Installing Linux from within Linux?

Seriously.

I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd
like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to
the latter).

Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it
reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner),
and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices.

So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware
installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the
Debian install itself.

Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's
booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and
running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the
install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over
memory if they want!)

(My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking
in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the
laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though)

cheers

Jules

0
Jules
3/14/2006 12:30:07 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd
> like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to
> the latter).
>
> Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it
> reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner),
> and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices.
>
> So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware
> installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the
> Debian install itself.
>
> Can it actually be done?

It depends on how amenable Slack is to chroot installs.  I'm thinking "very":
http://hacktavista.com/howto/chroot_slackware.html

Instructions for those seeking to install _Debian_ in a chroot environment:
http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall

--
Cheers,                                        "He who hesitates is frost."
Rick (Debian user, fond of Slackware) Moen                -- Inuit proverb
On 2006-03-14, Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Seriously.
>
> I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd
> like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to
> the latter).
>
> Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it
> reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner),
> and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices.
>
> So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware
> installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the
> Debian install itself.
>
> Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's
> booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and
> running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the
> install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over
> memory if they want!)

It wouldn't necessarily be easy, but one possibility is available if you
have many partitions for debian instead of just one.  Boot debian,
umount all your filesystems except /, and then partition your disk for
Slackware and run the installer, making sure you don't attempt to
overwrite the partition at /.  (The installer should be smart enough not
to allow you to do this.)

In theory, this can work even if you only have / and swap in your
current install: deactivate your swap, install some sort of minimal
linux on it (either mirror debian's essential files, or get some other
minimal distro), and boot from there, installing Slackware to Debian's
former /.  Deeper into theory, you could put Slackware's installer into
the old swap partition, but the entire ISO image might not fit, so you
might have to put just the installer on it.

Of course, if commercial CDs work, buy a set from the Slackware store.  :)

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

Keith
3/14/2006 12:52:22 AM
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:30:07 +0000, Jules wrote:

> Seriously.
>
> I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd
> like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to
> the latter).
>
> Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it
> reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner),
> and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices.
>
> So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware
> installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the
> Debian install itself.
>
> Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's
> booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and
> running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the
> install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over
> memory if they want!)
>
> (My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking
> in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the
> laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though)
>
> cheers
>
> Jules

There was a recent topic on a.o.l.s: no cdrom, which I commented:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/7d128facee780cbe

I think all you would need to do is boot the kernel with the initrd (as I
indicated.)  When the kernel loads and you arrive at the login prompt,
start networking followed by the setup program.  NFS is a supported
install option, but I've haven't done it that way (yet).  The setup kernel
does not rely on mounting any discs (just the initrd into ram), so you are
free to overwrite the space being used by Debian with no conflicts.

There were quite a few ideas on the referenced thread.

--
Douglas Mayne

0
Douglas
3/14/2006 1:16:30 AM
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:16:30 -0700, Douglas Mayne wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:30:07 +0000, Jules wrote:

<snip>

>> cheers
>>
>> Jules
>>
> There was a recent topic on a.o.l.s: no cdrom, which I commented:
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/7d128facee780cbe
>
> I think all you would need to do is boot the kernel with the initrd (as I
> indicated.)  When the kernel loads and you arrive at the login prompt,
> start networking followed by the setup program.  NFS is a supported
> install option, but I've haven't done it that way (yet).  The setup kernel
> does not rely on mounting any discs (just the initrd into ram), so you are
> free to overwrite the space being used by Debian with no conflicts.
>
> There were quite a few ideas on the referenced thread.

One other thing: you will need the file:
slackware-10.2/rootdisks/network.dsk

You can approximate what the setup cd does to get networking started as
follows:

1. Mount the disc with network.dsk to a temp location.
2. Mount the file network.dsk as a loopback on /network
3. cd to /network/scripts and execute the script network.sh
4. Hopefully your network card will be recognized when this script runs.
5. cd / and umount /network
6. umount location mount in step 1.

Note: The card's address is setup by you manually within setup (no
dhcp option).

It's not pretty, but _maybe_ it works.

--
Douglas Mayne
0
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:52:22 -0800, Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

>It wouldn't necessarily be easy, but one possibility is available if you
>have many partitions for debian instead of just one.  Boot debian,
>umount all your filesystems except /, and then partition your disk for
>Slackware and run the installer,

Which is where?  (I think it is only in the isolinux image?)

> making sure you don't attempt to
>overwrite the partition at /.  (The installer should be smart enough not
>to allow you to do this.)

Slackware install target is /mnt, one may mount other resources to
mountpoints hanging off /, create your own additional resource
mountpoints while preparing for the install.  NFS works well, I
setup and test the network connection prior to starting slack
installer.

>  Deeper into theory, you could put Slackware's installer into
>the old swap partition, but the entire ISO image might not fit, so you
>might have to put just the installer on it.

