Linux 2.6.20.1 and User Mode Linux

This is beginning to bug me -- or maybe I (and for that
matter Gentoo!) am missing something?

Stock 2.6.20 kernel, patched to 2.6.20.1, on a Gentoo i386
system, gcc 3.4.6, ntpl.

# make menuconfig ARCH=um
[no changes to settings, save and exit]
# make linux ARCH=um
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/um/Kconfig
  SYMLINK arch/um/include/kern_constants.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/arch
  SYMLINK arch/um/include/sysdep
  SYMLINK arch/um/os
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/archparam.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/system.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/sigcontext.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/processor.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/ptrace.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/module.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/vm-flags.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/elf.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-um/host_ldt.h
  CHK     arch/um/include/uml-config.h
  UPD     arch/um/include/uml-config.h
  CC      arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.s
arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.c:4:22: asm/user.h: No such file or
directory
arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.c: In function `foo':
arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.c:51: error: invalid application of
`sizeof' to incomplete type `user_i387_struct'
arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.c:52: error: invalid application of
`sizeof' to incomplete type `user_fxsr_struct'
arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.c:70: error: invalid application of
`sizeof' to incomplete type `user_regs_struct'
make[1]: *** [arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.s] Error 2

#

The Gentoo documentation mentions that I should be using
non-ntpl, but a previous version of the kernel (I forget
which) does boot if I use the stage3 preinstall.

What am I missing? :-)

I'm going to try rebuilding gcc 3.4.6 and see if that
helps, but, again, this is puzzling me.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Does anyone else remember the 1802?

The
3/12/2007 5:39:00 PM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] 4 Linux Releases: Foresight Linux 1.1, Ubuntu CE 2.2, Kwort 2.2, Mandriva 2007.1 RC1
Foresight Linux 1.1 is out ! http://foresightlinux.com/downloads/ Kwort [Slackware derivative] 2.2 final released! ,----[ Quote ] | I'm proud to announce that Kwort 2.2 final version has been released | after a very long time (more than a year). The system is very stable | and very usable. `---- http://kwort.org/?page=NewsViewer&ID=45&PHPSESSID=1d286ac69fabebf18b4db27ded0b277d Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring RC1 (aka "Xianyang") ,----[ Quote ] | New since Mandriva Linux 2007: | | * Major desktop components | o KDE 3.5.6 | o GNOME 2.18 (RC: final...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

Why linux is linux

[ace-users] ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE_ROOT/inc
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 004800E0C1257577_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):=20 g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE=5FROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE=5FROOT/include/makeinclude/platform=5Fmacros.GNU FILE: platform=5Flinux.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE=5FROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (unmodified): AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Signal ...

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: CRUX 2.6, Hymera 20090910, Absolute Linux 13.0, Tiny Core 2.3.1

[News] Linux Foundation Teaches the Public About GNU/Linux, Linux 2.6.34 Shaping up

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

Debian Question: linux-image-2.6...-k7 vs. linux-image-2.6...-amd64
Hello, I am currently running linux-image-2.6.18-4-k7 on my old ASUS K8V SE Deluxe machine with an Athlon 64 3200+ 754 CPU (single core), 1 GB of RAM, etc. (http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt for my secondary computer specifications). It runs Debian r4 and acts a workstation (no gaming) like surfing the Web, using e-mails, using newsgroups (Tin and Pan), IMs, IRC, some compilings (nothing major), download a lot, SSH from outside like at work, watch videos (online and locally) and DVDs, VMware v5.5.4 to test and use things, etc. I was wondering if I would get any ...

Linux vs Linux Users.. For Ahlstrom.. One Example of Miserable Linux Users.
And there are plenty more examples of how awful, miserable, nasty, and plain not helpful Linux users are. Here is one example: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=20339 "Back in January, I wrote this ridiculous comparison of Linux and Windows, where I took some of the annoying disadvantages of Windows and listed them as advantages. It was silly, absurd fun and if there was anything wrong with the post itself it might be that I made the satire too obvious. "And then the crazy people showed up." "A few days after that post slid off the fron...

[News] [Linux] Pioneer Linux 2.1 Released, OLPC Pushing Video Games Development for Linux
Technalign releases Pioneer Basic Release 2.1 desktop Linux operating system ,----[ Quote ] | Pioneer Basic Release 2.1 represents the most user-friendly | version Technalign has released since its beginnings in 2002. `---- http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9723.html One Laptop per Child Organizes Game Jam to Create Free Video Games for the World's Poorest Children ,----[ Quote ] | These machines will be rugged, Linux-based, and so energy efficient that | hand-cranking alone will generate sufficient power for operation. Mesh | networking will give many machines Internet access from o...

