Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?

I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
IS there any good website for beginner?
Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?

Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?

Thanks!

0
marslee
6/23/2005 7:12:59 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?

Hi marslee,

if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it
sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give
it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compiles itself on your machine, but
forget the "optimized-system-gives-3%-performance-gain" aspect, i love
it because it works smooth and is easy to maintain. e.g., software
install or complete system update takes you exactly one command. each.
documentation is very good, step-by step, and there are also wiki's and
how-to's.
if gentoo is not your thing, you can always resort to suse (fool-proof
install; but updating means reinstall and gettings things like dvd play
to work is a real pain in the y'know) or knoppix (save your /home and
settings to a usb-stick; runs from live cd).

HTH, florian (gentoo-noob)

ah yeah, system requirement for a non-graphical linux is like *486 cpu
and stuff, so if your box is newer than three years, it should do fine.
0
fm
6/23/2005 9:06:07 AM
<marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?

Hundreds, with legibility ranging from computer ghods to complete newbies.

> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?

Depends. Like buying a car, it depends on what you want to do with it. Since
you're a complete newbie, I'd suggest a commercial version with tech
support, and one that is known to work well with your particular hardware.

> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?

Depends again. There are micro-Linux variants that can be installed on a
network switch box, but if you want to run X Windows, web browsers, etc.,
I'd take a modern desktop box for Windows and set the minimum at half of
everything: half the speed, half the RAM, half the disk, etc. Then I'd scale
up to support specific things well.

0
Nico
6/23/2005 11:47:00 AM
>>Depends. Like buying a car, it depends on what you want to do with it.

is that not the truth....

for newbies that want a desktop system you can't go wrong with ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

for servers I like CentOS and Fedora.

JMHO

mattd

0
mattd
6/23/2005 2:57:06 PM
On 23 Jun 2005 00:12:59 -0700, marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?

http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/MandrakeLinux/101/en/Starter.html/
0
Bit
6/23/2005 2:59:48 PM
marslee@hotmail.com entsandte folgende Zeichenkette in die untiefen des
Netzes:

> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?

I would recommend SuSE or Mandriva. I once startet with SuSE because it's
realy fast and easy to install. SuSE makes problems, if you trie to do an
upgrade to a newer version, that's the problem. But use it to start with
linux. If you are fed up with SuSE switch to Debian, or Gentoo.
Of course you could also start with Gentoo, but it needs much more time and
knowledge to install.
For a first little try use Knoppix, it runs directly from CD without any
installation.

> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
Depends on what you'd like to use, for a console-only 60 MHz are enough, for
using KDE with all available eyecandy 1.5 GHz are minimum.

--
Linux ist kostenlos, Windoofs umsonst...
0
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:12:59 -0700, marslee wrote:

> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good
> website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
>
> Thanks!

Hardware First:

Linux will runs on hardware from handhelds to mainframes.  Maybe a better
question is to ask whether your specific hardware is a viable
candidate for running the applications you intend to install.  My
guess/stab for an acceptable minimum desktop with X (GUI): Celeron 500 MHz
CPU + 256M RAM + 4G Hard Disk.  To state the obvious: it will work with
less than that, but performance increases with a faster CPU clock and
more RAM. I have one Pentium 166 with 64M RAM which boots to a
terminal console in about a minute- which isn't bad.

Software:
You have asked a FAQ, and there is no one right answer.  Here is an
attempt to rank distributions by popularity:
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Knoppix is the apparrent leader for "live cd" versions, where you can test
drive linux without installing anything. Advocating one distribution over
another is likely to start a flame war. You may end up liking one, while I
like another; it's a personal preference.

Take a look at the homepage for some of the top distributions and see how
the project's goals align with yours.  When you visit the distribution
homepages, look for their list download mirrors. You want to have a
support network to download updates, etc.  A good candidate is likely to
have mirrors at major universities. That could be an indication that
students at those universities are encouraged to download and study that
distribution.

User applications can be installed on top of any distribution. Here are
some good applications which run on gnu/linux:

	Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.org/
	Pan:	http://pan.rebelbase.com/
	OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/

You can learn as much about gnu/linux as you would like.  Here is an index
of the documentation effort:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html

Here is another good web site to use as a starting point. There is a
substantial amount of information on this page about distributions,
documentation, and applications: http://www.linux.org/

The best way is to jump right in.  You knew enough to post this question
on this newsgroup, so you can check back if (when) you have more
questions.

--
General: Where the hell have you been, soldier?
John: Training, sir. __Plattoon: TRAINING, SIR!__
On Thursday 23 June 2005 00:12, marslee@hotmail.com wrote:

> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?

You gotten a lot of good advice and recommendations, but for a first
time distribution for the newbie, I like SimplyMepis (www.mepis.com).
Why?  It is the only distro that I've ever tried that correctly
identified and configured ALL my hardware, including the network and
internet connection during installation.  All the other distros I've
used required "fixes" after the initial install to get it working
correctly.  Something that is beyond the abilities of your average
first time Linux user.  After install all changes can easily be done
through GUI utilities and/or Wizards.

Mepis also fits entirely on a single CD, but being compressed, it is the
equivalent of 3.  Saves download time.  It is available as a LiveCD
that runs entirely in RAM and off the CD.  So, if you want to test it
before installing, you can.  It won't mess with your current OS or any
of your files.  And if you do install it, it will leave your current OS
on the drive and set up a dual booting system, automatically, if you so
choose.  Also, Mepis works well on older, slower hardware, but I would
want to have at least a 300MHz CPU and 128MB RAM.  And, the nicest
feature is how it can install new software or upgrade existing software
or the OS with a single command.  It even resolves all the
dependencies.  All totally hands-off once you've specified what you
want.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?

Slackware is great for newbies. Nice quick install with a good set of apps.

 http://www.slackware.com
0
Chiefy
6/23/2005 10:45:28 PM
On Thursday 23 June 2005 15:45, Chiefy wrote:

> 23 Jun 2005 07:12 UTC, marslee@hotmail.com typed:
>> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Slackware is great for newbies. Nice quick install with a good set of
> apps.
>
>  http://www.slackware.com

I disagree.  Slackware is a traditional treatment of Linux requiring
knowledge of the underlying file structure of the OS and its
text-based, config files, which your average newbie doesn't even
fathom, to set up and config the OS, hardware, etc., if it is not
handled correctly during the install, which it never was on all the
installs I did.  And what utilites are available to do that are sparce,
and still require a working knowledge of Linux.  Knowledge that your
firsttimer just doesn't have.

I used Slack for about 2 years after 2 years of Linux familiarization
using Mandrake, and reading lots of books.  (I came to Linux from the
Amiga and not Windows.  So, I was used to solving problems myself,
since usually there was no one around to help.)   Even with all that,
for example, configuring my laser printer and getting it to work
through CUPS was a crap shoot even with the provided configuration
utilities.  One day it worked fine.  The next it wouldn't.  Never could
figure out why and neither could friends, who administer Linux for a
living.  However, it was a great learning experience.  And for anyone,
who really wants to learn Linux, Slackware is the best distro to do it
on.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group
Chiefy (lgb@non.existent.invalid) writes:
> 23 Jun 2005 07:12 UTC, marslee@hotmail.com typed:
>> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Slackware is great for newbies. Nice quick install with a good set of apps.
>
>  http://www.slackware.com

Well that's what I'd suggest, but in part just to throw a wrench into things.

As someone said, this is not a new question, but the answers are always
predictable.  People suggest what they are using.

Ultimately, that says a lot.  If there can be so many varying answers,
then obviously most distributions are fine for the beginner.  They get
thrown off by the variety, and assume some must be better than others
when in many cases there are all those distributions simply because
someone wants to come out with another one, and win converts to their
brand.

  Michael

0
et472
6/24/2005 12:08:35 AM
Here in comp.os.linux.setup, marslee@hotmail.com spake unto us, saying:

http://www.linux.org is a good place to start.

>Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?

What do you want to use Linux for?  There are many different flavors of
Linux, and some of them might be specialized for what you want.

>Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?

The version of Linux I use as my firewall needs a 486DX/25 with 12MB.

  http://www.coyotelinux.com/products.php?Product=coyote

Full desktop versions require a lot more.  The one I tend to use here
is an older version of Mandriva (Mandrake 8.2) which will install and
run just fine on a PPro/200 with 32MB even when using KDE.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
> Well that's what I'd suggest, but in part just to throw a wrench into
things.
> As someone said, this is not a new question, but the answers are always
> predictable.  People suggest what they are using.

I find having started with RH (for no particular reason than it was there)
that now as I am starting to compile tarballs for to get specific packages
up to date I have to spend a fair bit of the time unwinding the RH slant on
where it lobs many of the package files.

Frinstance, for apache, the tarball likes /var/local/apache (plus other
paths) but (as I recall) RH had bits of the .rpm installed version in
/usr/sbin (or the like).  Given I like to be as vanilla as poss (and I am
going to be patching from tarballs in future) I have had to cleanse the old
package by hand.  Not a nice task for a novice.

Can anyone comment on which distro's are simpler to manage in this area?

Cheers, Frank.

0
Frank_Hamersley
6/24/2005 8:40:24 AM
On 2005-06-23, Stefan Patric <writeme@addressbelow.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 June 2005 15:45, Chiefy wrote:
>
>> 23 Jun 2005 07:12 UTC, marslee@hotmail.com typed:
>>> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>>
>> Slackware is great for newbies. Nice quick install with a good set of
>> apps.
>>
>>  http://www.slackware.com
>
> I disagree.  Slackware is a traditional treatment of Linux requiring
> knowledge of the underlying file structure of the OS and its
> text-based, config files, which your average newbie doesn't even
> fathom, to set up and config the OS, hardware, etc., if it is not
> handled correctly during the install, which it never was on all the
> installs I did.  And what utilites are available to do that are sparce,
> and still require a working knowledge of Linux.  Knowledge that your
> firsttimer just doesn't have.

<deleted>

Good points, though I'd disagree with the config utils issue.

I've been using slck for about two years now, coming off Mandrake.

Slack is not for the first time user, however, I'm always amazed by the number
of people who recommend slack for someone who has never used linux.

ken
0
No_One
6/24/2005 11:55:12 AM
No_One <no_one@no_where.com> wrote:
> Slack is not for the first time user, however, I'm always amazed by the number

It was the first linux I used. I had no difficulty (slackware 2.1, I
think it was).

Peter
0
Peter
6/24/2005 12:19:54 PM
"Tilman Klaeger" <webmaster@tilman-klaeger.de> wrote in message
> marslee@hotmail.com entsandte folgende Zeichenkette in die untiefen des
> Netzes:
>
>> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
>> IS there any good website for beginner?
>> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> I would recommend SuSE or Mandriva. I once startet with SuSE because it's
> realy fast and easy to install. SuSE makes problems, if you trie to do an
> upgrade to a newer version, that's the problem. But use it to start with
> linux. If you are fed up with SuSE switch to Debian, or Gentoo.
> Of course you could also start with Gentoo, but it needs much more time
> and
> knowledge to install.
> For a first little try use Knoppix, it runs directly from CD without any
> installation.

SuSE is evil. It pretends to have a configuration tool that works, and their
YaST setup tool is cute, but ye ghods is it broken when you look under the
cover. They violate every one of Erik Nygren's suggested principles of
designing a GUI. And their package management? Ye ghods, is it fsck'ed up.
The RedHat variants are more likely to be able to operate on new hardware,
as well, due to their larger deployed base and their bleeding edge Fedora
Core releases. And RedHat doesn't pretend that their free releases are the
same as their commercial releases by publishing that *looks* like the
commercial version months later, but actually has mostly different binaries
when you look under the hood.

I spent way, way, way too much time combatting this sort of SuSE silliness
lately. Never again, if I can avoid it.

0
Nico
6/24/2005 12:22:01 PM
On 2005-06-24, Peter T. Breuer <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
> No_One <no_one@no_where.com> wrote:
>> Slack is not for the first time user, however, I'm always amazed by the number
>
> It was the first linux I used. I had no difficulty (slackware 2.1, I
> think it was).
>
> Peter

Yeah, I've heard people make that claim.  P. Volkerding also claims he
didn't have trouble using slack for the first time.

ken
0
No_One
6/24/2005 12:56:35 PM
No_One <no_one@no_where.com> wrote:
> On 2005-06-24, Peter T. Breuer <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
>> No_One <no_one@no_where.com> wrote:
>>> Slack is not for the first time user, however, I'm always amazed by the number
>>
>> It was the first linux I used. I had no difficulty (slackware 2.1, I
>> think it was).
>
> Yeah, I've heard people make that claim.  P. Volkerding also claims he
> didn't have trouble using slack for the first time.

He didn't. We know.

Peter
0
Peter
6/24/2005 1:38:49 PM
Peter writes:
> It was the first linux I used. I had no difficulty

I had a bit of trouble with the install because Infomagic had "reorganized"
the CD and the installer was broken.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org
marslee@hotmail.com wrote:

> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
>
> Thanks!

There are 250+ liveCDs to try out on this link...
Try knoppix, DSL, kannotix, Mepis for starters.
All free - and you don't have to install until you are
ready - just run straight from the CD.

marslee@hotmail.com wrote:

> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
>
> Thanks!

To try things out, I recomend that you try knoppix. It is a linux
distribution (based on the debian distribution, in case you like it) that
runs completely from the CD. It is a nice way to check if all your hardware
runs flawlessly under linux.

For a first distribution, I recomend Mandriva. It is simple, works out of
the box and doesn't need teaking.

Hope this helps
Rui Maciel
0
Rui
6/25/2005 11:15:03 AM
Rui Maciel wrote:

.... snip ...

> For a first distribution, I recomend Mandriva. It is simple, works
> out of the box and doesn't need teaking.

I certainly hope it doesn't.  The use of teak is leading to much
rainforest destruction these days.  Also mahogany. :-)

CBFalconer
6/25/2005 5:05:09 PM
: Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@gmail.com>
:
: For a first distribution, I recomend Mandriva. It is simple, works out of
: the box and doesn't need teaking.