Slackware installer isolinux image is < 6MB, you could preload the
install source tree under Debian or win2k and install from HDD, or
install over NFS.

I've not quite done that, but I've installed the Slackware isolinux
image to a small primary partition for maintaining a firewall box that
has no CDROM.

Works for me:
root@deltree:~# mount /home/other/
root@deltree:~# df
/dev/hda1                31077      5466     24007  19% /home/other
root@deltree:~# ls -l /home/other/
total 19
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-10-30 21:55 boot/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-10-30 21:03 dev/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-12-18 12:26 etc/
drwx------ 2 root root 12288 2005-10-30 20:39 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-10-30 20:40 mnt/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-10-30 20:40 proc/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-10-30 20:40 sys/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 2005-10-30 20:40 tmp/
root@deltree:~# ls -l /home/other/boot/
total 5445
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  152609 2005-10-30 21:09 System.map.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1474560 2005-10-30 20:41 bare.i
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     512 2005-10-30 21:10 boot.0301
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1256566 2005-10-30 21:09 bzImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2645572 2005-10-30 21:18 initrd.img
-rw------- 1 root root   14848 2005-10-30 21:55 map
root@deltree:~# cat /etc/lilo.conf
# /etc/lilo.conf for slackware on deltree 2005-09-08
#
boot = /dev/hda
root = /dev/hda2
read-only
compact
lba32
prompt
timeout = 30

default = 2.4.32-hf32.2
#default = 2.6.15.6a

image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.15.6a
  optional
  label = 2.6.15.6a

image = /boot/bzImage-2.4.33-pre1
  optional
  label = 2.4.33-pre1

image = /boot/bzImage-2.4.32-hf32.2
  optional
  label = 2.4.32-hf32.2

other = /dev/hda1
  label = isolinux

This particular box has an rsync mirror of slack install tree:

root@deltree:~# ls /home/mirror |grep slack
slackware-10.2/
slackware-current/

So I install from HDD, other localnet boxen install via NFS export
from this box, booted from a custom boot CD, or the store-bought
Slack CD #1.

Grant.
--
Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Dijkstra
On 2006-03-14, Grant <bugsplatter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:52:22 -0800, Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>
>>It wouldn't necessarily be easy, but one possibility is available if you
>>have many partitions for debian instead of just one.  Boot debian,
>>umount all your filesystems except /, and then partition your disk for
>>Slackware and run the installer,
>
> Which is where?  (I think it is only in the isolinux image?)

Bah, you are right.  I thought it was on the ftp site, but it is not.
It's probably on the install.1 floppy image, though.

>> making sure you don't attempt to
>>overwrite the partition at /.  (The installer should be smart enough not
>>to allow you to do this.)
>
> Slackware install target is /mnt, one may mount other resources to
> mountpoints hanging off /, create your own additional resource
> mountpoints while preparing for the install.

That's not quite what I meant: I meant, during the install, that you can
choose which partitions to mount (under /mnt) for your final install.
Obviously you would not want to choose the currently mounted / for the
Slackware installer to mount.  (But, as I obliquely said, the installer
should be able to figure out which partitions are mounted and thus
unavailable.)

I've done some more exotic installs, especially with early versions of
Slackintosh: you can mount your desired target partitions under /mnt,
and run installpkg manually (or upgradepkg) to install your packages
under /mnt.  (I think in that case you need to set ...uh, PKGROOT=/mnt ,
but I don't recall the exact env var to set.)

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

Keith
3/14/2006 4:19:23 AM
In comp.os.linux.setup Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk>:

> Seriously.

> I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd
> like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to
> the latter).

> Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it
> reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner),
> and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices.

> So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware
> installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the
> Debian install itself.

> Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's
> booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and
> running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the
> install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over
> memory if they want!)

Yep, done this numerous times, you could use a kernel + initrd
offering a minimal system and then blow an image over the LAN
onto the box. Alternatively, (no image), you could try putting the
install kernel + initrd onto the system boot from that and do a
network installation.

[..]

#bofh excuse 284: Electrons on a bender
0
Michael

Linux, Linux, Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Why linux is linux

Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?
I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Thanks! marslee@hotmail.com wrote: > IS there any good website for beginner? > Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? > Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Hi marslee, if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compile...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with th...

[News] [Linux] Schools in Russia Install Linux
Experiment: first schools install Linux ,----[ Quote ] | "If the results are positive, the committee will suggest installing | Linux in all schools", Igor Bazlov added. `---- http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/06/05/253453 Related: Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead. | | [..] | | According to Karpushin, schools would ...

Not able instal linux(problem in partioning the Linux)
i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i left 10 GB free for Linux.... i want to install Red hat linux 9.0. I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /, and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the... more =BB by kirankumar.277@gmail.com - 11:53am - 1 new of 1 message ...

Web resources about - Installing Linux from within Linux? - comp.os.linux.setup

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper