since the last reboot I had moved things around
somewhat and forgot to update the boot sector). The only boot cd was in
my office, and I wasn't going out to fetch it!

Took a few hours to figure, but I booted it via PXE DHCP TFTP
wake-on-lan and the wireless card in my portable.

> I wrote this a while ago:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.redhat/msg/d5984058900aae1c

Ask and I'll say how. I would have simply added an extra floppy or ide
disk if I had had one handy!

Peter
0
ptb
1/4/2005 4:26:24 PM
bolero92@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook.
> It does not have internal floppy and cdrom,
> just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom
> but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives.
>
> Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom?
> I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly?

Long - but straight forward. Need something like Knoppix LiveCD
for this method.

Take out the disk do this in a different laptop or PC with
brackets for 2.5" drives.
Partition the drive into two partitions.

You can do a Knoppix compressed disk install.
This is just under 700Mb.
(You have to google the faqs on how to do that.
Come back if you get stuck.)
The compressed image will boot if you have 128Mb RAM
and autoconfigure for your laptop every time.

Now you can put disk back to the original
laptop, do boot up again, and then do the full
knoppix install to another partition while installed
in the Fujitsu laptop. This way you don't have to
worry about setting up all the configuration files
for knoppix. Also, if your knoppix install gets broken,
you can always boot with the compressed knoppix
and re-install again. I would also use it for backing
up the non-compressed partitions through the network.

bolero92@yahoo.com writes:

> I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook.
> It does not have internal floppy and cdrom,
> just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom
> but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives.
>
> Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom?
> I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly?

I wrote a document answering this exact question:

"Install GNU/Linux without any CD, floppy, USB-key, nor any other
removable media"
<http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html>

Featuring instructions and pointers for:

Debian woody
Debian testing (sarge)
Mandrake
Red Hat Fedora Core
Slackware
SuSE Linux
Gentoo

Feedback welcome.

0
marc

Linux, Linux, Linux

How to install linux from floppy, without a bootable cdrom drive?
Hi all, I recently acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2300. The bios in this particular machine will only allow me to boot from floppy or hard drive. The CDrom drive is not bootable. It's very frustrating. I tried the Dell forums first, but it seems there is no way to boot from this CDrom. I would like to install linux on it, but can't find any direction on how to do so from a FLOPPY disk. With the size of the linux kernel today, is it still possible to boot from floppy to install linux? I would prefer to install RedHat or Fedora, but any linux flavor would be fine for this mac...

How to setup linux without cdrom?
Hello everyone I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm using red hat. Thanks for your help! Have a good day! B.R. Joffre In comp.os.linux.setup tech11 <tech11@sohu.com>: > Hello everyone > I have one machine with neither cdrom driver nor OS, how should I set up > linux on it? If there's one windows os, I may copy the ISO files into and > install from H.D, but I don't have. If I set up one network installing > server, and install from network, I need to run from cdrom firstly. I > remember it's possible to setup one nfs installing server and then boot the > machine from network to set up operating system, does linux do this? I'm > using red hat. Thanks for your help! Sure it is possible if your nic is PXE capable, a properly tagged kernel is delivered on the RH install CDs. You need dhcp + tftp + (nfs|http|ftp) server. I'd rather suggest using http then nfs as install repository. Though for a single system I'd install via floppy if possible, which should be easier...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Installing Linux on a Notebook without a floppy disk
Hello, I plan to install Linux (Suse 9.0) on my Medion Notebook MD6200. This notebook comes without a floppy disk. Unfortunately it is strongly recommended to create a boot disk for lilo. How have you come around? Thanx for your help. cu. BB wrote: > I plan to install Linux (Suse 9.0) on my Medion Notebook MD6200. This > notebook comes without a floppy disk. Unfortunately it is strongly > recommended to create a boot disk for lilo. How have you come around? If it can boot from a CD, do that. If it want to create rescue floppies, skip the step. If your laptop can boot from a CD, ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?
I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Thanks! marslee@hotmail.com wrote: > IS there any good website for beginner? > Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? > Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Hi marslee, if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compiles itself on your machine, but forget the "optimized-system-gives-3%-performance-gain" aspect, i love it because it works smooth and is easy to maintain. e.g., software install or complete system update takes you exactly one command. each. documentation is very good, step-by step, and there are also wiki's and how-to's. if gentoo is not your thing, you can always resort to suse (fool-proof install; but updating means reinstall and gettings things like dvd play to work is a real pain in the y'know) or knoppix (save your /home and settings to a usb-stick; runs from live cd). HTH, florian (gentoo-noob) ah yeah, system requirement for a non-graphical linux is like *486 cpu and stuff, so if your box is newer than three years, it should do fine. <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119510779.706073.70580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups...

Installing Linux from within Linux?
Seriously. I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to the latter). Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner), and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices. So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the Debian install itself. Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over memory if they want!) (My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though) cheers Jules Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd > like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to > the latter). > > Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it > reads commercial CDs fine, ...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

install without bootable cdrom and without floppy
Hello everybody, I'd like to have a look into freeBSD. Got the CDs and an IBM Thinkpad755CD without a floppy drive, network and a bootable CDROM running linux. How can I start the installation process from the running linux system? I do NOT want to install freeBSD beside linux, I want to replace the current system... Thanks, arkascha On 2005-06-18, arkascha scribbled these curious markings: > Hello everybody, > I'd like to have a look into freeBSD. > Got the CDs and an IBM Thinkpad755CD without a floppy drive, network and a > bootable CDROM running linux. ...

Which Linux OS should I install
I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's, but I couldn't get any of them to work. Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My skill level is quite amateurish. Thanks Jeff P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. I...

Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)
In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder, I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux movement after all. For a minute. Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to go about insta...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

Linux: Damn Small Linux freezes up during install
"I'm trying to install DSL 4.2.5 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I've specified "dsl noacpi noapm" at the boot prompt, but it appears to still get frozen shortly after skipping the ACPI work (it freezes immediately the message "Skipping ACPI Bios detection as requested on boot commandline."). Anyone have any other ideas to try?" http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/damnsmalllinux-42/dsl-4.2.5-install-freezes-computer-624067/?highlight=freezes Results 1 - 10 of about 2,610 for "linux freezes" Results 1 - 10 of about 34,300 for "windows f...

Not able instal linux(problem in partioning the Linux)
i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i left 10 GB free for Linux.... i want to install Red hat linux 9.0. I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /, and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the... more =BB by kirankumar.277@gmail.com - 11:53am - 1 new of 1 message ...

[News] [Linux] Schools in Russia Install Linux
Experiment: first schools install Linux ,----[ Quote ] | "If the results are positive, the committee will suggest installing | Linux in all schools", Igor Bazlov added. `---- http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/06/05/253453 Related: Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead. | | [..] | | According to Karpushin, schools would ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] Video Proves That Linux Installation Easier Than OS X, Vista Installation
Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX, | and Ubuntu. `---- http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI Very recent items that support this: Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps ,----[ Quote ] | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on | Windows or the Mac OS. | | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they&...

Web resources about - install linux without floppy and cdrom - comp.os.linux.setup

Can Facebook Advertisers Test Mobile App Install Ads On Their Devices?
Some Facebook advertisers are now able to preview their mobile application install ads directly on their mobile devices, complete with active ...

New Features to Mobile App Install Ads
Today we are happy to announce some updates to mobile app install ads to improve the experience people and developers have when viewing and creating ...

Facebook tries new designs for mobile page-Like and app install ads
Facebook began testing new designs for its mobile app install ads and page post ads this weekend. Following an update for Facebook for iOS, ...

Google: Cardboard Apps Surpass 25 Million Installs on Google Play
... 2015. According to Google, there are more than 1,000 Cardboard-supported apps on Google Play, with the No. 1 Cardboard app (based on installs, ...

How to install Android on a PC
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world, but that does not mean it can’t be installed on the desktop. There are many ...

NowGaming on Apple TV: Which games should I install first?
... and help you narrow down the choices even further by giving you my take on the titles. This week, Ill be looking at the First Games to Install ...

Wattway will install 600 miles of solar roads in France
Filed under: Green , Plants/Manufacturing , Europe , Solar France's Colas says each kilometer along the "Wattway" can power 5,000 homes.

How to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Windows PC
Yes, it's true: You really can install Android 6.0 Marshmallow onto your Windows PC and run it just like you'd run it on a phone or tablet. Fiztsimmons ...