Performance of NFS much lower on Linux kernel 2.6.17 then on Linux kernel 2.6.3?
Maybe somebody can help me with this problem: I export several directories from a Novell server and mount them on a Linux machine to have some remote backup and storage facilities. A few years back I have installed a Mandrake 10.0 box with kernel 2.6.3 and after some tinkering the NFS performance was about 3.5 MByte/s on a 100 Mbps full duplex interface card. The FTP performance to and from that same Mandrake box was about 7 MByte/s. This year I upgraded my hardware and I installed Mandriva 2006 using kernel 2.12.12 on the Linux machine. Using exactly the same mount options I get...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: NetSecL 2.6, Vine Linux 5.1

[News] Linux Mint 2.2 KDE Edition Review; Foresight Linux 1.2 Released
Review: Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 020 "Bianca KDE Edition" ,----[ Quote ] | While it is always nice to have another Linux distribution, because | choice is good, I didn't see any compelling reason to use Linux Mint | over the Ubuntu which it is based off of. The look is slightly | different, with some different configuration options here and there. | I can't really say it offers anything special over Ubuntu, but you never | know, there are no doubt future improvements that the Linux Mint team | will make. Hopefully they fix the video driver issue so I can try it | out on my deskto...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram <ramsonney@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184161595.496086.263480@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? > > Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards > > Ram &g...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram On Jul 11, 8:44 am, ramson...@gmail.com wrote: > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? Samba is a set of tools that lets linux be a client and/or server of windows (smb) file sharing. If your linux system has the resources, that would be very transparent once...

Lineox Enterprise Linux 2.1 Released with Always Current Version and Update Service for Lineox and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
30. Aug. 2004 Lineox Enterprise Linux 2.1 is compiled from sources available from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/2.1AS/en/os/i386/SRPMS. The only packages that were altered are redhat-logos and anaconda. This makes Lineox Enterprise Linux 2.1 highly compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS. Always Current Lineox Enterprise Linux 2.1.007 contains all available updates including Update 5. Lineox has reserved lower version numbers to older Update levels and we may make Always Current versions based on these if there is enough customer demand because some ...

sleep() API behaves differently in Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6
Hi, I have a simple program utilizing "sleep()" api to sleep 3 msec periodically. I measured the time difference before calling the api and after it returns back. The same application behaves differently running on Linux 2.4 and 2.6 In Linux 2.6.11, it takes about 3 msec, and running on Linux 2.4.20 it takes about 10 msec. I have attached the program below, many thanks in advance. #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <time.h> #define TO_64(a) (a##LLU) #define kUsecTimeScale TO_6...

Will new "G5" 1.6 GHz run Linux SuSE Linux 7.3 (2.4.18)?
Will 64-bit IBM Power PC 970 "G5" 1.6 GHz Processor[NL] run Linux SuSE 7.3 (2.4.18)? If anyone has any information on this issue, please do let me know.. Thank you, Leo it comes with os x which is way better IMHO In article <62b2b43f.0310011035.54e683b1@posting.google.com>, Leo <lberdi@hotmail.com> wrote: > Will 64-bit IBM Power PC 970 "G5" 1.6 GHz Processor[NL] run Linux > SuSE 7.3 (2.4.18)? If anyone has any information on this issue, please > do let me know.. > > Thank you, > Leo ...

errors during clan-2.0.3 on linux 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Hi, I'm trying to compile clan-2.0.3 drivers on kernel version 2.6.6-1.435.2.3. I'm getting erros on some missing files (see below). I installed the kernel sources prior to compiling the clan drivers. Any help in this will be greatly appreciated clan1k.c:49:27: linux/wrapper.h: No such file or directory clan1k.c:50:26: linux/tqueue.h: No such file or directory /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function...

1. Redhat linux 7.2 issue 2. Redhat enterprise linux issue
Hi -- I have two issues I need your help on, 1. We have a redhat linux 7.2 on a pentium-3 machine with 256MB RAM. It is in a LAN that has multiple redhat linux 9.0, redhat enterprise linux servers, solaris,etc.. I configured NIS and made this client part of it. The user home areas are automounted. So on a redhat 9 system when a user logs in, the user goes to his home directory by default. But when I logon the console of 7.2, I get a message that 'home not found, hence logging with / as the home'. I gave this a fix by asking the user to login as root on the machine and doing a su - $u...

Web resources about - Linux 2.6.20.1 and User Mode Linux - comp.os.linux.setup

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Contract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521

Korora 23 'Coral' Linux distro is finally here Fedora for the rest of us
When you decide to embrace Linux on the desktop, it can be quite exciting. There is a good chance you started your computing journey with Microsoft ...

Is Docker ditching Ubuntu Linux? Confusion reigns
Docker has long relied on Ubuntu Linux as the default host environment for Docker apps, but recent comments from the company's CTO suggest that ...

Warner Bros. cancels 'Batman: Arkham Knight' for Mac and Linux
Batman: Arkham Knight was one of the better big-budget games of last year but its launch on the PC was an unmitigated disaster. Warner Bros. ...

Tails 2.0 Linux Distro Improves Installation, Gets New Look
The first major milestone release for the privacy-focused Linux distribution in 2016 makes it easy for new users to install and provides a new ...

PSA: Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space now on Linux
... week that it has finally brought its RPG-flavored randomized space adventure strategy game Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space to the Linux. ...