Linux install on IBM iSeries...

Hi all,

Anyone ever managed to install some other linux than red hat or United linux
(beurk, sco friends!) on an IBM iSeries computer?
If yes which distro please?
It seems that debian should work but i am not really sure...

Thanks in advance.

Mathieu Bouchonnet

0
Mathieu
1/15/2004 10:59:51 AM
comp.os.linux.setup 9104 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Linux, Linux, Linux

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

[News] [Linux] Linux Installation as Easy as Windows Installation
Initial Review of Ubuntu 7.04 on Dell Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The installation for Ubuntu is as simple as installing Windows. If you've | loaded other Linux distro's you know that sometimes this process can be time | consuming and complicated. The Ubuntu disk asks you some setting questions | such as your language and location, and then moves into partitioning. Since | I've already partitioned my laptop when I loaded Fedora Core I didn't use | this functionality, but it looks pretty straight forward. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/wireless/networks/archives/initia...

Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?
I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Thanks! marslee@hotmail.com wrote: > IS there any good website for beginner? > Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? > Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Hi marslee, if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compiles itself on your machine, but forget the "optimized-system-gives-3%-performance-gain" aspect, i love it because it works smooth and is easy to maintain. e.g., software install or complete system update takes you exactly one command. each. documentation is very good, step-by step, and there are also wiki's and how-to's. if gentoo is not your thing, you can always resort to suse (fool-proof install; but updating means reinstall and gettings things like dvd play to work is a real pain in the y'know) or knoppix (save your /home and settings to a usb-stick; runs from live cd). HTH, florian (gentoo-noob) ah yeah, system requirement for a non-graphical linux is like *486 cpu and stuff, so if your box is newer than three years, it should do fine. <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119510779.706073.70580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups...

Installing Linux from within Linux?
Seriously. I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to the latter). Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it reads commercial CDs fine, but hates anything created in a home burner), and is too old to boot from the network or USB devices. So, what I'd *like* to do is boot Debian and kick off a Slackware installation (via NFS) from within that, which would then overwrite the Debian install itself. Can it actually be done? I'm suspecting not, as by the time Debian's booted to a prompt where I can set anything off from, the OS is all up and running and won't let something so horrible happen (unlike firing the install off from MSDOS say, where DOS will let things stomp all over memory if they want!) (My other options are taking the hard disk out of the laptop and sticking in another machine to do the install, or finding a floppy drive for the laptop... I doubt the latter's going to be easy though) cheers Jules Jules <julesrichardsonuk@remove.this.yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I've got a laptop that currently dual-boots Debian and Windows 2k. I'd > like to replace the Debian installation with Slackware (I'm more used to > the latter). > > Problem is, the laptop has no floppy drive, a questionable CDROM drive (it > reads commercial CDs fine, ...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

Which Linux OS should I install
I am very very new to Linux. I have a very old laptop that I am experimenting with. I am trying to run it as an image viewer. Something that will scroll pictures from a directory. So I thought here would be a perfect time to play with Linux. I've gone to a Linux distros site, but there are so many. I searched for a minimalist Linux version and burned a couple iso's, but I couldn't get any of them to work. Can any of you recommend a version that would do what I want it to do? My skill level is quite amateurish. Thanks Jeff P.S. I formatted the drive so there is currently no OS. I...

Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)
In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder, I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux movement after all. For a minute. Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to go about insta...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] IBM for Linux-on-Cell and Linux-on-Power
Reposted (different source with more details): IBM seeds new embedded Linux projects in Brazil ,----[ Quote ] | IBM will expand its Brazilian Linux Technology Center (LTC), in order | to advance several projects of interest to embedded Linux developers. | The $2.2M investment will further projects devoted to Linux-on-Cell | and Linux-on-Power, Linux ease-of-use, virtualization, and | government security certifications for Linux. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9856981505.html ...

[News] [Linux] Schools in Russia Install Linux
Experiment: first schools install Linux ,----[ Quote ] | "If the results are positive, the committee will suggest installing | Linux in all schools", Igor Bazlov added. `---- http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/06/05/253453 Related: Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead. | | [..] | | According to Karpushin, schools would ...

Not able instal linux(problem in partioning the Linux)
i have Windows xp in my system, i am using 80gb hard disk. in that i have used 70 GB for windows Xp and i left 10 GB free for Linux.... i want to install Red hat linux 9.0. I can boot the red hat linux for the installation but when i go to the step of partitioning for linux. i can make only two partitions like /, and /boot.. or swap and /, or any two combinations if i go for the... more =BB by kirankumar.277@gmail.com - 11:53am - 1 new of 1 message ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

IBM hates Linux (by Oracle)--further Linux fragmentation
Not good for the Linux franchise. RL This weekend's Herald Tribune- BOSTON (Reuters) - IBM (IBM.N: Quote, Profile , Research) is not ready to guarantee that its computer programs are compatible with Oracle Corp.'s (ORCL.O: Quote, Profile , Research) recently launched version of the Linux operating system, an IBM spokesman said on Friday. This means that if IBM software programs turn out to be incompatible with Oracle Enterprise Linux, then it will be up to Oracle -- and not IBM -- to resolve the issue, said IBM spokesman Matthew McMahon. Oracle, which started selling Linux in Octo...

[News] [Linux] IBM Reaches Further to Linux, Development
IBM looks to open up development ,----[ Quote ] | IBM is kicking off an experiment to open up its software development | process in a way that mirrors the creation of open source applications. `---- http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2190484/ibm-looks-open-development IBM pAVEs the way for x86 Linux apps ,----[ Quote ] | Developers could continue to write Linux apps on their x86 | workstations, and then take advantage of the scalability and | efficiencies inherent in the POWER architecture when it comes | time to deploy the app. `---- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/ibm-p_ave/ ...

Linux: Damn Small Linux freezes up during install
"I'm trying to install DSL 4.2.5 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I've specified "dsl noacpi noapm" at the boot prompt, but it appears to still get frozen shortly after skipping the ACPI work (it freezes immediately the message "Skipping ACPI Bios detection as requested on boot commandline."). Anyone have any other ideas to try?" http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/damnsmalllinux-42/dsl-4.2.5-install-freezes-computer-624067/?highlight=freezes Results 1 - 10 of about 2,610 for "linux freezes" Results 1 - 10 of about 34,300 for "windows f...

[News] Video Proves That Linux Installation Easier Than OS X, Vista Installation
Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX, | and Ubuntu. `---- http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI Very recent items that support this: Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps ,----[ Quote ] | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on | Windows or the Mac OS. | | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they&...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Web resources about - Linux install on IBM iSeries... - comp.os.linux.setup

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

Google: Cardboard Apps Surpass 25 Million Installs on Google Play
... 2015. According to Google, there are more than 1,000 Cardboard-supported apps on Google Play, with the No. 1 Cardboard app (based on installs, ...

How to install Android on a PC
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world, but that does not mean it can’t be installed on the desktop. There are many ...

NowGaming on Apple TV: Which games should I install first?
... and help you narrow down the choices even further by giving you my take on the titles. This week, Ill be looking at the First Games to Install ...

Wattway will install 600 miles of solar roads in France
Filed under: Green , Plants/Manufacturing , Europe , Solar France's Colas says each kilometer along the "Wattway" can power 5,000 homes.

Samsung is now allowing users to install ad blockers on its phones
Following in Apple's footsteps once again, Samsung added support for content and ad blockers to its pre-installed browser over the weekend. As ...