If you're thinking Mandriva for the install, you might also go
with the Mandriva live CD for the evaluation.  You'd be more nearly
sure that the installation won't recognize hardware differently
than your trial version.

Wayne Throop   throopw@sheol.org   http://sheol.org/throopw
0
throopw
6/25/2005 9:55:38 PM
marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
> I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
> IS there any good website for beginner?
> Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>
> Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
>
> Thanks!

Darren replies

I've tried 4 distro, I find Xandros the easiest, you can
view your windows volumes/Drives.  You can use version
3 or you can buy the full personal verson for $49.00
www.xandros.com
0
Darren
7/1/2005 5:49:30 AM
I have Xandros as well. In fact, I have Xandros on my laptop (dual-boot
with WinXP) and on my desktop (the desktop is Xandros-only). I got a
Zoom 3048 56k V.92/V.90 external serial modem today at Staples for the
desktop. All I had to do in order to get the modem working was go into
the console and type in "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem". That allowed
NetZero to dial out. Getting online on Xandros is muy cool. The connect
speed and overall speed (even on this old 400MHz dinosaur of a desktop
with 256MB RAM) is very good. I tried for a year to get my desktop's
winmodem to work, then I decided to just get a REAL modem...best
decision I ever made.

0
DarthChaosofRSPW
7/1/2005 6:21:54 AM
Stefan Patric wrote:
> On Thursday 23 June 2005 00:12, marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it.
>>IS there any good website for beginner?
>>Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>>
>>Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
>

> You gotten a lot of good advice and recommendations, but for a first
> time distribution for the newbie, I like SimplyMepis (www.mepis.com).
> Why?  It is the only distro that I've ever tried that correctly
> identified and configured ALL my hardware, including the network and
> internet connection during installation.

But NOT Firewire external HDDs. Try as I might, mepis will NOT even
"see" the firewire drive. If you have a firewire drive, don't even
bother going there, it just won't work.
0
gordon
8/8/2005 10:35:33 AM
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:35:33 +0100, gordon wrote:

> Stefan Patric wrote:
>> On Thursday 23 June 2005 00:12, marslee@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good
>>>website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner?
>>>
>>>Also, what is the minimum system requirement ?
>>

>> You gotten a lot of good advice and recommendations, but for a first
>> time distribution for the newbie, I like SimplyMepis (www.mepis.com).
>> Why?  It is the only distro that I've ever tried that correctly
>> identified and configured ALL my hardware, including the network and
>> internet connection during installation.
>
> But NOT Firewire external HDDs. Try as I might, mepis will NOT even "see"
> the firewire drive. If you have a firewire drive, don't even bother going
> there, it just won't work.

Did you tell the Mepis people about this?  That's how things get "fixed."

Stefan

0
stefan

Linux, Linux, Linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Installing Linux from within Linux?
Seriously. I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to the latter). Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner), and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices. So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the Debian install itself. Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over memory if they want!) (My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though) cheers Jules Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd > like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to > the latter). > > Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it > reads commercial CDs fine, ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with th...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

Not able instal linux(problem in partioning the Linux)
i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i left 10 GB free for Linux.... i want to install Red hat linux 9.0. I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /, and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the... more =BB by kirankumar.277@gmail.com - 11:53am - 1 new of 1 message ...

Web resources about - Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install? - comp.os.linux.setup

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is a book of teachings by the late Shunryu Suzuki , a compilation of talks given to his satellite Zen center in Los ...

Bitcoin Beginners (@BTCBeginners) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Bitcoin Beginners @ BTCBeginners ...

Dr. Seuss Beginner Book Collection #2 on the App Store on iTunes
Get Dr. Seuss Beginner Book Collection #2 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Beginner's Bible Coloring Book! - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Dad, did dinosaurs really exist? Sure they did, son. The Bible says so. They didn't call them &quot;dinosaurs&quot; back then, but instead they ...

Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box Preview - YouTube
The Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box is scheduled for an October 26th release! The very first copies arrived here at the Paizo offices just this week, ...

Second Test: Beginners' luck or Burns and Khawaja's time?
If Burns and Khawaja can bat positively with intent in the second Test like they did at the Gabba, we will see them in the side for years to ...

COP21: Beginner's guide to the UN Paris climate summit
A background guide to the UN's major conference on climate change taking place in Paris until December 11.

Sound and vision: A beginner’s guide to David Bowie’s music
I'll admit that I was surprised to hear that David Bowie had died last night largely because it had never occurred to me that David Bowie could ...

A Beginner's Guide to Starting Your Blog
... is another important step because you will very likely be in contact with them frequently when you first start your blog. If you are a beginner, ...

A Beginner’s Guide To Star Wars
In case you haven’t heard, tomorrow is the release date of a little movie called Star Wars: Forced Awakening. Are you interested in seeing it, ...